Amazon.com STOP the selling of Fake PS3 controllers by Merchants!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 31, 2012 4:15:23 PM PDT
Amazon.com has a BIG problem with numerous fake controllers for sale from Amazon.com Merchants. Those caught selling counterfeit PS3 controllers should be dealt with harshly! Not only that but Amazon.com needs to check their own inventory for those merchants which they fulfill the shipping process for! Stay away from listings that say there is a newer version of the PS3 controller!

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 8:15:21 AM PDT
mjc0961 says:
Stop buying from third parties and start buying directly from Amazon. The fact that people think saving $5 or less is worth the risk is just astoundingly stupid. Stop being so cheap and spend the extra $5 to get it directly from Amazon so you get a real controller.

Posted on May 3, 2012 3:16:55 AM PDT
Agreed! I have never bought one from a Amazon.com Merchant because of the issue with fake controllers. ONLY buy from Amazon.com and NOT their Merchants when it comes to these controllers.

Posted on May 7, 2012 3:22:48 PM PDT
David says:
Amazon can't police people selling fake products on their website. Unfortunately this happens with a lot of electronics and there's no way Amazon can know who sells what. Any electronics with fakes floating around buy them from Amazon not marketplace sellers. Amazon doesn't sell fake electronics.

Posted on May 13, 2012 8:40:00 PM PDT
Edwin Dobles says:
The problem is when I purchased the controller it said Ships from and sold by Amazon.com....I bought a plain black dualshock supposedly from Amazon but I got a fake stick instead...One of the dead giveaways is that the label on the outside of the packaging says Deep Red but the stick is black! That and the fact that the stick is completely unusable for gameplay.

Posted on May 17, 2012 2:57:49 PM PDT
Edwin - I agree with you that sometimes fake controllers may slip through and be sold by Amazon.com. Mine was "sold and ships by Amazon.com LLC". I returned it and amazon.com gave me a full refund. When shopping on amazon.com ONLY buy from Amazon.com themselves and NOT their merchants this will decrease the likelihood of you getting a counterfeit one.

By the way, Amazon.com CAN "police" their own website and what merchants sell because they do it all the time but just need to focus more in particular in this area. Some of these merchants are posting "newer versions" of the PS3 controller and these are the ones in particular to stay away from. I verified with Sony there is no "new version" and this is a trick for buyers to click on the link and get routed to their amazon.com merchant webpage to sell you their bogus PS3 controller.

Posted on May 17, 2012 10:16:55 PM PDT
L. Freese says:
Problem is Amazon themselves are redirecting people to buying the fake controllers by indicating CLICK HERE NEWER VERSION AVAILABLE....when in fact there in NO newer version of a controller according to Sony Corporation. So you can blame Amazon for some of this for sure!

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 9:52:41 PM PDT
Just got sold a fake controller. Ugh. Gutted.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 4:40:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2012 4:44:02 PM PDT
Greg S. says:
Check out this detailed comparison of real vs. fake here: http://imgur.com/a/ZNZkj.

It includes comparisons of the box, the outside of the controller, and the inside of the controller. The most obvious flaws to look out for are the reduced white space at the top of the back of the box, and the raised LED indicator numbers (much closer to the curve between the top and front than the LEDs themselves, whereas on a genuine controller the numbers are much closer to the LEDs). Other flaws include slightly different spacing, letter style and thickness, and color gradients. If you know what you're looking for, you won't need to even remove it from the box, let alone look at its internals.

When you purchase this item, look at the narrow box on the right side of the screen entitled "More Buying Choices" and select the one that says "Amazon.com" -- you should then see "ships from and sold by Amazon.com" rather than "Sold by Scammy Scammers LLC and Fulfilled by Amazon". Sometimes you need to add it to your cart and then try to click on it that way, but as long as the price of the controller in your cart matches the one labelled "Amazon.com" in the "More Buying Choices" box, you should be good to go.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 8:26:50 AM PDT
L. Freese says:
Good LINK http://imgur.com/a/ZNZkj Thank you Greg. Really we all need to hold Amazon responsible specially if they are redirecting their customers to Newer versions of the controller when indeed the SO CALLED NEWER VERSIONS are FAKE! I was looking the other day and I think Amazon has now removed those links. But still their needs to be some accountability here.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 2:09:16 PM PDT
Nash says:
I just recently bought a controller from amazon.com and the seller is amazon is the controller real or fake im still waiting for it to arrive to my home

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 3:10:02 PM PDT
L. Freese says:
You should be ok but look at the link above in my post or Gregs post to check yours out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 3:26:04 PM PDT
Nash says:
Thank you for replying and when my controller does come i will check if its legit thanks for the links it really helped me alot

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 8:41:58 PM PDT
L. Freese says:
Your welcome....

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 7:43:22 AM PDT
Nash says:
Got my controller today and it was a real one so of anyone is deciding to buy a controller buy it from the seller amazon llc.

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 12:05:06 AM PDT
azntony921 says:
@nash thanks, I was waiting for your reply to see if the controller was legit

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 4:17:41 AM PDT
Nash says:
Your welcome

Posted on Aug 31, 2012 2:21:43 PM PDT
F. C. K. III says:
Buy only from Amazon, even if they say genuine Sony. Blue-Sky and The truth is only one camera away sell fakes. Greg's link is very helpful.

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 3:12:58 PM PDT
Dan Marx says:
Alright, so if the controller I'm getting says "ships from and sold by Amazon.com", I'm good?

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 1:45:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2012 1:46:21 PM PDT
SL says:
Just received a fake controller from a seller called "Get it here". Although I knew this was a third-party vendor, I chose it because the item was Prime-eligible and "Fulfilled by Amazon", meaning it comes from one of their fulfillment centers. I thought this would guarantee authenticity and I was wrong. I *hope* that I can re-order it and this time make sure it's FROM as well as SHIPPED BY Amazon...although, now I have zero faith in the "Fulfilled by Amazon" program. Caveat emptor.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 8:50:19 PM PST
P says:
I received a fake controller from 'Dot Electronics'.
It was also fulfilled by Amazon and sent out through Amazon Prime. I told Amazon about it, but they didn't seem to bothered that they are actively handling counterfeit merchandise.
Also reported it to Sony.
And what is my recourse? I'm supposed to repackage the item and then go out of my way to a UPS store to ship it back to Amazon to get my refund - after being sold a fake. Way to go Amazon.

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 7:02:54 AM PST
L. Freese says:
It doesn't do much good but contact the Better Business Bureau and your Attorney Generals office in your state if you have the time..............
Also make Amazon send you a pre-paid label to send the JUNK back.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 9:48:27 AM PST
M.E. says:
When you do the return say it is broken. Return shipping is free. I just got one sold and shipped by Amazon, not a third party in anyway, and it is crap. The buttons feel all wrong, and the thumbsticks are very unresponsive. I don't know if it is fake or just a dud, but I'll keep sending it back until I get one that works right.

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 3:35:43 PM PST
L. Freese says:
I personally contacted Amazon in the past and told them they were selling fakes too.
It was certain ones that said being sold by Amazon but then when you clicked on a certain color it would bring you to a second party seller. Be careful after you chose a color that it is still being sold by Amazon and its not being FULLIED by Amazon but from another seller.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 2:34:59 PM PST
It had the same problem when I bought a controller months ago. I could not do anything because I had to go back to my country.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  19
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  Mar 31, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
PlayStation 3 Dualshock 3 Wireless Controller (Black)
PlayStation 3 Dualshock 3 Wireless Controller (Black) by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation 3)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (5,223)