5.0 out of 5 stars My Daughter and I LOve this craft/book!
My 7 y.o. daughter and i have been working in the animals in this book, we just finished the cat this morning. (we have been doing them in order, which is a good thing, as they get harder as you go along. We want to make the chest-thumping gorilla for Da :-)

Published on February 19, 2011 by T. Lory

3.0 out of 5 stars So Far, A Frustrating Experience
I really wanted to love this. I purchased the Flying Pig kit by itself and that one had easy-to-follow directions. I assembled it with just a glue stick.

Published on April 7, 2011 by Gloria

5.0 out of 5 stars My Daughter and I LOve this craft/book!, February 19, 2011
This review is from: Amazing Paper Pets: 6 Animated Animals to Make (Paperback)

We love paper crafts, and of course animals. These are so fun, so clever and well engineered. Make sure you are very exact in your gluing and it will come out pretty well. I switched over at some point to using a glue gun, which dries very fast. It leaves a bit of messy glue globs, but i sacrificed neatnedd for speed, since it was kind of difficult to get the pieces to stay in place when using white glue or glue stick.

We loved these so much that i am back looking for other moving paper crafts like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun to make, September 21, 2010
C. M. Nelson "Christine" (Western Washington, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazing Paper Pets: 6 Animated Animals to Make (Paperback)
Like all Rob's paper automata the six paper pets in this book are fun to make and play with. They are well-engineered and easy to make, fitting together well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever designs, incomplete instructions, September 21, 2011
always skeptical (Pacific Northwest) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazing Paper Pets: 6 Animated Animals to Make (Paperback)
Loved the clever designs. But these things are way too difficult for a kid to build. I wanted to build these with my eight-year-old, but all she could really help with was punching out the paper parts from the book.

The instructions were ambiguous in many cases and just plain wrong at least once. It's fairly easy to build parts inverted or inside-out if you're not successful at guessing the correct orientation.

I had to invent clamps and cauls along the way -- you may find it useful to have a few clothes pins around for clamping pieces together while glue is drying.

In the end, it's a very satisfying collection of small projects.

3.0 out of 5 stars So Far, A Frustrating Experience, April 7, 2011
Gloria (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazing Paper Pets: 6 Animated Animals to Make (Paperback)

With this book, however, I've had problems with assembly. The photos that accompany the instructions are not that large so I've had to guess where things go at times. The platform for the cat, in particular, I just had to guess how to do it because the photo was so tiny.

Many areas are under tension. I've had to glue, clamp down and re-glue many areas with paper clips, so a project can take days. Right now, I'm baffled at how to glue the belt on the cat because it keeps coming unglued and I have yet to figure out how to clamp it. This is a test of patience for me and my preschooler, who is hanging on my arm while I glue these together.

Other complaints: when making the dog, the feet don't reach down far enough and the head is attached by a tiny tab. When making the chickens, their heads and tails don't stick around the inner box; I had to reglue them several times each.

So far, a frustrating experience.

3.0 out of 5 stars Seemingly easy but poor directions, July 28, 2012
This review is from: Amazing Paper Pets: 6 Animated Animals to Make (Paperback)
Of the three books with paper models I purchased, I expected these to be the easiest because the pieces punch out instead of needing to be cut out. However, the directions on these were sometimes confusing and we often completed them in a different sequence in order to put the pieces together so the models would work. It was often difficult to get the pieces to hold together with glue from glue sticks, so we did resort to some double stick tape at times. These models had more dramatic motions than those from the other two books I purchased, and, with adult help, would work for kids ages 10 and up who have good focus and are detail oriented. A fun project, but lots of time is needed - this could be an all-day or multiple day project, easily. If you are good at building things, I would recommend these, as long as you read ahead and anticipate when you would be better off doing the steps in a different order.

5.0 out of 5 stars very fun project, January 26, 2012
This review is from: Amazing Paper Pets: 6 Animated Animals to Make (Paperback)
these models are really fun to make and the movement is very cute.the first thing i would tell you to do is scan the pages of the model before you build them that way if you make a mistake you can redo the model.i would also recommend doing the models in order as they get a little harder as you go along.as some reviews have said the directions can be a bit laking but if you look at the pieces and just match the numbers and read the directions you can see how the pieces fit together and how they need to be glued.for me the hardest models were the cat and the gorialla the cat has a lot of small joints that have to be glued accurently for the model to work properly and the alighnment of the pieces has to be perfect for the gorilla to work.alot of the reviews seem to complain about glueing the belts for the cat and kangaroo which can be diffucult but if you pull them around and then use like a chopstick or even an ink pen to hold the belt in pace while the glue dries then it works.also if you go to the authers website(robives.com)and go to the section that says publications it gives you a link to the amazon site but by doing this the author gets a small percentage of the sale but the price you pay is exactly the same and while your there you can look at all the other projects on the site and there are alot.also if you like doing theses paper models do a google search on free paper automata and you can find sites that have projects you can download for free(cannon has a great site with free models).
also the price of the product is great for the price of what you would pay for the two of these individualy at other places you get 6 of them in this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, December 7, 2011
This review is from: Amazing Paper Pets: 6 Animated Animals to Make (Paperback)
Bought this for my daughter (11) and we ended up making a couple together. Making the pets is challenging enough to be fun, but not so difficult that frustration sets in.

5.0 out of 5 stars for middle school??? Not again, April 24, 2014
This review is from: Amazing Paper Pets: 6 Animated Animals to Make (Paperback)
kids liked it even though it was hard to follow directions...Middle schoolers..da...I liked it because it kept them wanting to finish a project. "So sorry, you can't do it again...no redos!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Lot's fun, October 14, 2013
This review is from: Amazing Paper Pets: 6 Animated Animals to Make (Paperback)
Good for learning to understand different cranks, while having fun and making toys. Kids are loving this compex fun of making toys and learning at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Paper Pets on a roll, June 16, 2013
Janis Honda (honolulu, Hawaii, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazing Paper Pets: 6 Animated Animals to Make (Paperback)
The books is beautifully illustrated and the directions are ever so clear. This is my first at making these animated paper crafts. I actually don't want to cut out the animated animals to make just yet. I still want to admire the creative and ingenious mind that designed these animals! The book was delivered far earlier than I expected! Thank-you for your amazing work.

Amazing Paper Pets: 6 Animated Animals to Make
Amazing Paper Pets: 6 Animated Animals to Make by Rob Ives (Paperback - July 6, 2010)
Used & New from: $4.99