4.0 out of 5 stars Microscope for home school
Published on February 9, 2012 by Jay

3.0 out of 5 stars okay
I bought this for my son a Christmas present the adjustment knob does not stay where you put it you must hold the knob while you look at your slide for it to stay in focus. That is an inconveniece that I'd rather not like to have to deal with.
Published 18 months ago by msbdoll

4.0 out of 5 stars Microscope for home school, February 9, 2012
Jay (Great State of Texas!) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AmScope M100C-LED 40x-1000x All-Metal Student Cordless LED Field Biological Compound Microscope with All Optical Glass Lenses (Misc.)
We're Home schooling some boys grade equivalents 6-8. They can be rough on things so I didn't want a plastic toy and I wanted plenty of magnification to see what we can see. This microscope did not disappoint me. Knowing that many if not all of the lesser microscopes offered have plastic "lenses" this 'scope's "optical glass lenses" appealed to me. Images are sharp and clear. Light is provided by either batteries (3ea/AAA) or a wall outlet and there is a well placed easily manipulated switch on the base. You can drag this thing along on a field trip if you wanted to though I can't imagine why you would. The frame/body is all metal as advertised. The bottom cover is plastic but that's of no consequence. This unit is made in China and I don't buy the $450 value claim one bit. But it's well worth the $90+ shipping which can be avoided if you want to use an Amazon offer. But I bought the scope and an Amscope 50 pc prepared slide box and altogether my shipping was only $4something. I don't know what yours would be.
The scope came with a transformer and 2 WF view finders though I have not yet figured out how to install the second. It is different from the one that came installed. One person reported their scope came badly packed. Not mine. The instrument came in a thick, fitted Styrofoam box, inside of a cardboard box that was packed in yet another box along with the additional prepared slides I'd purchased in a padded container with the extra spaces filled with large bubble packs. It arrived in fine condition and everything tight.
Harking back to not knowing how to install that second view finder, the "instructions" (I can hardly call them that) are something less than useless as another reviewer reported. That is why I only gave 4 stars to this. Consider the instrument itself 5/star. But, if I used a microscope in school, and I most likely did, it was so long ago I cannot recall it. Therefor the lack of instructions are a bit aggravating. I decided against forking out the money for a book about it figuring (rightly it turns out) there's plenty of free information available on the web. But, purchasers of this scope should be prepared to do one or the other.
A final word. In doing the web research, I discovered that magnification for the 1000x might want immersion oil but to beware that it is not for all lenses and there's nought to tell you yea or nay on this scope. There's a toll free number on the paperwork so I called it. I am happy to report there were no recordings and a gen-u-ine live hu-man being actually answered the phone.(8^o I quickly got my answer, it's fine to use the oil if necessary. So +1 for customer service.
That wraps this up. I tried to make it useful rather than just glib praise or complaint. I hope it's of use to someone out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fodder for the imagination!, January 19, 2012
This is hands down one of the best purchases I have made in a long time (right on Santa)! I have five children between the ages of 1 and 10 and they ALL enjoy seeing things under the microscope, from onion cells, to bucchal cells, to irridescent insect wings. I can't wait until the weather gets warmer and they can go outside and find new and more exciting things to look at. Very high quality. I would recommend that if you are considering a microscope for kids to use, that you get some prepared slides to go with it. AmScope makes these too, and I am so glad that I got some of those too. Ah, to see the world in a grain of sand...

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good for the Price, November 7, 2012
I ordered the "AmScope 40x-1000x All-Metal Student Cordless LED Field Biological Compound Microscope with All Optical Glass Lenses" to teach my daughter about science. The microscope arrived properly packaged and in good condition. This is the SX-BL unit based on the documentation that came with the unit. The images included in the product description give a good idea of how items will appear in the microscope when it is used properly. The unit itself is lightweight but capable. Some notes:

There is no fine control knob. This can make focusing at high magnifications tricky. Use very small increments, and focus at lower magnifications first.

There is no explanation for the use of the condenser aperture (The rotating plastic disk with the various sized holes in it attached to the underside of the stage) in the instructions.

The eyepiece is easily replaced with the aid of a 2mm #0 Phillips head screwdriver. I got mine at Radio Shack. There is a small brass set screw on the barrel of the microscope that holds the eyepiece in place. Back the screw out until the eyepiece comes free when swapping the 10X and 25X eyepieces. Combined with the 4X, 10X and 40X objectives that gives 40X-100X-250X-400X-1000X magnification steps. I will have to double check, but believe these are standard DIN objectives.

All in all a solid piece of equipment for a VERY reasonable price.

3.0 out of 5 stars okay, January 8, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Scientist, July 17, 2013
My seven year old son loves this scope, I've had no issues whatsoever with it, neither has he, also purchased the prepared slides, along with a set of new ones for further investigation by the little guy. I never push, just encourage him in whatever direction he leans, this was totally his idea, you can't imagine my joy in his interest of science. If it holds up he'll be using this thru high school.

5.0 out of 5 stars Microscope review, November 30, 2012
Excellent scope for beginner scientists. Sturdy, easy to use, and good quality for the cost. Good quality lenses and metal components.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Microscope, April 5, 2012
This is a great Microscope it has an LED light magnifies like it said it has a wall plug so you don't have to use batteries has a dust cover it has great focusing and it looks cool but there is one tiny problem this is why I picked 4 stars the WF25 eye piece that makes you have 1000x does not fit the microscope. And you can see the pictures I took where you look at pictures. I took pictures with the 1000x by holding it to the lens and taking a picture. But this is still the best microscope I've ever had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, June 27, 2013
I was nervous this would be poor quality for the price. I bought 3 different ones from stores that I returned because they didn't work well. This one was cheaper than the other 2 and the images/build quality are great. Far beyond my expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Live louse at 40x and 100x, January 5, 2014
Jonathan E. Kovaciny (Mankato, MN United States) - See all my reviews
Length:: 0:49 Mins

This is a louse that was found on my daughter's head. All the lice are now dead and my daughter is fine!

This video was taken by holding a video camera up to the eyepiece of our AmScope model M100C-LED, so the actual view using your eye isn't so tunneled. We set the louse on top of a prepared slide, which is the pink material in the first part of the video. It was on its back, so you can see it moving its legs. The first nine seconds of this video is at 40x, and the rest is at 100x. We looked at the louse at 400x also, but I couldn't get decent video at that magnification. If you really want photo or videos, consider a different microscope with a built-in camera.

This was a neat, educational, and gross way to show my daughter what was actually crawling around on her head. We also looked at nits and at another louse where you could see the blood inside its body at 100x and 250x, but we didn't take video of that.

No complaints with the microscope at all; it's solidly built and of good quality all around. I expect it to last for many years of use.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad manual, confusing instructions, dirty lense, August 23, 2013
The product was delivered, as promised.
The quality of product is good.
The problem with this microscope is
1) the manual includes is for 3 models... Some have mirrors some don't , , and manual does not go in any detail, the manual is worthless.
We got a 25x eye piece, shipped in the box with the microscope ... I have a BS in engineering, and I could not for the life of me how to switch the 10x eye piece with the 25 x eye piece..
2) the lens was dirt when we got the microscope, ... And every thing we looked at had a distraction or light ray due to dirty lens

There was no cleaning fluid included with unit !
It just says don't use organic material to clean lens and it indicates to clean lens with aether !!
Aether .... Yes I got that laying around the house !!

The product was shipped with filthy lens with grease spots ( used to lubricate attached components )

As indicated the body of the scope is heavy duty, but workmanship .... Bad

Rate and Discover Movies