5.0 out of 5 stars A supportive nudge and kick in the ass
What this easy-to-read, smile-as-you-go journal of stories and advice does is to reassure you: it's okay to dream of the amazing things you want to do... as long as you follow though. C.C. is supportive and motivating, but he's also providing a path for all of us. Simply: forward, through the rough patch, and be sure to pick up those who need help along the way...
Published on November 28, 2012 by Dan Gorgone

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Amazing.
If you've never read an inspirational or self-help book...
If you've never seen a motivational speaker or Tony Robbins infomercial...
If you've never heard a graduation speaker...
...Then maybe, MAYBE you'll find something fresh in this book.

Published 23 months ago by Lois Lain

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Amazing., January 25, 2013
Lois Lain (San Francisco Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Amazing Things Will Happen: A Real-World Guide on Achieving Success and Happiness (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you've never read an inspirational or self-help book...
If you've never seen a motivational speaker or Tony Robbins infomercial...
If you've never heard a graduation speaker...
...Then maybe, MAYBE you'll find something fresh in this book.

I truly liked CC Chapman's first book, Content Rules, so I had high hopes for this one. I'm a sucker for "life improvement/achieve your dreams" books, too. But there was nothing interesting or unique in this short tome. And it is certainly not worth its $22.95 (!!) price tag.

You'll be treated to deep thoughts such as: "Nothing bad ever comes of being careful before moving forward." And, "LIfe and happiness are about a lot more than only money." And my favorite: "When setting goals, it often helps to break them down into smaller steps."

REALLY??!!!

I am amazed that this one made it past the editorial committee. Geez, my 12-year-old could have written this stuff. All in all, it comes off as a series of notes cribbed from Napoleon Hill, the aforementioned Robbins, and Stuart Smalley's Deep Thoughts from Saturday Night Live. "...Doggone it, people LIKE you!"

Put your wallet away, skip this one, and instead get a copy of Oprah's magazine from the newsstand. You'll save yourself about $15 and a lot of time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too much fluff, April 5, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I want to preface this by saying that generally I really love self-help and self-improvement books. I've reviewed quite a few of them here on Amazon and feel like I've learned a lot and generally grown as a person. But this book just wasn't for me.

The premise of the book is less of a step-by-step how-to so much as a collection of thoughts about how to live your best life, with the bulk of the information focusing on professional and career development. I was fine with this premise. A true how-to seems a bit unrealistic to me because life (and especially one's career) doesn't always unfold in a consistent and linear fashion. But my issue was that the actual book seemed like it didn't fully realize it's premise, at least not for me.

My first issue was with the introduction. The author spends 24 pages of a 180 page book giving an overview of his life story. To me it frankly was boring and felt self-indulgent. It wasn't really punctuated with life lessons or insights that made it worth reading. Not to mention there really wasn't anything about it that suck out as special or interesting or that nodded to any adversity he had to overcome. He also doesn't really nod back to it in the rest of the book so I'm not sure why it was included.

My issue with the rest of the book that followed was that it read like fluff. Most of the lessons he includes are things that have been trotted out time and time again in business and self-help books. To me if you're going to do this you writing either needs to be more eloquent than anything that has come before it on the topic or you need to expand the conversation or provide a new take. For me, the author did neither. For the sections that were a bit more novel were just too high level to be helpful. Each thought had no more than ten pages dedicated to it (in a large type) so he really only skimmed the surface.

Overall, this book to me was not worth the time I spent reading it. Even though its short page length and large font make for a quick read there really wasn't enough new information here to make it of value.

3.0 out of 5 stars Like talking to a successful uncle, March 19, 2013
Denise Patterson (Carmel, IN United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Reading this book is like having a series of conversations with that uncle you have who's made a success of himself in business. He's got a lot of good advice, even if it is the same vague advice everyone gives about success, and he's got a lot of long-winded stories about his own personal success. It IS inspiring to listen to him, but you're not going to get a lot of terribly practical information here. If you are already on the road to business success, and you want a little light reading to keep your inspiration level high, this is great. If you are looking for a practical plan for improve your job, or looking to turn around things in your personal life, this isn't quite gonna do it.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Simplistic, February 28, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This isn't a bad book, but an appropriate subtitle might be "What Happens When Everything Breaks Your Way".

The author may be holding things back, but I got the sense that he was succeeding with very light burdens upon him, and few obstacles placed in his way. Yes, he was proactive, and the act of setting goals, making plans and following through on them are 1/2 the battle, but the advice here comes off a bit too often as "look at all I've done" and "look at all these world beaters I know" rather than "look at what all you can do".

The advice just doesn't seem to apply to those he don't have the freedom to act quite as freely as the author could. The advice isn't ~bad~, but if you've been around the block a few times, it certainly seems simplistic.

I'm sure there are some people that will just love this book, and if they get something out of it, that's great. However, I've read better books that go deeper into similar material.

Bottom Line? It isn't a bad book, but it could have been a better one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A supportive nudge and kick in the ass, November 28, 2012

This book, at its heart, is the voice so many of us need to hear: reassuring and wise, yet reminding us of our responsibilities to those around us and ourselves. It promises that amazing things WILL happen if you take stock in who you are and what you want out of life, if you share your passion and expertise, and if you recognize the value of your friends, family, and even the complete stranger.

This book is a nudge, a pat on the back, a warm embrace, and a kick in the ass. I hope you all get a chance to enjoy it!

Congrats to C.C. on a job well done!

4.0 out of 5 stars Booklet of common sense, April 3, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Amazing Things Will Happen: A Real-World Guide on Achieving Success and Happiness is a small book easily read in one afternoon. It has 35 chapters of the author's tips or guide or manual to a life of success and happiness including:
how to be a passion hit (try to work in a field that you are passionate about)
trust your gut
knowing when to move on
simplify, focus and attack
no more saying "I Can't"
stop talking; start doing
risk can be scary; embrace it and move forward
quitting is always an option
know what you hate and then don't do it
learning to say no
celebrate success of all sizes
learn from failure, but don't seek it out
don't let the asshats and ankle biters get you down
giving back and gratitude

If you these are the kind of things you don't already know and want to learn, purchase this book. I did not learn a single thing I did not already know by the time I graduated from HIGH school decades ago.

Thank you Amazin' Amazon Vine program for the opportunity to review this short book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Paper Pep Pill, April 1, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This cheerful little book contains 35 short (most about three pages)chapters. Each is devoted to a single principle or idea. Some contain fairly simple exercises. There is a 32 page introduction devoted to the author's life and the lessons he's learned along the way. I don't think this is intended as a manual for life. The material covered is general and frankly, not new.It is not unlike those Chicken Soup for Your soul books. They may not be profound but they can make you feel better by reminding you to keep your eye on the prize. When you need a little pick me up, this book delivers. I think it would appeal to teens as it is short and sweet and doesn't require a great deal of effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful, March 16, 2013
This is indeed a terrific guide for success and happiness. It is not going to give tips that guarantees success, but it does give you tips that are going to help. It actually reminded of Supercharge Your Mornings [A Quick & Easy Guide], just dealing with a different topic. In any case, I think anyone can find this book helpful as it deals with a very general topic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Kick in the Butt, February 22, 2013
John Corcoran "John" (Marin County, CA United States) - See all my reviews
If you are one of those types of people who constantly finds excuses why NOT to do something, then this is a great book for you. CC takes examples from his own life and career to build a framework for how to embrace life and be successful.

The lessons aren't rocket science but often the most difficult lessons for all of us to implement in our own lives are very straightforward. (Why is that, by the way?)

The message really resonated with me because CC credits kindness, humility and hard work with why he has been personally successful, and I strongly agree that these personal qualities are vital. It's a quick read but an important one. Get two copies because I'm sure you will want to share one with a friend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing ;), February 2, 2013
The book Amazing Things Will Happen is inspiring. I found little tabs sticking out of the book at all directions, to remind myself to go back and put that in place in my life.

This book is really like sitting down with a friend and asking, "What's working for you?" And having them actually tell you. It is a reminder that we have within what it takes to reach the life we want.

For Christian friends, I would add a small caveat, this book has a little bit of bad language that I found a bit surprising and unnecessary.

$22.95 $18.16