4.0 out of 5 stars Fast, useful, youthful, beginner-intermediate designs
Published on March 6, 2007 by Atheen

3.0 out of 5 stars Is she wearing a tablecloth?
Published on January 5, 2007 by K. A. Kellersberger

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast, useful, youthful, beginner-intermediate designs, March 6, 2007
Atheen "Atheen" (Mpls, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazing Crochet Lace: New Fashions Inspired by Old-Fashioned Lace (Paperback)
First and foremost I have to admit that while I do crochet, it is not my first passion since I learned it after I learned to knit. Like most people who learn both, I tend to enjoy the technique I learned first; probably because I've had more experience doing it. That said, I have to say that I think a crocheted lace is probably only second to bobbin lace in its beauty, so I bought this book mostly to see how the lace looked enlarged.

Ms Chan's technique in this book is to "explode" lace patterns to create wearable apparel. Some of them are lovely, others less so. The most valuable thing about the method is that it yields more rapid results. For someone who, like me, has less than average patience and not a great amount of free time, this may count for a lot. For the beginner, the fact that the materials used are bulky and the stitches consequently large will make the process of learning and of producing a finished product simpler than a finer material will; fewer dropped stitches, less frustration.

While I liked many of the patterns in principle, some of them will only look well on a young girl or woman who has a slender, almost perfect figure. That in no way describes me, and probably not many others who crochet. If I were to produce the mini dress on page 56, the close fitting coat on page 53, the pineapple pattern skirt on page 66, or the straight skirt on page 82, it would definitely have to be for someone else, since all of these patterns showcase the figure. I don't want my figure showcased, thank you!

On the other hand, most of the shawls and several of the shrugs and bolero jackets would be suitable for most people. Although orange is not a color I wear well, I was particularly impressed by the beauty and softness of the "pumpkin pie" jacket on page 102 and will probably start with that design in a color more compatible with my complexion. I also liked the ruana on page 108. I suspect it will work up rather rapidly, especially in boucle or faux suede; it would be an excellent pattern to start with for the beginner. The pineapple pattern shawl on page 136 was very pleasing, partially for its nostalgia value; my mother once crocheted a pineapple pattern table cloth for a full sized dining room table in size 60 sewing thread. It was stunning. (She was offered $1000 for it in 1952 when $1000 probably had the buying power of nearly $10,000 now!) The fan jacket on page 114 is also lovely with its more tailored appearance. I agree with the author, it would look very stylish in black.

Altogether a useful book, especially for beginner-intermediate level crochet artists.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courage Crochet, January 19, 2007
This author is my kinda gal. She asks that you trust her to plunge into elaborate crochet designs with no gauge! But what happens is quite fun and a lesson in trust. Those who crochet must admit we are knitters who like to "fudge", but Chan takes the "fudge" factor I've always used and explains her stitching philosophy. The designs are the product I've been looking for for years: a puzzle like challenge that gives that wonderful period lace look. Feminine, but dramatic in all that it holds. Though most projects, I would say, are not for the novice, the detailed stitching chart graphics are very helpful. I've already done 3 of the patterns and they've all turned out wonderfully. Chan gives you courage to crochet in your own way. Want to change the look of a design? Use thicker yarn and a bigger needle. Experiment with other patterns in the same way. I love it. Best crochet book I've bought (and I buy lots) in years.

K. Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Is she wearing a tablecloth?, January 5, 2007
As an avid crocheter, I have been so thrilled to see crochet sweaters, skirts, etc. in department stores, catalogs, and on runways in recent seasons. Usually, I look at a beautiful and stylish garment, and think "I could make this," and at a fraction of the cost of buying the finished garment. For this reason, I have been on a quest in recent months for beautiful, stylish, accessible crochet patterns that reflect the actual trends in fashion that we are currently seeing.

When I first saw the cover and description for Doris Chan's book, "Amazing Crochet Lace...", I was ecstatic. Finally, someone had taked the time to translate elements from beautiful, old-fashioned lace, and integrated it into the garments I was seeing all around me! So I ordered her book, sight unseen, and eagerly awaited its arrival, all the while planning my fall/winter crochet binge.

When the book arrived, and I anxiously thumbed through the patterns, I was bitterly disappointed. These are not patterns inspired by doilies, they are actual doilies, blown-up to gargantuon proportions, draped over the shoulders and re-named a shawl. Or, in one case, doilies with large holes in the center that one is supposed to center on the waist and call a skirt. All in all, I believe I counted 2 patterns in this book that are not doily-wannabees, or at least ripped up doilies strategically re-sewn to intimate sleeves. Notably absent are the sweaters, halters, elegant skirts, jackets, and peasant shirts I had daydreamed about finding. In their place are shawls, a couple of skirts, shawls, a very odd-looking tank, and would you believe, more shawls!

Perhaps my expectations were too high. Perhaps I am very particular about my choice of patterns. Perhaps I am simply frustrated from years of trying to justify my favorite craft as more than just a technique for making (you guessed it) shawls (or ponchos or shrugs) or as a finishing technique for knitting. I am so hungry for patterns that actually reflect what is going on in fashion today, and unfortunately I do not have the fortitude to simply buy the garments I like, copy the patterns, and return them (and yes, I have done that).

Don't get me wrong; some of Ms. Chan's lace patterns are very beautiful and intricate. They just don't work as clothing. In fact, I am thinking of miniaturizing a couple to put on my coffee table as doilies.

Please, someone, somewhere, get us crocheters some decent patterns!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars This has great patterns, however...., November 24, 2006
I bought this book solely for the pattern for the Chrysanthemum Tea Shawl, although there are other patterns in the book that are also interesting.

Upon starting the first round, I immediately found an error in the stitch instructions. Now while I consider myself to be good pattern reader, the novice crocheter might be a little confused at first because the instructions for the tr2tog (aka 2-trc cluster) says you should have 4 loops left on hook, when in actuality, you only have 3 loops. The tr3tog (aka 3-trc cluster) DOES have 4 loops left. Publisher should have had someone proofread patterns more thoroughly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, inspired patterns, November 29, 2006
I waited ages to receive this book and was thrilled when it finally arrived. I'd been so bored with plain patterns and was dying for something that really shows of the beautiful lace affects crochet can achieve. I don't usually bother reading all the text before the patterns start, but this preface revealed such a nice person, someone really appreciative of the art. Then, as I turned the beautifully photographed pages, I couldn't believe the lovely creations revealed, each more exciting than the last. I kept thinking, how clever! Truly mouth-watering! It should be noted that even without other reviewers cautions regarding errors, this is not a beginner book. (Fortunately, most patterns seemed to provide charts.) Nonetheless, even a beginner would get something out of this purchase. It's worth it just for sheer inspiration and appreciation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Designs Despite Flagrant Errors in Patterns, November 26, 2006
The designs are great...really exciting and inspired. I am enjoying making things from this book. It should be noted, however, that there are errors in the patterns. Be alert and follow the diagrams more than the written patterns, and you should be fine. In addition to the first-row error mentioned by a previous reviewer, there is a flagrant error on row 10 of the cover pattern. Even so, I recommend this book. I like the author's introduction and I like the use of yarns and motifs. I look forward to experimenting with different yarns than those recommended, also. Lace is easier than it looks! What a brilliant idea, using big yarns and creating garments!

5.0 out of 5 stars cooool, June 26, 2007
This is one of those books - like Twinkle and like Loop d Loop Crochet - that is love it or hate it. I seriously doubt anyone conservative would like the majority of the designs in here. I must admit though that I'm surprised by the people who were disappointed, the book is exactly what I expected from the cover picture - which does in fact look like a blown up doily - and I'm surprised anyone expected any different. Also, there are so many sites where you can get a few pics of contents as a preview. ....

Taste differs - for anyone who's thinking about this book, I love what has been referrred to as the "oddlooking tank" and think it is incredibly hip.... probably the coolest thing in the book. Made it in a colinette ribbon and have been asked to sell it off my back. Which I won't.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed With A Pile Of Yarn, December 10, 2007
At first glance this book made me quite excited. I was eager to make several of the pieces. I have been crocheting for decades and have been able to troubleshoot many patterns that were poorly written to get through to the end. This pattern seemed easy at first, but it is so poorly written with corners cut in descriptions that it took ages to decipher. Once I figured out what the author was trying to say, I then realized the pattern was flawed or a major part of the pattern was missing. I had two other skilled crocheters check my work and the pattern to see if I had misinterpreted anything. They agreed that the math was wrong and the pattern very flawed. I'd like to think that it was bad luck that I chose the only pattern that was flawed in this book, but I'm too nervous to dedicate any more time to any of her patterns when she and her editor should have gotten them right before bothering to publish them. Patterns absolutely have to be reliable and clear, and this pattern was one of the easier ones. It was an absolute nightmare.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspired patterns-great results but beware..., February 19, 2007
In addition to the previously stated errors, I found an error in the Rocky Road Shrug. Row 8 of the body is missing a ch 3. I am an experienced crocheter but I found my self having to check off each step at the beginning of the pattern. This is something that I rarely needed to do. Once I got going, the pattern was easy to read. A real newbie may find the patterns frustrating and the errors may only add to their frustration. The charted pattern swatch is definitely helpful and reminisceint of the Harmony guides. I'm looking to try out the Pumpkin Pie jacket but the base sc chain worked in boucle is going to be the biggest challenge.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing crochet lace, really amazin, March 9, 2007
I recommend this book to everyone, the patterns are so beautiful and well illustrated, fast and easy, it is wearable to all sizes and ages. I really enjoyed this book more than any book i ever had, till now i crocheted 3 of the patterns they looked wonderful on me and everyone who saw me was amazed how professional i became :)

Amazing Crochet Lace: New Fashions Inspired by Old-Fashioned Lace
Amazing Crochet Lace: New Fashions Inspired by Old-Fashioned Lace by Doris Chan (Paperback - November 21, 2006)
Used & New from: $24.19