5.0 out of 5 stars Essential listening.
In his book CARELESS LOVE, Peter Guralnick rates this album as a must-have for any fans of Elvis and of American music. He's dead-on correct. This album is unbelievable, and shows a completely overlooked side of Elvis.
Published on September 22, 2000 by Michael A. Beyer

2.0 out of 5 stars My Bad
Unfortunately, the type of product was not as prominent in the layout of the product as I felt it should have been. - I thought I was buying CD's and they arrived as Cassette Tapes. The seller offered to take them back but I did not feel that was right sine it was not thir fault.
Published 5 months ago by John Dunn

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential listening., September 22, 2000
Michael A. Beyer (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazing Grace: His Greatest Sacred Performances (Audio CD)
These days, Elvis Presley is almost criminally overlooked as an artist -- drowned in a sea of fat jump-suit bad-movie jokes. But what other artist can sing rock n'roll, country, R&B, schlock like "My Way" and gospel music so effortlessly and convincingly? Answer: No one.
"Amazing Grace" suffers from double-album disease, i.e. weaker songs interspersed with heart-stopping tunes. But repeated listens to songs like I,John, Bosom of Abraham, Lead Me, Guide Me, and the soaring How Great Thou Art are without question worth the cost of this 2-CD set. Gospel was the music that moved Elvis most, and you can just feel it in his voice -- the conviction, the faith, the anguish. No music lover should be without this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elvis' real love, December 30, 1999
Jon E Johnson (Boston, Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazing Grace: His Greatest Sacred Performances (Audio CD)
I have a large number of Elvis CDs at home but "Amazing Grace" has been getting the most play at home and in the car for about the last six months. Elvis' love of gospel music is legendary and, by all accounts, his knowledge of both white and black gospel acts was staggering. I interviewed Elvis biographer Peter Guralnick in late '98 when "Careless Love" was published and, when asked what he thought Elvis might have been doing had he lived, said that he thought that Elvis would have concentrated on gospel music later in his career, since it was what he really loved singing and was happiest doing. RCA has collected probably 98% of Elvis' gospel recordings on this 2-CD collection, along with a number of previously-unreleased tracks (mostly rehearsals and impromptu recordings). The collection includes excellent liner notes that also lists the original sources for the songs (mostly gospel records that Elvis grew up with by the Statesmen, the Blackwood Brothers, the Golden Gate Quartet, and others). The mastering is excellent, fully revealing the tremendous vocal work of not only Elvis but also of the Jordanaires, the Imperials, the Stamps, and the other vocal groups that backed Elvis on these numbers. I'd like to think that 100 years from now the jokes about Elvis' personal life, his weight problem in his later years, etc. will be largely forgotten and that, instead, he'll be remembered for his terrific music. Though his Sun recordings were probably more revolutionary, his gospel recordings were at least as exciting and probably say a lot more about the man in the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Elvis, November 26, 1999
Mike Kurosky (Ft. Worth, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazing Grace: His Greatest Sacred Performances (Audio CD)
This compilation is a must for any fan of gospel music. Elvis was the first contemporary Gospel singer. Sample a few of the music clips and you will the understand why this *Rock Star* was awarded three Grammy Awards for his Gospel music.
The negative to this set is the compilation is not complete. For some reason RCA chose to leave off the song Who Am I that was recorded at American Sound Studios in 1968 and the song I Got A Feelin In My Body recorded at Stax Studios in 1973.
So unfortunately as with many of RCA's box sets you will have to purchase a few more albums to have all the gospel songs.
The positive is they chose to add some rehearsals that were previously unavailable and you can actually feel what Elvis got out of this music and understand why he continued to love gospel music to the day he died.

5.0 out of 5 stars All his essential gospel music, January 26, 2003
This review is from: Amazing Grace: His Greatest Sacred Performances (Audio CD)
This collection is made up of all the tracks from the Peace in the valley EP and three LP's (His hand in mine, How great thou art and He touched me) plus various other tracks that didn't appear on any of those, together with some live cuts. If this sounds like a bit of a mixed bag, it isn't. For whatever reason, Elvis seemed to enjoy recording gospel music, so these recordings are as good as anything else he recorded.
Crying in the chapel was a massive hit for Elvis in Britain (where it was a number one) and America, but there are many other famous songs here. These include Amazing grace, You'll never walk alone, Swing low sweet chariot, I believe, How great thou art, Farther along and Peace in the valley. Even people who are not interested in gospel music are familiar with most, if not all, of these songs. Of the other songs here, A thing called love was a big hit for Johnny Cash but I'm not clear why Elvis included it on He touched me -its not really a gospel song, but Elvis sings it superbly. He is my everything is an adaptation of There goes my everything.
Elvis clearly took his religion seriously. It shows in these wonderful recordings, which no Elvis fan should ignore.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's spiritual, all right ..., April 20, 2000
This review is from: Amazing Grace: His Greatest Sacred Performances (Audio CD)
Well, well ... imagine ME wanting to listen to GOSPEL music.They say the Lord DOES work in mysterious ways ... I got thisset...and it's pretty cool.
I really love the first few tracks on disc 1: I Believe, Peace In The Valley, Take My Hand Precious Lord, It Is No Secret --- those are the only ones I'd heard before, but if I'm gonna buy some Elvis gospel, then dangit I want the best collection there is, and this seems to be it.
Some of the rest are really "deep South" sounding, but they are all very uplifting spiritually and I am very happy with this set. I just have to "get used" to so many songs that I am unfamiliar with. But, Hey! It's ELVIS!
Elvis has about a gazillion CD's, right? Well, get this set, and also the 2-CD "50 Worldwide Gold Hits" ...and you will have all the ELVIS you will ever need.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING PERFORMANCE - AMAZING SACRED ELVIS PRESLEY, October 10, 2005
This review is from: Amazing Grace: His Greatest Sacred Performances (Audio CD)
Few people realize the depth of Elvis's convictions when he sang gospel or spiritual songs...these songs were what grounded him...they were the original bed-rock of his popular songs. Elvis lived his early creative life in Memphis among people who listened to such groups as "The Blind Boys of Alabama", the Delmore Brothers (with their soft blusy sound), and the Louvin Brothers (with their hard-edged Pentecostal style)--all were groups and sounds in which Elvis clearly identified. Elvis liked to perform with gospel groups whenever possible. It is said that Elvis attended a concert for the Blackwood Brothers in Memphis, a group well known nationally. Two weeks later two members of the Blackwood Brothers (R.W. Blackwood and Bill Lyles) were killed in a plane crash. Elvis had always been a fan of the Blackwood Brothers and friends say this incident affected him very much. Two days later Elvis appeared at Sun Records to tape his first recordings. There was something urgent and raw in Elvis's recordings almost a reverberation back to the tent revival days that he heard in his youth. Elvis had also discovered black gospel which became a sound he absorbed into his popular music. This CD is a tremendous double CD treat for any Elvis fan or fan of gospel music for that matter. The Jordonaires backed Elvis for years, and they are heard here, as fresh and new sounding as the first time I heard them. While these recordings were pulled from at least four other CDs (Peace in the Valley; His Hand In Mine; He Touched Me; How Great Thou Art) there are many songs re-mastered here which didn't get recorded before. In addition, there are the recordings of some of his live performances, as Elvis always liked to end his shows with a good gospel song. My personal favorites include: How Great Thou Art, Only Believe, I've Got Confidence, Somebody Bigger Than You and I - although everythime I listen to this CD I find something new, something better. The Double CD contains over 50 songs and the listener will have a difficult time finding favorites. Elvis was at his best singing sacred/gospel songs. This CD comes with a very informative booklet with rare photos and contents of the CD. This is Elvis as he is meant to be heard. These are songs from groups he truly respected and songs he could sing with honesty. I give this CD a HUGE FIVE STARS. None of the Elvis CDs can touch the beauty of these performances. BEG,BORROW, OR BUY THIS CD !

5.0 out of 5 stars Elvis Presley Amazing Grace, January 11, 2000
This review is from: Amazing Grace: His Greatest Sacred Performances (Audio CD)
When I was younger I used to skip over the gospel songs on Elvis's albums.Now I have seen the light.This was the music that was Elvis's true love.You can hear it in his voice.This music will touch your soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Ready..., March 4, 2003
This review is from: Amazing Grace: His Greatest Sacred Performances (Audio CD)
Regardless of your preferred musical genre you will find it (and every other one worth knowing) in this collection. Here, you WILL find it all.
You will find gospel (old church and young church alike), soul, country, rock .... and a booming bonus: Something so very special that you and I cannot name it.
I ordered this collection to hear just a couple of my favorites: "Amazing Grace" and "How Great Thou Art." However, this CD changed everything.
If you're not knocked to your knees hearing "If That Isn't Love;" if you're not shouting through the rooftop at hearing the live version of "How Great Thou Art;" or, if you don't find yourself giving your best Elvis impersonation hearing "Only Believe" or "Seeing Is Believing," says only that your speakers went out with last week's trash or, sadly, that you're already gone!
This Pink Floyd-Willie Nelson-Van Morrison-Bellamy Brothers-Elvis-Rolling Stones-Bob Seger- Johnny Rivers- George Jones- Aretha Franklin-Matchbox Twenty-Platters-Jimmy Buffett- Tchaikovsky-Merle Haggard-Elton John-Otis Redding-Wilson Pickett-Strauss-Dwight Yoakam-The Who- loving fan says:
You'll find it all, and CRANK IT UP!

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just a collection, February 13, 2006
This review is from: Amazing Grace: His Greatest Sacred Performances (Audio CD)
I bought this CD in the late 80's when it was released, and it is still one of my favorites. I am still absolutely amazed that Elvis could have sung such powerfully beautiful Christian songs and ended his life the way he did. This collection was my first exposure to Christian music and I must say that nothing has ever come even close. Although the songs themselves are spiritually loaded, Elvis delivers them in a divine manner. Even one of the Jordanaires commented that Elvis was the greatest gospel singer of all time.

Listening to these songs, preferrably alone, will put you into a deep transcendental state. I don't know that a non Christian would experience the great depths of the truths that Elvis sings... but it may lead to a conversion. I know that it helped me to develop a closer more intimate relationship with Jesus Christ.

His songs are like private journeys of faith expressed in the most sublime music. Songs like "He Knows Just What I Need", "In the Garden," "Without Him," "He Touched Me," "Reach out to Jesus," "Lead Me, Guide Me", "Turn your eyes upon Jesus" will leave you uplifted and inspired. Regardless of how Elvis lived his life, God used him for this special purpose. For all of Elvis'accomplishments, this has to be his greatest.

5.0 out of 5 stars How sweet the sound, April 6, 2000
John Wilson (MS, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazing Grace: His Greatest Sacred Performances (Audio CD)
This is truly one of, if not, the best Elvis albums ever. This truly captures Elvis' soul in every song. It also displays his talent to arrange and create these gospel songs in a way that stirs and shakes the soul. I am 22 years old and I am an Elvis fan, never paying much attention to his gospel music. I am still not a gospel fan, but I am an Elvis gospel fan. No one can sing it like the king. It is an amazing and spriritual event listening to this album. I highly recommend it.