5.0 out of 5 stars Dispelling Myths
Mathematics easily dispels the myths and reveals the truth about speaker wire.

I'm going to create a maximum scenario to see just how well this wire works for connections.

I'll start by using a 15 foot length so you can get your speakers 20 feet apart from each other including ups, downs and around.

I'll suggest a 280 watts @ 8 ohms...
Published 3 months ago by Anthony J.

1.0 out of 5 stars I got short
The wire is great, but I was shorted 20 feet or so. I only got 80 feet. I needed 95 feet to be exact and needed extra 15 feet after done with all this. So I measure it and made sure I didnt cut the cable wrong, and guess what. I got 80 feet and 2 inches.
Published 9 months ago by Daniel

5.0 out of 5 stars Dispelling Myths, August 2, 2014
This review is from: AmazonBasics 16-Gauge Speaker Wire - 100 Feet (Electronics)
Mathematics easily dispels the myths and reveals the truth about speaker wire.

I'll suggest a 280 watts @ 8 ohms maximum for this length of wire gauge, but this isn't a fixed number, lower is no problem and a little higher would be okay.

The first "problem" you encounter is all that resistance that might change things for the worse. Now I need to calculate for 30 feet because the signal will make a round trip from positive to negative. This shows a resistance of .24 ohms or not much.

You will lose frequency response, above 42,244 kHz. But it's generally accepted that human hearing ends near 20 kHz.

It will reduce power, down to 264 watts or 94.3% and the result of that is a loss of .26 dB. By using 12 gauge these numbers do improve to 273 watts and .1 dB or by 4 %. These losses will hold true for 80 or 40 watts, which of course is more realistic in your living room. At 40 watts you'll only be able to get 37.7 watts, you might be able to just turn up the volume on your receiver to make up the loss if it's has more than 40 watts though, by 2.3 watts.

But what about the sound? I'm sorry to tell you that there is no calculation for opinion and that testing shows that any difference is less than what can be accurately measured with most test equipment.

I believe that I first did these calculations back in 1981 in tech school on my way to making my living in professional audio as a recording engineer, in sound reinforcement and as a studio owner starting in 1989 and still today. There are many other points that I could bring up, but let me just remind you that inside your speakers you likely have about 100 feet, of approximately 30 gauge aluminum wire that this wire connects to, creating the individual speakers voice coils.

The facts are, that this is all that you need for most connections around the home...and that 16 gauge is easier to work with and easier to hide....and that this amazon wire is also color coded and flexible...and that even longer surround runs will just lose a little more power that you will make up for with a tiny volume increase....and that I believe you would not notice a difference using more expensive, pure, OFC speaker wire without also using your imagination.

Other useful audio wiring products.

Velcro Reusable Self-Gripping Ties

Command Small Cord Clips

Legrand Cord Mate II Kit

If you would prefer an all copper wire instead of copper clad, (and I don't blame you, I was hesitant about this purchase) don't spend the kids college fund and just do the smallest upgrade to something Like This (I've purchased the 16 gauge). For main speakers using 25 to 50 feet of wire it is the normal type of wire that I'd use, but most just won't need 25+ feet for each side of their amp in their home. Larger gauge will have less resistance to compensate for longer lengths and pure copper reduces resistance some too. By matching the resistance of 15 feet of 16 gauge wire with 30 feet of lower resistance 14 gauge, your audio should remain identical. But please remember that this is on paper, connecting 30 feet of amazon and 6 feet of pure copper wire to studio grade equipment, in a designed room, I can not be positive that there is any difference to my ears.

I wrote one of my first reviews on amazon in protest of audio consumers getting their hard earned cash taken through advertising and amatuer advice with no factual basis, these are the facts. Here's another, the original Monster Wire was sold in only one gauge...16, with thicker insulation than other wires.

One last bit of mathematics, as of today, 97.4% of reviewers are satisfied with this purchase and of the other 2.6%, their complaints do not involve sound quality. They don't have or even need electronics degrees, they haven't learned and don't know or care about the "skin effect" and coated wire, most only know about their purchase and how well it works.....and isn't that what really matters?

This is fine wire at a good price and recommended for most situations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great price, great value., May 30, 2013
So far I don't have any complaints with this wire. Its plastic sheathing hasn't cracked and it was nice and supple. The wire itself is average for what it is. Not really any different than the competitors.

If you have a low end or middle end receiver and speakers this wire will work just fine. It's definitely better than the wire that comes with Home Theaters in a Box. But if you do have a high end receiver and speakers that use a bit of power, skip copper clad wire. It DOES make a difference and if you're spending 700-1k plus on speakers/receiver don't go cheap on the speaker wire. Get pure copper wire for those setups.

If you're like everyone else and can't afford middle to high end systems, this wire is perfect. Just be mindful that you'll probably need a fair bit more than you expect. A 100 foot roll goes FAST, even in small rooms.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wired up my surround sound!!, May 7, 2013
My only regret about this product is that I didn't buy a third roll!! I ran out and had to go spent $32 dollars for a 50' foot roll at a local store!!(I was desperate and wanted to finish wiring up my house...the attic was hot!! LOL) Sad thing is that this wire was cost a lot less and was way better quality than the $32 dollar roll!! Don't waste money on more expensive wire...this stuff is perfect!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine for most speaker wire uses, May 22, 2013
The AmazonBasics 16 gauge wiring will be fine for the average user's needs, as long as you keep the length of your run to 50 feet or less. Personally I'd go way less than 50 feet, but that's just me. Otherwise go to a thicker gauge wire like 14 AWG. Yes, this isn't true copper wire, but at this price there's no way it could be 100% copper. It's copper-coated aluminum. My Yamaha speakers sound great with this wire. It's also easy to see the difference in + and - with these, the white wire is definitely discernible.

1.0 out of 5 stars I got short, February 13, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Why spend more?, August 29, 2013
Sure, it's copper clad aluminum (even if it doesn't say so anywhere, when you cut it you'll see). I won't argue against pure copper technically being better, even if you probably can't hear the difference anyway. That said, this is decent wire in a decent sized 16 gauge. It's more than beefy enough for most people and best of all, cheap. This isn't some puny supplied speaker wire you'd find in some HTIB sets. I went for the 100 feet to wire a 5 speaker system in a large apartment living room and I'm glad I did. Giving each speaker some extra slack for future placement I used every bit of that 100 feet. When I get two more speakers to get full use of my 7.2 channel receiver I'll have to pick up another 50 feet. One side is marked with a white stripe to tell polarity apart. I'm very happy with all aspects of this wire.

5.0 out of 5 stars decent quality great price, April 5, 2014
although i have over the years been duped into spending way too much on high end speaker cables as I have gotten older and either wiser or maybe just cheaper I have found 16 gauge speaker wire to be as good as spending huge amounts of cash on the more hyped variety such as Kimber Kable ,Monster etc .

I usually buy standard lamp cord but lately i prefer the look of this type of wire because it is easier to get the polarity right ,this is the first time I have purchased the Amazon branded wire and after cutting to length and adding some banana plugs you end up with very good speaker cables at a price that will not bury you .

I am an audio geek so I have a multitude of high end Amplifiers and a totl Yamaha receiver and guarantee if you blind a/b test this wire against my high end speaker cables you will not be able to tell the difference .

16 gauge wire is the sweet spot where if you buy smaller you can tell the difference but any larger is overkill where you end up with diminished returns .

so take the cash you would blow on high end speaker cables and spend it on better speakers where you truly will have difference in sound quality because the placebo effect is overrated......

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Amazon Basics!, February 24, 2014
Whomever thought up Amazon Basics deserves a raise! I've bought speaker wire, HDMI cables, RCA cables, USB cables. They work flawlessly and are a fraction of the cost of name brand cables. Don't spend your hard earned cash on expensive cables just because they have a fancy name. Amazon Basics cables do the job at a fraction of the cost!

4.0 out of 5 stars All wired up, May 30, 2014
You get just a little over 100 feet, my one roll was 103 feet while the other was 105. Gives a little room to trim and crimp without losing your 100 footer length. The Positive side is a little hard to see with a faint white line on the clear coating. If they made the marking with red instead of white, this would be a perfect product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Price, June 25, 2014
Works well for my Sony 1000 watt receiver and 7 satellite speakers, better price than most. I should have bought a larger spool but that's my fault, other than that great product and I will def order again when the time comes.

AmazonBasics 16-Gauge Speaker Wire - 100 Feet