Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Elizabeth Cook Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on October 10, 2013
$19.99? Really, just save the money and buy an off-brand iphone usb plug and save yourself 15 dollars. There is no reason whatsoever that Amazon did not include one of these with the units. Save yourself money and use an alternative adapter. I love Amazon e-readers and own two of them, but I charge my new paperwhite with my Iphone adapter and the cable that came with my unit. Do not recommend.
5959 comments|1,054 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 29, 2013
I got this as a gift with my kindle (which I love). The design is horrible. The block itself takes up at least two slots in a power bar. On top of that, the usb plug sticks out of the side (not the top) parallel to the prongs. This means that you have to put the charger on the end of the power strip so there is room for the plug. It does fold up nicely, and is cute, but totally impractical. Most hotels have limited plugin space, so this does not work for travel either.
11 comment|300 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 10, 2013
Is Amazon kidding me? They want me to pay $19.99 for an item that is a critical part of the functioning of their product? Outrageous. I will find another 5V charger.
77 comments|617 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 11, 2013
It works fine but the shape makes it impossible to use the adjacent outlet in a power strip or the wall. The adapter for my old Kindle was much better, as it was no bigger than a standard power plug.
0Comment|113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 25, 2013
No reason. This product is described as 5W, 1 amp. The Kindle line is mainly 5V (4.8V, what's the difference) and around 1 amp, which is 5 Watts (5W). Why the mystery, guys? Also, this deal is for US 110V market only? I travel. I like that the previous simple FIRE charger was universal (i.e. 100V-240v). I like that the first Kindle charger was also universal. What are you people doing? Or, is it that the copywriter in this case just doesn't understand?

For those who don't understand the details of electricity, ANY device will tell you what it needs to feed. Voltage (V) is one thing to look at and your charger needs to say something within the range of 100 and 240 volts to meet your device need. As far as AMPS (A). If your device says it needs 1.8 A. It's perfectly fine to buy a charger that has a rating higher than that. Like 2 Amps. The device will only drink as much as it needs. A device that needs 1.8 A plugged into a 2 A charger just means the charger is taking a nap. Just avoid situations where your device needs more Amps than a charger can provide. It won't necessarily explode but it will extend charge times and is generally not recommended.
44 comments|217 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2013
The old power adapter was perfect. This one does not fit in the power strip without taking up 2 places. I have had to buy a new power strip for this to work with all my other adapters for phones, tablets, and Kindles.
0Comment|246 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 13, 2013
I pre-ordered 2 of these wall chargers because for the price they seemed like an excellent deal. I think I paid $5 instead of the $20 they're asking now.

Unfortunately I've run into 2 issues with them:
1) They don't like to stay in the wall outlet. The slightest tug on the USB cord will cause them to fall right out.
2) They do a poor job of charging. It takes a while to charge a phone using this, and sometimes it can't even keep up with the tablet while I'm using it and I start losing battery even while plugged in.

I have a Kindle PowerFast charger and it's rated at 9w, costs the exact same amount as these are currently going for, and does a MUCH better job.

If you're paying the full $20 price for these don't bother. The PowerFast charger is the same price and is a MUCH better charger.
11 comment|234 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I just purchased a new Kindle Paperwhite second generation and I did not purchase this charger. Why? Because I own multiple USB chargers and there is nothing special about this unit except it is expensive. You get a discount when you buy the charger at the same time as the Paperwhite but you probably don't need it. You can charge your Paperwhite with your computer, your external battery pack, if you have one, and with any USB AC wall charger you own that outputs 5VDC and roughly 1 amp.

I have multiple chargers for iPhones, older Kindles and other USB products and I decided to save the money. If you need one it is a good charger but I own a basket full of chargers now and decided that it is fine to reuse one of them.

I gave it 4 stars for the high price and the fact that it should have been in the box with the new Kindle Paperwhite.
1717 comments|327 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 13, 2013
Any cell phone will do the same thing, Amazon has confirmed this. $20 is a little ridiculous!! Save the money and buy a cheap android charger (Apple won't work).
on February 9, 2014
Many of these reviews refer to their new Kindles as not having a charger included. I hope those people didn't throw away the box! This exact charger is located at the top of the box, under a little unlabeled black flap. Come on...they wouldn't send a Kindle without a charger.
review image
55 comments|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse