1,269 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A detailed review of the COVER, not the price. Read on...
First, let's not turn this into a debate about the price. Haven't we had enough of that nonsense with the book reviews? Below, is a detailed review of the PRODUCT itself, with just a minor comment on the price/value.

DESIGN:
Published on October 21, 2011 by Joe

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware: Not the same color as the picture!
UPDATE: the photos on the Amazon webpage were updated and now match the color of the product.

Published on October 29, 2011 by Brent

5.0 out of 5 stars A detailed review of the COVER, not the price. Read on..., October 21, 2011

DESIGN:
This is Amazon's best designed cover to date. The kindle easily and securely snaps in place - there are no hinges or annoying elastic corner bands and all buttons and the power port are fully accessible. In addition, they removed all types of straps and cords. These were a problem on previous models for a number of reasons: they broke or snapped after regular use, they made the cover uncomfortable to hold, they added extra weight/bulk, and they were very unattractive. The front cover is weighted to stay closed when the kindle lies flat (it won't pop up). To be clear, there is no strap, clasp or magnet to secure it in place (just like the front flap of a hardcover book). Kindle users like myself were looking for two things: sleekness/thin fit and a case that was aesthetically pleasing that didn't scream "kindle nerd," and they delivered. This case is slim, tight, and ultra sleek. After all, the main attribute of this new kindle is its small size and weight. No one wants a cover that will negate that.

QUALITY:
The cover is made of good quality leather and has a nice feel. The inside of the front cover (the part that touches the screen when closed) is a microfiber material designed to protect the screen and avoid scratches. The section that holds the kindle in place around the perimeter is hard rubber and grips it very well. This is not "cheap" or poorly made at all. I feel like I got my money's worth.

COMFORT:
It's extremely comfortable to hold, whether with one hand (the cover easily flips back and was designed to do so) or with two hands like a physical book. It easily fits in a coat pocket, briefcase, or purse. Again, people were fed up with all the straps and such so the fact that they got rid of them adds to the comfort factor. As for protection, it's good enough to prevent scratches and dings, but if it takes a big fall it probably won't help. Don't buy this case if you're looking for hardcore protection.

VALUE:
Just a brief comment that's not affecting the # of stars: Yes, this costs 50% of the device itself, but until Amazon decides to price the accessories as aggresively as the kindle, we're going to have to deal with it. Besides, if you're going to use it regularly you'll get your money's worth. I will say that at $59.99, the lighted cover is quite costly and you need to weigh the cost against how much you'll use it. I can't read in bed as I'll fall asleep in 5 minutes, so it's not an issue for me.

SUMMARY:
An excellent, extremely thin and form-fitting case that addresses all the problems with previous versions. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made and elegant, with small caveat, October 31, 2011
This review is from: Amazon Kindle Leather Cover, Olive Green (does not fit Kindle Paperwhite, Touch, or Keyboard) (Accessory)
I love the way the Kindle snaps into this case and fits perfectly--it is truly "Made for Kindle." I love that it adds so little weight, that my Verso clip-on light can clip right over it, that it opens fully so it can be held with the front folded fully back, that all the controls are flush with the edges of the cover.

But I do wish it had some sort of closure. I sewed some 1/8" elastic that I will use when I need it to positively stay shut. One star off for no closure (I'd remove only half a star if that were an option).

Now we come to the colors... Was some designer in the middle of a depression when the colors were chosen? Color taste is subjective, I know, but black, dead maroon, or jarring yellowish olive green? Not a cheerful tone in the bunch! How about a deep royal blue, forest green, or teal? Or even a rosy red? C'mon, Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Look, Feel and Workmanship, October 29, 2011
I'm not going to go into a detailed description of the product as this was well done by other reviewers. I wanted to take the time to leave a very positive review for this product because the quality of this cover really impressed me. I was reluctant to spend $40 for a cover, too, but I took my chances and I'm so glad I did. The device fits perfectly in the hard rubber interior of the cover and won't move at all (in addition to being protected all around the edges, with openings for the USB/Power button and the page forward/back buttons on both sides of the device). The leather and stitches are beautifully finished and this cover really has a classy look and a secure feel. I am happy to say that I got what I paid for, in a good way! The cover doesn't add much weight to the device and can easily be held open for reading with one hand. I recommend spending a few extra bucks for this really nice accessory. I got the green version, which is actually a bit darker than on the official product picture. The leather is olive green, not apple green. Finally, here is my original contribution: the cover closed WITH the device inside (Kindle 4, Wi-Fi, 6") and securely fitted weighs exactly 275 grams or 9.70 ounces, just in case you were wondering.

5.0 out of 5 stars This model vs. the 'lighted' version, October 28, 2011
There's nothing wrong with this cover. In fact, if you DON'T read at night or if you prefer to keep the lights on while reading this is probably the best Kindle cover your money (quite a bit of money) can buy. If you DO read at night with the lights off - my case - then you are better off with Kindle Lighted Leather Cover, Black which, for a (substantial) bit more money adds an integrated you-don't-know-it's-there-until-you-use-it, Kindle-powered Three(small)-LED lamp built into the cover.

I've ordered the 'lighted' version for myself but my wife wanted this model and she's happy with it. Both my wife and I are happy with our purchases. The two are identical, except for this version (hers) lacking the lamp.

Now, for features and my evaluation:

- Good (not cheap) looking leather. You won't be ashamed to carry it around.
- Quite durable. I've been carrying my Kindle 3 with a similar cover for more than a year now and it looks as good as new.
- Kindle is well protected, especially when the cover is closed.
- Allows access to the USB port at the bottom even when closed. You can charge the Kindle without having to open the cover.
- Costs less.

This is what you get in addition to the above if you order the 'lighted' model:

- 2 gold-plated attachments power the lamp off the Kindle's battery. Never need to worry about charging the lamp. Only the Kindle. Based on my experience, the power drain is negligible.
- Lamp and its arm cradle inside the cover and is invisible when not in use. To use it, you simply pull it out and light turns itself own. The Lighted model does appear to be just a little heavier.
- White, Three-LED light, of course.

I am pleased with my cover and my wife loves hers. The five stars are well deserved if you don't mind the price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware: Not the same color as the picture!, October 29, 2011
Brent (Durham, NC) - See all my reviews

I ordered the Green case and have viewed it on two different computers with different type of monitors - the color on both was a very bight, vibrant greenish-yellow. When the case arrived this morning it's a different color completely - almost a dark brown-yellow, mustard. Nowhere even close. That's really disappointing - if I wanted something close to brown I would have ordered brown.

As for the actual case, it's pretty amazing compared to the others I've tried. It's PERFECT. Very light, form fitting and when you fold the cover back it is complete flush with the back of the device. I wish it didn't cost $40 - A case that costs half the price of the device is ridiculous. But hey, I fell into the trap and bought it because everything else offered from other companies suck.

Just be aware that the case may not be the color that you want. Possibly thinking of sending this back and just getting the brown because this color is so odd.

4.0 out of 5 stars Minimalist cover for a minimalist Kindle, November 17, 2011
I bought this cover for my K4 ($79 Kindle with SO). I chose it over others because it looked like it would not add too much bulk to the already 'minimalist' design of the K4. Indeed it is about as small a 'hard' cover as I think you could design. So if you prefer the protection of a hard cover and want to keep the overall size as compact as possible this is the one for you.

It does add a bit more weight than I expected but I expect that was due to my becoming used to holding the featherweight 'naked' Kindle. Since adding the case I think the weight actually is beneficial inasmuch as it seems to add substance the K4.

Unlike others I perceive the leather to be just as Amazon says... 'premium' and as the cover is essentially one piece front to back means the hinge is also leather. I cannot see it wearing out over time. Mine hasn't scratched yet but I'm not throwing it in the bottom of a purse, etc. either. And if/when it does get scratched up/stained I just think it adds character. I cannot comment on the other colors. I opted for a safe 'saddle tan' color and it looks just like I expected.

I also do not miss having an elastic strap to keep it closed as some others have noted. Personally I prefer it NOT to have any closure as I think it would just get in the way when opening fully, folding the cover all the way back and holding it in one hand. I guess for those times I need to ensure the cover remains closed I could simply use a rubber band or something.

Finally, for those complaining they cannot get the Kindle out of the cover there were instructions included with the cover of how to do so. Simply 'bend' the bottom right corner slightly away from the Kindle, insert a finger under the Kindle and snap it out. Easy.

While I do like the case, the fit absolutely perfect and get a feel of quality I also think at $40 it is overpriced. Otherwise I would give it a solid 5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Really lovely, November 1, 2011
Overpriced if you want to replace your kindle annually. If you want to use it for a long time, I think this is good value as it really does look lovely and fits the kindle perfectly. Worth it, in my opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ordered Green ---- Not as pictured., November 1, 2011
I don't review many items if I can't add something that is already said. However, while I love the design of this case I think the colors offered are dreadful. The green looks nothing like the product color from amazon, not even close. In fact I will go as far to say it resembles an unflattering term for certain greens starting with a"V" and ending in omit. Split-pea green would be kind. As for everything else, I love that the Kindle simply snaps in place (really do love that) and I'm also thankful it doesn't have a snap or strap as the screen doesn't appear fragile, in fact I'd almost prefer to go case free. Please, if Amazon product developers are reading this offer a pebbled leather design or at the very least an array of pleasing colors. The current crop is not working for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Cover Depending on What You Want, November 10, 2011
Julie (Phoenix, AZ) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent cover depending on the features you are looking for. My wife did not like this one because it did not have a strap to hold it closed; however for me it is perfect. The best features are that the cover is slim, light weight, and fits seamlessly around the Kindle. It fits like a glove! Also, the cover folds back on itself very easily without requiring much pressure to hold it. I hardly notice that there is even a cover present while holding the Kindle. The beauty in this cover is in its simplicity.

Ask yourself the following. Do you prefer straps to keep the cover closed? Do you want a light? Do you want a plush leather case? Do you want extra rugged, durable protection? If so, then this cover is probably not for you.

This is the ideal cover for those that prefer simplicity, who find straps obnoxious, and want the feeling of an invisible cover (although impossible, probably the best option for this).

Don't get upset with the product. Instead, figure out what you want and understand the features you are purchasing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cover, November 1, 2011
Jeffrey A. Higgins (Long Beach, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
Just got mine today. I love this cover. It's just what I needed. Light weight, holds the kindle without hinges or straps to get in the way. I bought this based on the other reviews and glad I did. Plus using my Amazon points I got it cheaper. If u want something simple and uncomplicated this is it.

Rate and Discover Movies