Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Amazon Daily forum

Amazon Changed 2nd Day Prime Shipping Carriers - Ontrac - What do you think?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2009 7:15:04 AM PST
Charl says:
Ontrac has been a nightmare for me.

I have never had a problem with UPS, FedEx or any other carrier leaving packages on my door. Ever since Amazon made the switch to Ontrac, The package tracking always shows up Delivered, but there is no package to be found.

This has happened to my last two orders.

My bets are that the Ontrac delivery personnel has snipped these items.

Why do I think so?

The first order tracking claimed that the item was left on the backdoor. Our backdoor is sealed off with a fence from the front of the house. A backdoor-left package would be impossible without trespassing, something I don't think any deliverer would do. Furthermore, it was for a car-specific Air filter. Days later, I receive the box in front of my house, CLEARLY already OPENED, probably because the Deliverer found that he couldn't use the product.

Fast forward to my second order this week, which I had 2day shipping to get by this weekend. I was disgusted to find another package that had been "left at my door" with no package to be found.

Amazon has ordered NEXT day replacement, for these items, but I like Amazon, and don't want them to suffer these unnecessary costs. They are losing a lot of money on my last orders because of these Thieves from Ontrac.

I'm in Los Angeles, CA.

Posted on Nov 25, 2009 9:21:08 AM PST
Ladyjn13 says:
They cannot deliver consistently as promised, plus their customer service people are down right rude on the phone. Who cares if this is a time sensitive shipment, not OnTrac.

Posted on Nov 25, 2009 5:23:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2009 5:23:53 PM PST
Mark R says:
I was totally happy with Amazon - until they started using Ontrac. After three bad experiences with them, I've sent a complaint to Amazon. Something stinks.

Posted on Nov 25, 2009 8:11:23 PM PST
G. Ishida says:
Recently, I switched to Amazon Prime because I've been very pleased with Amazon and their service. BUT, I had my first bad experience with Amazon thanks to OnTrac. I was home all afternoon awaiting a delivery from Amazon via OnTrac, and nothing arrived. OnTrac's website indicated that the package had been delivered to my front door which was a lie. I contacted Amazon's customer service who were great in resolving this problem, but I hope Amazon will end their partnership with Ontrac soon. If not, I foresee many, many unhappy customers this holiday season.

Posted on Nov 25, 2009 11:21:39 PM PST
K. Tran says:
I agree. My order has been lost as well and the customer service representative doesn't seem to care when I suggest to them that ONTRAC is not good.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2009 8:27:44 AM PST
Mark R says:
Really? I've never had a problem with Amazon's customer service. Ask to speak to someone else about it - maybe a supervisor - and request a refund for your order. I was given a refund and didn't even ask for it.

Posted on Nov 28, 2009 11:16:57 AM PST
E. daniell says:
HUGE problems with Ontrac in San Jose as well. 5 misplaced packages in 8 days. Please make sure you are sending your complaints to both ONTRAC and AMAZON. When I called to complain, I was told I'm the only one who has reported any problems.

Posted on Nov 30, 2009 6:51:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2009 8:58:01 PM PST
Jax2 says:
I seem to be having a similar problem to others here, and on other forums I've read online. My two AmazonPrime orders have been "out for delivery" since 9:58 this morning. I've stayed home all day long to make sure to be able to take the delivery. It's now 6:44 and no packages. Tracking still reads out for delivery. I've phoned customer service and they had only the same info I got from online, but took my number and said they'd have one of the Amazon specialty group phone me up this evening once they figure out where my package is. We'll see. I rely on reliable shipping as I often use Amazon for business purchases that must be here on time. I've otherwise been very happy with their service and my subscription to their Prime service is a reflection of that. This is my first known experience with OnTrac (though have had some odd experiences with plain white vans delivering items to me here in Seattle). I most certainly will not renew my Prime membership if this kind of thing continues. There's plenty of other online sources to purchase most things available from Amazon, who do not use OnTrac for shipping.

Follow-Up: I got a call back from OnTrac from a woman who told me she'd spoken to the driver and the package would be delivered at 7:30PM. I commented that was very late to deliver a package. She said nothing at all to that, then repeated that it would be there at 7:30. 7:30 comes around and no sign of the package. Checked outside up until just before 8 and gave up. So before I go to bed, I go down to lock the front door and lo and behold there is the package sitting outside. No knocks, no doorbell, they just left sometime after 8PM thought their tracking indicates it was delivered earlier(?!?!). Had I not checked before I went to bed the box would have sat outside all night, and may or may not be there in the morning (we live in a good neighborhood, but have had a string of packages being stolen from being left outside doors - our neighbor actually witnessed this happen to one of our packages!). Again, I sure don't want to see OnTrac on any of my tracking from Amazon again. If this becomes a regular thing I will drop my Prime membership and shop elsewhere.

Posted on Dec 1, 2009 5:23:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2009 8:44:09 PM PST
Chandra says:
I have ordered 4 things in the past 3 days and all are through ONTRAC. Looks like it is for people in CA and some other areas where ONTRAC serves.
I just got one - On time at 6:00 PM though. The person did take my signature and also name. So its atleast better than UPS who sometimes just drop it in leasing office. Not to JINX my other shipments .. i will reserve my comments till i get all my packages safely, For now its 1 out of 4 score.
Updated - Got the remaining 3, at 8:00pm, perfect. atleast i got it .. just that one of them was biscuits and out of 7 packs, 3 are completely crushed .. it was 4$ per pack. Very back .. i wont blame ONTRAC, but somehow someone crushed it bad . its either packing or whatever.

Posted on Dec 2, 2009 1:53:59 PM PST
D. C says:
Yeah I hate Ontrac, today they lefted a big package that I order from Amazon wide open in front of my door, If I wasn't home, someone could had took it. Amazon please stop using Ontrac.

Posted on Dec 2, 2009 4:40:13 PM PST
M. Medina says:
Ive been a prime member for years, Amazon just switched me to Ontrac and I'm debating on not ordering from Amazon anymore. Ive spent THOUSANDS of dollars here, this year alone over 300 items purchased, thousands over the years, and maybe 3 issues with UPS/Fedex. Ive had 4 boxes 'misplaced" and the real burner is I bought a Kindle for my girlfriend for Xmas and it was supposed to be delivered on Nov 30, still noting. I called Ontrac and they said they would have the driver call me....never did. Last blu-ray that went missing same thing, said delivered but nothing, I called up and they said the driver would call....never did. The next day the movie showed up in my mail box.....that is locked. Weird and this will ruin Amazon on the west coast.

Posted on Dec 2, 2009 5:53:52 PM PST
Conner Kent says:
I've also been an Amazon Prime customer for many years and had an issue with Ontrac. This is what I sent to customer service:

"I have a complaint to make with Amazon's recent shipping carriers. For years Amazon has primarily used UPS which always arrived on time. Lately, Amazon has employed ONTRAC which has become a recurring problem for me.

When the delivery person cannot get access to my building, I get a phone call from ONTRAC, somewhat annoyed, complaining that they cannot get in. Generally most carriers will at least leave a "We missed you" slip with information on where I can pick something up if it cannot be delivered. This does not happen. Once the woman requested a code to get into the building, which -1- I do not have, and -2- I do not have the authorization to give.

I don't care for this shipping company and would like to know if I can request for a different kind of carrier. Additionally, if for some reason the items are returned because no one can deliver I want to express my disgust over this. I am a Amazon Prime customer and for $80/year I deserve better than to have you use a subpar carrier.

Thank you."

I'm in the Los Angeles area as well. The dispatcher made it sound like she was put out because the driver had issues getting entry to my building.

UPS, FedEx, anyone else (aside from DHL which is a story in itself) have never had these issues. But it does make me question whether or not to keep my Amazon Prime membership.

Posted on Dec 5, 2009 2:55:48 PM PST
Conner Kent says:
Update to my last post... one of the packages that OnTrac never delivered, got "lost" somewhere in transit. Shocking.

I apprised Amazon of the situation and they shipped the item out again, "overnight".... via OnTrac. Sigh.

I think I might tell Amazon that I will not be renewing my subscription to the Prime service. It's not worth it when it takes over a week to receive something that would've come quicker with UPS etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2009 8:40:05 AM PST
Einstein123 says:
I have had now three failures of Ontrac overnight deliveries in a row.

The first one arrived in their local distribution center but was not delivered that day because of "bad weather".
It was raining that day, but I would not consider that a reason why they could not deliver a package.
I then requested an SMS notification when I could pick up this package at the local distribution facility
since I absolutely had to have this package. The SMS did not arrive until very late the following day
which caused me to miss a business obligation. Amazon was nice enough to waive the overnight shipping
charge on this but it does not change the fact that it did not get delivered on time.

The most recent experience (non Amazon) was that the sender requested "sign to leave package"
but the driver thought it meant "signature in person" which I can't do since I am not home during the day.
The sender then asked to waive the signature requirement, but the driver did not leave the package anyway
and instead returned it.

FEDEX and UPS may cost more, but work like a charm and have basically never failed me.
I would recommend switching back to a delivery service that knows what they are doing.

Posted on Dec 8, 2009 10:13:54 AM PST
J. Davidson says:
Add me to the list. I've now had three shipments "missing" since last week. One of them is actually a replacement for the first "missing" package. Which Amazon again shipped via OnTrac. OnTrac is actually California Overnite. They changed their name.

Posted on Dec 8, 2009 4:32:59 PM PST
Same thing supposed Delivery Attempt made but they didn't as I was home all day. Now they can't redeliver because the package is 11 minutes from my home but it is too far away.

Posted on Dec 9, 2009 10:10:16 AM PST
S. Stoner says:
I've been receiving my regular deliveries for Amazon via Ontrac and haven't had any issues so far. Strange... but then again I live in the North Bay. Maybe it's a regional problem? I'd suggest calling Ontrac and requesting the issue be brought to the local manager. My local Ontrac driver is awesome

Posted on Dec 9, 2009 11:58:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2009 12:15:51 PM PST
Immense frustration with OnTrac for Amazon Prime deliveries. OnTrac has no system in place to handle condo and apartment complex gate access codes. Several deliveries have been delayed a day or more because of this issue. I called OnTrac's customer service number to explain the situation and was told that after I place an order w/ Amazon and receive a confirmation code, I should call OnTrac and give them the gate code ahead of time. Should I really have to do this for every order because this supposedly professional shipping service is incapable of keeping a database of gate codes? And what are the chances of this info actually getting to the driver? UPS, FedEx, and DHL somehow manage to find their way in on a regular basis.

OnTrac staff seem like a bunch of amateurs. The customer service person I talked to sounded about 12 and uttered a sustained "uuuuuuuh....." when I asked if they had a plan to address this glaring issue. To make matters worse, the Amazon ordering interface doesn't provide a field for special delivery instructions.

I'm very disappointed with this development and will likely cancel my Amazon Prime membership if OnTrac and/or Amazon don't come up with a way to fix this.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2009 12:50:43 PM PST
Mark R says:
Absolutely agree. And to add insult to injury, in my community, the gate is open all day until 5pm, yet they still call me and say that they can't make the delivery until I give them a gate code. It's ridiculous.

Posted on Dec 10, 2009 11:48:12 AM PST
Paul Ragan says:
My package was signed for by "Front Yard" (we live in an apartment) and I even gave it an extra week to show up, but still nothing. OnTrac customer service so far seems really helpful, and I'm pretty confident that Amazon will make it right.

Looking at my order history, I didn't get a single 2-day package via OnTrac until late November, so maybe it's just being used over the holidays when UPS/Fed-Ex have more than they can handle.

Posted on Dec 12, 2009 8:06:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2009 8:07:04 AM PST
C. Bellavia says:
I am having the same problem! According to the tracking system, the package was delivered, but I never received it. This is the first package from Amazon that has been shipped by ONTRAC, and prior to this I have never had a problem. I hope Amazon gets rid of ONTRAC mmediately!

Posted on Dec 13, 2009 6:03:00 PM PST
Ironwolfe says:
Currently going through an Ontrac nightmare, too. Ordered a sale DVD which was supposed to be delivered Wednesday. No DVD and voicemail that the driver couldn't get into the security building. I figured okay - we've got a security gate and the owner won't put in an electronic entry system. Left that gate open all day Thursday and got a voicemail from Ontrac that the driver didn't have the security code so he couldn't get into the building. I gave them the manager's phone number, told them the gate had been open all day and that I'd leave it open the next day. I did, and got another voicemail the next day. The driver didn't get a response on the intercom system. Not surprising, really, since there is no intercom system. I've mentioned to them that the building is on a corner, and has a side gate that is closed and a front gate that is open. Pretty much done everything except lay breadcrumbs or yellow bricks for the driver, and they purportedly are going to deliver this Monday. Whether they do or not, frankly I'm going to be ordering from Amazon a lot less frequently. It would be very nice if Amazon would simply give you the option to ship via old reliable USPS, but that's probably a pipe dream.

Posted on Dec 14, 2009 11:00:40 PM PST
David Tran says:
They should definitely switch back to their old service. I loved Amazon Prime and all of its goodness before this.

Posted on Dec 15, 2009 6:02:52 PM PST
Same problem for me. First package sent by Ontrac, the tracking says delivered but I didn't receive it.

Posted on Dec 15, 2009 8:10:43 PM PST
Conner Kent says:
It's happened yet again... this time with a Christmas gift for my mom who is leaving town in a few days. Great.

I phoned OnTrac's 800 number and unfortunately the person I spoke to, while polite, had no bearing on the local (Burbank area) people. But I was told that I could indeed pick my package up in Sun Valley - which I was told I couldn't do when I spoke to the obnoxious dispatcher before - and I was also told that the driver SHOULD leave a door slip... which they have never done. (Has anyone else seen a door slip/receipt from this company?)

I have e-mailed Amazon and told them of this latest situation, and left the ultimatum that if they don't stop using OnTrac, I am no longer going to use Amazon Prime. Which is a shame, because it's a service I've had and enjoyed ever since they started using it. It's just not worth the drama.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 120 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Amazon Daily forum
Participants:  1360
Total posts:  2976
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2009
Latest post:  3 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 118 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about