Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on February 4, 2009
I bought this after playing the demo. It is the perfect casual game for a netbook user. It plays flawlessly on my Eee PC 900HA.

The game is simple and easy to pickup. Unique puzzle shapes and "locked" cells add some challenge to the typical match-3 style game play.

What I liked most was the fact that it had a built-in screen saver. This is a virtual aquarium of sorts, customizable with 22 species of fish and 3 different reef backgrounds. New fish are rewarded/unlocked when you complete certain levels. This is what really kept me into the game; I kept pressing on to unlock the next fish.

Game graphics are decent. Screensaver graphics are great and very realistic.

The relaxing island-style music gets a little repetitive, but that's my only complaint.

Highly recommended time-killer. Grab it for your next long flight.
11 comment|87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 20, 2009
Big Kahuna Fish is a simple, but strangely addictive puzzle game. I wouldn't call it fun but it is fairly engaging. A minor complaint is that there is an ad for the sequel game after each fish is unlocked.

The main reason I'm writing this review is to confirm that the game is indeed FREE. Many people have complained about this download being a 30-minute trial upon installing. I encountered the same problem myself but I figured out that this is because when you start the game for the first time, it links up with the Amazon Downloader. If the Downloader is running, it checks your Amazon download history, sees that the game was "purchased" at $0.00 and activates the full game. If, on the other hand, you don't have Amazon Downloader active or if it's been uninstalled, the game will remain a trial and you'll be another person complaining about it on Amazon's website.

This is a roundabout way to offer a free game, but there are probably two reasons why it's like this:

1) Amazon is slowly taking over the world through their programs, and
2) The game was actually sold at a regular price in the past.

I couldn't find any information in the help section about the Downloader having to be active, so Amazon should be ashamed about that. But I imagine they use the same method for all of their free games so we might as well get used to it.

Hope this helps.
on February 6, 2009
This game is fun. Nothing too complex. Similar concept as Bejeweled. The game doesn't take up the whole screen either. Its a great game to have running while you may be busy with something else. The rounds are timed, however, once you click away from the game's active screen, everything pauses. This is good for if you need to run off and do something else, you won't time out of your current round.
on April 26, 2009
For those who are wondering about a potential Trojan: I scanned the both the install file as well as the game directory after installation using AVG and SpyBot (on 4/25/09), and they detected no virus/malware. Presumably, the warning was a false alarm.

However, what you're getting here is not the full game of Big Kahuna Reef, but as others have pointed out, merely a demo of the game which lasts 30 minutes. Unfortunately, this is not really enough time to get a good sense of the program at all (and certainly not enough to get a real sense of enjoyment), though it was of moderate fun the short while it lasted. My recommendation? Don't waste your time with this; if you've already played the game and want the full version, you won't get it here. If you haven't, this little taste won't be enough to really give you a feel for it.
44 comments|50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 6, 2009
This game is relaxing. There is soft music with a tropical sound and beat playing as you match 3 or more tiles to clear the screen.

You earn more fish as you play and can fill the tank as full as you like and choose different reefs. This is a game Like Bejeweld or Super Collapse, if you like those then you will enjoy this one.

Lots of different tools also to help you clear each level. I'm enjoying the game very much. Adult gamer.

The price cannot be beat. THANKS AMAZON!
VINE VOICEon September 17, 2009
According to many reviewers, the free download of Big Kahuna Reef is a demo that expires after 30 minutes. I am up to level 56 and the game is still going strong with no sign of any time limitations.

It's a silly game, of course, but it gets harder and harder as you ascend each level and it's a great excuse to put off vacuuming or some other tedious occupation. It looks like I will be able to match little goodies forever. 4 stars because Big Kahuna has quite a bit to offer for absolutely nothing.
on April 24, 2010
I got the full game free on a special offer from Amazon. When it works, it's an entertaining match three game with enough levels to keep me amused. Unfortunately, after a period of playing, something happens and the dreaded "Cannot MapAndLoad" message appears. I've re-downloaded three times, with the same result. Amazon's help only applies to downloading. It would be good if there were a link to the software developers. The whole experience is discouraging, and a mark against Amazon.
44 comments|11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 17, 2012
Should have known better than to download a free program - no such thing as a free lunch, they say, and it's true. After downloading this, I found both my internet browser default home page changed and a few add-ons to my internet browser and computer that I didn't want or ask for. Took about an hour to clean all of the unwanted programs off. Not worth the hassle.
on March 14, 2012
Amazon had this as a free app and lately FREE means what it is: worthless. But Kahuna Reef is a nice surprise. It is fun and can be challenging.

It has 100 levels which should keep anyone busy for a spell; plus a bonus 50.

The game resembles Jewels/Bedazzled insofar as you need to line up 3 icons in a row.The goal is to turn the board BLUE (i.e. all squares have to be played). But it is the added extras I like: the skeleton fish players have to avoid. Do NOT line these up or you are penalized. The 'locked' icons which require some skill to unlock. And the 'net' that allows the player to free up a space.

I play the 'relaxed' mode just because I like to take my time to figure out the 'lay of the land'. I recommend this app highly.
on August 31, 2009
The game seems well-constructed and was enjoyable to play, but I uninstalled it quickly. It appeared on my main Amazon page as a 'recommended' item with a cost of $0.00; nowhere did it clearly say that it was a 30-minute version that was timed to expire. I appreciate that developers need to get paid, but if this is a trial version, then SAY its a trial version. Heck, put an asterix next to the $0.00 so folks know. I would have gladly tried it out and paid for the full version if I was aware of this up front, but instead I had to download and run the the 'Amazon Software Installer' and then the software itself. No thanks- please be more honest up front.