Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Gear Up for Football Learn more
Customer Discussions > Brave New World forum

Is Amazon.com book review system flawed?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 9, 2009 9:58:15 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 15, 2009 11:05:42 AM PDT]

Posted on May 12, 2009 11:12:22 AM PDT
M. Johnson says:
Posts that are non germane can be removed by enough customers voting them not helpful or by being inappropriate to amazon. Other than that...
I think you are right.

Posted on Jun 26, 2009 9:41:26 AM PDT
Jenny Walsh says:
You're right. You know, if you haven't read the book, then the review you write won't make sense, especially in light of other reviews, which are likely to be more specific and corroborate each other in some way, regardless of the rating. I think this forces shoppers to be more critical thinkers and not expect everything they read to be true or as it seems. Now whether shoppers will actually BE critical thinkers is a whole other matter.

Posted on Sep 23, 2009 7:49:40 AM PDT
A hell of a lot less than reviews in magazines or on radio where the reviewers gets books free so incline towards a less harsh critique - same goes for Oprah, the only two books she recommended that I would second are "Pillars of the Earth' and "Middlesex".
Unless it is at such a reduced price that it does not matter I never ever purchase a book without consulting the reviews on amazon. It has saved me a fortune in dead buys.

Dudley
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Brave New World forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  May 9, 2009
Latest post:  Sep 23, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Brave New World
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Audio Cassette - March 1, 2000)
4.2 out of 5 stars (1,815)