4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful game!
First thing to say is this game is absolutely beautiful to look at. It truly is a work of art and interacting with it is delightful! This isn't a difficult game but it is fun and can be picked up pretty quickly with just a few minutes of practice.

Published on March 2, 2009 by P. H. Howard

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful meets Boring
The game itself is beautiful and stunning and I could look at it forever, but the gameplay is very limited. As a fairy you collect pollen while avoiding harms way, and you are limited to the screen. There really isn't much to this game, it's very basic, but again, very beautiful.
Published on May 12, 2009 by Jamie Wilson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful game!, March 2, 2009
This review is from: The Great Tree [Download] (Software Download)

Has a bit of an RPG element in that you can choose which skills to upgrade as you progress and change "wing sets" to give you special abilities. The only thing I don't really care for personally is the cut-scenes (who really does), although they do carry forward a somewhat interesting story and gratefully they are short.

I find it rather relaxing compared to a shooter or standard RPG. It's simple and elegant in it's game play. Pick this one up if you fancy a mildly challenging game or you have fantasies of being Fairy Folk. You won't regret it. Worth the $6.99 price tag.

5.0 out of 5 stars May I have another!!, June 19, 2009
This review is from: The Great Tree [Download] (Software Download)
This game is exactly what I needed. The mouse lets you become the fairy with all the fun that comes with flying, battling rather odd bugs and bad guys. The spidermen made me laugh, and the black and red creepies made me mad. Why aren't there more games like this one Reflexive?

The artwork is beautiful, sometimes I get distracted and get my butt kicked, but what a way to die (lol). I maxed out on the scoring 16M. Even the muscle man at the intro is fun to watch.

Thank you Reflexive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique gameplay - recommended if you want something new and different, March 21, 2010
This review is from: The Great Tree [Download] (Software Download)
The game itself is fun, for what it does. It's a simple game involving a faerie who needs to fly around the screen collecting pollen for the Great Tree. As you do this, a backstory unfolds of creatures being captured, possible treachery and so on. As you collect pollen, you start to develop a long ponytail. When it gets long enough, a sound prompt lets you know you have collected the maximum you are able. When maxed out you can then attack the various other creatures flying about to increase your score. Otherwise you need to avoid them or you'll lose your pollen and health until you've lost a life. As you advance in levels, you earn points you can spend on improving your strength, health, agility, and magic power. You also earn special "wings" of various colors you can use to assist in various ways depending on which wings you choose to use.

The game itself is rather unique and the faerie you control responds well to your mouse movements. The background song, while repetitive after a while, is still catchy and pleasant to listen to. I have only one problem with this game. Twice now it has completely erased all my saved data for no apparent reason forcing me to start over from the beginning. The first time I wasn't very far so I didn't mind too much, however this last time I almost finished the game. I won't be repeating all these hours for a third time, especially since I don't know the cause. I use CCleaner frequently to clean all the, well you know, on my computer and it's possible the program is identifying player data as temporary file and deleting. It's just a guess and outside of this I can't speculate on any other reason why I keep losing my player data on my Windows XP system so I'm uninstalling it.

Edit 6/5/2011:
As suspected, CCleaner is most likely the cause of the "disappearing" savefiles. A helpful fellow Amazonian pointed out the following in the comments:
On the Reflexive forum people are saying it's caused by registry/system cleansers like CCleaner which deletes the .sol 'save game' files. In particular it appears it's just these two files:
C:\Documents and Settings\<name>\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\EDF8QSZ8\localhost\TGTConfig_cookie.sol
C:\Documents and Settings\<name>\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\EDF8QSZ8\localhost\TGTPlayer01_cookie.sol

My main computer is in the shop so thanks to Amazon policy of keeping our game purchases in a permanent database, I decided to reinstall The Great Tree and finish it completely. Yes, as others have mentioned, the gameplay is repetitive. I have a problem with this argument since almost all games are repetitive. Moving from one environment to the next killing people in your typical shooter or killing baddies and upgrading your gear in your typical rpg doesn't seem much different than moving from one environment to the next collecting pollen, killing baddies, and upgrading your abilities in this game. The difficulty ramps up slowly but don't be fooled by the relative ease of the first hour's trial. There are 100 levels to complete and as you get deeper into the game things get really hectic. Creatures hang down from the sky waiting to grab you and whisk you away to their lair (instant death). Giant caterpillars somehow shoot you with electricity out of their antennae. Even certain plants spit sap that will make you drop all of your pollen if touched. Nature is not this little faerie's friend.

Upped the review to four stars. It's a simple game with great art, responsive controls, and an interesting premise that's easy to learn but difficult to master. As a bonus, you'll be an expert on the mouse by the time you've finished. Definitely worth a try if you're tired of the many hidden-object or time management games being churned out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved This Game!, March 12, 2009
This review is from: The Great Tree [Download] (Software Download)
Great graphics, lots of levels, harder each time. Wish there was another similar game from Reflexive (hint, hint)

5.0 out of 5 stars Whimsical,beautifully presented, April 23, 2009
This review is from: The Great Tree [Download] (Software Download)
This is an awesome looking game for this price.The graphics are beautiful!
The game play is also fun,and inventive.
It is a gentle diversion from real life,which ain't so whimsical and beautifully presented at times.
I'm glad I purchased it. Good for adults and older kids,I think.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful meets Boring, May 12, 2009
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars

3.0 out of 5 stars This is it?, September 24, 2009
This review is from: The Great Tree [Download] (Software Download)
I played the game and enjoyed it pretty much. It was different. The ending was rather lame. I expected the last level to be much harder and "dangerous", but it went really quickly and was over before I knew it. I don't know if I will play it again for quite awhile, tho.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love the great tree!, June 12, 2011
This review is from: The Great Tree [Download] (Software Download)
I had this game loaded on my previous computer, the kids & grand-kids love it (as do I!). When that machine gave me it's all, I sadly lost this game :( Luckily I did a search & found it once again :) for ...7 bucks???? Sold!!! For hours of relaxation, or a needed brain exercise (hand/eye coordination), or a rainy day entertainer. Amazon never lets me down!!

3.0 out of 5 stars good game, but wouldn't save, November 29, 2012
This review is from: The Great Tree [Download] (Software Download)
I really liked this game, but it got boring because I was unable to save my progress. I had to start over every time which really took the fun out of it . I tried everything I coud think of to correct the problem to no avail.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice game., September 11, 2012
dennis "Florida" (Miami, FL, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Tree [Download] (Software Download)
I thought is was okay, but perhaps too easy in the beginning but as you go on, it get's really much more difficult, and the hard mode is more than you'll ever need to keep you busy.
GREAT GAME for young kids too. I loved this game.

And by the way...there are a bunch of bugs in this game with windows 7, 64 bit O.S. so beware you'll have some crashed games but nothing that will hurt your computer. Why they can't get it right is amazing to me.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Great Tree [Download]
The Great Tree [Download] by Amazon Digital Services Inc.
$6.99