Amazon price listing is way, way off Whoever is posting the price on Amazon is not being truthful in the pricing.

The list price has NEVER been above $499.99. In fact, anyone that follows photography and Canon products would know that at nearly $500, this flash is likely overpriced in comparison to where it will land in months to come. It is unlikely this flash will be much of a bargain above $400 - 450, which is still in excess of the very similar unit it is replacing (the 580 EX) that costs around $350 when on sale at popular camera websites.
asked by DDA on May 7, 2007
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 answers
A
vote
So basically, it's better to go in-store to purchase this sweet piece of equipment, with limited stock than to buy online here, with a somewhat abundant stock?
C. Unonu answered on May 9, 2007

A
votes
You're right. Amazon's list price of $845.82 is way off. The local camera store, Cord Camera in Ohio, told me Canon's MSRP for the 580EX II is $439. But it's supply and demand. Try to find a 580EX or 580EX II flash on Adorama.com or B&H (bhphotovideo.com) You won't. So it's 14% market-up from those that have them to sell. That's reasonable. What isn't reasonable is expecting an online stores to say your savings is -14%. Hence the mark up on the list price and the claim that you're saving 41%. If you can find this item in stock from a reputable seller at $350, pass along the web site.
M. Lifer answered on May 15, 2007

A
vote
Amazon price is $350. List Price is set by the vendor - not Amazon. Amazon just lists the MSRP provided by the vendor. Beware of other sites listing items for less than Amazon (since Amazon does far more volume than other sites they have greater negotiating power to get the best deal) - when I see a lower price I tend to also see "out of stock"....
Boomzilla answered on November 30, 2007

A
votes
These can be had at camera stores for $335. Dont play any games w/ amazon's un-truthful pricing games for this. bhphoto.com (there are coupons to get $ off this at that store)
MaRx answered on December 5, 2007

A
vote
Actually the coupon you speak of, from B&H is not a coupon. The price they show is the price AFTER instant rebate! I suggest you visit the Canon website and it will explain how the rebate works. I hope Amazon gets them instock at the $350 again and I will be ordering it. I sold my original 580 and want the newer one for my 1D Mark 3. Esp here in Alaska, the weather sealing and that metal foot will be nice. Thanks

Kevin P
Alaskan Photo Tours and Workshops
www.PhotoTourAlaska.com
Alaskan Photo Workshops & Tours answered on December 10, 2007

A
vote
Wow, so this flash was cheaper two years ago? What is going on here?
Timespent answered on December 28, 2009

A
vote
Photography stock market...enjoy the ride. My 50mm 1.8 that I paid $92 was $72 last year.
S. Fazli answered on December 28, 2009

A
votes
Yes, I also bought my 50mm around $80's about a year ago. This flash unit was also cheaper (around $350) before Canon increased the U.S. prices on all Canon products (adjusting for Yen - $ rates?).
Joe C. answered on May 20, 2010

A
votes
Amazon has a long history of outrageous MSRPs on Canon products and thereby presenting rediculous discount %s. I understand about listings being confused with foriegn currencies, etc, but ya think ya might take a quick look at the Canon website to see if you're even close? The 580 EX II is not new to the Canon product line nor is it an upgrade. I will again point out this oversight by Amazon to Amazon and probably receive the usual obigatory lame excuse. It's annoying, misleading and somehow amazing that this particular type of frequent mistake never appears to hit lower than the correct MSRP!
'Freddie' answered on April 16, 2011
‹ Previous   1   Next ›