Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Now STEM Toys & Games

Showing 1-10 of 58 reviews(2 star)show all reviews
on November 18, 2011
I don't want to get too negative on this, because it does what it's supposed to. However, I'm not sure how Amazon justifies charging $40! Half that and I'd feel a lot less disappointed. It's nothing like the last generation cover, which was hefty and substantial. That thing could take a beating! This one? Umm...not so much.

PROS:

- I really like the solution Amazon came up with to lock the Kindle in place; sort of a rubberized cup that grips it on all four sides and holds it VERY securely. No more metal-prong slide-release gizmo.
- It looks quite nice and is genuine (if untextured) leather like the last one.

CONS:

- Flimsy. The leather is extremely thin and unpadded. Won't stand up to much abuse. scrape it even lightly on a rough surface and you'll likely ruin it.
- The actual cover that folds over the front is incredibly floppy and delicate -- it's about the thickness of a piece of notepad cardboard. I could bend it in half with almost no effort, if I had the notion.
- Cover has no lock/closure mechanism (like the elastic strap on the last gen model). It should have SOMETHING.

Oh, well. It is what it is. I never read with the Kindle in the case anyway so it's not such a big deal to me, but I was expecting more. Especially for this price!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 19, 2011
I bought this case for my new Kindle Touch because the lighted cover is unavailable. I have a clip-on LED light that I use when I read in bed, but this is a very awkward setup compared to my Kindle Keyboard with lighted case. Nevertheless, I figured this would get me by till the lighted cover becomes available. So the low rating is *not* due to lack of a light on this case.

The cover is supposedly leather, but the leather is so thin, smooth and slippery, it might as well be plastic or some other faux leather material. It looks and feels very cheap and wants to slip out of my hands. The front cover feels like very thin cardboard covered with faux leather on the outside and very, very thin microfiber on the inside. Amazon intended users to be able to fold this case back while reading, so I understand why the "spine" needs to be thin. But the front cover is so, so thin, it doesn't provide much if any protection for the Kindle itself. IMNSHO, the front cover should be thick enough to provide some protection, and it also needs an elastic strap like the K3 case.

What I *do* like about this case is how the KT snaps into place and fits very snugly. I like to lie on my back reading in bed, and (without a case) the KT turns itself off if I even slightly bump the power button against my chest. This case provides just enough of a lip around the bottom edge of the KT, that I'm no longer accidentally powering off the device simply by taking a deep breath! (Because the K3 has a sliding power switch, accidental power-offs have never been a problem for me.)

I am big fan of Amazon, and I've owned every Kindle since the original. Each one was a big improvement over the prior version. The Kindle Touch might be too, but without a more substantial, better designed case (with a light!), the KT is a big step down from my Kindle 3 (Keyboard).

Sadly, I expect to be returning both the Kindle Touch and this case. BTW, I bought the saddle tan color, and it's the ugliest saddle tan I've ever seen. IMNSHO, it looks like baby poo.

Sorry, Amazon, I love you and your products, but you missed the mark on this one! This flimsy case is way overpriced, too.
on November 29, 2011
This is a basically good design that's marred by some serious flaws. First: for the (steep) price, I expected some kind of closure. Nope. No Velcro, magnets... not even a ten-cent elastic strap! The cover just flaps around... it won't stay closed, and won't stay open when I'm reading. Aside from that, it needs a more "grippable" texture--it feels slippery, and I'm always afraid of dropping it.

On the bright side, it's a slim hardshell cover that provides excellent protection without bulking up the Kindle. But I can't recommend it until Amazon fixes the problems just mentioned.
on November 23, 2011
I'm somewhat disappointed with this Kindle Touch cover.

I was expecting to receive something like the Kindle Keyboard Leather Cover from Amazon, something that had a nice texture, felt as though it was pleasant to hold, and looked smart and classy.

Unfortunately, the Kindle Touch Leather Cover isn't like that at all. While it is nominally leather, it makes the Kindle Touch very slippery to hold. Since installing my Kindle Touch into this cover, I've dropped it twice; both times it seemed to literally slip from my fingers. I used the phrase "nominally leather" because it feels as though a very thin (VERY thin) layer of leather has been applied to a plastic casing. The leather is smooth and it is attractive, but darn, it's slippery.

There are a few things that I do like about the cover. It is plain and attractive in its plainness. It does have an embossed "kindle" on the cover and the inside of the cover and I like that as well. Additionally, the front of the cover is very easy to fold back behind the Kindle, putting it cleanly out of the way while you're reading, while not feeling like you're going to "break" the cover.

It's not bad cover, but as it is supposed to protect the Kindle Touch, it shouldn't add a measure of slipperiness to the item it is supposed to protect.
on November 19, 2011
The black leather cover looks kind of cheesey. I expected it to look better considering what I paid for it.
$39.95 seems a bit much for what I got. It sounds great when you advertise a Touch for $99.00 but by the time you buy a cover and an A/C adapter you are up to around $150.00. At least the A/C adapter should be included in the purchase price.
on December 7, 2011
Description: This case consists of a rubber tray sculpted around the kindle (everything is rounded up and around). The kindle fits into the tray very tightly. There is a piece of thin cardboard for the cover. The tray and the cover are all coated with a very thin layer of cheap, smooth leather. There is an exceptionally thin layer of soft fleece covering the inside of the front flap. The "spine" is a piece of thin leather that covers about 3/4 of the length of the kindle.

My opinion: I didn't like how it felt in my hand. The tray that the kindle sits in is rounded which I found hard to keep a hold of with one hand (my hands are very small). The cover is cheap cardboard that pokes my hand when I've got it folded back and am holding the kindle with one hand on the bottom right corner. This is because the cardboard cover sticks out farther than the tray. Also, the spine is so thin I worry about it giving way eventually.

Comparison with older Kindle Case: I had a kindle 2 with the keyboard and the kindle case that latched on with the "hinges." In comparison, that case was made of pebbled leather - not smooth - so it was easier to hold and felt more substantial. There was microfleece liner on the inside, but the lining was thicker than what was used in this new case. Again, that made the cover feel more substantial. There was a full front and back cover with a full book spine. The back cover was an actual flap that was flat instead of rounded - I could securely balance it in my hand. The new model doesn't really have a back "cover" - again, it feels like you are holding a tray that is sculpted around the kindle (so everything is rounded up and around).

Summary: This new case protects the kindle reasonably well. I feel like I could drop it and the rubber tray would protect it. But, I feel like I'm holding an uncomfortable electronics case and not a book. That makes it aesthetically and ergonomically unappealing to me. Throw in the price - I do not understand why it costs so much - and I'm pretty sure I'll be returning it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 3, 2012
Hi,
The quality of this Kindle cover is very low. Some scratches appeared the next day after using it for the first time. In short, you need another cover to protect this one :) Quite a shame considering the super-high price!
on December 15, 2011
If you are expecting a quality Amazon leather case for your Kindle Touch, don't look here. This case is nowhere near the quality of the Kindle 2 or 3 cases. The leather feels faux, it is super thin, there is nothing to keep it from falling open, and it is insultingly overpriced. $39.99--$10.00 more than the Kindle 3 case and apparently ten times less leather. The front cover is so thin and smooth, it almost feels like a cardboard notebook cover. It has an awkward hinge that connects front and back covers. The back looks and feels like plastic, without even the slightest appearance of being leather.

The one thing they got right was the smooth fabric interior, continued from previous Amazon Kindle cases, and it does strike a low profile when reading with it on. The device and case sort of blend together, which is nice. The Kindle Touch does fit well in the case, but I prefer the hinge method of the previous designs. With this case you actually click the whole device into the base of the back cover. I think this method also ensures the case looks more like a rubber skin, rather than a beautiful leather enclosure.

Overall, it is just a bit of a disappointment. It probably costs Amazon $5.00 to make, and they are charging $39.99.
on December 7, 2011
Although functional, the product is way overpriced. Completely missed opportunity to make a nice Kindle accessory!!!! I would have returned the product however just too much of a hassle.

I purchased the brown, which is fairly close in color to how it is featured online. The back cover is hard molded so that the Kindle firmly 'snaps' into place. It will not come out easily once in. Only problem w/ the back cover designed is that the speakers are covered over (probably not a deal breaker for many), however there is very good access to the bottom controls. The 'front cover' is a total bust. I was SO disappointed when I first saw it. It is very thin, hard plastic covered in leather. No type of padding at all, which would have given the feel of a leather covered book. It looks and feels cheap.

I was very interested in purchasing the same cover with the built-in reading light for the second Kindle in our household however, now that I see the quality of this product I don't think there is any way I want to spend another dime on this vendor's products.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 23, 2011
First of all, I've read a lot of reviews of this case and I was worried about what it would be like. It's just OK. My wife has a first generation Kindle that I gave her for her birthday the first year Kindle was available. The cover for that model was INCLUDED, but for a purchase price of $350+ it should have been. Still, the cover for the 1st Kindle model was MUCH higher in quality....padded cover, strap to keep the cover secure...It still looks GREAT!

So, I have to say that the Kindle Touch cover, clearly marked "Made in CHINA" and sold for $40, is REALLY cheaply made. I'll use a US Post Office rubber band to keep the front cover closed to the back of the case. On the positive side, it does appear to be real leather.