7,650 Reviews
 (6,250)

1,284 of 1,433 people found the following review helpful
****UPDATE: December 14, 2013 ****
Published on December 9, 2010 by mom2boyz

2.0 out of 5 stars The gift note from me wasn't in the card!?
I LOVE Amazon and the overnight shipping on these cards is great but they asked for a gift note and they sent the gift card but without the note I wrote in it. The person I sent it to had no idea who it was from so I had to embarassingly ask if they got it or not.

Published on December 21, 2010 by Steve Jameson

1,284 of 1,433 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Love the gift card, but what do you get in the mail? NO, your personal message will not be printed on the inside of the card., December 9, 2010
****UPDATE: December 14, 2013 ****
**********************************
I just wanted to give people reading this a "HEADS-UP," since I had to learn the hard way. You probably are NOT going to receive this (or any) Amazon "mailed" gift card in ONE-DAY ... from now until Christmas (even if the free one-day is selected). You also might NOT receive it in ONE BUSINESS DAY. This is true even if the status on the page says "order in X hours and X minutes and receive it tomorrow (or on X date). Pay close attention when you go to pay on what the "new" delivery date says (this may/will change from what it said when you went to put it in your cart). AFTER you place the order (and pay), look again at the delivery date (again, it may have changed again since you paid). Finally, go back and check the tracking to see that it actually shipped and what the CARRIER'S estimated delivery date on their site. I ordered a gift card on Thursday morning, with a "guaranteed" one-day shipping and delivery on Friday. Guess what ... the card is not being delivered until late Monday. That definitely is NOT one-day shipping.
**********************************

This is the perfect gift ... so many things to choose from on Amazon and very easy to redeem (just type in the card number at checkout or add the gift card number to your Amazon account). And, most importantly, if you have a problem with your gift card purchase, you need to contact Amazon as they are generally really good about fixing problems. (Sometimes you have to speak to two or three people before it gets fixed, but it generally gets fixed). But, Amazon cannot fix a problem if you don't contact them (via phone, e-mail or live chat ... not by leaving a product review) and give them a chance to fix it. If you want/need something specific, then ask for that.

I have purchased the mail, e-mail and print versions of the Amazon gift card. All were very easy to purchase (and use ... when I or my kids were the recipient). I purchased the E-MAIL version when I wanted the gift recipient to have it that day to use or if the gift recipient was traveling. I always sent an e-mail, text or some other way let the person know that I sent it and to check their e-mail. I purchased the MAIL version when that gift recipient preferred to get "something" in the mail to open and hold. Again, I always tracked the package and then confirmed that they received it. I purchased the PRINT version when I needed something now, but also needed something tangible to give the gift recipient. I have purchased well over 30 gift cards and have never had a problem (luckily!).

That being said ... after reading some of the reviews, I just want to clarify exactly what you can expect to receive/get with your mail gift card order. IMPORTANT NOTE: Do NOT combine/order gift cards to be mailed with other items from Amazon if you want the free one-day shipping on your gift card(s). Order gift cards separately from other items you are ordering from Amazon (i.e., place more than one/separate orders on Amazon). If you do not, you will not receive free one-day shipping on your gift card(s).

1. I read the reviews that said that all of the greeting cards (that contained the mailed gift card) were sealed and that the person was not able to see which gift card went to which person (if they ordered different cards and/or different dollar amounts). Because of this, I placed 5 different orders for 5 different gift cards ALL sent to myself. That was unnecessary. Because while the outer envelope (which is really the Amazon's packaging for the greeting card/gift card combo) is sealed ... the greeting card, which the gift card is attached to, and the envelope that it goes in are separate inside the sealed envelope packaging (which is meant to be opened prior to giving as a gift). So, when you open that sealed envelope you will see the card, as well as the gift card amount. At that point, you can also write a personal message on the greeting card prior to giving.

2. The actual $ mailed gift card for the Christmas designs are just the generic brown "a" with the curved underline (i.e., the Amazon.com logo) for some of the cards. For those particular cards, the only thing that has the Christmas or holiday designs are the greeting cards themselves. There are some cards, however, that have the same design on the plastic gift card as on the paper greeting card. (Look closely at the pictures that Amazon shows and you will see which greeting cards have which plastic gift card.) So, only some of the gift cards have Christmas or holiday designs on them. Again, click on each design and look at the picture. If you are planning on spending $50, $75 or $100+ on each gift card, I suggest the Amazon gift card tins (Amazon.com Gift Cards - In a Gift Box - Free One-Day Shipping, Amazon.com Gift Cards - In a Gift Box - Free One-Day Shipping, or Amazon.com Gift Cards - In a Gift Box - Free One-Day Shipping).

3. The personal message that you type for the mailed gift card appears only on the packing slip/receipt thrown in the box or bubble envelope that Amazon ships the sealed envelope in. (That is, the little piece of paper that shows the GIFT FROM, shipping address and what was purchased.) Your message will NOT appear on the greeting card, which is sealed inside the envelope packaging. The person would have to look on the packing slip to see the personal message. NOTE: I order a lot on Amazon and I have on occasion received items that *I* ordered for myself with no packing slip, which is not an issue because *I* ordered it. But, if I had received/or sent it as a gift, that could be an issue. The five separate gift card orders that I placed and received all contained that small fax-paper like packing slip. But, it could happen that an order might not contain the packing slip since I have received orders without any packing slip. It's too bad that Amazon doesn't at least offer the option to have the message typed directly on the actual greeting card (like ToysRUs) when it's going to someone as a gift (and maybe say it would take longer than the standard 1-day shipping). Just a suggestion!

4. As I said, I ordered several mail gift cards ... some arrived in a "book" or "cd/dvd" box and some arrived in a bubble envelope. Go figure! I guess it just depended on who packed it. All arrived via UPS the next day (where the next day was a business day). Two of the cards that were shipped in a bubble envelope did arrive slightly bent ... nothing major. Probably the best way for them to ship them is in the book/dvd/cd box since none of those arrived bent. (Note: If you live at an address or are sending to an address that UPS does not deliver to OR are only able to receive items at a PO Box because you live in a rural area, you might want to check with Amazon prior to ordering a physical gift card.) Also, some times UPS/FedEx require a signature for delivery. None of the gift cards I received were shipped with a signature required, but depending on the UPS/FedEx driver and the area, a signature might be required despite Amazon shipping it with a no signature required. If this is an issue for you, I would check with Amazon and the shipper to find out the policy on this. There are generally printable signature waiver forms available on the carriers' websites that you can print, sign, and leave at your door for the driver so that they will leave your package without a signature.

5. All of the information (#1-#3) that I included in my review, Amazon now includes in the item description. I'm not sure if Amazon changed their ways, added this information after people were upset and complained, or it was there and people failed to read it. In any case, hopefully, my review helps to further clarify. It's always nice to know what your money is buying.

I have also ordered 2 printable gift certificate/cards. It was really easy ... picked the design, amount, quantity and entered my personal message. After checking out/paying, I received an e-mail from Amazon.com in a few minutes with a link for me to PRINT the card. After printing, fold the paper twice and voile an instand card with gift certificate! Super quick, easy and a really cute looking card (similar to those 4-picture square, homemade greeting cards). I used some of the envelopes from a pre-package set of thank you/birthday party cards that I had.

E-mail gift cards are really easy also. Pick your design, dollar amount and enter the recipient's e-mail address, pay and you're done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon gift card, November 15, 2010
I was given a Kindle last year for Christmas. This year, for my birthday, I requested an Amazon gift card to buy Kindle books, and my daughter sent me one. It's wonderful. I just registered it as the clear instructions indicated and a few minutes later I was reading a new book on Kindle. It's a thoughtful, timely gift that allows the recipient to choose what they would like.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine gift card, January 25, 2011
Upright Citizen (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
I found the plastic to be sturdy. I appreciated the rounded edges, which helped to avoid injury or embarrassing clothing snags while carrying it to my computer. The number was a little complicated because it also included some letters, but I was able to enter them using my keyboard with no problems. Then I shopped 'til I dropped.

5.0 out of 5 stars Arrived within 24 hours of ordering, October 10, 2010
I ordered these cards in preparation for the upcoming Holiday season. Placing the order was a breeze. I had ordered the generic gift card. My order was shipped by UPS next day air and it arrived as promised. Each envelope had the gift card attached to generic greeting card and another envelope to mail the greeting card. I did redeem some of the cards and the balance was immediately credited to my amazon account. Overall, I am satisfied with my purchase and will likely buy this again.

2.0 out of 5 stars The gift note from me wasn't in the card!?, December 21, 2010

I'd like to write directly to Amazon about this, I've sent 3 gift cards so far and all have had the same problem, no note.

2.0 out of 5 stars NEVER AGAIN!, November 16, 2010
Robert C. Leety (Bridgeport, CT USA) - See all my reviews
While I'm not your longest standing customer and certainly not your largest, I have been a very steady (and generally quite satisfied) customer of yours for well over 10 years. This order has been the largest single purchase and, by far, the worst Amazon shopping experience EVER.

Since last week I've been trying to take advantage of any available promotions on Amazon gift cards for our employees. Not only did I have trouble reaching someone to ask questions and place an order, once I did, they were really no help at all and I was redirected back to the web. So I placed the order on Thursday for delivery on Friday and must have edited the gift note sentiment at least 6 times in order to fall within the 240 character limit. We did NOT receive the cards on Friday or Saturday; as a matter of fact, if we hadn't driven to the UPS depot last night (Monday) we still wouldn't have them. After opening the package, there was no indication as to whose they were (after carefully complying with the instructions to indicate this) or what the value of the cards were (at least from the outside envelope) and there were no gift notes on any of them! Talk about "no good deed goes unpunished"!

I was attempting to (at least slightly) personalize this gift but ended up feeling like I'd just left a warehouse store with a bulk purchase of gift cards...which is exactly what I'll do next time; at least then I'll know what to expect. NEVER AGAIN!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Idea - Easy only after speaking to support., November 9, 2010
Had trouble using the gift card. During my first purchases, the checkout process did not offer an opportunity to enter the gift card number and therefore my credit card got hit with the charges. It was not readily evident that you had to go to the web site and register the card to be able to apply it to your purchase.

Many thanks to the support representative who clarified the process.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent customer service, October 12, 2010
I bought a card for my sister's birthday and put it in a drawer once it arrived. It sat there for a month or so until i purchased a greeting card for her and went to retrieve the card. It wasn't in the drawer. I contacted Amazon that evening at 9PM and within 36 hours a new card arrived at my door, delivered and replaced for free. I was very pleased with the speed at which they replaced the card and they did it for free. I would definitely purchase a gift card from them in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Envelopes sealed, November 23, 2010
I love the gift card idea - however, I ordered two cards with personalized cards for different people. The cards came in blank mailing envelopes and were SEALED! I couldn't tell which was for which. I had to open the cards and send in other envelopes. Then I saw the neither was personalized as they were supposed to have been.

2.0 out of 5 stars Gift Card... Really?, November 3, 2010
This review is from: Amazon.com Gift Cards - In a Greeting Card - Free One-Day Shipping (Paper Gift Certificate)
I was told to send my nephew a gift card from Amazon.com because he would have more options. It took 3 weeks for him to receive it ( the "item" was backordered???).. and then I was sent a note that the gift card he will receive (had not received it yet) will not be activated.. but that they expediated a new card to him that same day that would be activated. So.. now we aren't sure which card works.. and I have to explain that one works and the other one does not.... what a "great" gift : (

Rate and Discover Movies