Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc A. Sinclair Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on January 5, 2007
As an avid crocheter, I have been so thrilled to see crochet sweaters, skirts, etc. in department stores, catalogs, and on runways in recent seasons. Usually, I look at a beautiful and stylish garment, and think "I could make this," and at a fraction of the cost of buying the finished garment. For this reason, I have been on a quest in recent months for beautiful, stylish, accessible crochet patterns that reflect the actual trends in fashion that we are currently seeing.

When I first saw the cover and description for Doris Chan's book, "Amazing Crochet Lace...", I was ecstatic. Finally, someone had taked the time to translate elements from beautiful, old-fashioned lace, and integrated it into the garments I was seeing all around me! So I ordered her book, sight unseen, and eagerly awaited its arrival, all the while planning my fall/winter crochet binge.

When the book arrived, and I anxiously thumbed through the patterns, I was bitterly disappointed. These are not patterns inspired by doilies, they are actual doilies, blown-up to gargantuon proportions, draped over the shoulders and re-named a shawl. Or, in one case, doilies with large holes in the center that one is supposed to center on the waist and call a skirt. All in all, I believe I counted 2 patterns in this book that are not doily-wannabees, or at least ripped up doilies strategically re-sewn to intimate sleeves. Notably absent are the sweaters, halters, elegant skirts, jackets, and peasant shirts I had daydreamed about finding. In their place are shawls, a couple of skirts, shawls, a very odd-looking tank, and would you believe, more shawls!

Perhaps my expectations were too high. Perhaps I am very particular about my choice of patterns. Perhaps I am simply frustrated from years of trying to justify my favorite craft as more than just a technique for making (you guessed it) shawls (or ponchos or shrugs) or as a finishing technique for knitting. I am so hungry for patterns that actually reflect what is going on in fashion today, and unfortunately I do not have the fortitude to simply buy the garments I like, copy the patterns, and return them (and yes, I have done that).

Don't get me wrong; some of Ms. Chan's lace patterns are very beautiful and intricate. They just don't work as clothing. In fact, I am thinking of miniaturizing a couple to put on my coffee table as doilies.

Please, someone, somewhere, get us crocheters some decent patterns!!!
88 comments|98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2015
THere are some very pretty things, but like other reviewers have said, its just a bunch of doily patterns blown up. Some of the projects look like the model is wearing their grandmothers table cloth. On the other hand, there are a couple of very nice patterns. Over all, not what I expected, but not totally disappointed. Ms. Chan's book "Everyday Crochet" is much better, and the projects are much more "wearable". What blows me away is to see sellers trying to hose $2,500 out of someone for this book. I'd sell my copy for a fraction of the cost. $2,500 is taking advantage of people.
on May 18, 2008
I like the creative lace crochet in this book, especially the "tablecloth' shawls. But the font used in this book is terrible. For example, I am working on the Blue Curacao Shawl and the 3's and the 5's are hardly distinguishable. I have had to make a copy of the pattern and write over all the numbers to make sure my counts are correct.
on August 3, 2009
I can't remember which project inspired me to buy this book. I have only made one of the shrugs and it came out ok. It went together suprisingly fast, although at times I felt really lost and I know there are a lot of flaws in my finished product but it is hard to tell. I have no desire to make a lot of the projects because they are just not my style. I do want to make the navy skirt.
HOWEVER-- there is one great thing in this book that will make me forever grateful to it. In the beginning there is an explaination of foundation single crochet. I had never heard of it before. It will change your life if you crochet! There are a lot of great tutorials online that can teach you the same thing, but if you like having a hardcopy reference, and any of the projects in this book appeal to you, then it is well worth your money.
I also appreciate that I learned how to add ribbing, I always thought this could only be done with knitting.
on October 5, 2011
I made the shawl on the cover and I am considering making another one. But, I am having trouble with the other patterns. She uses a chain/single crochet foundation for the other patterns which do not begin with a ring.
The pineapple shawl uses worsted weight yarn, but I'd like it in a lighter weight yarn, and I'm afraid I'd run out of pattern before it is big enough.
I'm consdering pulling out my old doily patterns to make another shawl like the one on the cover.
So, I'm only giving the book 3 stars, as I"ll have a greater variety in a doily book.
on June 6, 2013
It did not have the pattern that I wanted in it. I saw the picture on the advertisement and thought that pattern would be in the book,

sadly it was not. Doreen Roscher
on May 18, 2009
Disclaimer: I haven't actually purchased this book.

That said, I visit my local bookstores several times a month and this book is often stocked. And ever since this book has appeared on the shelves, I have contemplated purchasing it. I can't count the number of times I've picked it up...and, sadly, put it right back down. I really have tried to love it, but I just can't. I, too, feel that most of these garments resemble nothing so much as gigantic doilies. I've seen many of Doris Chan's designs, and read several of her articles. She often employs a method called "exploded crochet". The theory seems to be that if an intricate design looks good on a small scale, then it will, with minor modifications, translate to a fabulous design on a large scale. However, the success of these "exploded" patterns is debatable. Bottom line: although Ms. Chan's designs are unusual and creative, this particular collection is not to my taste.