5.0 out of 5 stars Far exceeded my expectations
"The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" works on so many different levels. It has the thrills, action and pacing of a comic book, yet also has the beautiful language, fully developed, memorable characters, and moving, non-manipulative drama of the finest literary novel. It is rare to see excitement, sadness, history, and humor mix so seamlessly together...
Published on December 3, 2000 by The Gooch

3.0 out of 5 stars Not life-changing, but worth the read.
When I read this book, I didn't even know that it had won the Pulitzer Prize--there's no trace of that information anywhere on the library hardback that I read. So I was blissfully unaware that I was reading what was supposed to be a Literary Masterpiece, and I would have been surprised if I had known.
There's no doubt that Michael Chabon is a master of his craft;...
Published on July 7, 2002 by Ilana Teitelbaum

‹ Previous | 172 73 7494 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, December 2, 2014
This review is from: The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay (with bonus content): A Novel (Paperback)
best book ever

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, August 2, 2007
J. Avellanet "of ComplianceZen" (Williamsburg, VA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Chabon clearly demonstrates that he is one of America's finest novelists to date. There were times when I would set this book down, then be afraid to pick it back up, so all engaging were the characters, the setting and the story. Excellent. And what an ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best I've read in a while, March 28, 2002
Andrew Tauber (Chapel Hill, N.C.) - See all my reviews
In looking at some other reviews, I caught myself momentarily wondering if I read the same book as people who were declaring it so mediocre. Cavalier and Klay is incredible. It could have gone on even longer for me. It does skip around in some places, but I don't think it hurts the book any. The writing is clean, but heartfelt. It's the polar opposite of Dave Eggers heartless (albeit funny) prose.
I also recently read The Brothers K and I would have to say both books are forcing their way into my favorites.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 18, 2014
A great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars HOW DO YOU REVIEW A MASTERPIECE?, January 8, 2008
I found this book deeply satisfying. Some of Michael Chabon's writing is brilliant, but a little too into the clever metaphor or dazzling use of language. Okay, as an author, I'd kill for that verbal ability, but in some cases, it fails to touch my heart the way I want a great book to move me. This one satisfies on all levels: Brilliant technique, unbelievable imagination, a plot that nobody else could come up with. And lovely, moving characters. A great read, a great book. I recommend it highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Just for the Highbrow, May 30, 2001
"solkane" (East Lansing, MI United States) - See all my reviews
Disregard the comments of "A Reader" from Cambridge, Mass. This is a wonder of a book. Ignore its serious literary pedigree. It's an incredible amount of fun! Highly recommended for the most sophisticated reader or the most serious comic book fan, or for those who can embrace both of those titles. This is "The Origins of Marvel Comics" written by John Steinbeck, with advice from Scott McCloud, set in the Golden Age. Quit reading reviews & start reading the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars a fine book, June 10, 2001
roland jones (Camden, NJ!!!!!) - See all my reviews
I really like this book. So good to read something with AMBITION, with scope, rather than these niggling New York yuppie novels the bookstores seem to be full of nowadays. If you're looking for something similar to AMAZING ADVENTURES, check out Brady Udall's THE MIRACLE LIFE OF EDGAR MINT. This book will knock your socks off, I guarantee it. Thank heavens that there are writers like Chabon and Udall to keep the literary scene from imploding with small-mindedness and self-importance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Personal favorite of all time, August 25, 2007
I am grateful to the friend who recommended this; it is now my favorite book of all time. It combines subjects of interest to me particularly: Jewish immigrants on the Lower East Side, the Holocaust, family relations, romance,
and the history of comic books. It is very well written and quite clever. The characters are clearly delineated and are fascinating. Some people complained the words were too long or the book should have been shorter:
Why? It was great just the way it was.

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put it down., May 12, 2004
J. Boley "JB" (Lafayette, IN United States) - See all my reviews
This book is a gem. One of the best I have ever read. Here's some example of what I mean by one of the best:
1. I was emotionally involved in the characters. By the end of the book, I felt sympathy for them, cried with them, and was happy for them.
2. I couldn't put the book down. I am a slow reader, but flew through this book in record time. All of my spare time I wanted to spend reading this book.
3. It won the Pulitzer!
4. Chabon came up with an amazing way of weaving a tale that incorporates both fantasy and reality. This story may be about a seemingly lighthearted topic on the cover synopsis (comics), but in reality, it's a story about human relationships and life. I was deeply moved by the story.
5. The book had an underlying theme of escape. It's a profound statement for times such as those we live in. Escape is noble goal. This book helped me escape, but provoked some good thinking as well.
I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys good literature.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must For Fans of Comic Books and Graphic Novels, November 5, 2003
I kept thinking that Michael Chabon must have been looking over my shoulder. My partner and I are the creators of "4 Corners", and the process by which Chabon describes the birth of a comic character is so real that it's frightening. I read the book first, and yes, I had trouble putting it down; after loaning my copy to my partner, he couldn't put it down either. You know a story is good when you become so engrossed that you don't want to stop reading.

‹ Previous | 172 73 7494 | Next ›