Amazon Shouldn't Allow Reviews Prior to Release Date

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 6, 2007 5:14:32 PM PDT
This has probably been discussed before, but it needs repeating:
Again, people are giving an item five stars prior to release because they are familiar with PREVIOUS releases of the item. I only hope that this dvd version lives up to the high marks.
How do you know it's going to be great this time around? What if the restoration isn't up to snuff for this version, or suppose a sequence is edited? I wish Amazon would not allow reviews until after the release date. It will affect the average review in a false way.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2007 10:54:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 12, 2007 10:55:14 AM PDT
Missy says:
I actually agree with you. Not just for DVD's, CD's, movies, and books as well. I know in past reviews people have said they got advanced screening of the DVD's, but still. Amazon should disable the "Write a Review" link until the day of.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2007 8:38:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 26, 2007 8:39:48 AM PDT
Nanciejeanne says:
I sort of agree, however, some reviewers have read the specs of the item and can inform us about aspect ratios, interviews, etc. and why this release may or may not be what you want. I frequently preorder items and I do read these types of reviews, which I often find helpful. (e.g., "don't bother upgrading, no new material" or "contains new interviews with the author and director" etc.)

Some just write to tell us that they enjoyed the movie 30 years ago. That is fine, too, I guess, as most reviews for products are for the movie itself, not the actual quality of that dvd release. ("that movie rocks!" I am sure you've read these. Who cares when these are posted.)

My favorite reviews are the ones that give the movie one rating and the actual dvd release another, such as "5 stars for the movie, 3 for this dvd edition."

If the reviews are posted early, that's fine..there will be more reviews after release if I don't want to believe the earlybirds.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2007 4:51:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 18, 2007 4:27:44 PM PDT
This has been said before yes, too many times (particularly in the case of Ken Burns' new baby "The War"). However, this time I must overrule the objection. 1) The film was first released in theaters in 1967 and re-released in them several times after that before the era of Home Video. 2) It was shown on The Disney Channel many times before they changed their stripes. 3) It was released on VHS at least twice during the 1980s and 1990s. 4) This is the 3rd time it has been released on DVD. Ergo, there is ample info out there to give an accurate review. As for the aspect ratios and other info (about extras), until Amazon displays that info, there are places where this can be obtained (such as www.disney.com). In this case, QED, the comment about not reviewing it in advance is irrelevant. I still stand by my main conviction. If you believe that Amazon should not allow early bird reviews, THIS IS NOT THE PLACE TO BRING IT UP. Take it up with THEM (Amazon) outside and in private, and let those of us who have legitimate comments good or bad about the reviews posted make our comments.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2007 6:37:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2007 6:37:50 PM PST
NCTejana says:
I think the best compromise would be to allow REVIEWS, but not RATINGS. That way, people with advance information could provide it, and people who want to comment on the actual movie/TV show could do so, but ratings of the specific product wouldn't be skewed before it emerged. In the case of the Season 1 DVD of "The Cosby Show," for example, the ratings were horribly distorted by people who had reviewed the **program** long before the terrible presentation it received on DVD. For those of us who were disgusted by the fact that the DVD contained only chopped-up, syndicated versions, after promotion as "complete" episodes, it was immensely frustrating to be working so hard to counteract 5-star reviews from people who'd never seen the DVD itself.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Aug 6, 2007
Latest post:  Nov 10, 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Jungle Book (Fully Restored 30th Anniversary Limited Edition) [VHS]
The Jungle Book (Fully Restored 30th Anniversary Limited Edition) [VHS] by Phil Harris (VHS Tape - 1997)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (1,347)