5.0 out of 5 stars Back to Basics--our favorite fridge is "retro"
Published on February 24, 2012 by Joanna Daneman

1.0 out of 5 stars Nightmare Product
Published 21 months ago by Steveoh

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to Basics--our favorite fridge is "retro", February 24, 2012
This review is from: Amana 21.9 cu. ft. Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator, ABB2224WEW, White (Misc.)
I've been through several types of refrigerators in the last number of years, and strangely enough, despite the current trend for side-by-side or French Door refrigerators, I've gone back to the basics and prefer the older style top-bottom fridge. And I like the freezer on the bottom, as well. And, even more astonishing, I like white appliances. My kitchen has plain white cabinetry and the white appliances fit seamlessly into the facades, where in my opinion, stainless steel would look a bit jarring. Since some of my appliances but not all needed replacing, I decided to stay with white. AND....it is easier to clean. No fingerprints.

This model of refrigerator has some advantages and a few disadvantages.

The advantages:

The shelves are designed to contain spills (yes, I've had this happen. It's ugly when you have to wipe out spilled milk or soup.)

There is a half-height deli drawer for cheese or cold meats.

There are two vegetable drawers, adjusted to keep vegetables at the proper humidity.

The freezer has a top basket that slides, so you can put frequently-used items or flat items on top (like chicken breasts and chicken thighs, in my case, pretty much my staple food.) The bottom is deep enough for whole poultry or containers of frozen soups.

You can change the height of the door bins, so that if you need space for more tall bottles or cartons, you have it.

Disadvantages:

Though you get a wider freezer than a side-by-side, you have to bend down to riffle through the freezer. It is not at eye-level height when standing.

No door water dispenser or ice. Ice maker in the freezer section only.

Note the depth of the unit is 33 3/8" with handle sticking out. And the width is 32 5/8th. Some people have discovered that OLDER kitchens have cabinet and counter depths that are too shallow for some newer models of refrigerators. You need to measure.

Also note that this unit is not as inexpensive as some side-by-side models with water and ice dispenser in the door, which surprised me. This unit is just shy of 22 cubic feet capacity and the side-by-side is actually less, and has 25 cubic feet.

It is tier-1 Energy Efficient, and chances are, more efficient than a decade or older unit you may own, saving you on electricity.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nightmare Product, March 15, 2013
I also am a return Amana customer. This is a nightmare product, as another reviewer states. There is Whirlpool/Amana known problem with the bottom freezer drain design on this model. Ice builds up and finally drips water onto the kitchen floor. Mine was "repaired" (just a temporary fix of defrosting it with a hot water defrost of the drain tube) under warranty once, and continues to occur as noted throughout the internet. Customer service is willing to link a fix for it to a poorly reviewed Yelp repair company (the same they sent the first time) if I will pay for it this time!! Really unfortunate that the company doesn't correct the design, and recall this product. STAY AWAY if you want peace in your kitchen! Good luck with your shopping...

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed!, March 14, 2013
I had an Amana for over 20 years with no problems but it was very rusty and dirty so I decided
to replace. The plastic piece (on this new fridge) between the bins broke and the replacement went also.
In little under 2 years I went to unplug to clean underneath and behind the fridge and the thermostat went immediately.
Between waiting for the repair guy and now a replacement part it is going on two weeks and I have had to discard
food. I would recommend unplugging the refrigerator while the warranty is
in effect to see if you too see a correlation between that
and the demise of the thermostat! I have been led to believe that appliances do
not last long (under 5 years?) due to the computerized energy-efficient "gadgets" that are now used.
I think there is also built-in obsolescence. Good luck with your appliances.
Just to add: The freezer bottom fills with water as the water is not draining properly (drain-pipe iced?)
and then the water freezes and eventually starts to flow over onto my kitchen floor. From what I have researched - I can
defrost or use a hairdryer on the drain or pour hot water down. I chop away at the ice periodically.
What a nightmare this fridge is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice and roomy-- and cold, of course. September 2013 UPDATE, July 9, 2012
**UPDATE**
I've had this fridge for a little over a year. It still cools just as well, but it has become kind of noisy. It's not noisy all the time, but it seems to cycle with a bit more effort than it used to. I haven't changed my use of it-- it's still my back up fridge, kept pretty full with milk, oj, half and half and not opened as much as the main fridge. I still really like how roomy the main compartment is, but the freezer is pretty much a bust for me. It seems like no matter what I keep in it, it snags when I try and open and close the door.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

I just realized that I've had this fridge for about a month and haven't written anything about it. Of course it is new, so the usual caveat with any review I write (about appliances) is that only time will tell.

It is the same size as my other newer fridge (I bought this one to replace a fridge that was dark brown-- when was that color last available?) It is considerably smaller than the older one was, but it is sitting in my housekeeping room, so it doesn't have to fit into the kitchen "nooks" that some people have for fridges.

I love how much room there is in the fridge. I can fit in opened wine bottles (okay, so I don't leave many bottles that NEED refrigeration) large gallon jugs and plenty of useless condiments into the side compartments. Ooodles of more room than my old fridge.

Why the 4 stars-- bottom freezer is very underwhelming. It is small and has too many drawer divider thingies for the small space. I like that the fridge is more on the level with my head, but the freezer on this fridge is something I put off opening up and going into. Everything is jammed and piled in and something always sticks when I try and close the door. This is my first lower freezer fridge, and I don't see buying another.

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed 3-weeks after 1-Yr warranty expired, July 2, 2013
Glen (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
Until this week, I thought I liked this fridge. But it stopped cooling and became noisier 3-weeks after the 1-year warranty expired.
The local dealer directed me to their favorite repair outfit, but no-one showed or called.
Amana service arranged a repairman for the next day - who later called to tell me they could look at it in about a week.

I'm NOT happy with a fridge that can't make it for more than a year, and finding someone to do the repair is a nightmare.
Time to abandon Amana and find a company that makes decent appliances. Do those exist anymore?

EDIT 2-days later: Amana tells me that this model has a known problem that they will cover to repair.
We had turned it off to empty and clean it. When the Repairman finally arrived, it "seemed" to be cooling so he left thinking that a compressor cooling fan had stopped and was working now. 24-hours later, of course, it's cooling partially; fridge is barely cool and the freezer is about what you'd expect for the fridge. Now I have to wait over the 4th-of-July holiday to get the repairman back and FIX the thing (4+ more days). While it's nice to know that Amana is standing behind it, this is day #7 and no working fridge yet with the prospect of this taking another few days.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amana refrigerator model ABB2224WEW2, August 6, 2013
Purchased this refrigerator on 7/10/2013. So far the unit has performed as expected. The upper refrigerator section is laid out well and has plenty of room and has good visibility which was the main reason we purchased this unit. We also got the ice maker option which was installed by the seller at our home. The ice maker is in the freezer section and requires the freezer to be opened to access, but we knew that going in. The freezer is typical of a drawer freezer and does not have the easy access/visibility of the upper freezer or double door unit. We don't use the freezer all that much so having the refrig. on top is a better option for us. Also the single door upper refrigerator option provides ample room, flexibility and visibility for storing items used the most. Refrig. door storage is well laid out and very adequate.

ADDITIONAL INFO 9-9-13. Some people have said they have had problems with water leaking on the floor. This was apparently caused by a drainage tube that was was the wrong size or made of the wrong material??? Anyhow this problem has been fixed. If you don't know if yours has the revised tube get in touch with Amana/Whirlpool website and they can check your Model # against the revised part # and make sure yours has the revised drain tube installed. If not updated make sure to call your dealer and have it updated/changed. When I checked with their Customer Service Help Line I found that mine had the revised tube...I have had no problems with the unit to date.

FOR YOUR INFO 9-9-13 DOOR ALARM. I did purchase an aftermarket door alarm. It is a "door left open" alarm made by Alectro Systems Inc., www.alectro.ca, Model DA10. If door is left open it will start beeping after 45 sec. and this time is adjustable... mounts on the outside of the refrig. door near the top. Beeps once each time the door is opened to let you know battery/unit is working OK. Needs one 9 volt batt. which they say should last a year. Good investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars amana refrigrator, December 6, 2012
this item was a top rating in consumer reports. after using it, i fully understand the rating and agree with it. the delivery personnel were excellent. will buy form this vendor again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Ever!, June 19, 2014
A couple of months beyond warranty, the problems started. Items in the refrigerator section were freezing despite changing settings. A $300 repair bill later, water began puddling onto the floor. Calls to both Amana and the retailer were met with sympathy, but we were told that "these things happen to computerized appliances" and that the next time we should invest in an extended warranty. We'll cut our losses, dump the Amana, chalk it up as an expensive lesson learned.