10,877 Reviews
 (8,674)
 (1,495)

1,610 of 1,646 people found the following review helpful
Published 24 months ago by Michael Gallagher

3.0 out of 5 stars Not comfortable to hold. Hard to take Paperwhite out.
I bought this and the Marware Eco-Vue cover. I liked the Marware cover a lot better for the following reasons.

1) This cover isn't as comfortable to hold. The Marware has leather on the inside cover, but this one has something synthetic that's not that comfortable (even made my hand sweat).
2) Because it wasn't as comfortable to hold I wanted to take the...
Published 21 months ago by Amazon Customer

1,610 of 1,646 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality and Styling, Protects Paperwhite Well from Drops, October 9, 2012
This is a very nice and lightweight cover that goes above and beyond what previous versions of Amazon-branded e-Ink Kindle covers have done: it is super-compact, lightweight, and holds the Paperwhite about as snug and secure as you can imagine - they have made this cover so that the Kindle fits into a recessed pocket in the cover for a snug fit that you won't have any fear of falling out (like the Kindle 1), the hinge wearing out over time and your Kindle dangling or falling out (like the Kindle 3 / Kindle Keyboard), or some type of fabric wearing out from use (like the Kindle Fire and the Kindle DX).

What is really neat is there is a sensor in the Paperwhite and the cover that allow the Kindle to know when the cover is closed and automatically puts it into sleep mode to conserve battery power - upon opening the flap to read, the Paperwhite automatically wakes up. I'll bet some of you have tried cocking your head at an angle and put your eye up to it to see when the Kindle hits sleep mode and / or wakes up as you close and open the cover (I did!).

I have used this for a little over a week now and it has been able to withstand the rigors of back and forth in my briefcase, numerous sessions of starting and stopping reading, and, unfortunately dropping it on its side twice - and it protected the Kindle like a champ.

It feels good in your hands and compliments the reading experience with your new Paperwhite. The outer cover is a basic leather that feels good and you can get it in a variety of styles - I got the regular black as my other Kindle readers have different colors and I wanted to be able to recognize it quickly from across the room as "mine" vs. another family members' Kindle.

Please note this holder only fits the Kindle Paperwhite and does not fit any other e-Ink Kindle as the dimensions are different.

As I type this review, the price of this cover in black is $39.99 which is a pretty good deal when you compare it to the pricing of the covers for other models of Kindle. I would highly recommend this one in the color of your choosing - you want to protect your investment, and my two drops already in one week show this was a good protection of that investment.

November 8, 2013 Update: I've been using this for over a year now and it is still holding up, and protecting my Paperwhite despite numerous airports, back and forth in my man bag, and several drops onto concrete.

1,108 of 1,169 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Protect your Paperwhite in style, October 1, 2012
Length:: 0:31 Mins

I am not an Amazon promoter - my Kindle Fire review was a 3 stars - but I've always preferred Amazon's official Kindle covers to 'third parties' when it came to Kindle readers because of their hard to match quality and the way they integrated with the Kindle they were tasked to cover and protect.

This Paperwhite cover is no exception. It's not as technologically sophisticated as the cover for the Kindle 3 (Keyboard) which seamlessly incorporated a pull-out reading light within the cover's body while drawing power from the Kindle itself but the quality is exquisite and it almost literally fits the Paperwhite like a glove.

There's not a lot to say about a 'cover' but here are some of its more notable features, starting with the positives.

- Magnet keeps it closed.
- Some built-in sensor will turn the Kindle on whenever you open the cover (neat).
- Textured surface guarantees a good grip when holding it.
- Flip cover design allows front cover to fold back for one-hand reading (nice).
- Light as a feather. Yes, it does add a little weight to the Paperwhite but only a little.
- With the cover on, the Kindle is significantly smaller, thinner than a paperback and lighter than most.
- Some of the better quality leather I've seen in a 'cover'.

And then, of course, it's the price - not exactly pocket change. Amazon's Kindle covers tend to be expensive but I always felt that it was money well spent for the protection, the added functionality and the stylish design.

And, one more thing. Once your Paperwhite sinks into its cover the two become practically one body which is what this design was intended to accomplish. It is certainly possible to separate them again but it's not quick or easy. This design fits my Kindle-using habits - I never removed the covers off the other Kindles except once on 'day one' just to see that it is possible to do so. If you believe that you are going to take your Kindle in and out of its cover than you should not consider this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars An improvement from the Kindle Touch cover, October 2, 2012
In the past, I have always gone with Amazon covers solely for the reason that I need the built in lights, and lighting options from other companies are terrible. With the Paperwhite's new built-in lighting technology, I'm no longer forced to use Amazon and can finally evaluate their covers solely for design and functionality.

FORM FACTOR
The cover design is very similar to the Amazon Kindle Touch Leather Cover. It is a very tight fit, and can take some getting used to to learn how to remove your kindle from it. Although I originally didn't like the Kindle Touch cover because it was such a tight fit, this shouldn't be a problem if you plan to leave your Paperwhite in the cover all the time. It has an area cut out at the bottom for the power button and ac port. The front of the cover is leather, but this time it has a cross-cut textured pattern in it. It looks fairly stylish, and this is an improvement over the Touch cover, which showed scratches and pits in the leather very easily. All of the covers appear to be fairly true to Amazon's images (I have not seen the saddle tan version yet), although the actual Ink Blue cover is a little bit lighter and more distinguishable as blue than what you see in the image. There is a soft felt back on the front of the cover to shield the display when closed.

USE
The Paperwhite pops in to the rubberized back of the case, which hugs it fairly tightly, so there's no chance of it slipping out. Amazon has added a magnetic clasp to the side to keep the cover closed. This was missing on the Touch cover, but I never really found it to be much of an issue with the cover staying closed. The magnet in the clasp is not very strong at all, but it does seem to do the job. It takes almost no force to open it though. The best part about the clasp, is that opening the cover will turn on the Paperwhite, and closing it will put it to sleep, so you never need to use the physical power button at all. If you are left-handed, the cover actually makes it easier to hold the Kindle since you can open it like a book and use the front cover to support it.

PROS
- Opening/closing the cover turns on/off the paperwhite without having to use the power button.
- Completely protects the Paperwhite. I can't see any real way for it to get damaged when it is on.
- Makes holding the Paperwhite a bit easier.
- Adds color and makes your Paperwhite a bit more stylish.

CONS
- Expensive versus value
- Very tight fit which can make it difficult to remove.
- Adds weight and bulk to the Paperwhite and makes it less "pocketable."

CONCLUSION
Although I purchased a cover for my Paperwhite to try it out, I don't really like how much bigger the covers make my Kindle. The size difference is fairly small, but that little difference changes the Paperwhite from something I can easily fit in my pocket, to something I can "somewhat" easily fit in my pocket. I also don't like that it covers over the rubberized back of the Paperwhite and effectively makes it a little more difficult to grip, since your hand is holding the felt back which has less friction. But mainly, I just don't like the added size. I think the Paperwhite is almost the perfect form factor on its own and the cover takes away a little bit of that. If you are pretty rough with your electronics or you travel a lot with your Kindle, it may be a nice option, but if you're like me and leave yours on the nightstand a lot, I would recommend holding off on purchasing a cover until after you've spent some time with the Paperwhite on its own and can decide if you really need one. Unless you have the Paperwhite 3G, the price of these devices has gotten so low that the cost of the cover and its intended function should be measured against the cost of the device it is protecting. But it's a very nicely-designed cover and it will keep your Paperwhite in mint condition if that is your main goal.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not comfortable to hold. Hard to take Paperwhite out., December 17, 2012

2) Because it wasn't as comfortable to hold I wanted to take the Paperwhite out when I was at home. This was difficult to do and I always felt like I was going to damage the Paperwhite.
3) The "hand strap" on the Marware was surprisingly really nice. I use it almost all the time.
4) I like the elastic strap that holds the Marware open/close better than the magnet on this case. The elastic strap does a better job holding the cover open.
5) The leather on the Marware feels more like premium leather.

What I did like about this case:
1) It's as compact as it could possibly get.
2) Turning it on/off with the magnet is great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beware with "Special Offers", October 3, 2012
First off, the case is great. I doubt there will be a better fitting case on the market.

However, since Amazon is very focused on selling Kindles with Special Offers now, be warned that Amazon's description of this case's ability to automatically wake the Kindle when you open it to jump back into reading is not true if you have a Special Offer Kindle. You must still swipe across an ad to get into the device.

Once I paid the $20 fee to remove the ads from my Kindle, I could finally enjoy this case as it should be enjoyed.

Amazon should update this page to better clarify that their biggest selling point of their case design doesn't work with all Kindle Paperwhites, as I'm sure many people reading this will have the ad-supported model.

5.0 out of 5 stars You should get this cover with the Kindle PW, October 3, 2012
D. Olson (Concord, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I have bought and made cases for my Kindle Keyboard and my iPad. I have spent a lot of money on some iPad cases (Piel Frama leather cases which are very nice!) I am picky on what a case should be and how it should work with a device. I almost didn't buy the Amazon Kindle PW Leather Cover. But the reviews mentioned how it worked like Apple's iPad cover with built in magnets that would turn on and off the Kindle. I thought it sounded nice enough to go ahead and try it. I am glad I did. And I don't think I will need another case for my Kindle than this one. The leather is adequate quality. The leather has a pattern impressed on it. It feels nice, like reading a leather Bible. The Kindle fits snuggly in a plastic tray which is shaped like the back of the Kindle PW. There is no latch or band to hold the case closed or any bands over the front of the Kindle keeping it in place. The case is nice looking; it feels nice; it makes holding the Kindle more like a small paperback book. And the automatic off when the cover closes and automatic on to the lock screen when the cover is opened is a pleasant feature. The soft inside cover will help protect the screen from scratches. The case is not padded as some cases, so it adds very little thickness to the Kindle. It appears that it is well made and will be durable. I bought the Onyx Black Leather case -- it looks real classy.

In the short time I have been using my new Kindle, I can tell that I like the new Kindle PW but I want to use it for a while before I will consider doing a review of it. But I was so impressed by this case, I thought I should write this review right away. Perhaps you are on the fence, deciding whether or not to order the case with your Kindle. I wanted this review out there for your consideration; I want to urge you to go ahead and get the case. I am really glad I did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazon/CafePress Custom Kindle covers, November 26, 2013
EDIT: I've nudged this up from three stars to four. CafePress approached me with a standard "did you receive" email about ten days after the case had arrived, and I sent them product feedback based on both my experience and that of others who had begun to post here & elsewhere. I did not request an exchange as I had no time to deal with returns and the case was good enough even if it wasn't exactly as ordered; I was dealing with a hospitalized family member and replacement wasn't exactly a priority. Out of the blue, a package arrived from them with a new case that now matched what was seen in Amazon's previewer at the time of my order. Obviously, they can't change the texture of the leather (that's on Amazon to do), but everything that was in their control to fix, they did. So five stars to CafePress for excellent printing and customer service; four to the product itself, which simply doesn't lend itself to use with certain images.

Also, a note on durability: I used the first case daily (printed on both sides) for over six weeks and while I didn't abuse it, I also did not put any real effort into babying it; it still looks as new as the day it arrived, with no scratches or scuffs to the printing. At this point, I'm confident that with reasonable care, the printing on the case will last as long as the device itself, unless you do something like tossing it in to the same purse pocket as your keys.

---------

Original review:

I was quite excited to see these create your own Kindle cases for the Fire & Paperwhite models. The reality doesn't quite live up to the hype.

I don't know about the Fire cases--the only one I've seen seemed fairly smooth--but the current Paperwhite case has a very heavy, almost diamond-patterned texture to the leather. The printing, surprisingly, does show on it, even in the deeper crevices of the leather. Given that they were dealing with some very fine lines in the image I used, I'm impressed that the print shows no breaks or gaps from the texture.

That said, the texture will detract from almost anything other than an abstract image, in my opinion. Put a photo of a person on there, and they'll look like they have a skin disease. So your choice of image is going to be critical to whether or not you enjoy the final result, at least specifically on this case. (Another reviewer has compared it to the texture one gets from a printed canvas; this is not correct in my opinion. I have the same image professionally printed on a wrapped canvas, and it has very little texture at all. This leather has a very pebbled texture. Additionally, you rarely view a canvas up close the way you will view this case.)

Next problem: Amazon's previewer, showing you how the image will look on the case, is wrong. I specifically resized the image first to the dimensions they provided--that caused the previewer to crop off at least an inch of image on both top and bottom, and left large gaps to the right and left. I then resized the image again until it fit perfectly according to their viewer, just inside the stitching.

Not so on the printed case. There's about half an inch unprinted all around the image. Add in that I specified "Front only" printing, but they printed both front and back. So I'm not sure you can count on either Amazon's specified image size OR their previewer.

It also smells perfectly awful; very chemical-ly. I expect that will wear off eventually, but it's pretty bad right now.

There is a very very slight tacky/sticky feel where the printing is, but I likely wouldn't have noticed it if it hadn't been mentioned on Kindleboards and on the only review for any of these items that's been posted to Amazon so far.

I'm undecided at this point as to whether or not to pursue a return. It's not exactly what I expected, or even what I ordered, given that it was printed with a large border and both front and back. I really don't much like the texture. But it's the only game in town (for now at least) for this kind of customization.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice case for the money, October 2, 2012
UPDATE 05-Oct-2012: I returned this case to Amazon because I wanted to exchange it for the black case, as the blue was distracting. Love the black case, and this is the permanent home for my PaperWhite.

Got this case overnighted for my new PaperWhite and it arrived the same day as the device. Instantly unwrapped it and installed it.

The case is solid - the PaperWhite, itself, is very solid-feeling all on its own, and probably will not require a case to keep it protected for those of us who are very careful with our electronics. For the other 95%, of which I'm a member, who have an occasional droppage or other malady happen to my devices, I like having the protection.

The case fits very snugly to the PaperWhite and allows room for the charging LED, MicroUSB connector, and power button, even when the case is closed. It fit so snugly that it almost folded in on itself. :) The plastic/rubber portion that holds the device has a welcome matte finish, not too slippery but also not going to snag on things or become a lint magnet.

I got the Ink Blue color, and the color is fine. I wanted something that wasn't plain black, like all the other cases out there.

Thankfully, no more light is needed in the cover, due to the PaperWhite's in-display lighting, so now the case has the added feature of magnetic closure, which also sleeps and wakes the PaperWhite. This is a fantastic feature, and it will likely ensure that I rarely touch the power button on the PaperWhite. However, it does not ensure the cover stays closed, like a flap or elastic band enclosure would. Which is really too bad.

Overall, this is probably one of the best covers you could hope for to protect your PaperWhite. It adds relatively zero size to the device and has the magnetic closure feature. It's easily far superior to the "standard" Amazon case for the Kindle Touch, which has a cheap, flimsy cover with no means of closure at all.

My only two negatives are the lack of a better means of keeping the cover closed and the price. I honestly love 95% of what Amazon does. This is part of the 5% I don't. How can a company justify a cover that costs a third (or roughly a fourth, depending on the model) of what the device costs? $40 for a magnet and some cushioning? Seriously, this case should be $20, tops, but the fact of the matter is that this is probably the best case I've seen as an option, so Amazon knows most people will spend the money. Oh well, I figure I get the $20 difference back in Prime anyways, and besides, at least $40 is cheaper than the outrageous $60 for the Kindle Keyboard lighted case!

Definitely recommend this case, even though it costs quite a bit for what you get.

4.0 out of 5 stars Darn near perfect case for the Paperwhite., October 4, 2012
This review will be (mostly) short, since most of the points have been covered very well by others.

What I will say is that I'm a previous Kindle Keyboard and Kindle Touch owner, and used the Amazon-manufactured lighted cases for both devices. Granted, those cases had to be larger and bulkier due to the built-in lighting solutions, but so far the overall quality of the case itself is higher than I expected. The new case is very form-fitting, adding minimal bulk to the already slim Paperwhite. The magnetic clasp works well, though the attraction is fairly weak and won't do much to secure the cover in a high-impact situation...but after a few drop tests on my mattress (like I'm going to drop this on the floor? Please.) the latch has completely failed to open. Not bad for casual use.

The Paperwhite fits very well inside the case, with wiggle room being nearly non-existent. You can remove the device with minimal difficulty, though this is not a case that's designed to have the Paperwhite removed constantly. Once the reader is in the case, that's where it should be. If you're looking for something you can casually pop the Paperwhite out of on a regular basis, you may want to consider another case or just a pouch to pop it in.

A note to those who have a problem with how the Paperwhite wakes up when this case opens: From what I understand, if you have the non-Special Offers version, it will wake up (assuming you have no lock enabled) right where you left off when it went to sleep. If, however, you have the Special Offers model like I do, it will leave the ad on the screen, inviting you to swipe to use the Kindle. This is by design. It might seem cumbersome or annoying, but hey...you saved the twenty bucks, and Amazon isn't going to let you skip the ads! So if this is a dealbreaker for you, either a) Buy the version without Special Offers or b) pony up the $20 post-purchase and get the ads removed from your device.

Oh, and for the record, I bought the Saddle Tan version. Originally wanted the Ink Blue, but sadly it was out of stock till the 25th of October. This color is very nice, a pleasant tan color. I've had nothing but black Kindle cases in the past, and the variance in color is a nice change of pace.

So, yeah. Good case, buy one unless one of the things I mentioned previously is a dealbreaker for you. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect case for the Kindpe Paperwhite, October 1, 2012
Going from the Kindle Keyboard to the Paperwhite, my main concern was the case. I had ordered the leather Amazon case to go with my old Kindle, and it was amazing to me. So, Amazon had a tall order: impress me with the new leather cover.

Fortunately for Amazon, this new leather cover is awesome. They've taken a play out of Apple's playbook and it functions like the iPad smart cover: When you close the case, the Kindle goes to sleep. That's awesome. The Paperwhite also fits quite snug in the case, so despite not being clamped down or held down with straps, you don't have to worry about it coming loose.

The quality of the leather feels quite nice, just like my old Kindle Keyboard cover. It gives the Kindle not only protection but it makes you feel like you do have a hardback book in your hand. .

If you're looking for a first rate cover for your Paperwhite, you can't go wrong with the official Amazon cover.