Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Amazon Daily forum

Amazon Prime 2 Day Shipping - Can they use USPS Priority???

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2010 8:51:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2010 8:53:04 PM PST
D. Haskell says:
They aren't lost. They will be delivered eventually along with the replacements sent by Amazon. This is typical USPS this time of year and it is ridiculous Amazon would ship prime 2 day with USPS. Have you checked the delivery confirmation updates? My prime order on Black Friday shipped 11/26 with USPS Priority Mail with Amazon's estimated delivery date being 11/30. I have not gotten it yet, but am nearly positive it will be here tomorrow based on delivery confirmation updates. So that is 3 days late and transit time of 6 days.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2010 9:53:30 AM PST
Scar says:
Yes, the DC hasnt been updated since Saturday when they left AZ.

Posted on Dec 3, 2010 7:30:00 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jul 15, 2011 4:40:38 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2010 12:18:11 AM PST
D. Haskell says:
Even if DC hasn't updated I would still expect it arrive. It is very rare for them to lose packages in transit and relatively common that few or no updates show on the DC up until the time it is delivered.

I just sent this message to Amazon support:

"I would like to file a complaint as Amazon is using inappropriate shipping services for its prime "2 day" service. A couple days ago I noticed one of my packages ordered on Black Friday had not arrived. I checked the shipping information and was shocked to see USPS Priority Mail was the shipping service used.

Amazon should absolutely not be using USPS for 2 day shipping. USPS Priority Mail is a 2 OR 3 day service that is not guaranteed. It would be bad enough if this service was used other times of the year, but it is well known that USPS gets very backed up this time of year. Priority Mail shipments in late November and December almost always take at least twice that long. Amazon.com must know this.

This particular order was mailed using USPS Priority Mail on 11/26 and was supposed to be delivered by 11/30. It was not delivered until 12/03. Once again this was not an isolated event. This is the standard for USPS this time of year.

I've found many other prime customers had packages shipped with USPS that arrived very late. A lot are saying they will not be renewing prime. My family's prime subscription expires in about two weeks and if Amazon intends to continue using USPS for prime shipping, we may as well not renew and waste a lot of money if shipments aren't going to arrive quickly.

I do 95% of my shopping on Amazon.com and have always highly recommended it to everyone. After years of excellent service, this has me worried. I can understand if a package comes later than expected occasionally and that mistakes can happen.

But it should be obvious that there is a good chance Priority Mail shipments won't arrive in 2 days and will almost definitely take 5 or more this time of year. Prime is an expensive option and as such I expect Amazon.com to deliver on their service commitments.

If I get a generic response or it does not sound like Amazon.com is aware of the problem and working to correct it, I will file a complaint with the BBB. Amazon.com absolutely must not ship prime orders with USPS Priority mail or has to change the terms of the Prime service to reflect the fact that it no longer offers free 2 day shipping. Once again I have always had great respect for Amazon and I hope this issue is quickly resolved."

Posted on Dec 6, 2010 2:21:20 PM PST
I love USPS priority mail, Amazon has been using them to ship my orders when I buy items close to the weekend. USPS has always delivered on time if not early, as I am getting my Inception blu-ray one day ahead of release :) But they still use UPS if I buy an item on a Monday etc.

Posted on Dec 7, 2010 2:58:26 PM PST
M says:
Ugh so I have my first item shipping via USPS w/ Amazon. I am concerned that it will make presents to people in other parts of the country later than i want if I use Prime.

What is the best place to voice concerns over this change in shipping besides this forum? I tried to explain my problems with Ontrac to them and basically ended up trying a bunch of emails / phone calls with people who seemed to speak English but could not comprehend the problem.

If I can't rely on Prime to reliably deliver things free in 2 days for lots of presents I may as well not have it and not shop Amazon.

Posted on Dec 7, 2010 3:29:10 PM PST
Gregory G. says:
Same issue. The post office in my area is like the postal service in a 3rd world country. Sometimes they just don't come at all. If it is a box, it will likely never get here. The main reason I signed up for prime is so that they wouldn't send stuff to me via the post office.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2010 5:33:54 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jul 15, 2011 4:40:50 PM PDT]

Posted on Dec 7, 2010 6:00:20 PM PST
Got my 2 day shipment on Dec. 6. Ordered on Nov. 28. However I just ordered something else on Saturday and it did ship out via UPS and will be here tomorrow. I guess for the time being, if you really need your stuff for the holiday season, go with 1 day shipping because I'm quite sure Amazon wouldn't use USPS for that.

Posted on Dec 9, 2010 2:21:29 AM PST
M. Marsden says:
I am currently missing 4 packages shipped with Prime through the USPS. All are past their due date. After an hour on the phone with customer service (the first 45 minutes was them telling me to wait 2-3 more days), they finally agreed to ship me replacements for two of the 4 packages. The replacements were supposed to be here yesterday - they weren't. Amazon is now sending me emails telling me to return the original packages - which I still have not received.

I have spent on average around $8000 a year on Amazon for more than 5 years. I am not ordering anything else from them until at least the end of January - if then. I have no confidence that my items will arrive when they are supposed to (and when I paid for them to arrive).

Posted on Dec 23, 2010 6:42:04 AM PST
E. Driscoll says:
Another Prime customer very dissatisfied with Amazon's choice to start using USPS. This is the second time they have shipped my order USPS in the last month and the second time that my order is now late -- two days late and still counting. This time, it's a Christmas present that now may not arrive on time.

I have been an Amazon prime customer since they started offering the service, and I spend thousands of dollars every year at Amazon. This is NOT what I paid for. In all the years I've shopped at Amazon, this is the first time that I have been gravely disappointed with their service.

Are you listening, Amazon?? Your decision to use USPS for Prime shipments is aggravating and disappointing your most loyal customers.

Posted on Dec 23, 2010 7:32:54 AM PST
E. Driscoll says:
Update: I just got off the phone with a customer service rep. Her first response was, "let's give it until 4pm today to see if it arrives". My response to that was, no - the package is already two days late and I need it by *tomorrow*, you need to send me out a replacement package, shipped overnight, now. To which she responded "oh, I see, OK" and then did put in a replacement order with overnight shipping. Also, I will give amazon credit that it was only about 60 seconds between the time I put in the request to "call me now" regarding my order and the time my phone rang.

On the one hand, their customer service department is doing well at trying to make this right but more importantly, I should not have had to make this call to begin with. On top of that, I now have to arrange my schedule to be here tomorrow to make sure I receive the replacement package and I also have to spend my time sending one of the packages back if both of them arrive.

I plan to contact their support department and demand resolution or compensation every time they ship my package USPS and it takes longer than 2 days to get here. Amazon should be the ones to bear the costs of choosing a carrier that does not meet the terms of our agreement, not me. If enough people do this, maybe they'll get the message and quit using USPS. If not, then I will seriously reconsider why I should be paying for Amazon Prime membership since its value has been greatly diminished.

Posted on Dec 23, 2010 8:46:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2010 8:59:45 AM PST
H. A. says:
I placed an order for four items on Amazon Prime for my wife for Christmas on Sunday. Three of the items shipped via UPS and arrived yesterday (Wednesday) as promised. The fourth item shipped via USPS for some reason. Today I tracked the package and something didn't look right. After a call to customer service I was told that it would be delivered in seven to 10 days (WHAT!!!???). Amazon is going to send out another for overnight delivery, but what if I had trusted them and didn't call? On top of it all, I need to go through the hassle of sending back the original order when it arrives.

Amazon, when I pay for 2 day shipping I expect 2 DAY SHIPPING!

**EDIT** Not 10 minutes after being told the item would take seven to 10 days to arrive the original package was delivered. I then had to call back to cancel the replacement. What a pain in the neck. As an apology Amazon extended my Prime service for a couple of months, although at this point I'm not convinced that is a good thing.

Posted on Dec 31, 2010 11:42:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2011 4:55:46 PM PST
Ken says:
Another USPS "Priority" mail misfire. What the heck? Two-day means two days in my book. Not the lamest delivery system in the country promises that it might reach you in two days, unless of course it doesn't - which is pretty much always.

I knew as soon as I saw the tracking was a USPS tracking I was screwed. Sure enough, not in the mail today. I should have ordered the part from Newegg, they have distribution close to me and their free shipping always gets to me in a day since they do not use USPS - they know better. But no, I have a Prime account I should go buy it on Amazon with my "Prime" account. And Saturday is a Holiday. So, the item I ordered specifically to show up for the weekend will get here Monday because Amazon doesn't actually ship two-day with prime, but instead ships three day.

Fool me once... Well, no more expensive tech orders from Amazon for me, and no way I'll spend a dime on Prime. Their competition is shipping to me faster with free shipping than Amazon can pull off with "Prime".

Posted on Jan 3, 2011 9:00:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 3, 2011 9:11:54 AM PST
BP Roberts says:
I've never had any complaints about USPS. I've sent and received dozens, if not hundreds of packages with them over the years and priority shipments almost always arrive day 2, in fact I'd say they arrive next day more often than they take the extra 3rd or 4th day. I strongly suspect this is a problem on Amazon's end, not the postal service's. I know a number of people who have had issues with Amazon shipping before the switch to USPS (items often taking a week or more with 2 day shipping and or several days with overnight.) I don't use Amazon terribly often (I prefer to buy from a brick and mortar store of direct from the manufacturer when possible) but I thought I'd chime in on this.

Previously I usually used the standard 3-5 day option, knowing full well that this generally meant about a week and a half. I accepted this, shipping being spotty at best on the weekends regardless of what provider you used. Yesterday I signed up for Amazon student's free prime service and put in an order for a DVD. I selected my free 2 day shipping and the checked helpful chart on shipping speeds that Amazon provides. According to it orders placed Sunday (or before the cutoff Monday) could be expected on Wednesday. That would be January 6 for those keeping score at home. Again, waiting an extra day for an order placed on a Sunday isn't surprising. This morning I signed on to see if there we any updates on my order and I saw that they were listed as preparing for shipment. Fair enough, Amazon should be able to box it up and send it this afternoon I think to myself. Then I see the estimated delivery date. January 7-10. So the earliest I can expect is a full day after your previous estimated day? And on top of that it may take another 3 days? That's 3-6 business days, not 2. The holiday crunch should finishing up by now, so that can't be the excuse.Maybe the estimated day is just Amazon hedging their bets and hoping I'll be less upset if it does take an extra day or two, maybe I'll get a happy little surprise on Wednesday. I guess I'll post again when it arrives (or disappears.) Either way, at this point all I have to say about Amazon "Prime" is, "I'm glad I didn't pay for this."

Posted on Jan 7, 2011 5:45:58 PM PST
For some reason Amazon just started shipping my packages USPS, which is unfortunate because these packages will not get to me in two days. The last package took 3 days plus another day added because USPS in my city refuses to knock on doors. They just leave a slip saying to pick the items up at the post office the following day. I loved when they shipped ontrac because the person arrived like clockwork and I buzzed them into the building and they dropped the package at my door. USPS has a key for my building but will not buzz or knock on doors. I may end up canceling Prime which is a shame because it's been great up to this point.

Posted on Jan 8, 2011 9:56:00 AM PST
As a Prime member for three years, I too am *very* unhappy with the switch to USPS. My biggest complaint is the loss of tracking capability-you can tell when the electronic shipping info has been submitted by Amazon, but unlike FedEx or UPS, there's no in-transit updating. Might not be that big a deal for some folks, but for me, it may well become a deal killer. With a heavy work travel schedule, I need the ability to see, with confidence, when packages are set to deliver so I can make arrangements for a neighbor to bring them indoors (winter climate).

Yes, shipping costs have risen, but.... Prime membership is about high volume/repeat customer usage over the course of a twelve month period; definitely should be enough to offset the negotiated contract rates a company like Amazon is able to secure with more reliable national carriers.

Posted on Jan 13, 2011 10:32:05 PM PST
I'm also upset about the switch to USPS Priority Mail for 2Day shipments. USPS does NOT guarantee delivery in 2 days, and the tracking that the USPS certainly is not "premium" in any sense, because it's simply so lacking. (Though to the USPS's credit, it has improved a bit because it'll occassionally tell you that your package has "processed through a sort facility @ XXX" and sometimes provides an expected delivery date)

I've done some shipping, and in my experience, FedEx Ground/Express Saver is usually in the same price neighborhood as Priority Mail, but a brand like FedEx or UPS is certainly more reliable --- heck, Saturday delivery is built into the cost of FedEx Home Delivery. If Amazon doesn't switch over to FedEx/UPS, for sure I won't be renewing my Prime membership. I'm not a high volume shipper and even I can sometimes rake in a solid 20% discount with FedEx, but Amazon is, and why they aren't able to get decent pricing with UPS/FedEx is beyond me, even given the rise in shipping costs.

Posted on Jan 27, 2011 6:02:28 PM PST
maggie says:
i've been with amazon prime for years. used to be when i chose a "prime option" item, i was informed on the checkout page when the item would be shipped and when (two days later) i'd be receiving the item. delivered like clockwork. couldn't have been happier.
then . . . amazon began asking me to CHOOSE if i'd like the item in two days, saying when i called that some folks didn't want their items shipped right away or didn't want to get their chosen items that quickly. what?! so, if i forgot to choose, (trained as i was by the good-old-days service) i received my item late.
now, with most items marked as prime, there's no promise of two day delivery and no option to choose a two day delivery, and--yes, although there are no shipping costs, and that's good-- sometimes the item arrives over a week later.
also, now ups has a deal with the post office, so items marked for my physical address don't arrive there anymore and if i don't go to the post office every day there's no easy way to determine when my packages actually did arrive.
i'm about to opt out of amazon prime---one, because the service is no longer what it was, and two, because amazon, as far as i can see, hasn't kept its customers informed as to what's been happening and i no longer respect their intentions.

Posted on Feb 1, 2011 2:30:21 PM PST
Will says:
I am extremely unhappy with the inconsistent delivery methods used for Prime 2-day shipping.

I ordered an item on Friday with prime 2-day shipping, and it was sent out via UPS Ground. On Saturday I ordered a separate item with prime 2 day shipping, and it was sent via UPS 2 day air (as I would expect it to). Sure enough, it's Tuesday, and I've just received the Saturday shipment, but the Friday one is expected to arrive tomorrow. I'm really angry that they are misrepresenting their delivery methods in this manner. I don't think I will be renewing my Prime membership when it comes up. It just seems like they're advertising something that they are not planning to deliver consistently.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2011 3:26:07 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jul 15, 2011 4:40:59 PM PDT]

Posted on Feb 12, 2011 11:50:11 PM PST
I just found out that at least the 4th Amazon Prime order that I know of has shipped via USPS in recent weeks. I am beyond furious about this. It was an in-stock blu-ray. Ordered on the 7th, the tracking info says it left the facility on the 8th, and now it's the 12th, and WHERE IS IT? USPS sure as crap doesn't know, based on their less-than-worthless tracking results. I've tried talking to CS, and may as well be talking to a brick wall. Amazon is royally pissing me off about this, and gives me literally no recourse and NO satisfactory resolution. I DO NOT WANT ANYTHING SHIPPED TO ME BY THE INCOMPETENT BUMBLING POSTAL SERVICE!!!! For years I have come to expect as a matter of course that my items shipped UPS and they have always been on time. I am sick and tired of items arriving late. Seems like Amazon Prime is fast becoming a worthless lie and I'm pretty sure I will be canceling right quick if this nonsense doesn't stop soon. Why do they say it will be here in 2 days when obviously it won't and they apparently don't even care?

Posted on Feb 14, 2011 5:29:42 PM PST
K. Haney says:
I don't care if my stuff is shipped by USPS, UPS, FedEx, Airborne, Santa's sleigh, or camel... as long as it gets to me in 2 days in good condition.

These days, it's not. Packages take too long and I've had quite a few that were damaged, too.

As previous posters have recommended, I'm taking my Prime membership OFF auto-renew. Amazon has made tons of money from me over the years, mostly because I always defaulted to them because of "free" (prepaid, really), quick shipping. Not any more.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2011 5:42:23 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jul 15, 2011 4:41:15 PM PDT]

Posted on Feb 15, 2011 5:25:56 AM PST
K. Haney says:
Good point, Steven, though it would be extremely short-sighted of them. When I don't have Prime (and even now, when I have it and it doesn't work as advertised), I'll lose a major reason to buy from Amazon. It supposedly costs lots more to gain a new customer than to lose a current one. Oh well! Not my problem. After all: new vendors are just a Google search away.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Amazon Daily forum
Participants:  610
Total posts:  1276
Initial post:  Jan 6, 2010
Latest post:  1 day ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 87 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about