Despite its tad high of a price, i decided to grab one along with the firetv. and now im pretty sure i'll pick up another so my wife and i can have at it to settle arguments.

I was always partial to the xbox styled controllers, never liked the playstation design. So this was perfectly natural to use.

Pros
-Feels quality
-takes AA...
Published 8 months ago by Darren Levine

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great
Published 8 months ago by Syn N.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much what i expected *Has dead zone analog sticks - Tried xbox controller: WORKS, April 4, 2014
This review is from: Amazon Fire Game Controller (Electronics)

Pros
-Feels quality
-takes AA batteries(i have tons of rechargables, some people may not like this)
-Sleeps to conserve energy, wakes up with a press.
-no wires(kinda implied for any game system in 2013+
-Pairs damn quick and easily

Cons
-it should be $5 cheaper. I know, 5 bucks isn't big, but i think many of those who see it as overpriced would have not thought so with a number like $35 instead of 40
-Has dead zone, see below

overall, if you're of those who hope amazon does make this into a half decent gaming machine, it's a no brainer. I don't think anyone should have the expectation that this will replace an xbox or PS, but it looks to be just what i want, a media box which also does a pretty good job at gaming

Vs Xbox/playstation
Something to think about: This system with 1 remote costs $140. A new xbox 360 4gb E costs only $40 more and is a more serious gaming machine that also has streaming abilities... But then again you'll need the $60ish xbox live service to get full functionality... but then again amazon prime is $99 to add some functionality to the firetv. I wonder now if that prime membership includes the use of online multiplayer games or if that's free...

++UPDATE:
OK, here's hoping amazon improves this, but the controller has a significant analog stick dead zone. What that means is that moving the analog stick a little bit doesn't do anything, you have to move it a lot. this means accurate and minute adjustments to aiming/movement are a lot trickier. taking off a star for this.

++UPDATE 2:
So, it seems you can use the xbox controller with the pc usb adapter, i just ordered one and am going to try it out. I am having a decent enough time with the amazon controller, but no matter what sensitivity settings i try, i can't get a pleasant aiming/movement experience out of it. If the Xbox controller works as faultlessly as others are reporting, i'm going to send back the amazon one and keep the xbox controller. it was only $45 for the controller plus usb adapter, and xbox controllers can be had for $35 each, so the price is pretty much the same but with the xbox controller you're getting something that's been refined.

++UPDATE 3:
The standard xbox wireless controller with PC usb adapter works perfectly. You can buy it as a kit for only a few dollars more than the amazon controller and still add up to 4 xbox controllers which each cost less than the amaazon one. It still doesn't feel quite as accurate as i'm used to, but that must either come down to how the games are made/processed, or i'm just that rusty. Either way, the amazon controller while very OK, i'd say grab the Xbox controllers

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice controller for the Amazon Fire HD, but not necessary if you have a Bluetooth controller, April 6, 2014
Length:: 2:37 Mins

This controller looks suspiciously similar to the similar offering from OnLive, but is a great accessory for the Amazon Fire HD nonetheless. It feels very much like an Xbox 360 controller yet has a much more functional d-pad. The price of the controller is slightly offset by the $10 in Amazon coins you'll receive with purchase.

Pairing with the Fire TV was quick and easy and there is no configuration necessary with the supported games. I tested this with the Fire TV version of Sonic CD and it worked well for retro gaming with fast response and a comfortable feel.

One thing to note, however, is that the Fire TV also works with other standard Bluetooth controllers. So this isn't a necessary purchase if you already have a bluetooth controller that works with other android devices. I tried pairing it up with my Mac and it took over mouse control, making the computer unusable until I removed the batteries from the controller (it was continually moving the mouse pointer to the lower corner of the screen).

If you have a Fire TV and want to play games this will provide the best experience. But there are other less expensive controllers that will perform adequately enough to make this one an optional purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Controller! (But Pricey), April 3, 2014
This review is from: Amazon Fire Game Controller (Electronics)
I am impressed with this controller. I almost didn't get it because I thought the price of $40 was too much for the amount of game playing I would be doing with the Fire TV, but I guess that is the cost of turning the Fire TV into a video game system. In retrospect, I am happy that I did get the controller, as I have enjoyed playing many games on my TV with it.

To connect it to your Fire TV, after you insert the included batteries, go to the "Settings" menu on the Fire TV, then select remotes, and click on the Add a Game Controller option. The TV then prompts you to press a button on the controller, and mine connected within a couple seconds.

It seems like the controller "goes to sleep" after a couple minutes of inactivity. To wake it up, you just press a button, and it connects again within a few seconds.

It feels good in my hands, and the buttons feel of decent quality. It is also nice that there are extra buttons on the controller that can be used to control the Fire TV for watching movies/shows. I now wish I had got 2 (or more) so I could play with others, and I will probably add another one soon.

The game that came with the purchase of my Fire TV and remote is a shooter game (Sev Zero)Sev Zero like a Halo-style game. It is pretty good (in my opinion, though I am not a video game aficionado, I definitely enjoyed it). The graphics were pretty good and the game and controller were very responsive. I will likely continue playing it for a while, though I can't say that I am addicted to it yet.

I then installed Asphalt Airborne 8, a racing game that was free at the time I installed it. Unfortunately, the game then advised me that it needed an additional 1,110MB ( 1 GB!!!) of data to play. So I clicked "Ok" and it began to download. It took a long time to download, but it is a good game with good graphics (at least, considering that this is a streaming TV box).

I was a little concerned about the advertised 55 hour battery life of the controller, but it has not been a problem as the batteries have lasted a long time. (It would have been nice to have the option to plug the controllers in via a USB plug of some sort for occasions where you run out of batteries in the middle of a game, now I will just need to make sure that I always have extra batteries around).

Overall, I am happy that I bought this controller with the Fire TV. I rarely buy things the day they come out, but I am glad I did for this. I have enjoyed using it so far, and I can tell that it is something that will be getting a lot of use!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome controller!, May 13, 2014
This review is from: Amazon Fire Game Controller (Electronics)
First off I absolutely love my Fire TV . I can stream all my Prime shows without the hassle of hooking my Kindle to the TV. My grandkids can play their games on a big screen easily and the controller makes gaming easy . It also acts as a 2nd controller switching thru games and apps easily!!!! Thumbs up Amazon you've done it again!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, April 15, 2014
Syn N. (Tacoma, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazon Fire Game Controller (Electronics)
These won't compare to a Xbox or even a Playstation controller. They just don't have the same build quality as those controller. With that being said as a mock up of the 360 controller it does work. But that about it, It actually not as responsive as one might think, I can feel the delay on the analog stick, when playing Modern Combat 4. Not only that the thumb stick feel very weak. It small but has a plastic feel instead of the rubber feel we are use to. it pretty small to boot. D pad can't tell if it good or not since there really is no games that take full advantage of it yet. I doubt their will be, Unless we get a Killer Instinct clone from Amazon game studio. Which I wouldn't mind honestly. that if they fix the whole memories issue I mention in my Fire TV review. These controller are not worth the asking price, in fact none of the android controller are. They are all build with cheap quality in mind and this is no different. It feel pretty much like playing with a 3rd party controller on console or a better description would be a Nyko WII controller. They work but it just doesn't feel good to use. Most of the time I never had problem with the buttons and these are no different. They work that really all I can say about them. I push enough button in my life time and I've come to point where they all feel pretty much the same to me. FIre Tv didn't have a lot of game varieties to really break these controller down. but compare to all the other these are just average like those of the 3rd party brand on the console.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beats my initial expectations, April 3, 2014
This review is from: Amazon Fire Game Controller (Electronics)
The controller actually exceeded my expectations and it's good. It's definitely not PS3 or Xbox quality but it's much better than the OUYA controller or even some of the iPhone controllers which I've paid much more for. The controller itself was responsive both in the menus and the games that I tried out. The bottom back trigger buttons are kind of awkwardly positioned even though I have large hands. It didn't impact any of the games I played though.

5.0 out of 5 stars The critics need to lighten up..., April 9, 2014
This review is from: Amazon Fire Game Controller (Electronics)
This is a very well designed controller. Well balanced, responsive, and feels comfortable in my hands. Some are complaining that it is too big. I don't think so. I have a PS3 and an Xbox 360, and it feels very similar. This along with the Fire TV makes for a very reasonably priced "mini game console". While the combo won't take any real customer base away from the two big guns, it is a great setup for a casual gamer. My only concern is that there is not enough games available at this point, but adopt early and hope Amazon supports this well in the future. I really like the controller and the Fire TV. I'm buying another of each for my daughter's room. This is much less expensive for her to play on than a dedicated game console. Kudos to Amazon for having the nuts to give this a go. Don't let the negative reviews keep you from buying this. It is a quality piece of equipment that is well worth the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars it is ok, but the d-par is horrible, April 9, 2014
This review is from: Amazon Fire Game Controller (Electronics)
It is good for a generic wireless controller. I am now using a wireless 360 controller on the fire tv. All you need to do is plug in the pc adapter in the usb port and then sync the wireless 360 controller up, much better. Also a wired 360 controller can be used, just plug in the usb. It is worth the extra investment for thr 360 controller.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Game Controller, May 25, 2014
This review is from: Amazon Fire Game Controller (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It’s been many years since I was more into the gaming. Even now I only occasionally indulge myself with a more casual game, mostly on my iPad. However, since getting Amazon Fire TV I have been tempted to re-indulge in playing video games on the big screen. Thanks to this game controller, I have had the opportunity to do exactly that. So far my experience has been mostly positive.

Over the years I’ve come to appreciate Amazon-branded hardware and consumer electronics products. Starting with Kindle (still one of my favorite gadgets), I’ve started using more of the Amazon’s products in categories in which I had previously relied on the brand-name products, such as cables and other accessories. All of the Amazon’s products follow the similar no-nonsense yet fairly high quality pattern. They are functional, well made, and for the most part priced extremely competitively. These things are certainly true of this game controller.

The controller was fairly easy to setup and pair with the Amazon TV box. As I’ve mentioned, I haven’t used stand-alone gaming devices for a long while, so it took me a bit of getting used to before I was comfortable using this controller. Once I got a hang of it playing games was a lot of fun. The controller is well-made and sit very comfortably in my hands. It has good range, and I was able to play the games from any location in my living room without any wireless disruptions.

The range of games available for Fire TV is somewhat limited compared to the other stand-alone gaming devices, so if gaming is something that you are most interested in with your big screen TV, then you will probably be better off buying an older version of one of the flagship gaming consoles (Xbox, PlayStation). But if you already have a Fire TV and want to casually play a few games here and there, then this gaming controller would be a good purchase. It’s a good enough controller that will enhance the usefulness of Fire TV.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Deal When I Bought It, April 6, 2014
This review is from: Amazon Fire Game Controller (Electronics)
I don't do a lot of gaming, but my son said the controller fits/functions really well. It came with the Sev Zero game and 1000 Amazon coins so it was like getting the forty dollar controller for twenty-three bucks. It was easy to pair and it holds its connection. We'll see how long the batteries last, and how well the controller holds up, but so far, so good. It also allows for playing a lot more games on the FireTV. I think that as far as overall design goes, it's seriously ugly (though it is comfortable in my hands), but as long as it keeps working l'll overlook this. Also nice having the separate video controls.

Amazon Fire Game Controller