5.0 out of 5 stars Very lightweight but works
Being used to heavy stereo microscopes, I found this one shockingly light. But it works great. 20x may not seem like much but it is a good power for bugs, jewelery, and fabrics. The interocular adjustment fits my adult face, so it is not just for kids. View is clear, though you have to carefully center both eyes to see in stereo. Comes with a vinyl dust cover.
Published 20 months ago by Robert I. Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent product
Published 19 months ago by JG

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very lightweight but works, November 12, 2012
Robert I. Thomas (Little Rock, AR USA) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent product, January 1, 2013
This review is from: AmScope SE100 Portable Stereo Kids Microscope 20X (Misc.)
Bought this for my wife and four kids - we are homeschoolers. The microscope seems robust enough; was surprised it weighs only a pound. But there is an apparent short in the battery compartment because the light will not turn off (have to remove one battery). In fact, the battery compartment immediately appeared quite cheap. It is advertised as a $300 microscope but it clearly is not. Because I bought it for about $50, I'm still happy with the purchase and I think I'll be able to fix the short. The light is nice and bright and the unit works for our intentions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Child's first Microscope., December 29, 2012
This review is from: AmScope SE100 Portable Stereo Kids Microscope 20X (Misc.)
For a child's first microscope this is a pretty good choice. It is light weight but it also seems pretty sturdy. It doesn't do much at 20x but it does show bugs and rocks. I purchased this as a Christmas gift for my son. At eight, he thinks it's great. For me, it's so so, as I was expecting more detail.

It's super simple to use. I like items that have a paragraph on how to put things together. It's very easily put together so much so my son can do it with no problem. It takes a bit more skill (which he will gain in time) to focus it. It focused only by moving the top apparatus up and down by the knobs on the side. Pretty easy.

One does have to center the subject, but it has a guide in the form of a "light". Without the light turned on, it creates a reflect light in the form of three small dots on the sample so one can center the sample or the slide precisely where the subject can be seem. It has clips to hold the sample. The light, I feel, must be turned on to get the best optics.

It comes with a dust cover.

It is fun to use with my son and it does create quality time together.

I'd say that this is good for...maybe two years before graduating to a more powerful microscope.

2.0 out of 5 stars yes it works - but, September 8, 2013
This review is from: AmScope SE100 Portable Stereo Kids Microscope 20X (Misc.)
fell for the - if it was actually originally in the hundreds of dollars and dropped to the sale price, it must be at least acceptable for my 3 year old. That was where I went wrong - first, I had to clean every piece because there was some kind of oil(?)grease(?)substance all over everything. Then the makeup on the microscope should have had them reduce the price even more due to its poor quality. Then, I realized that there were no slides or anything that we could look at. I usually try something for at least a week before I make decisions but with this microscope, I knew within minutes that it was not for my son - at any age. We ended up going to Walmart and purchasing a microscope kit that was at a comparable price and had all the sample slides necessary for my son to find playing with it fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars exactly what we were looking for, January 1, 2013
This review is from: AmScope SE100 Portable Stereo Kids Microscope 20X (Misc.)
My daughter asked Santa for a microscope. She wanted to look at bugs, rocks, etc.
This is exactly what she wanted. We're all having fun with it.!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing to view, February 20, 2013
This review is from: AmScope SE100 Portable Stereo Kids Microscope 20X (Misc.)
This microscope is perfect for our grandchildren to discover a host of new things in their own backyard. I wish it would have come with at least a couple of prepared slides for us to enjoy when first opened. Instead, we had to order a set of prepared slides and also unused slides before we could even show our grandchildren how to use it.

2.0 out of 5 stars CHEAP!, January 19, 2013
This review is from: AmScope SE100 Portable Stereo Kids Microscope 20X (Misc.)
I guess you get what you pay for with this. My friend had one and I thought I was buying the same thing. However, her's is MUCH more sturdy and durable. THIS, however, is made of plastic and very lightweight. Sorry, but for the $50 I spent on it, I expected much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect gift, June 27, 2014
This review is from: AmScope SE100 Portable Stereo Kids Microscope 20X (Misc.)
I chose this product as a gift for my granddaughter as she fascinated by insects, stones, and the like. This product has proved to be a far better microscope than perhaps the price would indicate. It's been a sure-fire hit and continues to help stimulate an inquisitive mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my grandson's 6th birthday present, June 12, 2014
Sheryl Mixey (Davenport, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AmScope SE100 Portable Stereo Kids Microscope 20X (Misc.)
This stereo microscope is just perfect for my grandson. It is easy to operate. Easy to focus. Lightweight. He can take it outside and look at all sorts of things because it has batteries for the light if you need a light outside. Not like my dissecting scope that needs to be plugged in. It"s power of 20X is just right; its size is just right. It is just perfect for him. One bad thing happened when we got it -- the batteries that came with it were burst and corroded. I certainly can overlook that when everything else is so much fun!!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Grandson Loved It!, February 3, 2014
This review is from: AmScope SE100 Portable Stereo Kids Microscope 20X (Misc.)
He spent the whole of the evening looking at slides of hair and a drop of water as well as prepared slides I purchased with it. What I think doesn't matter, since I got it for him. That he clearly loved it made my day.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›