5.0 out of 5 stars Seamless for buying books, dvds
Published on November 5, 2007 by Doug M

1.0 out of 5 stars Trouble with it being sent & trouble using it to buy music
I have purchased two of these cards and am not sure I will ever buy another. The first was to be sent on a specific day, but it did not show up until @ midnight that day. The second one took three calls to customer service before it was actually emailed (more than a day after I originally try to send it).

Both my husband and daughter wanted to use the card with...
Published on March 1, 2008 by NVLady

1.0 out of 5 stars Trouble with it being sent & trouble using it to buy music, March 1, 2008
NVLady (Carson City, NV) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazon.com Gift Cards (Paper Gift Certificate)

Both my husband and daughter wanted to use the card with the Amazon MP3 site. My husband had a difficult time getting the site to pull from the gift card rather than his credit card and after much fighting was able to resolve the issue.

The other card was for my 17 year old daughter. She got the card, created an account and neither of us could get it to work with the MP3 site. After contacting customer service, the "fix" was for me to put my credit card on her account even though she had a gift card. Why should I have to back up a gift card with a credit card?????

Although the cards have initially brought much misery and stress, for the most part the customer service reps at Amazon have been a big help in resolving my issues (canceling the card for my daughter and buying a new one and later transferring the card to my Amazon account and having my daughter us it to purchase music - at least I can control her use by logging in and getting email verifications of the purchases.) I have to say trying to give someone a gift card should not be so much work!

5.0 out of 5 stars Seamless for buying books, dvds, November 5, 2007
Doug M "陀愚" (The Jack n' the Box at the corner) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazon.com Gift Cards (Paper Gift Certificate)
I've received a few gift certificates over the last year, as well as e-cards, and I think they're great. Once they're claimed, they just show up in my account, and automatically apply when I purchase something. I can also look up the balance easily through my account, so I know what my limits are. I also like the fact that I can use them to buy used books sold by other merchants too, which helps me buy the hard-to-find books I like. So far, I've used gift certificates for books and DVDs and have had no problems.

1.0 out of 5 stars I Would NEVER Purchase One Of These Again!!!, October 1, 2010
This review is from: Amazon.com Gift Cards (Paper Gift Certificate)
I purchased a $200 gift card to give as a Christmas gift. I decided not to give the card and then attempted to use the card myself. I was told that the number was no good. After attempts to get this resolved I was told that the card had been used by an unauthorized party. The card had never left my possession, so I know noone other than myself ever saw it. I don't know if they issued the same number to more than one person, or if I was just scammed. Either way, I am out $200 and was told that I would need to contact my credit card company to file a claim. Well, it's been 10 months since I purchased the card so it appears that I am just out $200. I wish I would have read the reviews prior to purchasing this. It seems I'm not the only person that this has happened to!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Is Amazon Looking into This?, September 13, 2013
This review is from: Amazon.com Gift Cards (Paper Gift Certificate)
I purchased 2-$25 gift cards from my local grocery store for myself and my husband for reading materials while we were on vacation a few weeks back. We tried to apply them to our respective Amazon.com accounts and both got the same message.... That the code had already been redeemed to another account. They had never been redeemed to any other account because we scraped off the gray strip. I am NOT happy about this at all and I want to know what Amazon is going to do to make this right. That's $50 down the tube...

5.0 out of 5 stars It's an AMAZON gift card!!, June 23, 2013
Kensuke Takei "Ken T." (Atlanta, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazon.com Gift Cards (Paper Gift Certificate)
I have given and received numerous Amazon gift cards and have redeemed them with no problems. Note to all those who think that everything on the Amazon.com website is sold by Amazon: well, it is not. Since the gift card is an AMAZON gift card, why should it work on items that are just sold through Amazon.com? Those companies are paying a premium to Amazon to sell on Amazon's website. There are many, many item that are sold by Amazon and the gift card/certificate redeemed will work on those items. To me, the cards/certificates have worked perfectly as advertised.

An easy way to find just Amazon.com products is to search as if you were and Amazon Prime customer. Amazon Prime customers get free 2 day shipping on Amazon product only, so, Amazon gift dollars will work on those items. Also, on those items, I have used a card for 100% of the purchase making it so that from my point of view, the product was free, as if the person who gave me the gift dollars actually purchased the product for me. Also, I must note that there are some third party items that will allow an Amazon gift dollars to be used. Unfortunately you may only notice at checkout.

There are a few things that are easily overlooked:
- The redeemer must have an account with credit card in the system.
- Cards from third parties are not consistent. I have and never will purchase a card from a third party. It's safer and easier to go to the source, Amazon.com.
- The most overlooked "gotcha" is that this is an AMAZON gift card and will only work on Amazon.com sold products! (with a few exceptions)
- Keep in mind that media like mp3's (music) and mp4's (movies) may have certain stipulations when purchasing from Amazon, since Amazon has a license to sell from the media company and the media company may have stipulations of how they are sold and rented.

I hope this helps people who are thinking about purchasing a gift certificate/card for a friend or loved one. The most important thing is, again, buy it from the source, Amazon.com!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - not sure what's so hard..., October 24, 2007
This review is from: Amazon.com Gift Cards (Paper Gift Certificate)
Not sure what the problem with Gift Certificates is. I thought I hadn't received it, but found out that somehow I accidentally deleted it without looking at it... Love that I can save my GC in my account and use it whenever without having to try to save the email with the info! Very useful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy with gift certificates, October 28, 2007
Walter I. Gruer "S. Gruer" (Mexico, Mo United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazon.com Gift Cards (Paper Gift Certificate)
I receive two Amazon gift certificates each year from my aunt in Germany and have always been happy with my purchases. It gives her the freedom to send me a gift without the hassle of mailing it and gives me the freedom of getting just what I want. I love it! There are lots of stores to buy from. I have bought, books, music, quesadilla maker, bassinet, the list goes on. No hassles, no lines in the stores, ships right to my door. Thanks Amazon for making shopping online enjoyable and easy.

1.0 out of 5 stars not as easy as brick-and-mortar store certificates, January 22, 2010
This review is from: Amazon.com Gift Cards (Paper Gift Certificate)
I wish I had read the reviews before I purchased a gift card -- but the reviews and any stars don't appear on the gift certificate page that I can see. I purchased this for a recipient who has no credit card, not knowing that a credit card number is required to redeem the certificate. After being unable to redeem the card, he spent some time on the phone with customer service, as did I. There is, apparently, no way to use the card without a number, which seems to negate the whole point of a gift card. At one point, the customer service rep blithely replied that the recipient could use his debit card. Apparently the whole concept of being cardless was beyond her comprehension. I've learned, in talking with people about this card's drawbacks, that my sister also had problems redeeming an Amazon gift card a few years ago and neither she nor the person who gave her the card got the money back.

1.0 out of 5 stars Gift card code won't work, May 16, 2011
This review is from: Amazon.com Gift Cards (Paper Gift Certificate)
Bought an Amazon gift card from Target, receipt says Kindle -number- Activation successful. Went to /kindlegift, followed instructions to scratch card and entered 16 digit number- website says invalid. Fooled around for more than 15 minutes with different combinations of key strokes between the 4 alphanumeric groups without success. Amazon's answer was to report the code number on a form meant for problems with a 17 digit order number which, not surprisingly, the form would not accept. I sent a screen shot of the nonworking form with the none working code number as a return email. Amazon's return email to me repeated using the the nonworking order form. It looks like I am out $25 because I refuse to play telephone tag with them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Code had already been redeemed, October 7, 2011
This review is from: Amazon.com Gift Cards (Paper Gift Certificate)
I received an Amazon gift card code with a LivingSocial purchase. It was only $10 which is very lucky b/c when I went to redeem the code it told me that it had already been redeemed by another Amazon account. I got nowhere with Amazon after live chatting and emailing with foreign customer service reps repeatedly, none of whom could seem to get beyond the language barrier to understand that I could not contact the "person" that gifted me with the card since it was part of a LivingSocial purchase. Even if I had been able to contact an individual about it, what are they supposed to do? It's clearly a glaring problem with the Amazon gift code redemption process that people are able to redeem gift codes for account credit that do not actually belong to them, essentially stealing from other Amazon customers. I even followed up asking if they were at least looking into the situation and taking action to reprimand the Amazon account owner who ended up redeeming my code. Amazon basically brushed me off telling me again to contact the "person" who gave me the gift card. It's incredibly frustrating that I got nowhere with Amazon on the problem. I did attempt to contact LivingSocial to at least tell them to think twice before including and Amazon gift card as a part of their deals anymore. They were nice enough to credit my LivingSocial account the $10. I would never buy an Amazon gift card. It's far too much of a risk.

Amazon.com Gift Cards