on March 30, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
First, Amazon has these delivered via JBHunt, and that experience was great. They call when they say they will, they're friendly, and they know what they're doing. And they arrived when they said they would, put the fridge in the place, asked if I wanted them to take mine to recycle...very professional service. You might find the fridge itself for a couple bucks cheaper, but then you get to wrestle with a 183 pound fridge. I didn't even touch this one...delivered, installed, and I just transferred the food.

Onto the actual fridge. My first thought was that it looked pretty sleek (almost like plastic, but it's certainly metal.) Slightly larger than my old Frigidaire, it fit into the spot and everything was going well. The door is reversible, but it came with the hinges on the right side, just like I needed it, so that was an added bonus.

About the door - opening the door, there are various compartments, which is good. However, the "Quench Essentials" spot (basically, a large bin on the door they think you'll put drinks in) isn't quite as firm as the other shelves, and has a bit of rattle to it. Not a big deal, but it's not solid feeling like the other shelves. And the other shelves...the 2nd to the bottom shelve is large to accommodate gallon-jugs, but there's actually one more shelf beneath it that you can use to keep everything you'd like to forget about: standing up, if you open the door, the 2nd to last shelf blocks the view of the very bottom shelf.

The door shelves: I've had an issue with a child closing my previous fridge by pulling on the shelf itself, and then having the shelf snap right down the middle. This Amana shelves feel a bit sturdier, and not all of them span the entire door, so here's hoping that they're end up being a bit more durable. They certainly feel a lot more durable than even the brand-new replacements I've been buying for my other fridge.

The freezer has door shelves as well, but they are incredibly narrow. You can squeeze a bag of frozen veggies in there, but it will NOT hold a carton of icecream. In fact, the depth of the freezer door shelf can hold ONE blue-ice ice chest thing...two would be too wide. The rest of the freezer has plenty of space with the top and bottom shelf being used to organize everything.

The drawers/crispers in the fridge are also a little different from what I'm used to. First off, the plastic seems a bit cheaper (as in, it could crack easier) than my Frigidaire, but a couple quick hits with a glass jar didn't make it snap right away, so maybe it's thinner but just as strong. I'm also used to the drawers opening on the top via some kind of tab. These drawers open from the bottom, via an opening to put your fingers and pull. The crispers have independent humidity controls, so you can put most of your veggies on the larger (left side) one, and other items in the smaller one, which is an improvement over the other fridge, where the drawers were the same size, but I often had one drawer overfilled, and other with 2 items in it.

The fridge cooled down a lot faster than I thought it would, and moving everything from the old to the new didn't give any surprises: no "what, it doesn't have..." or "wow! it has a..." Except, when opening this one, the hand grips are on the side which is a little weird for me to grab at - but I quickly found they also have a ridge on the top for folks like me that just want to grab the top of the door and reel the thing open.

Really, this is a very basic fridge that, aside from personal preferences of how you want your drawers laid out...does what everyone would expect from it: keeps thing cold (and frozen), and does do without making much noise. My biggest complaint is that the freezer door shelves are so narrow that they likely won't find much use, but while narrow, they're very sturdy.

For whatever reason, Amana points out that the temp controls are in the front of the fridge. Yeah, that's nice, but my last 2 fridges have had that and I haven't seen anyone put controls in the back for some time. Maybe somebody does...

Thus far, I'd recommend this fridge to anyone looking for a basic fridge. It looks nice, works well, and depending on the types of food you buy and your desired layout, could be an ideal small fridge.

That's it for the first impressions. Will update if anything changes, good or bad.

*UPDATE 1*
OK, so the bottom door shelf on the fridge has all the contents hidden by the 2nd to the bottom shelf. But that's not all! I'm about average height for a guy, around 6 foot. Opening the fridge door and standing there to find something to eat, the width of the freezer door (closed) also hides the top shelf of the fridge! This was not a problem with my old Frigidaire, but it's kind of annoying so I have to stoop down just to see what's in 2 different areas of the fridge. Probably not a problem for shorter folks, but it is for me, so I'm going down to 3 stars (which means "It's OK" - not great and not bad, either.) Shorter folks may not have the problem...but my old fridge didn't have the problem, either. Still functioning great, but the ergonomics of it leave something to be desired.

*UPDATE 2*
So I'm still torn between 3 and 4 stars - it's a basic fridge, but the fact that the top shelf in the fridge and the bottom shelf on the fridge door have their contents hidden after opening the door is the biggest problem. HOWEVER, here's an added bonus I just figured out: The plastic-looking (but it is metal...really) front door exterior doubles as a DRY ERASE BOARD! Not sure how it'll hold up long term, but after a day of having dry erase ink on it, it erased cleanly and completely, and now instead of a separate board, we're just going to write directly on the fridge. Pretty nice feature, if only by accident (it certainly wasn't noted anywhere.) Two weeks later, fridge is still working like a champ, too.

**UPDATE 3*
OK, four months later...fridge is still going strong being used as the primary one in our house. Since the door of the fridge works as a dry erase board, across the top of it, we have some elegant handwriting with what we've named this fridge: "THE WHISTLER." Sometime in the past month, closing the fridge door makes the entire thing WHISTLE. Doesn't affect functionality at all, but it sounds like I would think of a person wheezing out their last breath or something. A high pitch wheeze, almost. Still a nice refrigerator, but it has a creepy whistle now.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 9, 2012
Our old refrigerator had finally died (after 20+ years. It was so nice to have a refrigerator that works. I love it.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This 19 cubic foot fridge is a fine additional to our home. Easy to slide in and install. There are no accessory, water and ice, bells and whistles to deal with- simply unpack, wipe it down and plug it in and use.

Our main unit is a large Amana with ice maker which is still ticking without problems after 15+ years of extensive use, and we love it. Overall, our experience with Amana is that they seem to produce a better product, although, at times, more expensive; however, this unit is comparable to those I've priced at Home Depot and other appliance brands.

We're a family of four, and we fill it up fast. With a constant flow of visiters and stayers, we've found this additional Amana a godsend. This size could work for a family of four with some tight planning. It has a clean slick appearance, although I would say the surface is smooth, and I would also say scratchable; it has a slight rounded contour to the doors, which I like; obviously the required reversible door, a few adjustable shelf levels, runs quietly and more or less efficiently for the listed energy expenditure; however, it is listed near the more expensive energy use level, still only ~$55/year. There are just a few temperature settings, but that hasn't been an issue.

I installed it myself since it weighs less than 200# with the use of a dolly, no problems for its size.

We're not crazy about the freezer door shelves, a bit narrow. The main door is fine along with the beverage storage and the vege drawers. No complaints, seems solid enough. Easy to wipe down and clean up. Overall, a good moderate sized unit for small family at a reasonable price.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've had a the fridge a few weeks now (will update if needed) and based on that usage here are my early impressions. I'm going to skip stats--you can tell from the above the dimensions and decide how this fits your capacity needs or not. Same with energy use, etc.

1) Delivery
I know it's not the fridge itself, but I assume if you order from Amazon this is how it will be delivered. These guys were absolutely great. Very flexible on time of delivery (they have a window but were able to narrow it without any trouble), wanted to let me know that the automated call would use the window but just to ignore it, called a little bit in advance to make sure I'd be there. They then nearly and politely took off the door and were incredibly careful about getting it through three narrow doorways into our kitchen--the last door had literally less than a 1/16th of an inch clearance. Not a mark anywhere, not a single complaint--all done in very good cheer. Everything cleaned up and then they moved the old fridge to the garage. Perhaps the best delivery experience I've ever had.

2) The Fridge itself

Organization:
I love that the crisper drawers are not symmetrical; it's more of a 2/3s-1/3 split which works out great. We always kept fruit in one but not much since it usually didn't need to be kept cold, and veggies in the other, which was always crammed and awkward. Now I can actually lay the celery flat in the drawer. It's a much more useful design. As usual, each has a humidity control

I love the clarity--I can see everything and through everything. Our old fridge had translucent rather than transparent shelving--this is so much nicer. I still actually get a little bit of pleasure whenever I open it and can look at everything

the side drawers are nicely adjustable and the bottom one holds large juice or milk containers. They mostly feel sturdy. My one minor complaint is the beverage one which feels slightly less sturdy and also is ridged (for cans I guess) so if you don't use it for soda cans things put on it will wobble. I actually just took it out so I could put taller items in the bottom--we use a lot of tall bottles of cooking wines, soy sauces, etc. and don't drink soda, so this worked for us great.

There is I'd say less room than our old fridge (roughly the same size--actually an inch shorter) for really tall items. The right one-third basically unless you want to reconfigure the shelves. It's easy to do, but if you keep a lot of very tall things--liter bottles, gallons, etc this may be an issue.

drawers are nicely sized, super-clear, and slide in and out with great ease. Much easier than our older fridge

The freezer does not have an ice-maker or even ice trays. We actually prefer this as we rarely used ice and the ice-maker in our old freezer took up valuable space better used for other things. This one is a bit larger than our old one--we prefer this ration of fridge to freezer. The side doors are a little narrow but they are extremely sturdy so we can cram things in with no fear

all in all, it is a very basic fridge and relatively small, but perfectly sized and featured for our needs. If you're looking for basic, so far it's doing great. We didn't dislike the old one--only four or five years old--but I'd say I prefer this one for organization, ease of sight, and better freezer ratio
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I received my new refrigerator last week, delivered by J.B. Hunt, and they did a terrific job of delivery and installation. I was given a phone call by them two days before delivery to set up a tentative date, and then another call on the day of delivery telling me they would be there in a few minutes. And they were! Two very nice men, unloaded, unwrapped and installed the refrigerator just where I wanted it. The entire delivery experience was totally painless. It cooled down in less than an hour and I loaded it up with the contents of the other refrigerator.

The refrigerator itself is a basic model, no frills but is very nice. It doesn't have and ice-maker or even came with ice-cube trays so you will have to buy some if you want ice with this refrigerator. It's motor is very quiet, just hums when running and according to the yellow tag it should only cost us $52.00/year on electricity to run. It's a very attractive, clean bright white refrigerator and magnets will stick to it. I was wondering if the outside material was plastic but it's metal so I'm glad about that. The only thing I could find that I'm not 100% pleased about and the reason for taking away one star is that the plastic that the crisper drawers are made from seems to be on the cheap side. I think they would crack or break if handled too roughly. And, they don't slide as easily in and out of their tracks as I would like. You need to use both hands to pull and push them or else they want to stick and bind. The refrigerator and freezer doors came hinged on the right side which is the way I prefer it. But as I understand it, you can have the delivery people change that if you want the doors to open the other way. They left me all the paperwork, manual, sales slip, etc...which I have been reading. Nothing much to report about the manual on a refrigerator. It's very easy to understand.

I have this refrigerator out in the garage where the previous refrigerator was. I kept the old fridge because nothing was wrong with it and still works fine. Since I have a big family, I have no doubt that I will be using both refrigerators to store food, but for now I am using the Amana. Gallon milk jugs fit nicely inside the door and all shelves are adjustable. I had to move some shelves around and it was very easy to do so. The crispers have little sliders underneath the handle which can adjust the air flow in them. The freezer holds about the same as my other refigerator....just average amount but I'm tall and prefer a freezer on the top vs. the bottom or even on the side. I don't like stooping while searching for something out of the freezer.

Overall, I feel this is a quality refrigerator/freezer and would be great for a back-up or even as a first refrigerator for young, new homeowners. I don't know how long it will last at this point, but I'm assuming I should get at least 10 years out of it. My other refrigerator is a Kenmore and I bought it used about 22 years ago and it's still going strong. Delivery was probably the best of any appliance I've had delivered so far. Absolutely nothing to complain about in regards to that. So far, I think this is a good refrigerator but will update this review if necessary.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
We had been looking for a replacement for our garage refrigerator ever since our 12 year old Whirlpool developed the annoying habit of tripping our GFCI outlet.

Our wish list for a replacement included energy efficiency, a spacious freezer, and reasonable capacity.

This Amana met all our criteria and added a few more:
# nice recessed handles
# decent customization options for shelves and door trays
# wheels for easy movement

This is a no-frills unit - it omits ice/water dispensers and even ice cube trays. While these would have been sorely missed in a primary refrigerator, this was just perfect for our needs, where we wanted to maximize space and efficiency. Its operating cost of approx $50/year also makes it one of the more efficient units. I even like the fact that it looks mouse-proof with limited entry points and externally chewable parts (good for late-Fall incursions).

A few not-so-greats: it is fairly hard to switch the side of the door swing (admitted that I'm not the world's best handyman); the lowermost door shelf is recessed in a rather inconvenient manner; and the door shelves do not have a very solid feel.

Nevertheless, it has performed its function well, and is one of the more reliable brands according to a leading consumer magazine. Amana appliances come from Whirlpool, which probably accounts for its reasonable showing.

Our experience with JB Hunt was also very positive. However, they do have a very limited set of days available for delivery.
VINE VOICEon April 19, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Amazon has a "White Glove" treatment for television delivery, and they used JBHunt for the delivery of this refrigerator. I felt like I was getting special "White Glove" treatment for this delivery. They called and scheduled an appointment in advance. They called to confirm the appointment, then again right before delivery, then again to let me know they were outside. They investigated the space I indicated the unit would go into and then proceeded to circumvent the entire house so as not to deal with the stairs upon bringing in the almost 200-pound refrigerator inside. They laid out mats onto the carpeting prior to walking through with the unit and even cleaned up any miniscule lint afterward.

They took care of the entire set up. I have set up this refrigerator as a backup unit; otherwise, they offered to swap out my old unit and recycle it/take it to the trash for me.

The fridge itself was well packaged, with special packets in the corners so as to prevent any unwanted scratches, etc.

As for the fridge itself, it's easy to dismiss this as a "starter" fridge.

But simply ignoring something that's no frills and basic is a mistake.

I have come to appreciate simplicity of appliances, and this unit is very simple, but very functional. It's a welcome change from my two-side-by-side door GE refrigerator that doesn't fit anything. The top freezer section alone is enough to fit twice as much as two side freezers.

Unlike with my more sophisticated GE unit, there is no separate temperature control for the different levels, and yet, I actually wound up turning down the cold because everything was being kept too cold at the factory setting.

There is an adequate amount of room for condiments on the side door, but not enough to fit several beers packs, say.

The four drawers for fruits and veggies are acceptable for a regular household, probably, but since I consume a diet that's really heavy on those, I tend to need some of the shelf space for storage too. Let me reiterate that the refrigerator keeps the cold very well, yet is gently enough on cruciferous leafy greens (kale, spinach, arugula, mixed greens, etc.).

Personally, I like the fact that the door handles do not stick out. I used to have the top-freezer refrigerators that would have these oversized handles and I would always inevitably bump into them. Not so with this Amana product.

Note: There is no icemaker in this unit but, apparently, you can buy a plug-in type extension into it. i haven't looked into this yet, since I do have another fridge that has a built-in icemaker.

The paperwork for the Amana 19 cu ft unti claims that this is a high-efficiency, low electricity unit, with electricity costs estimated to be at about $50 for a year. At that price, it makes perfect sense to keep it as a second refrigerator unit if you are so inclined to have the first unit with all the extra features.

At the end of the day, this refrigerator can store a pizza box and about $300 worth of other groceries. It keeps appropriate temperature, it's roomy enough, and it's delivered right to your door.

It's been about a month and I have yet to experience any glitches with it. I've been nothing but pleasantly happy with it. If you decide to buy one, I hope you'll enjoy owning it as well.
VINE VOICEon April 8, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Let me start by saying that this refrigerator was delivered and installed by J.B. Hunt who did an excellent job delivering and installing this refrigerator. They also took away my old one. Which was a big help to me because my city would probably give me a hard time if I put it in front of my house on bulk trash day. They have all kinds of rules when it comes to appliances. J.B. Hunt called to schedule the delivery four days in advance, then they were supposed to call me with an estimated time block, and they forgot, but I called them and got the time block, and they were here earlier then they estimated, which was okay, because I was home waiting anyway.

The refrigerator is very sleek looking, and it runs very quiet. I have it installed in my basement, and use it as a second refrigerator. I have a big family and do a lot of cooking, especially on holidays. So I've always had two refrigerators, and this one replaced an older Kenmore 19.6 cu. ft. So this one is a little smaller then the one it replaced, but a couple of the shelves on my Kenmore were plastic, and were cracked, so it needed to be replaced. I liked this refrigerator because it didn't have an ice maker (which I didn't need), My kitchen refrigerator has an ice maker, that I use daily. This refrigerator has very sturdy shelves on the door, and the crisper drawers seem to be made out of cheaper plastic, and aren't as sturdy as the shelves on the door. The cold cut draw is pretty big. I was actually thinking about taking it out, because it took up so much space away from the shelf underneath it. The freezer seems to have a lot of space, but the shelves on the door don't have much room. I use them to store butter. The butter fits perfect on the shelves. The refrigerator itself is metal, and you can change the hinges on the door of both the refrigerator and freezer to whatever side you wish. It comes with the hinges on the right, but I had my son switch it for me, because it was easier to open from where the refrigerator is in my basement. There are no handles on the doors, just slots on the sides of the doors, which is why the refrigerator looks so sleek.

The temperature controls are right in front, so you can see what temperature you have it set at. There is a spot on the dial that says recommended, so you don't need to rack your brain trying to figure out what is the right temp to set it at. I really do like that feature, because I'm always worried if I have my refrigerators set either too high or too low. The refrigerator and freezer cooled down pretty quickly after it was installed. I did think it would take longer then it did. All in all I think this refrigerator would be perfect for a second refrigerator or it would be great for a small apartment or condo. It is very bright and clean looking and would definitely brighten up any kitchen. It is also energy efficient, so I'm glad I will see a difference in my electric bill. So far it runs perfect, so I hope it lasts a long time.
VINE VOICEon April 13, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It has been 2 weeks since I got this refrigerator and so far I have been satisfied with the performance and space. I also find that the air circulation is very good on this compared to old Kenmore and it keeps some of the vegetables like carrot fresh and turgid for a longer time.

First of all, this is a no-frills, functional refrigerator which provides a lot of well organized space.

Freezer

* 1 horizontal rack separates the freezer into 2 compartments

* Door has 2 shelves

Refrigerator:
* Racks
- 2 main racks with a maximum separation of 10.5" (thats the max height of any stuff you can keep between the racks)
- The racks can be re-adjusted by moving them into steps which each spaced by 3"
- The top rack has an attached transparent compartment

* Crisper drawers have a humidity adjuster and comes with transparent covers- which is a big plus compared to my old fridge since I can actually see what is inside without opening the drawer

* Door has 4 levels of storage
- Bottom most level of shelf runs through the width of the door and is only 4" wide - you cannot keep your gallon milk cans, but will fit 1/2 gallon cartons or orange juice contains
- The next level is 2 shelves side by side and about 7 3/4" and will easily fit 2 gallon milk containers. If the 2 shelves were combined into one long shelf, it could have fit more stuff, but by making them into 2 separate ones they have tried to make it height adjustable so that you can individually take one of them out and place them lower/higher
- The next 2 levels after that are an egg tray and butter tray - about 6" width and lots of space to throw in a lot of stuff. The top most layer has only 1 shelf, and the one below has 2 shelves side by side.

The refrigerator is very energy efficient and the energy guide says that it costs about $52 worth of electricity to run this for an entire year which is really good.

It comes with wheels which can make it move easily if you want to move it.

Ice Maker:
I called up the company for an ice maker and they referred me to another company (forgot the name), they quoted a price of $190 (inclusive of shipping) for an ice maker. But while going through amazon there are many aftermarket kits available at a fraction of the cost:
Whirlpool Ice Maker Icemaker W10190965

Right now, I am not going for an ice maker, but just keeping them on my wish list in case if I have to.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations