Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it DJ Shadow Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Amazon, Quit shipping via USPS and btw, you suck

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 458 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 15, 2007 6:45:34 PM PST
Reviewer says:
I ordered this thing before it was released. The freaking USPS showed it left a nearby city on Feb. 3 and it was supposed to arrive by yesterday, but Amazon told me to call back the next day and they would take care of it. So I did and then they told me to call back on the 20th! I'll never get this, and Amazon doesn't give a crap.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2007 8:26:19 AM PST
E says:
I know exactly how you feel. I've had the same thing happen to me, but from another e-tailer. Legallywise, delivery has to occur within 30 days of them accepting your order. I know 30 days is a long time, but that is the law. If they shipped your order in a timely manner and USPS was the ones who are taking a long time to deliver then that is a whole new can of worms that needs to be worked out with the post office. Suggestion would be to select a different carrier and pay the surcharge.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2007 2:13:46 PM PDT
Mike says:
USPS has refused to deliver items on many occasions. They claim to no longer leave packages on the doorstep. They expect me to go out of my way to pick it up at the post office. However, on some occasions, they have left packages on my doorstep. Amazon tells me to contact the post office, which I believe to be poor customer service.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2007 8:52:07 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 24, 2007 8:57:31 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2008 8:29:37 AM PDT
I have had the same experience. I will also note that for people who live in apartments that USPS is much worse than UPS. USPS tries to deliver the package once and then takes it to the local branch. Picking it up at the local branch is a hassle. UPS tries three times.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2009 2:43:57 PM PST
Bill says:
The fault lies mostly with USPS and that should be reason enough not to use them. Their tracking is non-existent. I would be willing to pay a little extra for UPS or Fed-X but simply not choosing "free super saver shipping" doesn't guarantee they still won't use USPS. Bulkier items usually go out with a different carrier but smaller items are almost universally shipped USPS and it really sucks, to the point that I will likely begin shopping elsewhere for items like DVD's, BD's, software, books, etc.

It wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't an estimated delivery date for USPS. In the past you could usually expect it before that date(at least back when most shipping was via UPS) but lately my merchandise has been showing up days even weeks late with no indication from USPS as to where it is or when it will arrive or even if it's on it's way yet. Amazon also keeps sending the old "your order has shipped" emails which usually includes the "where's my stuff" link and when I link to it that order is no longer there. Pathetic

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2009 4:08:38 AM PST
Ironically, I paid extra to have it shipped.

The order was to go from Forest Park, IL (chicago suburb) to Evanston IL (chicago suburb). A distance of 40 miles, easily coverable in two days.

USPS shows an 8-day gap on the front-end, and they sent the package 200+ miles AWAY from Chicago. Is it on it's way back? Don't know.

January 12, 2009 08:03:00 AM ALLEN PARK MI Arrival Scan
January 11, 2009 02:12:00 AM FOREST PARK IL Arrival Scan
January 3, 2009 09:52:00 PM FOREST PARK IL Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit [perhaps this should be Jan 5th)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2009 7:05:52 AM PST
Cookie Pixie says:
I have placed two orders recently and have stupidly used the free shipping, only because I have never had issues in the past. Well, color me changed!! The first order was shipping from Forest Park, IL to near Milwaukee and took 9 days. The second I am STILL waiting for (it's been 7 days and counting), and is supposedly coming from either Des Moines, or somewhere in Delaware (who really knows). I am getting frustrated and am considering not shopping with Amazon anymore, since there is no guarantee that you'll get your stuff when you need it. It's worth it to me to spend more and have it when I need it. I don't even care whose fault, Amazon or the USPS, it's maddening either way, and obviously getting worse.

Posted on Feb 23, 2009 1:03:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 25, 2009 11:40:39 AM PST
****I would have to say, stop using SPEEDY delivery service, read to understand.. usps, didnt delay my order one bit, in fact they were in possession of my order less than 24 hours before delivery...!!!!!!!! Please read...

I have ordered two things in the last two months from amazon, and used free super saver, amazon over the first few days shows several updates about it leaving here, and ariving there, while the whole time if you track it as usps website, it says they dont even show a record of the order yet, then one day the usps site shows that they have receieved electronically information about the shipment but that that doesnt necessarily mean that they have received it yet, but by this time amazon has 4 entries in its tracking feature about it leaving facility and ariving here and there etc.. this is unbelievable. I have ordered many things from amazon in the past from super save shipping and this is an "amazon product" so it says. I never used to have these problems and even with super saver i would receive the item in 2 to 3 days which was great service. It's not like this now, it almost seems that the amazon site is tracking the shipment as they move it around to a couple of facilities before it ever really reaches the hands of the usps. why else would usps not show all of these same departure and arrival times, i mean its all in both of their computers, it's not like someone has to manually update it, once its scanned it should show i would think similar to ups fed ex, etc.. I do know that usps tracking sucks from other experiences too but this is rediculous. and the amount they charge you to upgrade the shipping is hard to justify also. I really dont know what im gonna do, but it wont be the same anymore, and not likely through amazon, there are many other good resellsers. usps isnt slow on mailing letters, it has to be something with the way amazon is doing this all with bulk, or some agreeement they have with usps, that the items can be stored somewhere for a few days until there is a certain amount of product and then it is all turned loose at once, there is no other explanation as to why shipping would take so long.

im sick of this..............

update, so i called my local post office in my town, have the whole answer, at least in my situation...
when amazon ships they use "speedy" delivery service...it doesnt go to usps right away.
so here is scenerio,
1. i ordered from amazon in the a.m. on 2/19/2009. within minutes i get a confirmation email..
2. at 10:24 p.m. same day, i get an email from amazon that my item has shipped. and can check their website for tracking status and tracking number. at this time of course the usps site says it cant find the tracking number.
here is the log from start until 1:29 p.m. on 2/25/09 from the amazon tracking screen:
February 23, 2009 05:39:00 AM --- Departure Scan
February 22, 2009 02:55:00 PM --- Departure Scan
February 21, 2009 08:00:00 AM BROOKLYN PARK MN Arrival Scan
February 19, 2009 08:15:43 PM Whitestown IN US Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit
3. usps site doesnt even note my tracking number until the 22nd...which it then says "they have received electronic information on the package but that this doesnt necessarily mean that they received it yet"
in fact up til right now at 1:32PM ON 1/25/09 the usps website still shows this same message, nothing new.
4. so this morning i called the local post office and had them pull up the tracking number and i asked a few questions..apparently amazon stuff goes through speedy and in fact speedy got my package to my local post office last night. so until the 24th, the post office never even had in their possession my package... now they do have and told me that it will be brought to me today, but this answers all of my questions on why "free super saver shipping" is nearly impossible to track, it goes through "speedy" and of course no one ever told me that nor was i given a tracking number for speedy, and compile that with the fact that even though the post office recieved and scanned in my package last night or yesterday afternoon sometime, their website doesnt even show that they have my package yet either... unbelieveable, most of this confusion is caused by amazon using speedy and not providing me with that tracking number so that i can at least have an idea of what is going on. yes i got the shipping for free, but i like to know where my stuff is and have a good idea of when i am really going to get it. Amazon has showed "estimated delivery date" of the 27th since day one, so yes i am glad i am going to get it today on the 25th, but this is annoying... sometimes i order products for customers and i really cant depend on dates, if i dont have alot of time to wait it seems i shouldnt chance super saver shipping as it is very unpredictable. the last time i ordered about a month ago took a couple more days than it is taking this time which really isn't "that speedy" although yes it is "free"..

hope this answers some questions for some people, i wonder in the future if i would contact amazon on the phone directly if they would provide me with an individual tracking number for speedy? i would hope so.

Posted on Apr 5, 2009 5:28:03 PM PDT
iWumbo says:
I wouldn't mind the delays so much, but USPS sucks. When my orders ship with UPS, they arrive in beautiful pristine condition. With USPS, my books are usually bent in a couple of places and CD jewel cases might be cracked. If Amazon continues to USPS, I'll take my business elsewhere.

Posted on May 21, 2009 10:27:25 AM PDT
ccmp says:
I would like to chime in for Amazon to stop using USPS, or at least always have an option to choose UPS or FedEx. A working and valid tracking system is a must in the United States of America in 2009. USPS does not have a tracking system, thus should be eliminated from the ONLY choice we consumers have to choose from. There is also the annoyance of having the packages take the whole allotted time to arrive to your door, there is no early with USPS. So Amazon and its retailers either STOP using USPS, or give us the option to choose UPS or FedEx please.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2009 5:07:22 PM PDT
Protegé says:
Thank you! This answers all my questions about why amazon has tracking information, but USPS website doesn't. As a matter of fact, Amazon has that my package has arrived at a second destination and under the location column it has "-----" lol.. how can a package arrive at NOWHERE?

Posted on Jun 18, 2009 7:56:24 AM PDT
From my experiences, USPS is the least informative tracking wise and took the longest. And people want govt run health care? yikes.

Posted on Aug 4, 2009 11:43:34 AM PDT
M. Mischnick says:
Well at least I understand why my last order that shipped via SuperSave seemed to disappear into the ether until it miraculously arrived at my local post office several days after it shipped. It also explains why my current order, which shipped on Sunday 8/2 (although obviously can't go anywhere on Sunday, so didn't really ship until Monday 8/3) has no tracking info on the USPS website two days later on Tues. 8/4. I guess I'll just have to wait and hope it comes by the time Amazon says its supposed to get here... I just wish I could track it.

Posted on Aug 10, 2009 7:44:43 AM PDT
Did Free Super Saver shipping b/c I'm cheap. I'm not really sure why it takes 3 days to put an ipod in a box and send it. Also, not sure why it takes a few more days before the post office actually records that they received it. So one week has gone by, and the thing is just now in the post office close to the shipping location. I wish I had just picked one up at Target in the 1st place.

Posted on Sep 23, 2009 8:20:24 AM PDT
Luyer says:
Protegé,

The "---" location is a bug in Amazon's system - it happens when Amazon have shipped via FedEx SmartPost.

If you check the FedEx website with the USPS tracking number, you will see the progress of the package towards a USPS post office near to you (in detail). It will not show up in the USPS website until FedEx transmit the tracking information to USPS (which is an event which will also show up on the FedEx system).

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2009 9:57:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2009 3:46:16 PM PDT
Chun Li says:
Luyer: Thanks for the information!

Amazon probably groups hundreds of packages to similar destinations into a big single package and ships through FedEx (at cheap bulk shipping rate), and then FedEx delivers to local post offices by zip code. All USPS is involved is to do the final delivery with confirmation sent back to FedEx. For my orders, the packages were delivered to local post office in the morning and delivered to me the next day. Most of the time the packages were not even in the USPS system, and FedEx notified USPS only one day before it delivered to local post office. So, the delay is due to either Amazon or FedEx, probably Amazon. When Amazon says "Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit", FedEx only says "Shipment information sent to FedEx". It is likely the package is sitting somewhere waiting to be grouped into a big load before FedEx takes it. One of my recent purchases took 5 days from Amazon's Indianapolis (Whitestown, IN) site to FedEx's Memphis (Southhaven, MS) site, which is just 8-hour drive. Amazon is damaging USPS's reputation by simply telling its customers "shipped via USPS".

Posted on Nov 10, 2009 12:08:34 PM PST
Matt says:
PLEASE stop shipping with USPS. The tracking is a complete joke.

Posted on Nov 11, 2009 5:32:01 AM PST
I have been using Amazon Prime since it began. Amazon has always shipped my purchases via UPS or FedEx until about two or three weeks ago. I have started receiving a few items sent by USPS. I ordered the Blu Rays UP and Monsters, Inc., which were released yesterday, back in October. Amazon stupidly shipped them by USPS. They did not arrive yesterday as they should have. When I checked the tracking, I found that they are sitting in the Post Office and will not be delivered until timorrow (I hope) because today is Veteran's Day and there is no mail. As a Prime customer, who paid the extra fee for fast delivery, I should have received them yesterday. I called Amazon to complain last night and all I was told was that Amazon ships with different carriers, as if I didn't know that already! I live about two blocks away from a Best Buy, so I am now sorry that I didn't buy them there. I would have paid tax, but if I didn't pay for Prime, I would have offset the tax with the savings. If Amazon keeps shipping by USPS, they've lost me as a customer. And I've been with them for over ten years.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2009 12:36:22 PM PST
David Perry says:
This is incredibly helpful. I found my package's whereabouts on the FedEx website. Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2009 10:35:23 PM PST
Kelly says:
thank you, thank you, thank you for the usps/fed ex information!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2009 12:01:11 PM PST
Thanks this was very helpful!!

Posted on Dec 7, 2009 2:35:36 PM PST
J. Chapa says:
They just Shipped Me some items but i gave them my Street Address but were i live usps does not ship to houses so does anyone know whats ganna happen... I Only gave them my street address because they said that my package was to big to be shipped in P.O. Box? any help here?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2009 2:10:19 AM PST
W.D. Mclain says:
I've done that before and Amazon said it would get returned to the sender and I would get a refund. That didn't happen however. The package got rerouted to my PO box and showed up postage due. Since it's too big for a PO box I'd imagine the postal service will return it, and probably Amazon will refund your payment.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2009 2:07:18 PM PST
You have described my situation precisely. I have been an Amazon Prime member for 10 years, and they have always shipped via UPS. When I click that 2day one click button, I expect (having paid for my membership) to not have my packages sent via the cheap, slow USPS method, where they get lost at a local post office, but that is what has been happening in the last few months. Most recently they sent some electronics purchase through the Post Office!!! There is no reason for this recent change, other than a way to rip off the paying members of their service. If they could ship properly for 10 years, they can continue to do so.

If this keeps up, Amazon will loose me as a customer as well.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  395
Total posts:  458
Initial post:  Feb 15, 2007
Latest post:  13 hours ago

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate UPGRADE DVD (OLD VERSION)
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate UPGRADE DVD (OLD VERSION) by Microsoft Software (Windows 2000 / Vista Business / Vista Home Basic / Vista Home Premium / XP)
3.0 out of 5 stars (204)