3,182 Reviews
 (2,116)

1,433 of 1,510 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Case With A Few Flaws
So I've had over a week now to spend some time with both my Kindle Fire HD 8.9" and this particular leather case and I have to say, I honestly do not understand why it received so many negative reviews. However, that's not to say that this case doesn't have some issues (some more obvious than others).

Durability (5/5): You know, part of me wanted to make a...
Published 24 months ago by Rick Mallory Jr.

3.0 out of 5 stars not well pleased
Published 24 months ago by Ronald W. Price

1,433 of 1,510 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Case With A Few Flaws, November 28, 2012
Rick Mallory Jr. (Colonial Heights, Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9" Standing Leather Case, Onyx Black (will not fit HDX models) (Accessory)

Durability (5/5): You know, part of me wanted to make a video review showing me hurling this case straight down onto pavement. Could I do it? Sure! Do I think the Kindle would hold up if it were inside the case while I conducted this experiment? Yes. The reason why I didn't though is because I can only imagine how many people would cringe at the idea of looking at such a scene. Plus, while I am confident in the strength of the case, I'd rather be safe than sorry in this particular matter. Still, it does feel quite sturdy and I suppose the reason why people say (in other reviews) that it "feels cheap" is probably because it is so thin (which in my opinion is a good thing). If you're gonna spend this kind of money on a tablet AND get a bulky case for it, then why not just get a laptop at the same cost?

Weight (5/5): One thing that this case has going for it, is that it doesn't add too much weight to the Fire HD. As far as I'm concerned, it's at just the right weight for me to hold up with one hand (or at the very least two hands) for a decent amount of time. So overall, weight is not an issue here and this is a good thing!

Stand: (5/5): I've just recently had new hard wood floor installed in my house and so I was eager too test out the stand on different surfaces. I tried plastic surfaces, slick hard wood surfaces, suede surfaces, a memory foam mattress, and my own belly (just to name a few). I've yet to have an issue with the case sliding or toppling out of place. So I'm a bit confused at some of the reviews that state the stand "doesn't work." Maybe I got a lucky unit, but as far as I've gathered, it does it's job for me.

Design (4/5): Alright, I like the way it looks, it fits very well and is very slim (as I stated earlier), however it does have one flaw (that may not pertain to some of you). I happen to have a cat, so sometimes stray hairs can hover or linger in the air here and there. What does this have to do with anything? Well when you open up the case, the interior is made of some sort of material that tends to "cling" to hairs. This would be alright except for the fact that when you close the case, this material touches the screen. So the next time you open it, you may be welcomed with a hair or a crumb, or something of that nature. Just a simple wiping would do, but it's just something to point out (as I haven't seen any other reviews make note of this). Aside from that, everything is fine. I love how when the cases closes it's magnetic and automatically turns the Fire HD off when closed and on when opened. The only other issue I should discuss is that (and others have already pointed this out) when plugged in, the case is designed so that the cord comes out on the bottom. So if you're using the stand feature, it can get kinda weird, however I've actually noticed that this doesn't necessarily put a damper on the sturdiness of the case, in fact sometimes it adds extra balance. Overall, the design is very convenient.

Price: 3/5): This to me is the biggest flaw. I truly believe they could have faltered or lowered the price a bit for this product and maybe someday they will, however at the time of my purchase (and of this review) the asking price is a little steep. Do I think they could have sold this cheaper? Yes? Am I upset that I paid this much for it? No. After having spent some time with it, I am not enduring a feeling of "ugh...I wish I hadn't spent so much on this piece of crap." I'm pleased with the product and it does what it says and for that, it's worth the price, yet I wouldn't complain (and I'm sure neither would any of you) if they took it down a notch.

Overall (22/25)

I could have easily given this 5 stars instead of 4, however it's not necessarily a perfect product. Would I recommend it to Fire HD users though? Yes I would. The slimness and good fit alone are enough appeal for this product (as it sure beats some of the bulkier cases out there). I certainly hope that my review may help give you some insight, and if you have any questions, feel free to comment! Thank you for your time! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Thinnest case I have seen, with some cons, December 27, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
OK, I could have given this case 3 stars for some of the cons. I did not because of the way Amazon markets the case on their site probably clarifies what you are buying. The key here is THINNESS! And many people love a thin LIGHT case. Amazon designed this case to be the thinnest, and Amazon may very well have achieved that. I think this is a good thing. So good, that I have given this case 5 stars. Just know, you are buying thin.

5 stars for thin and protective case... about half an inch with the FireHD 8.9. (hard to measure, I need calipers!). I will tell you why I think some of the one star ratings are given...and they fall in two areas: One, the case looks cheap when you see the lower half inside. Two, the case can not be propped at a low angle to one's desk and still type well on it. We will look at both of these items... there are, I am sure, other reasons for low rankings, some due to perceptions of "a good case."

First, everyone has (perhaps) their own perceptions of what a good case is: My brother has a big Otterbox case (sturdy, shock resistant case) on his thin cell phone. I do not... I have a thin, easy to grip case. Why? Is it because I don't want my phone (and tablet) protected? Sure I do. But I am an adult, and I know how to take care of things. The case is there, just in case. :) But, I don't need to protect it to the level of an OtterBox case, in my view. So that is my preference. If this is not your preference, you are going to hate this thin, beautiful case.

Amazon advertises thin, and they deliver thin. And I agree with those who think if they wanted a one inch thick case around their tablet, they would have a netbook or similar, not a tablet (since tablets should be thin and light). But... but... but... (you may object)...

Yes, I know. This case doesn't look like a 50 bucks+ case. In fact, many have said it is not even leather. I don't know for certainty, but I don't doubt that it is leather. But let me describe the construction and you will see. And why does the bottom half look like it is just plastic!? Read on.

The case is a very light plastic shell... and this very thin shell can be seen on the inside of the lower half, so the perception is cheapness. But, the question should be, what is the purpose of this case and what is being accomplished by this plastic? In short, it is providing needed protection and absorbtion for drops around every square inch of the tablet... notice the complete wrap around, form-fitting shape on the bottom half. Look closely at the bottom half, which has been structured to fit the Fire HD 8.9 like a glove, with perfectly cut openings and stylish design), on the outside of this casing is a wrap around leather covering. Once your tablet is in this case, you never see the plastic, as it is holding your Fire HD 8.9. Then, on top of the shell is a thin, very thin, leather covering that looks like it has been steam fit and glued on top of the plastic. Then a black thread has sewn the edges down so I doubt it would ever come loose. By necessity then, the leather is not soft to the touch, since it is attached to a plastic shell. But, it is very likely leather and the reason some think it is all plastic is because of the shell material.

The sizing to the actual Kindle Fire HD is what is so amazing. The bottom of the plastic case just snaps over the bottom of the Fire and then the top lays on the glass of the tablet. Magnets (with Auto Wake and Sleep) keep the case shut (though it might not be good enough to stay shut in a fall).

THIN AND LIGHT?
Now, I purchased a Moko Case from Amazon too. It was thin, as was my preference. My Moko Case is about 5/8 of an inch with tablet). This case is 1/2 inch, plus maybe a tad more than half an inch. But, clearly, this case is thinnest of any case that I have seen.

Is it lightest? IT IS NOT. My Moco case is lighter, even though it is tad thicker. Why? This Amazon case wraps completely around the entire tablet (it doesn't leave any edges exposed. My Moco case does. Still, the slightly thicker padding on the Moco probably provides a bit more protection... but who knows... I am not going to drop test. :) Suffice it to say they are both thin and light weight. One a tad more than the other in each area.

THE STAND:
The stand on this case has been where many people have commented. Here is my take.
First, the stand does work well. It may not be the best if you like to type on your tablet in a standing mode (as finger pressure would certainly knock the stand over on some surfaces).

Remember thin? Well, one thing that makes many cases thicker is the stand mechanism. Make the stand (or base) too thick and it adds bulk. Make it too thin and it just doesn't stay up. So, this was the design challenge. Amazon went with a LACK OF A BASE for their stand.... as well as a lack of a Kick-0ut stand mechanism. How does it work? Simple, just fold it over and let the case form a A shape that supports the tablet to stand. Oh, I can hear it now. "That won't work reliably!" Well, what they did is make the outer edge side out of a sticky, rubbery material, so that when you prop it opens, it holds quite nicely. This saves them a lot of weight and thickness. Some don't like it... but I imagine it is people that want to type on the tablet with it propped up in standing position. I think that if the feet are kept fairly clean, they will grab onto any descent surface and hold the tablet upright... and at about any angle that you want.

I like this case. I like the design. I like the thinness. The jury still out on the stand (over time) and the magnetic closure (during a potential fall). I can't do less than five stars, because it does everything it states. Yes, I like my Moco case a bit better, but I bet this case will still be going strong long after my Moco case needs to be replaced. And now I have a wonderful replacement.

JJ
I will update this review over time.

Update: One con is the interior material of the case (the part that hits the screen)...it is not super-soft Micro-fiber cloth, rather a thin cloth that doesn't scratch the screen. A Microfber cloth interior might help keep the screen cleaner, but it would have added thickness. I have seen one reviewer say that cat hairs stick to it. I have not had that problem, and we do have a cat.

Update: Price vs. Quality. Boy, I really wanted to stay out of this discussion. Everyone has their own comfort level with price, so I just try to review the product. But yes, if you are looking at cases in the sub-20 market, this case is pricey in comparison. But, I doubt that anyone who wanted the features of this case, would then think the given price was too much to pay. Key features again?
Protective covering that covers the entire tablet
Connects to the tablet all the way around, so it isn't going to pop out.
Very thin (the thinnest?) and exceedingly light
Extremely easy to open, use, get access to all ports... and even easy to remove, if needed... all while being thin and attractive
Love the wonderful design for the volume rocker and power button. Nice design makes these a breeze to use (unlike my cell phone case).
Leather coating (though not soft) seems durable and easy to grip.
Speaker vents are perhaps the best I have seen on any case... it doesn't limit sound.
Stand is simple and quick to use, because it uses a rubbery material that simply clings to most (but not all) material (I have tried on wood and formica top desks, table cloth, papers on top of a desk (not as good, but works), glass top tables, and wood and ceramic floors). The only time this failed was when I had it on the side of some rubbermaid containers... slipped on that slicker, dustier surface). You can get a nearly straight up position fairly readily, the only real issue is with a low angle such some people like for typing on a tablet. If the surface isn't ideal, the tablet will simply slip down to the table (flat), when you try to type. The benefit is that you have just about every other angle (degree) that you might want to have. That is great if your trying to avoid a glare on the screen, for instance.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the one, December 18, 2012
K.M. (Monument, CO) - See all my reviews
So I have ordered 8.9" Kindle Fire HDs for my wife and I, and thus far have ordered one case...the Amazon brand fuchsia case for my wife. I know she'll like this case as she reads a lot and it is very light weight. As for the second case (my tablet), I have spent a ton of time researching other brands and I visited Best Buy and tried 5 different cases in my hand--but I keep coming back to the Amazon case.

The main reasons I like it after snapping the Kindle Fire HD 8.9" were:
- The tablet fit was very secure. It took 15-20 seconds to make sure it was in there but after it was snapped in, it was not coming out
- Slim fit and light. This was big for me. I tried out some Marware cases at Best Buy but they were too bulky for my tastes. They had a lot more features, so if you want those great. I appreciate the fact that new tablets these days are slim and light and don't need to make my new Kindle Fire HD as bulky as my 1st gen iPad.
- Classic look. I just like the way it looks. Some of the discount fake leather covers look a little like those cheap cell phone covers you'd see a mall vendor selling 5+ years ago. Maybe those covers will do the job, but I plan on using my Kindle Fire 8.9" a lot and might as well like the way it looks.
- Stand worked fine in landscape view sitting on bed and on bedstand.

The high cost has been widely discussed in other reviews and I agree the case is more expensive than I would typically like to pay. One option is to buy your cover "Used" from Amazon Warehouse. That is where I bought the fuchsia cover for my wife and I got it for around $35 and I did not see one imperfection on the cover....it just did not come in its original box (packaged in a ziploc bag inside of the shipping box).

So, bottomline I am going to keep the fuchsia case for my wife (unless she doesn't like it on Christmas!) and buy either an ink blue or black case for myself.

**One final note, I don't plan on sharing my tablet with my young kids, but if I did I would probably go for something heavier and more robust like the Otterbox case.

4.0 out of 5 stars Adjusting the stand slightly causes it to fall flat., November 16, 2012
UPDATED November 25, 2012
I decided to keep this case because I just don't think any other case could be as perfect as this one, save for the slip sliding away that it does on my tables and desks if I try to angle it only a little bit. The plastic/rubber strip on my case feels more like plastic than rubber so I'm thinking about cutting a very thin strip of that non-slip grip stuff in black and just using that when on a table top. The Fire fits so beautifully in this case and is so light and great looking that I can't bear to give it up. I upped the review to four stars because it's so elegant.

------------------
Original Review Below

This is a very attractive case for the 8.9 Kindle Fire. When the Fire is inside it truly looks beautiful in there and there's an elegance to it when closed. It's very thin and lightweight and could have been perfect. I think it's overpriced for what it is but the attractiveness of it I suppose can justify the high price tag.

Once I put the device in there, I was sold. But then I tried to use it as intended: as a stand. There is a rubberized strip that is supposed to provide traction in order to keep the case from collapsing from the tent shape when standing up. Since it is a gummy rubber, there should be some traction there to enable some leeway in the angle. Of course, you can't have an extreme angle because the weight of the device won't support that but there should be at least some flexibility in the viewing angle.

The problem is, the rubber is not soft enough to provide traction. There is little to no traction on the one I received. Perhaps it is a defect but I just don't know. I put the case in triangle mode to stand on my desk and the screen was at too straight an angle because my eyes were above the device. I adjusted it slightly by opening the stand a little more and immediately the rubberized strip slipped across the desk and the case collapsed flat down.

There is very little adjustability to the stand that I received. I will wait for more reviews to see if I just got a bum unit. I gave it three stars because the Kindle looks and fits beautifully but if we are truly stuck with essentially one viewing angle, then the case has much less functionality than I expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Kindle Case Ever!, November 20, 2012
I am also surprised by some of the reviews. This is a beautiful case, designed to a tee to fit this kindle fire, and also to make it convenient to the user. I have not had a problem with the stand. I tried it on a TV table, and it was fine. Also tried it on the arm of my recliner chair, and no problem there either. Anyway, for those having problems with it, I hope you exchange it for one that does work. Or that you find another case that is more suited to your needs and liking. Still, as far as my needs and liking are concerned, I praise the designers who designed this case, because it is absolutely beautiful, elegant, and smartly and efficiently designed! Well worth the pricey price tag!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon is getting better at covers., November 17, 2012
mbw (Rockville, MD USA) - See all my reviews
There are no metal clips, (that can crack the case), rather a firm rubberized rim virtually all the way around the Fire HD, (FHD). The FHD essentially 'snaps' into the cover like a tupperware bowl into its lid. All ports and speaker slots line up perfectly. The on/off button and volume rocker switch are 'duplicated' in the case that press on the FHD switches. This arrangement provides only fair tactile feedback. The lining on the screen 'lid' is not overly fuzzy but soft. When closed, the FHD goes into standby. The lid lies perfectly flat and stays shut magnetically. It even has a cut-out on the rim that corresponds to the rubberized lip on the lid for easy opening.

Additionally, the lip on the lid, about 5 inches long, doubles as one of the high friction rubber edges that supports the FHD while in stand mode. The entire edge of the shell is also of the same rubbery high friction material. I've not had problems with the cover sliding apart while in stand mode...I'm typing this with two fingers on the FHD keyboard with the cover open at about 50 degrees placed on my Corian breakfast bar and am not experiencing any failure. Seems to work well on tablecloths too.

The icing on the cake is the real leather exterior! Soft and pebble textured, it finally feels and smells like leather this time rather than like some synthetically manufactured material called leather. Leather being what it is, I can imagine there will be some variation in the 'feel' of the surface material

It is Expensive yes. but I think it fits and feels much better than covers in previous attempts on older Kindles.

3.0 out of 5 stars not well pleased, November 27, 2012
I just recieved the leather case for the Kindle 8.9 today. To say the least I am not very satisfied with the quality of the product. It is advertised to be a leather case, the case seems to be mostly plastic with a thin layer of (leather?) sewed to the front of it. The back is completely plastic. I will keep the case though, since it is made for the Kindle 8.9, but I think the product description is misleading to say the least. $25 for the case not $54 would be a better deal for sure. To sum it up if you are looking for a case to fit your Kindle 8.9 perfectly this is your item. If you want better quality look for something else.

3.0 out of 5 stars maybe 2.5 stars - some flaws, November 20, 2012
dd9000 (Berkeley, Ca USA) - See all my reviews
Well, I don't believe in using tablets bare, so I ordered this case at the same time I ordered the 8.9" Fire HD.

Note: I have a rooCase for my original Fire and have, during the past year, become quite fond of it. It protects the Fire well, and it is amazingly flexible. It does look and feel a bit on the cheap side, but after all these months, that seems to be extreme nitpicking.

Amazon's cover is very easy to use, although you do need to be a bit careful about inserting the Fire HD so that you can press down on each of the four corners to get a tight, right fit.

The cover isn't rich-looking but it isn't cheap-looking either.

The problems:
1. It automatically shuts the Fire down when you close it. Now, I have gotten into the habit of listening to the radio or podcasts on my original Fire while going to sleep. I close the cover and listen (with the help of an external volume control - which is one reason I was looking forward to the Fire HD:an external volume control). This is not possible with Amazon's cover. You have to leave the cover open. Why is this a problem? Well, even if you take great care re placement of the tablet, it is possible that it might fall down on the floor and, if that happens, I think the device would fare better with the cover protecting the display than without the cover protecting the display.

2. Tether and stylus.
My rooCase has a little hole through which I have slipped a tether connected to a stylus which clips on to the rooCase for my original Fire. This works wonderfully in that I never have to hunt around for the stylus when I am not using it. I just tug on the tether and it will come to me no matter where I am.

There is no such access hole in Amazon's cover. It may be possible to punch one in, but I am not willing to try that. Yes, I can clip a stylus onto the cover, but that's not the issue. What happens when you are finished using the stylus is. Well, you can go to the trouble of clipping it back on the cover or, if you are lazy like me, you'll just set the stylus down and then spend precious seconds trying to locate it the next time you need it.

Now, you might argue that a stylus isn't necessary on a large screen and that is certainly true in some circumstances, but not in all. Which in a way is even worse. If you need the stylus only once in a while, you are even more likely to misplace it if you don't clip it back on.

3. The stand
Amazon chose to put the USB connector on the long side of the Fire HD. And, as far as I can tell, there is no way to position the stand in landscape mode so that you can, say, watch a video, while the Fire is recharging. This is possible on the original Fire because the USB connector is on the top (well, bottom if your standard Fire position is not upside-down) so on the original, in my rooCase, it is easy to charge and watch a video in landscape mode.

4. It costs $55.

I feel about the cover pretty much the way I feel about the HD. Very ambivalent. The cover is both lightweight and sturdy. It is reasonably attractive. (I have the black). It seems to protect the Fire quite well, But then there are points 1 - 4.

If these points matter to you, then my 2.5 star rating will make sense. If they are not important to you, then you will probably be happy with the case.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Case!!! I rate it a 4.5, November 21, 2012
Just received my case today and I love it already! I ordered the pink (Fuchsia) case and it literally fits like a glove. It's light, slim,sturdy, well made, the stitching is precise, along with a nice combination of leather and rubber. I like how its not bulky, how the magnetic cover shuts on and off my Kindle,the buttons on the side and the perfect cut outs for the speakers. Unlike some reviews, you actually get what you see on the product images. I truthfully did not give it 5 stars simply because I think it's a bit over-priced. Other than that,there is no other cover that is as slick and will fit the Kindle like this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Big Disappointment, November 22, 2012
PROS..unit turns on and off correctly with cover..a nice feature
CONS..very thin and feels cheaply made. For 55 bucks I feel violated It looks and feels like fake leather over plastic.
(At least I think it is leather) There is absolutely no padding so it becomes very uncomfortable to hold in short order. Surface is slippery which adds to this problem
Will not remain standing in the open landscape position as it slowly slips and lands flat on your desk or table. Also charger cannot remain attached while trying to use unit in this position.
I am a strong Amazon customer and not a big complainer...but I had to take the time to tell prospective buyers...think twice on this one