5.0 out of 5 stars Wired up my surround sound!!
Published 16 months ago by S Reese

1.0 out of 5 stars I got short
The wire is great, but I was shorted 20 feet or so. I only got 80 feet. I needed 95 feet to be exact and needed extra 15 feet after done with all this. So I measure it and made sure I didnt cut the cable wrong, and guess what. I got 80 feet and 2 inches.
Published 7 months ago by Daniel

5.0 out of 5 stars Wired up my surround sound!!, May 7, 2013
This review is from: AmazonBasics 16-Gauge Speaker Wire - 100 Feet (Electronics)
My only regret about this product is that I didn't buy a third roll!! I ran out and had to go spent $32 dollars for a 50' foot roll at a local store!!(I was desperate and wanted to finish wiring up my house...the attic was hot!! LOL) Sad thing is that this wire was cost a lot less and was way better quality than the $32 dollar roll!! Don't waste money on more expensive wire...this stuff is perfect!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great price, great value., May 30, 2013
So far I don't have any complaints with this wire. Its plastic sheathing hasn't cracked and it was nice and supple. The wire itself is average for what it is. Not really any different than the competitors.

If you have a low end or middle end receiver and speakers this wire will work just fine. It's definitely better than the wire that comes with Home Theaters in a Box. But if you do have a high end receiver and speakers that use a bit of power, skip copper clad wire. It DOES make a difference and if you're spending 700-1k plus on speakers/receiver don't go cheap on the speaker wire. Get pure copper wire for those setups.

If you're like everyone else and can't afford middle to high end systems, this wire is perfect. Just be mindful that you'll probably need a fair bit more than you expect. A 100 foot roll goes FAST, even in small rooms.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine for most speaker wire uses, May 22, 2013
Yarii (fifty shades of blonde) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
The AmazonBasics 16 gauge wiring will be fine for the average user's needs, as long as you keep the length of your run to 50 feet or less. Personally I'd go way less than 50 feet, but that's just me. Otherwise go to a thicker gauge wire like 14 AWG. Yes, this isn't true copper wire, but at this price there's no way it could be 100% copper. It's copper-coated aluminum. My Yamaha speakers sound great with this wire. It's also easy to see the difference in + and - with these, the white wire is definitely discernible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dispelling Myths, August 2, 2014
Mathematics easily dispels the myths and reveals the truth about speaker wire.

I'm going to create a maximum scenario to see just how well this wire works for connections.

I'll start by using a 15 foot length so you can get your speakers 20 feet apart from each other including ups, downs and around.

I'll suggest a 280 watts @ 8 ohms maximum for this length of wire gauge, but this isn't a fixed number, lower is no problem and a little higher would be okay.

The first "problem" you encounter is all that resistance that might change things for the worse. Now I need to calculate for 30 feet because the signal will make a round trip from positive to negative. This shows a resistance of .24 ohms or not much.

You will lose frequency response, above 42,244 kHz. But it's generally accepted that human hearing ends near 20 kHz.

It will reduce power, down to 264 watts or 94.3% and the result of that is a loss of .26 dB. By using 12 gauge these numbers do improve to 273 watts and .1 dB or by 4 %. These losses will hold true for 80 or 40 watts, which of course is more realistic in your living room. At 40 watts you'll only be able to get 37.7 watts, you might be able to just turn up the volume on your receiver to make up the loss if it's has more than 40 watts though, by 2.3 watts.

But what about the sound? I'm sorry to tell you that there is no calculation for opinion and that testing shows that any difference is less than what can be accurately measured with most test equipment.

I believe that I first did these calculations back in 1981 in tech school on my way to making my living in professional audio as a recording engineer, in sound reinforcement and a studio owner starting in 1989 and still today.

The facts are, that this is all you need around the home and that 16 gauge is easier to work with and hide away. Even longer surround runs will just lose a little more power that you make up for with a tiny volume increase. Do you recall seeing any headlines stating that a house fire was caused by speaker wire?

This is fine wire at a good price and recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars I got short, February 13, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars decent quality great price, April 5, 2014
although i have over the years been duped into spending way too much on high end speaker cables as I have gotten older and either wiser or maybe just cheaper I have found 16 gauge speaker wire to be as good as spending huge amounts of cash on the more hyped variety such as Kimber Kable ,Monster etc .

I usually buy standard lamp cord but lately i prefer the look of this type of wire because it is easier to get the polarity right ,this is the first time I have purchased the Amazon branded wire and after cutting to length and adding some banana plugs you end up with very good speaker cables at a price that will not bury you .

I am an audio geek so I have a multitude of high end Amplifiers and a totl Yamaha receiver and guarantee if you blind a/b test this wire against my high end speaker cables you will not be able to tell the difference .

16 gauge wire is the sweet spot where if you buy smaller you can tell the difference but any larger is overkill where you end up with diminished returns .

so take the cash you would blow on high end speaker cables and spend it on better speakers where you truly will have difference in sound quality because the placebo effect is overrated......

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Amazon Basics!, February 24, 2014
Whomever thought up Amazon Basics deserves a raise! I've bought speaker wire, HDMI cables, RCA cables, USB cables. They work flawlessly and are a fraction of the cost of name brand cables. Don't spend your hard earned cash on expensive cables just because they have a fancy name. Amazon Basics cables do the job at a fraction of the cost!

4.0 out of 5 stars Its not the name that counts, January 1, 2014
Amazon matches quality grade speaker wire that compares with any name brand....and beats prices of their competitors.Works for me and it could work for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Wire at Unbeatable Price, February 18, 2014
My speaker wire was delivered on time and was nicely packaged. I used it to upgrade the wire that came with my new Onkyo 5.1 system. I ran the wire under my carpet to my two surround speakers, as well as to my subwoofer. I could immediate tell a difference from the very cheap wire that came with my Onkyo HT-S3500 system, especially from the passive subwoofer.
I didn't quite have enough wire to run to all of my speakers, so I went to a home improvement store to buy another spool of wire and discovered that it was priced at more than double the price of the Amazon wire. Save some cash and a trip to the store and buy an extra roll next time you order!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wire's fine, color is off, May 26, 2014
The wire itself is a great deal - 5 stars for that! No issues with audio, even though we're running 50ft lengths of it.

However, the color of the wire isn't quite like the picture. It's not nearly as white (which is what I was hoping) - it's actually more of a brown/gold, which doesn't look nearly as good on my wall. Keep that in mind if the color matters for your use case.

Hope that helps!