Top positive review
24 people found this helpful
Amana NFW7200TW door lock problems ~ DOOR OPEN
on March 26, 2013
F.Y.I. Having had a problem with the door lock on my washer, I thought I'd post the fix here.
*** NOTES ***
A. When assembled, there is a "white plastic tab" at the bottom of the door latch assembly. This is evidently/presumably to get the door open if it is in the "locked"/door shut position. This did not apply/work as a fix for mine, since the was in the open position, so I am guessing at this. Give it a try if your door will not come open.
B. The Model & Serial numbers are on a decal BEHIND the door. Bad news if you can't get it open, huh? College graduate decided where to put it. D-U-H! Record it someplace else for future reference.
On to the "FIX"!
FIRST of all, It's probably NOT broken/bad.
My locking mechanism "tripped" shut WITH THE DOOR OPEN (unknown how it happened). This made the task a little bit easier to fix, door was open. No "repair/replacement" is needed.
1. Unplug washer from outlet.
2. Remove the two (2) screws in the rear/top corners from the top cover. Pull toward the rear and up to remove it. No need to even move the washer!
3. Remove the two (2) screws from the front panel securing the door latch (behind the door).
4. Remove the one (1) screw from the front panel securing the safety switch (behind the door).
5. Disconnect the three (3) wiring disconnects from the switch.
6. Remove entire assembly.
7. CAREFULLY remove the black cover from the white body, so you do not positionally disturb anything inside.
8. There is a metal "teter-totter" mechanism on the opposite end from the solenoid. To "trip" the lock back to the OPEN position, so the door can be closed: Push down on the furtherest end of the "teter-totter" mechanism from the solenoid. The lock will snap open. FIXED !
9. I re-greased it where there was evidence of grease applied at the factory
Hope this helps. Good Luck
Any ???, email@example.com