5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, moving -- a great gift for dog lovers
Published on April 18, 2002 by David Rain

2.0 out of 5 stars It's All about Dan
Published on June 28, 2012 by S. E. Sutton

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, moving -- a great gift for dog lovers, April 18, 2002
I laughed, I cried (sobbed, really), I fell in love. This is a sweet, sweet book and more -- a love story and the chronicle of a man coming into his own. It ranks right up there with J.R. Ackerley's "My Dog Tulip" in the annals of classic dog literature. I plan to buy a copy for every dog lover I know. I hope this book will encourage people to take a chance and rescue an animal that may not meet the standards of the AKC. Millions of dogs and cats are put to death each year in the U.S. because no one wants them, and this story is proof of the great potential for love and joy these dogs have.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Book for Dog Lovers Everywhere!, October 24, 2000
By A Customer
I just finished this wonderful book and plan on buying more copies for Christmas as gifts. This is the story of Gracie, an albino, deaf great dane puppy who inspires Dan, her owner, to start the chain of bakeries: Three Dog Bakery. It was a funny book, although the last pages will definately get to you if you've ever been through an older dogs final days.
I truly laughed out loud through much of the book... Gracie's love life reminded me of my own! Her life, although she was deaf, was full of love and devotion, but she definately had a mischeivous streak which all dog owners will relate to. This was simply a wonderful read that provided much more story than I was even hoping for. Amazing Gracie proves that dogs can inspire and teach us as well as make excellent companions!

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, Touching Story of an Unlikely Canine Savior, November 3, 2003
"Amazing Gracie" is author Dan Dye's loving tribute to his canine companion of 10 years, Gracie, a big lovable deaf albino Great Dane, who was the inspiration for his and Mark Beckloff's successful "Three Dog Bakery" business. Gracie's life was fraught with near-fatal mishaps from the start -by the age of 8 weeks she had narrowly escaped death's jaws a few times- and she always had a delicate constitution. When her finicky eating habits threatened her health, Dan was left with no choice but to cook for her. And so the beginning of Three Dog Bakery was created by a guy who couldn't cook to save his life, but undertook the task with unwavering determination to save his dog's. Gracie and Mark's two dogs, Sarah and Dottie, became the Bakery's mascots and tireless taste-testers as the business grew from Dan and Mark's kitchen to 32 stores and a hopping mail order business. "Amazing Gracie" is the story of this family: Dan, Mark, Gracie, Sarah, and Dottie, their business, and of an unlikely canine hero who went from throwaway pup to national celebrity by means of love and loyalty. Dan Dye is an entertaining storyteller who often takes a humorous tone when speaking of his and the dogs' misadventures -probably advisable when your roommate and business "partner" is a humongous slobbering deaf dog. "Amazing Gracie" is a funny, moving true tale and a reminder of how animals can touch and even radically change the lives of the humans who care for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars IF YOU LOVE DOGS, YOU MUST READ THIS BOOK!, November 28, 2000
"tiffnash1966" (Oklahoma City, OK) - See all my reviews
This is a wonderful book about an amazing dog named Gracie. In my opinion it is a must read for anyone. It is a book that will make you laugh and cry. Gracie's story will show you how animals can touch our lives and how blessed we are to have them in our midst. You will not be able to put this book down! Another thing, the royalties from this book go to The Gracie Foundation which is a non-profit emergency relief fund for neglected and abused animals. By reading this book, you will not only see how Gracie changed a man's life but you will help to carry on her memory by helping animals in need. Please take my advice and buy a copy right away- I don't think you will be sorry.

4.0 out of 5 stars WHO'S THE TEACHER?, January 3, 2001
Dorothy Weiss (ORLANDO, FLORIDA United States) - See all my reviews
Gracie is wasting away. The vet says there is nothing wrong with this partially blind albino Great Dane who is also deaf. In finding a way to help Gracie survive, her owner discovers that he is also learning how to "save" himself. This is another tale of the bond of love between animals and humans. Our pets "speak" to us, and when we listen, and take action, remarkable things can happen in our lives. Gracie won't eat, so her owner not only changes the type of food he offers this dog, but prepares the food himself after researching whole grains, select fruits, vegetables, and reading health books in libraries, and multiple visits to health food stores. Read this delightful story, and if you like it, then go on to "Angel Animals, Exploring Our Spiritual Connection with Animals' by Allen and Linda Anderson. More beautiful stories. So who is the teacher? Amazing Gracie, and all those other animals. Look around you, and listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Story of how one dog can change the world, December 19, 2000
Sheltie Mom (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
'Amazing Gracie' is the heartwarming story of how one neglected, deaf Great Dane named Gracie changed the lives of everyone who loved her. It is a book for everyone who loves dogs, as well as for anyone who has known 'a nutty dog person.' It is also the story of how Gracie inspired those who loved her to change and grow, and eventually to start Three Dog Bakery. I have recently adopted a deaf sheltie, and personally found many of the deaf dog anecdotes in the book funny and true to form. However, what I REALLY love about the book is that we learn that Gracie wasn't just a special deaf dog, but a wonderful dog, PERIOD. The book tells us very subtly that deaf dogs are just dogs that can't hear... otherwise they lead perfectly normal doggie lives. Hopefully, more people will see how wonderfully sweet our deaf dogs are, and won't think to put them to sleep just because they can't hear. They are great dogs, it's a shame more people don't/can't experience that love. Dan Dye's love for his pups, and his sharing that love with all of us, have made us all better humans, and dogs. Gracie's legacy lives on in all of us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Gracie Will Touch Your Heart, November 3, 2000
My husband brought home a copy of Amazing Gracie and looking at the cover said, "Just look at those eyes"! We were immediately smitten with Gracie, a deaf, albino, great dane puppy that was truly a miracle!
Amazing Gracie is a heart-warming, inspiring, unique and comical story that you don't want to end! Author Dan Dye eloquently shares the colorful stories of Gracie's life which touched the hearts of many and became a tremendous inspiration. Every page of this book is warm and fuzzy!
Amazing Gracie earns five stars ***** and is worth the highest recommendation! What a perfect book to give as a gift for the holidays! You will absolutely fall in love with Amazing Gracie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Story, October 19, 2005
Emily V. Starr (Salt Lake City, Utah United States) - See all my reviews
This book is beautifully written. I could not put it down. This story has made me think of my life and what happiness my animals have brought me. Gracie was truly an inspiring dog and will be missed forever. Many thanks to Dan for sharing his story with the world. Buy this book - you will not be dissappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dog lover's delight!, December 14, 2000
Amazing Gracie is a wonderful story about a deaf, partially blind, albino Great Dane. Her story is told with humor by Dan Dye and Mark Beckloff, and whimsically illustrated by Meg Cundiff. This book, written sensitively, but without melodrama, will make you laugh, rejoice, cheer and cry. It is also the story of the beginnings of the wonderful bakery for dogs, Three Dog Bakery. Humorous parts include Gracie's first day in her new home, Dan's dress shoes, and what the dogs were possibly thinking at stategic moments in the story. Since this is a book about Gracie's entire life, it naturally includes the end of her shining light. Be prepared to cry. This is a book that will last in my mind for a long time!

2.0 out of 5 stars It's All about Dan, June 28, 2012
I found the beginning and ending of this book interesting enough. It is then that authors Dan Dye and Mark Beckloff (actually Dan) describe respectively the early and final years of Gracie's life. Dan writes in an engaging, sometimes hilarious style, so these parts of the book were an enjoyable read. However in between Gracie's adoption and her death, the book is all about Dan--his bakery, his TV shows, his housekeeping habits, etc. Most distressing was what I perceived to be Dan's extremely anthropocentric view of his "pet" great Dane. In comparison to a Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron (told in the voice of the dog) or John Grogan's Marley and Me, or Laura Hillenbrand's Seabiscuit, all books that foreground an animal rather than an owner, Amazing Gracie was disappointing--even annoying. However I will give Dan credit for one thing: admitting that Gracie helped him more than he helped her! I ended up not liking Dan and wishing I had gotten to know Gracie.

Amazing Gracie: A Dog's Tale
Amazing Gracie: A Dog's Tale by Dan Dye (Paperback - March 4, 2003)
$10.95 $9.27