What is wrong with Amazon? Why wait to Price Match and screw customers who preordered?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 10, 2012 10:48:52 AM PST
E.J. says:
Feel free to disagree...

But I think it is poor customer service and sets a bad tone for Amazon to wait two or three days AFTER preorders ship to price match another retailer.

We all know that many of us have alerted Amazon to the $44.99 price that Toys R Us and Newegg had advertised weeks ago (TRU still has this price currently) and today they just decide to lower it? Why now?

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 10:52:01 AM PST
Insufficient sales may be. The game went from #3-4 to #18 in two days. Skyrim was #2-10 for two months, and still in top 30.

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 12:25:21 PM PST
B. Hunter says:
Pretty much wondering this myself. I don't understand why they would essentially punish everyone who pre-ordered through them when the links were reported thousands of times indicating lower prices everywhere else, I sent them an email.... will see what happens.

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 12:49:52 PM PST
Will they still send out the bonus content DLC codes, or are they pretty much only for pre-orders?

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 1:06:45 PM PST
This is why I stuck with Newegg. I got the game on Wednesday, which was a day after its release, with free shipping and no need to haggle with Amazon's price matching stuff.

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 1:22:51 PM PST
B. Hunter says:
Amazon did right it and refund me the difference, just a FYI.

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 3:23:05 PM PST
ASC says:
Agree this is shady. I contacted them for a refund for the difference. We'll see.

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 3:27:11 PM PST
Vapedout says:
I contacted them as well.

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 4:10:58 PM PST
E.J. says:
They have done this several times now (dropped the price of an item or added a promotional credit 48-72 hours AFTER the game released). Makes you think twice about preordering from them

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 4:30:04 PM PST
nah if they do and you care, msg them and get a refund

if you dont care they get money

pretty smart move as ppl who actually get pissed get refund and those who dont pay more

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 4:38:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 10, 2012 4:40:25 PM PST
O. P. Kerr says:
I just called them and got $14.99 credited to my account, as many games as I but here I'm good with that, This is why I love Amazon and keep coming back.

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 6:56:17 PM PST
Vapedout says:
Here's an update: They fixed the price and refunded the difference. However, they tried to pass it off like they were doing me a huge favor. I firmly believe hey knew they were in the wrong and knew they would get some huge backlash considering but at least they took care of it.

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 7:34:43 PM PST
A. Carson says:
Since they don't officially do the Post Order Price Guarantee anymore, if you got your money back, good for you but that was probably the exception not the rule. (I'm glad you did, I really miss the POPG).
In my case, I've learned to never preorder anything unless it's either less than MSRP or comes with something (some actual bonus content I'm interested in, ie, not DLC I will use for thirty minutes [I admit that 7 quest lines is better than some weapons that are out of date by level 3]), or comes with a gift certificate. That said, I might flip my FFXIII-2 preorder bonus and get KoA for 25.

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 8:22:30 PM PST
So I called them, and they gave me a promo code that's worth the difference ($14.96) to use on my next purchase. (1 time exception) He also said that they don't guarantee that any of their prices will go up or down, even if u just purchased it.

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 9:03:52 PM PST
A. Ballstadt says:
I spoke to several different representatives online and was unable to get some sort of refund. I guess I'll just re-purchase the game and return it with the first order number (suggested by representative). Best of luck to anyone else encountering this issue.

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 10:04:06 PM PST
I tried once tonight; no luck. Basically told too bad. Told 'em I'm just going to quit pre-ordering and just wait 3 days and save money and they basically didn't care. I'll try again tomorrow. It's kind of pathetic they'd rather suggest us to do something shady like re-order it and send it back under the pre-order number for a refund, rather than just give everyone the credit.

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 10:11:34 PM PST
G says:
Contacted CS earlier tonight via email and they just refunded me: $14.96 :D I did tell them to check my account and see the thousands of dollars a year I spend here and how I felt I was screwed over cause I had contacted CS last week about lower prices online. Not sure if that helped.

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 7:06:08 AM PST
C. Edwards says:
I was also told to reorder it and send that copy back - which doesn't make sense. It is very frustrating that this happened, and also frustrating that they are responding inconsistently.

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 7:57:20 AM PST
Mark says:
Just bug them again and point them to this discussion link...?

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 8:00:23 AM PST
Thanks for the price drop head-up. I called CS and explained the issue. She gave me the "we don't price match" line. I reminded her how much I spend at Amazon and that I'd be buying games at Best Buy since they price match. She quickly caved ans issued me the "one time exception" of $16.

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 9:24:19 AM PST
Anthony says:
makes me glad that i canceled my pre-order and just decided to wait on this game due to there not being any promo code included for the pre-order. at this point i think i am just going to wait for the price to drop some more and use the $10 promo im getting from ME3 to buy it after some more updates are made.

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 12:59:48 PM PST
Just wasted an hour with customer service on the phone. Really bad policy, Amazon. As a prime member and someone who preorders all their games here, I didn't exactly expect royal treatment or anything, but damn, give me some reasons to not cancel all of my other preorders here and go somewhere that has policies that prevent this dumb stuff from happening. This will give me pause in re-upping my prime sub.

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 2:57:55 PM PST
Adam Kreger says:
That really sucks Keith, I spent literally 5 minutes using the Live Chat and got a refund for the difference. I too buy all my games from amazon and am a prime member as well (albeit 6 months free for student prime). Did you threaten to take your business elsewhere in the future? I did in my initial complaint and all the rep asked for was my order number, no further questions and I got my refund.

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 3:17:02 PM PST
I contacted them and then linked them to this page and got the refund. I recommend doing the same.

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 4:45:44 PM PST
C. Edwards says:
I tried twice on live chat with no luck, then called and was refunded the difference. It was very frustrating, but the rep on the phone was great. I would mention this thread.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  32
Total posts:  36
Initial post:  Feb 10, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 3, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Xbox 360
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Xbox 360 by Electronic Arts (Xbox 360)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (458)