Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more

on March 22, 2015
Very far fetched and sometimes hard to believe. She never broches the subject of birth control or just keeping your legs closed. I think there's more to the story if her Mother was interviewed. I do want to read her second book to see if she has more to offer. She is a Christian now fighting against abortion now. Over all she was just a pawn that people looking to justify their own demons used. The writer needs to look for a new career because Andy does bulls*** a new low!
on March 1, 2015
Great book
on December 21, 2014
Norma McCorvey’s first book is a gripping tale of her life. I hated to read much of her story and felt very bad for her while I was reading it. She recounts being molested as a child by her friend, later by a nun, and eventually abused by her husband. Her mother was cruel to her throughout her life, she has a failed suicide attempt, and battled drunkenness and substance abuse for years.

I did not care for the crude language used throughout her book. The “f” and “gd” words were frequent, and that really turns me off.

From a literary standpoint the book was poorly written. Sentence fragments, misplaced modifiers, and run-on sentences abound.

I read McCorvey’s second book (Won by Love) before I knew about this one. In that book she records how she pulled a 180 in her life. She is now a born-again Christian who ended her lesbian, drug addict lifestyle, and she is a pro-life spokesperson. It was funny reading this book knowing where she is now. All of her hate-filled criticisms of the “anti-choicers” and “terrorists” are absent from her second book.

If you want to know the real Roe, read her book Won by Love. But if you want to know her full story, I am Roe is an important part.
on May 18, 2014
I meant to get the book which details McCorvey's conversion to pro-life. After realizing what i had purchased, i threw I Am Roe directly into the trash.
on January 27, 2013
I bought this book to use as part of my research on Roe v. Wade. The only reason I gave it any stars is that it did help with some biographical information on Norma McCorvey. However, the book is poorly written. McCorvey discusses events with almost no reference to actual dates. For example, she describes her second pregnancy and birth, without ever saying the year in which this occurred. Without reference to dates, it is hard to follow from a research prospective. In addition, McCorvey has given many, many contradictory statements about her life, especially in regard to her participation in the Roe case.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon January 11, 2013
Norma Leah McCorvey (born 1947), under the legal pseudonym "Jane Roe", was the plaintiff in the 1973 Roe v. Wade case that made abortion legal in this country. She later became a Christian, as detailed in her book, Won by Love: Norma McCorvey, Jane Roe of Roe V. Wade, Speaks Out for the Unborn As She Shares Her New Conviction for Life.

She wrote in the first chapter of this 1994 book, "I do not fit many people's idea of a historical role model. For one thing, I am a woman who loves women. For much of my life, I have openly lived a lesbian lifestyle." (Pg. 2) Later, she elaborates, "All I knew was that I belonged with these other women... We were women who loved women... What we were, because we were lesbians, were outsiders. Together." (Pg. 65) She recalls, "I came out... in the fall of 1989... I've had few fears or problems about answering questions about my sexuality or my lifestyle." (Pg. 195)

When she was pregnant for the third time and wanted an abortion, she consulted a lawyer, who "looked at me, and said the most important words I'd hear in my entire life: Norma... I know a couple of young lawyers who are looking for a pregnant woman who wants an abortion. A woman just like you. The reason is, they need her to be a plaintiff in a lawsuit, to help them overturn the Texas law against abortions." (Pg. 113) She agreed the next day, because "the honest truth is that ... I was simply at the end of my rope. At a dead end. I just didn't know what else to do." (Pg. 115) [Ironically, since the case lasted three years, she did NOT have an abortion (pg. 137); her baby was put up for adoption.] She also admits frankly that, contrary to her early claims that she had been raped (Pg. 109, 122, 164), this was untrue, and had been said to hopefully enable her to be given an abortion under an exception in the Texas law.

Significantly, she argues, "Decisions concerning childbearing are necessarily intimate, personal, and private... Unfortunately, there are people who want to return to a time when this right was suppressed... They say that abortion is a controversial issue, but ... privacy should not be controversial. It is a constitutional right." (PG. 207-208)

This book is a fascinating story of the woman behind the famous case. (But make sure to read 'Won by Love,' to get the "rest of the story.")
on November 12, 2012
I bought this book to read the complete change of heart from Norma McCorvey. I bought Won by Love, the story of her conversion from pro-choice to pro-life. In order to follow her journey I needed to read her first book first. It confirmed the fact that most women who have been sexually molested, raped, or abused self-medicate with drugs and alcohol and engage in promiscuous behavior.
on March 12, 2009
This book was obviously written largely by "Roe's" cowriter, given her lack of education. However, it is well-written and quite absorbing. I never knew anything about this person who brought about legal abortion-I guess I always assumed she was a well-educated and self-sufficient woman who wanted to challenge the law's stance on a woman and her body. As it turns out, that is completely the opposite life circumstances of this person. She was poor, uneducated, abused, and spent time in reform school as an adolescent. She had her first baby taken from her by her mother (an absolutely horrible idea in this case), gave up her second one, and because the wheels of the legal system take so long to move, had to complete her third pregnancy (the one in question for the court case) even though she "won" eventually. Even then, it doesn't appear she realized the impact of this case. I wish her well and hope she has found peace in her life. The book gives you a clear look at a life that was definitely not conducive to sane motherhood. It does not have any religious tentacles to reach out and try to condemn the woman, just a troubling look at a troubling life. This is a good read, but be prepared to shake your head at the obstacles this woman has faced all her life.
on July 28, 2008
Norma McCorvey's life was pathetic and she was repeatedly victimized by others including the lawyers who were looking for a way to take the issue of abortion to the U.S. Supreme Court. McCorvey became Roe and unwittingly set a landmark legal decision in motion.

Reading this book is important in understanding that there really wasn't a human side to Roe v. Wade, just feminist lawyers pushing their agenda.
on May 3, 2004
This self-serving ghosted autobiography of the "real" Jane Roe does immense harm to the cause of women's reproductive rights. The decision to end a human life - and a growing human fetus is unquestionably a form of life - needs to be taken with the utmost integrity and responsibility. Both qualities are entirely antithetical to McCorvey-Roe's character.
Frequently portrayed as a "hero" and even a role model, Norma McCorvey nee Nelson is or was, by her own admission, a liar, a thief, an ingrate, a bawd, a drunk, a drug addict, a drug dealer and a leech. She told the lawyers who fought Roe vs Wade that she had been raped when her third pregnancy, like the second, was in fact the result of one of her numerous casual affairs, during which she evidently took no contraceptive measures despite their wide availability at the time (1968).
Is it any wonder that her mother, whom she excoriates, adopted McCorvey's first child (of her short-lived marriage) then acted to keep McCorvey at arm's length? The wisdom of this decision may be seen in the fact that the child, a daughter, apparently grew into a fine, responsible adult.
Parts of the book are a pro-abortion (as opposed to pro-choice) polemic. Some of this is well presented and is presumably the contribution of McCorvey's co-author; on the evidence here it seems doubtful that she has the intellect to understand let alone voice such arguments.
However, some unthinking phrases are no doubt vintage McCorvey. How about: "... the Roe decision ... was the beginning of a glorious era of women's reproductive freedom and happiness." Or her disdain over the fact that some people opposed to abortion as "a last-chance form of birth control" (in her own case it was first-chance) seek to regulate this commerce in feticide by having a wife require the acquiescence of her husband, and a minor that of her parents.
In McCorvey's view, all opponents of unbridled abortion on demand are "fanatics ... trying to inflict their own religious views on others, still trying to hide their anti-women feelings ..." What about all the women, and there are millions, who hold human life to be important, even sacred?
And how's this for sheer unadulterated, breathtaking hypocrisy: "If anti-free-choice forces are allowed to impose moral agendas on our society, we will lose the right to freely accept the responsibity for ourselves and our children."
Many today accept that there is a case for abortion under certain circumstances. But this squalid, vicious, whining harangue by one who appears never to have taken responsibility for anything in her entire life, including her own three children, utterly fails to make it.