1,103 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it!
So in reading the reviews before I got this cover I was quite worried... lots of people reported it feeling cheap, flimsy, overpriced etc. I was so concerned in fact I tried to cancel my order. I'm glad I wasn't able to.

Published on November 28, 2011 by Nicros

3.0 out of 5 stars Very light, but looks a little plasticky
The Touch cover from Amazon has some good and some bad properties.

On the good side, it's very light: at 4 oz it is noticeably lighter than the previous generation of covers. My Kindle Touch fits in very snugly with no wasted space.

Published on November 14, 2011 by Graham

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it!, November 28, 2011
Nicros (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazon Kindle Touch Leather Cover, Black (does not fit Kindle Paperwhite) (Accessory)

It is perhaps not what people expect- the leather is not soft, but is rather pressed and almost polished. However, this cover does NOT feel cheap to me. It is stylish, super light, and fits the kindle without those annoying elastic loops or hooks on the corners. It fits within a rubberized groove on the cover, which not only gives it a very tight and secure fit, it also adds protection to the corners of the device and cover. It also feels quite secure in the hand.

So, to sum up: Light, secure, well made and unobtrusive. The $40 price tag could be debated, but I actually don't find it to be overpriced. I'm quite happy with it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Very light, but looks a little plasticky, November 14, 2011
Graham (Palo Alto, CA) - See all my reviews
The Touch cover from Amazon has some good and some bad properties.

On the negative side, it looks and feels rather plasticky. I ordered the plain black version and the front and back outer covers are a shiny black leather. At first I thought the back exterior was simply black plastic, and it took a close examination to realize it is the same leather as the front cover. The front inner cover is a soft felt. The inner body where the Kindle sits is plastic. There is no fastener or band to hold the cover closed.

This is my fourth Kindle and cover. The Touch cover looks much more like a "gadget" cover than the earlier ones. It looks rather like an old Palm PDA cover I had, or like some ipod covers. The previous Kindle covers had a textured leather appearance and they looked more like book or notebook covers.

Right now I am having rather mixed reactions. I definitely like the fact that it adds so little weight to the Kindle. However it does look rather cheap. For $40 I was expecting a little more.

I think I am going to have to use this for a while before reaching a final conclusion.

Update November 29th: Tastes will vary, but in the end I decided that this was not the right look or feel for me and I have switched to a different cover (the Splash SAFARI). That is similar to the old Kindle 3 cover, with a textured leather appearance and an elastic fastener strap.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slick, November 16, 2011
Jason M O'Brien "justjason" (Portland, OR, United States) - See all my reviews
Overall it's a nice looking cover and does it's job well. It's simple, elegant and slick. When I say slick, I don't necessarily mean cleverly devised, I mean slippery. The smooth leather provides next to no grip on the cover. I have a tendency to hold things lightly, so I can just imagine this repeatedly slipping out of my hand. Sure it doesn't have a band/clasp/etc to keep it closed, but neither did Kindle 2's cover, and neither does nearly every book ever published.

It's too expensive. I don't understand why Amazon is charging so much considering they'll be offering another cover with additional functionality for half the price (AmazonBasics Leather Folio Cover with Multi-Angle Adjustable Stand for Kindle Touch, Kindle (Black)). What the heck?

Pros:
Pretty
Functional

Cons:
Slippery
Expensive

2.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, but way overpriced, November 18, 2011
K. English (United States) - See all my reviews
I don't want to get too negative on this, because it does what it's supposed to. However, I'm not sure how Amazon justifies charging $40! Half that and I'd feel a lot less disappointed. It's nothing like the last generation cover, which was hefty and substantial. That thing could take a beating! This one? Umm...not so much.

PROS:

- I really like the solution Amazon came up with to lock the Kindle in place; sort of a rubberized cup that grips it on all four sides and holds it VERY securely. No more metal-prong slide-release gizmo.
- It looks quite nice and is genuine (if untextured) leather like the last one.

CONS:

- Flimsy. The leather is extremely thin and unpadded. Won't stand up to much abuse. scrape it even lightly on a rough surface and you'll likely ruin it.
- The actual cover that folds over the front is incredibly floppy and delicate -- it's about the thickness of a piece of notepad cardboard. I could bend it in half with almost no effort, if I had the notion.
- Cover has no lock/closure mechanism (like the elastic strap on the last gen model). It should have SOMETHING.

Oh, well. It is what it is. I never read with the Kindle in the case anyway so it's not such a big deal to me, but I was expecting more. Especially for this price!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm stunned by negative reviews here., November 18, 2011
I bought one of the first Macs in the 80s. I've had 'too many to count since then.' I am an early adopter, by nature. This has been true of Amazon's Kindle product as well having owned the First Generation Kindle, K2, K3 and now the K Touch. Love the reader. And I love this case as well. I hear all of these complaints that this leather case looks cheap or doesn't have a closure, or it's too slippery. PLEASE. I find it to be a PERFECT fit for the Kindle Touch. The unit snaps in a la DoDo Case -- which is such a great product for iPad. Very similar design only on a much smaller scale, obviously. The leather is not an issue for me. I do NOT find it to be too slippery at all unless, perhaps, your hands are covered in oil This is a first class cover for a first class e-reader. And NO. I do not work for Amazon. I'm just a HUGE Kindle fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Has its selling points and its deal busters, but still good, November 29, 2011
Okay, so I have been debating for days on whether to rate this thing 3 or 4 stars, and I still want to rate it 3 and a half, but I have settled for 4 stars. Here is why.

PROS
The only real reason I wanted this case over the others is because every other case holds the Kindle in with straps around the edges, and this is the only case that holds the Kindle in while letting you see the whole front side. It holds it in perfectly, neither feeling loose or too tight to get it out. The black leather is genuine leather and smells nice, and while the front cover is very thin (if you tap on it you get a hollow drum sound, and it can be bent without much effort) it takes mild amounts of abuse without a problem. Also, the flap folds back perfectly and when you are reading, you hardly notice the Kindle has a case on.

CONS
My main complaint is the quality of the leather. If you compare this to the case for the Kindle 3 (keyboard) the leather is a little thinner but much less durable. I sometimes lightly hold my Kindle between my teeth when I run out of hands, and after a week I can still see my tooth marks (whereas on the K3 case I couldn't). Also, even a mild scratch will either take several days to disappear. UPDATE: Most scratches will mostly disappear so its not as big a problem as I originally thought.

The only other complaint is of course the lack of anything to hold the cover closed, but this has actually not been much of a problem for me. Quite often I like to frisbee toss my Kindle onto a nearby soft surface (like carpet or a pillow or bed) and I was afraid the cover would flap open every time, but 10 times out of the 11 I tried it stayed shut just fine. Even though the lack of a device to hold the case closed shouldn't cause you any problems, it would have been nice of Amazon to throw in a magnet or something, just for security.

Just to address the issue people bring up of this case being slippery, I thought the exact same thing when I bought it but this is just an effect of how new it is. It will wear off after a day or two and you will be able to grip it just fine. Promise.

OVERALL
My overall opinion of this case can be summed up by the word "overpriced". I think it is a pretty good quality case but the price tag is still a little too much. As long as you won't be throwing your Kindle in your backpack with a pair of scissors and several sharp pencils and pens, this case should provide good enough protection. If you disklike the straps going across the corners as I do, this is definitely the case for you. In my opinion, if it holds up for a few years, this case will have been worth the extra $$$.

UPDATE: I just wanted to update real quick to compliment the case. While it still scratches rather easily it recovers very well too. Just yesterday I set the case on a table covered in food crumbs and wood shavings and it scratched the heck out of the front cover, but a few hours later I couldn't tell it was ever scratched. It may scratch easily, but the scratches disappear quickly and it looks almost brand new.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, November 17, 2011
Feels like a cheap piece of plastic instead of a leather cover. I paid $35 for this? Should have been more like $15.

I think one area Amazon screwed up in their redesign of the Kindle is that they took away the slots on the side where covers used to snap into the Kindle. With those your Kindle was securely attached to the cover. The previous generation's leather cover was also much higher quality. It had some weight to it and felt like an old, leather bound book. It also had just a bit of padding to it which I hope would help if I ever dropped it. This new cover seems like the leather is just glued to the plastic so if you drop it almost all of the impact will be transferred to the Kindle.

I chose this cover because the new Kindle would just snap in instead of being held in by its corners. But if I had it to do over again I'd get Acase's cover (which IS only $15) or one by Marware which looks like it has that old-school leather feel to it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, Amazon!, November 19, 2011
I bought this case for my new Kindle Touch because the lighted cover is unavailable. I have a clip-on LED light that I use when I read in bed, but this is a very awkward setup compared to my Kindle Keyboard with lighted case. Nevertheless, I figured this would get me by till the lighted cover becomes available. So the low rating is *not* due to lack of a light on this case.

The cover is supposedly leather, but the leather is so thin, smooth and slippery, it might as well be plastic or some other faux leather material. It looks and feels very cheap and wants to slip out of my hands. The front cover feels like very thin cardboard covered with faux leather on the outside and very, very thin microfiber on the inside. Amazon intended users to be able to fold this case back while reading, so I understand why the "spine" needs to be thin. But the front cover is so, so thin, it doesn't provide much if any protection for the Kindle itself. IMNSHO, the front cover should be thick enough to provide some protection, and it also needs an elastic strap like the K3 case.

What I *do* like about this case is how the KT snaps into place and fits very snugly. I like to lie on my back reading in bed, and (without a case) the KT turns itself off if I even slightly bump the power button against my chest. This case provides just enough of a lip around the bottom edge of the KT, that I'm no longer accidentally powering off the device simply by taking a deep breath! (Because the K3 has a sliding power switch, accidental power-offs have never been a problem for me.)

I am big fan of Amazon, and I've owned every Kindle since the original. Each one was a big improvement over the prior version. The Kindle Touch might be too, but without a more substantial, better designed case (with a light!), the KT is a big step down from my Kindle 3 (Keyboard).

Sadly, I expect to be returning both the Kindle Touch and this case. BTW, I bought the saddle tan color, and it's the ugliest saddle tan I've ever seen. IMNSHO, it looks like baby poo.

Sorry, Amazon, I love you and your products, but you missed the mark on this one! This flimsy case is way overpriced, too.

4.0 out of 5 stars What I was looking for, December 7, 2011
If you are expecting an elegant leather cover such as my wife has with her Kindle Keyboard (with built-in light) then you'll be disappointed. But I didn't want that - her cover added a bit much weight and bulk for my liking, and I preferred to take her kindle out of the case if I was planning to use it for any length of time (when she wasn't looking - she was worried I'd bend or break a clip).

This case suits me fine. It's smart looking and adds relatively little to the weight and dimensions. The kindle touch fits very securely without straps or clips, and the cover provides that extra protection for being carried around in my laptop bag or the leg pockets of my cargo pants. I like that the front cover allows a traditional two-handed reading position, or, folding it all the way around, a convenient one-handed configuration. I've had no need to take it out of cover (and it's not really designed for a lot of "in and out" of that sort).

Price didn't bother me because it was a gift :-). A discrete fastener for the front cover might have been nice, but I haven't seen this as a problem as yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, minimal, like a book cover, December 9, 2011
Quite simply, this cover is designed to have the least possible impact on the size and form of the Kindle Touch. It has taken all its design inspiration from the cover of a book. It protects to the extent that a book needs to be protected and then gets out of your way so you can read. It accents and respects the rounded corners of the Kindle and has a smooth seamless feel. If you are looking for a strap to hold it closed like your childhood diary had sorry, you'll have to wait for the aftermarket covers. Those covers will also offer those nice bungee cords in the corners holding your Kindle in and will add a pocket or two for your stuff. If you are looking for a fine tooled leather product, you should wait for the Coach version. This is a consumer product that will be replaced in a few years by a newer and better Kindle. I flip it open ten times a day and marvel at its simplicity every time.