I *highly* recommend the electronic versions of the Amazon gift cards as well as the ones you can print on your own. I have never had a problem with either of these methods, nor have any of my card recipients.

Published on June 18, 2009 by lori

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful experience
Received the card in a timely manner, but would not work. Kept getting a very uninformative "We're working on the problem, try again in a few minutes" message from Amazon. Two days later and two phone calls to barely understandable customer service I was told that it was active and applied to the account. But it wasn't. Guess it's time for call #3.
Published on January 7, 2009 by Melissa Weber

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful experience, January 7, 2009

An Amazon.com official commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Prime Members BEWARE, December 14, 2008
I am a dedicated Amazon.com shopper, and, am almost always happy. That being said, please note the top of the page should you be an Amazon Prime member. I NEVER thought that Gift Cards from Amazon.com would be subject to additional shipping and handling... The charge to me for two cards? Over $13.

stem
An Amazon.com official commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Aug 28, 2009 1:30:58 PM PDT
Amazon gift cards are now prime eligible, allowing Prime customers to enjoy FREE two-day shipping.
As always, standard shipping is FREE for all customers.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good gift, December 23, 2008
This review is from: Amazon.com Gift Cards (Paper Gift Certificate)
I purchased 4 gift cards that were supposed to have a personalized gift message. There was no gift message on any of the cards and the envelopes did not identify who the intended recepient was. First item that I ever purchased from Amazon that I was not satisfied with.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid these if you plan to mail them, December 28, 2008
This review is from: Amazon.com Gift Cards (Paper Gift Certificate)
I purchased a GC to be mailed on Dec 16th and it still has not be received by Dec 28th. On Dec 28th, I called Amazon customer service and switched the GC to email and I received in less than 2 minutes. As background, I sent this originally via regular mail so the person had something to open for Christmas. As an fyi, the customer service people do not appear to have a clue, as they told me it will take 12 to 48 hours to receive an email gift certificate, but I had it in less than 2 minutes. In short, I should have listened to the other negative feedback before ordering.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible experience, December 11, 2008
Bought three $50 gift cards as gifts, received them and mailed them out. One week letter Amazon emailed me that the cards could not be activated and were no good and they were so sorry. I contacted Amazon and they could not explain what happened but again they were "sorry". So I had to contact recipients and explain their gift was worthless. 7 days later I'm still waiting for a refund to my credit card.

Don't order these-the same thing could happen to you. How embarrassing to give these as gifts.

5.0 out of 5 stars holding a card is not as important as using the card number <=], June 18, 2009
This review is from: Amazon.com Gift Cards (Paper Gift Certificate)

Although it is theoretically better etiquette to give a physical card, I've found that because Amazon is an online vendor and the cardholder is going to visit the web to use the card number, recipients enjoy the convenience of having the card information delivered to their inboxes--especially when it's on the day of a special event. If you use the printed versions, you can easily mail or hand deliver your gift with your personalization applied.

In short, make your life easier by sending joy to your loved ones through the technological magic of your computer--they truly will appreciate the sentiment behind your gift regardless of the delivery method.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Gift but only if it works!, December 16, 2008
This review is from: Amazon.com Gift Cards (Paper Gift Certificate)
Gift Cards are the truly personal gift. My only problem is after I received it and could have given it away as a gift I got an email from Amazon - whoops we forgot to activate your card. Be sure your card is good before giving as a gift. Amazon is very good about notifying and doing refunds but this could leave a procrastinator in the lurch with a bad gift which really will be good when Amazon knows the problem. Kudos for the quick second card and I've checked it and it's fully loaded. Thanks!

1.0 out of 5 stars Card didn't work, December 22, 2008
This review is from: Amazon.com Gift Cards (Paper Gift Certificate)
After I ordered a gift card as a present for someone, it wasn't until after I had already given it to them that I found out the card was never activated. I got a refund, but it was just an annoying situation.

2.0 out of 5 stars Card ok if you can put up with Amazon.com customer service, January 14, 2009
If you've never had a problem shopping from Amazon.com, then you really are not experienced enough to be giving the "gift" of Amazon to someone else. Wait until you've experienced your first screw up, and then evaluate.

I received a gift certificate, but have had trouble using it, because Amazon.com's outsourced customer service does not handle issues well. They are apparently scripted to say that an appropriate person will contact you within 48 hours, but in my experience, follow up contact is not timely. When contact is made, it has been to tell me that the issue was not well documented by the prior agents and to start over explaining my concern once again. After that, I was told, once more, to wait 48 hours for follow-up that did not come. Rinse and repeat.

The problem is that Amazon.com has apparently fire-walled these folks in Bangalore (or some other asian town) from the rest of the company. Therefore, there can be no quick responses to customer concerns. For me, after five contacts, I spoke with a "team lead" who indicated that prior agents had not documented the subject matter of my prior calls (even though I was promised a pompt resolution by those agents).

Add to all this the fact that during the recent holiday season, Amazon.com raised the price of the item I wished to purchase more than once, at the same time that the item's manufacturer was offering it for considerably less. This makes having my "gift" money tied up in an Amazon.com account less than ideal.

Do not expect that the person to whom you intend to give a gift will not have to deal with the customer service department. Try to be forward-thinking enough to consider that a problem might occur. If it does, the recipient will likely have a very negative experience, regardless of the variety of products offered by Amazon.com.

When I asked an Amazon.com customer service agent why Amazon.com was charging 150% of what the manufacturer was selling the product for directly, I was told that the additional expense should be considered to cover the expert customer service available at Amazon.com. This is terribly amusing, considering that the only thing that the agents tend to do is instruct the customer to wait 48 hours for someone else to address the problem (which, in my experience, does not happen).

If you are set on letting someone choose their own gift, you should consider a pre-paid Visa or Mastercard. That way, the recipient could use the funds at Amazon.com if he or she so chooses, and is still free to purchase something locally from a person who could not avoid responding to a customer's concerns.

1.0 out of 5 stars Never purchase a gift card through Amazon!!, January 20, 2009
This review is from: Amazon.com Gift Cards (Paper Gift Certificate)
My bosses gave me a $50.00 gift card a couple of years ago and I could never use it. I got the run-around from so many people online that I finally gave up. I told my bosses and they replaced the gift with a Borders card. The one that ordered it had to fight with her credit card company about reimbusement. I still order from Amazon but merchandise only. I would never, ever buy a gift card from them or suggest to anyone I care about that they should do so either.

Amazon.com $25 Gift Card (0108)
Out of stock