1,094 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars As Perfect & Utilitarian As A Tripod Can Be!!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 8:07 Mins
I absolutely LOVE this tripod. I have no clue how such a versatile tripod can go for so low...but hey just one more reason to LOVE Amazon.com!!

As you can see I have no arms so I need a tripod that is lightweight but full on perks...this tripod is EVERYTHING I hoped for & then some!!!!

It is VERY easy to operate from...
Published 12 months ago by M. W. Trimble

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Not Inexpensive
I've had several Amazon Basics' items since the line was introduced. Most have been quite good. Unfortunately this tripod wasn't one of them.

The feel is cheap and plastic-y. I wasn't expecting bearings in the pan-head but the plastic on plastic mechanisms are terrible.

Published on January 27, 2012 by Keith Blodgett

5.0 out of 5 stars As Perfect & Utilitarian As A Tripod Can Be!!, January 25, 2014
M. W. Trimble (pittsburgh, pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AmazonBasics 60-Inch Lightweight Tripod with Bag (Electronics)
Length:: 8:07 Mins

It is VERY easy to operate from manipulating the height to changing the swivel points for various angles. The knobs are nice & big making screwing/unscrewing very easy & effortless.

I got this for my Makayama iPad case & it works seamlessly with it.

Great product! Great pricing!! Thanks Amazon!!!!

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Starter or Spare Tripod - Great Value for the Buck!, January 25, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
One can never have "too many" tripods but few things are more infuriating than a poorly designed tripod. It's always a balancing act to find a starter or spare tripod that is affordable without being "cheap". This strikes a nice balance between affordability and function.

If you are looking at this tripod then you probably have also viewed the Vista Explorer Tripod Vista Explorer 60-Inch Lightweight Tripod with Tripod Bag. I've owned the Vista tripod (and I'm the top reviewer for it) for over three years and will say right up front, this AmazonBasics tripod is VERY similar in style, function and features. Both are affordable options that make a perfect starter, secondary or spare tripod although at the time of this writing, the Amazon tripod is actually less expensive!

Features:
Tripod bag - No, not a necessity but it's nice to have a tripod bag and frankly, the cost of most bags is nearly that of this entire unit so you really can't go wrong. This tripod bag (and the tripod) do say "AmazonBasics" so prepare to do a bit of advertising for Amazon in exchange for a great price and highly functional unit.

Quick Connect - Yes, this tripod does include a quick disconnect feature. The camera screws on top and then a lever releases/connects the plate.

Quick Hang Hook - Nice addition for those that desire it.

Ability to set-up on non level surfaces. There is small level built in to this unit which is a change from the Vista unit (perhaps that has been added in the past several years but mine is several years old). However, the level is small and hard to see so of fairly limited potential except in good lighting.

Rotates in all directions - fairly smooth but certainly not professional quality.

Ability to hold a decent sized DSLR - not just a lightweight point and shoot.

Carry handle - pick up and move easily.

Lightweight but with solid spread and decent height. Again, this is not a professional solution whatsoever but for the average hobbiest or someone that needs a spare to toss in the vehicle, this tripod will get the job done.

Really can't beat the price and features! Super starter, spare or secondary tripod.

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic but solid quality for non professional duty, May 7, 2012
I've attached several different items from small point-and-shoots to large sized camcorders(3lbs). All the different sized cameras have remained steady on this tripod.

When used with a larger sized camcorder, I did have to make a few more adjustments in order to keep everything firm. There are many different adjustments you can make in order to change the height, angle, slope, etc.

The feel of this tripod is good, but not great. Everything is basic and gets the job done but don't expect super quality. If you are looking for professional level quality, then look elsewhere; but if you just need something simple but solid, this will do.

Update(Oct 10, 2012): I've been using this tripod for a little over 5 months and everything continues to function very well. I've been using mainly moderate to smaller sized cameras with this tripod.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Not Inexpensive, January 27, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

I tested this item with my Kodak Z990 digital camera. It weighs approx. 21 oz. with batteries.

The camera mount has a good rubber pad for your camera to sit on and the tightening screw has a butterfly head so no screwdriver or coins are needed to attach/detach the mount from the camera. The mount attaches to the tripod with a spring-loaded release arm. There is actually very little contact area on the tripod itself (only two corners) holding the mount in place, also the release arm does NOT have a safety catch.

Pan Functionality - Fully tightened down I can still, with not much effort, swing the head from left to right. Fully loosened the motion is heavy and awkward easily upsetting the tripod's position. Tightening this knob fully actually interferes with the...

Tilt Functionality - The action is not much better here. You can lock the tilt angle into place and it does stay there. There's just as much plastic on plastic drag when in motion. The arm is generously long and comfortable to grip. The side-tilt mechanism goes reasonably easily from flat to 90°. It does not lock in place well.

Leg Functionality - The legs extend and retract with mild effort. They lock into place firmly. With just the larger leg section extended the tripod is fairly sturdy. Extending the smaller leg sections dramatically increases wobble. There is a weight/gear hook for added stabilization but it is plastic and feels easily broken. The swiveling rubber feet are innovative but only held on by friction and can easily become detached. The center stabilizer locks and unlocks easily with only a quarter turn and holds in place well. There is a serviceable carry handle attached to the leg mount section.

The tripod has two bubble levels. The first, a small button level is at the top of one of the leg mounts. The second, a tube level, is just under and inch long and is under and partially obscured by the camera mount. With a camera attached it becomes useless.

The center section extends and lowers via a crank mechanisms and locks in place with a plastic collar. There is no positive safety lock. Loosen the collar and your camera comes down rapidly on its own. Extending your camera this way will only increase the instability of this tripod.

The included carry bag reflects the quality of it's tripod. Its material is unpadded and thin. It has no extra pockets and the half-inch nylon shoulder strap is also unpadded making it rather uncomfortable to carry.

In conclusion... I wouldn't recommend this tripod even as a starter for someone just getting into photography it will only add frustration to the experience. Spend a little more and get a far better tripod or spend a little less and get something of equal quality.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good tripod, but very stiff, February 15, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is my 4th tripod and I have been using inexpensive tripods for my casual photography. The problems that I have had from low price tripods are stability issue and not-so-smooth operations. In terms of the stability, this tripod is quite good. Everything is firm and the locking mechanism is solid. The plastic material used in this tripod did not give me high quality feel, however the aluminium parts were pretty slick and nice for the price. When it comes to smoothness, this tripod is very stiff. Whenever I tried to pan or to tilt the camera, I had to give much pressure to move and as a result, the video that was taken had stuttered motions. No matter how much I release the knobs to tight the parts, moving of the head and other parts is still stiff. I do not know if it is the problem of the tripod I received only. By the way, I have been using it for 4 weeks and the smoothness did not get improved until now.

Other than the stiffness, I am OK with this tripod. The one thing that I really like is that it comes with a nice case. And the two bubble levels helped me a lot to level the tripod. My other tripods have only one bubble level. For the price, this is a good tripod and I wish the tripod gets smoother.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it needs if you keep expectations low, June 1, 2012
Let's face facts. If you're spending less than $100 for a tripod, it's not going to be exceptional. This is a cheap tripod in both price and quality. Without a doubt, the worst part is the head. Side-to-side motion is relatively smooth, but up-and-down action is definitely plastic-on-plastic and is not smooth at all. Again, for the cost of the tripod, this is to be expected.

That said, if you need it for stationary photography or video recording, it will do exactly what you need as a low cost. I plan on using this for a stationary, alternate-angle camera for my high school's graduation. Why should I spend any more than this for a camera support that won't move? In that regard, this tripod is a fantastic value!

The tripod feels solid enough. I didn't get an impression that it would fall apart if you breathe on it improperly, which is actually better than I expected when you consider the price.

Just remember that you get what you pay for, and this tripod is no excption. If you need a solid tripod with a smooth, fluid head, this isn't it. If you need a basic tripod for lightweight duty that doesn't feel flimsy right out of the box, you can't beat the price on this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent first tripod, March 6, 2014
My new point and shoot camera may be cheap but it can take Full HD videos and wide-angle hi-res still shots. I plan to annoy my friends, family, and fishing buddies by taking Full HD videos of them. For that I need a tripod. Nobody likes shaky videos.

I was surprised to learn how affordable such a useful accessory can be so before spent my 27 bucks I watched some utoob videos on how to select and use a tripod (I think I might need a monopod too!). And, of course I read the Amazon user reviews. Only SEVEN one-star reviews, as I write this, against 246 5-star reviews. The few bad reviews seemed to concern the tripod being shaky when the center tube extension was cranked up and/or the total lack of instructions.I think the two issues are related and Amazon could eliminate 5 of the 7 bad reviews by including instructions. The center tube IS shaky, even when it's all the way down, until you tighten the collar.

I had never touched a tripod before this one. It's not hard to figure out but don't clip your new camera into the quick release mount until you are sure you know how to remove and replace the mounting plate and FULLY lock the cam lever. That may be why one of the 7 reviewers that gave one star was unhappy. I have uploaded some photos to the gallery that might help locate all the locks and to tell when the quick release is seated.

Since I'm not going to be recording combat or Kardashians this Amazon Basic unit will do just fine. It's light,well made, sets up or takes down easily, and, when all the locks are tightened, very steady.

The professionals recommend hanging some weight from the center hook because it keeps the wind from wiggling everything and makes the whole assemble more resistant being knocked over by fishing buddies, especially on uneven ground. The professionals recommend using your camera bag but I plan on trying a bucket of ice and a six-pack.

With the center tube cranked all the way up the lens of my camera is 63 1/2 inches high. The quick release feature will be handy for swapping to a small telescope. It's not really quick at all if you don't have a second mounting plate and need to unscrew the plate from the camera and screw it onto the scope. The Velbon QB-4W Quick Release Platform fits the base and is nearly identical to the original plate.

I bought this tripod for my second digital camera, which is about half the size of my first one. I know there are brackets available that let you use the camera in your cell phone or tablet. You can mount spotter scopes or binoculars too. Who knows what cameras will look like 5 years from now, but I bet they will have a screw mount in the bottom and a tripod will still be a good idea.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice camera stand at a low price, December 23, 2012
I was on the fence about buying this camera stand for fear of it being junk, but it's actually very good. Unfortunately it comes with no manual on how to use it. Having never used a tripod, I had some initial trouble.

Here are some things I stumbled though when using it:
* there is a hand crank located on the side for height adjustment
* there is a clasp near the feet that allows for more height adjustment -- individually for each leg
* the main handle is used like a screw to allow movement: unscrew (counter-clockwise) to loosen and allow adjustments, and screw to keep it locked in place

There are some nice features such as a handle to carry it, a hook on the bottom to hang it, and a detachable base so you can leave it screwed to your camera while not using the stand.

Not noted in the description, but the base uses a 1/4" screw.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are looking for an expensive and super steady tripod, why are you looking at this one?, June 30, 2014
I read some reviews that stated that this tripod wasn't sturdy enough. Probably true if you are going to use it to prop up your car as you change a flat tire, or if you are on safari and are using it as a rest for your elephant gun. As for me, I use it to keep my camera steady, and it does a fine job of that. I do have several tripods that are much more sturdy than this one is, and I will continue to use them when it is necessary. This one however fast became my favorite. It is light, relatively compact, easy and quick to set up. It's also available at a very good price. I also read some reviews that this is not the tripod to use for video. That it is very jerky when panning. That is partially true, but assuming that mine is the same as yours, all I had to do to get excellent smooth panning action was to loosen the adjustment rod a bit more than I would have thought necessary, and then mine pans smooth as silk. Those of you who need an expensive, very sturdy tripod, are simply looking in the wrong place. This one is for those of us who just need a relatively good tripod that you don't have to bend halfway to the ground to be able to use, and that won't empty out your wallet. I like it a lot.

1.0 out of 5 stars Flimsy all around, but makes a decent pseudo Flycam., April 3, 2014
**NEVER USE A DSLR ON THIS WITHOUT KEEPING THE NECK STRAP AROUND YOU FOR SAFETY!**

The leg locks are a joke and appear liable to give way at any second.
The material is lightweight the same way an origami tripod would be lightweight. Stability is NOT to be trusted.

The head, despite its palpably cheap manufacturing, seems to lock down ok. And though it's movement is NOT VIDEO FRIENDLY, practice and you can get a fluid enough shot if you absolutely have no other choice. I'm keeping this just in case I have to shoot on a sandy beach or anywhere that my good tripod might get wet or gritty or otherwise ruined.

I played around with this as a pseudo-Flycam, extending the neck for a grip and keeping the spreader open for ballast -- results weren't awful considering.

I may just epoxy the legs in 3/4 extension to use for time-lapse or an LED light stand, and just crank the neck for it's 10" or so of vertical play.

But honestly, a $60 tripod may be 3x the cost, but don't forget $60 is still not a lot of money and you can get a pretty nice prosumer tripod at that point. This one, like all super cheap tripods, are crap made for non-photographers who want a selfie now and then, and newbies who are about to learn a valuable lesson about "bargains."

NOTE: I love a GOOD bargain and have lots of lower cost aftermarket gear that does the job. However, you only find the decent stuff when you've done your homework and researched the best deals from people who use it like you intend to. I make short films with a DSLR and do still photography for kicks. This tripod isn't suited for either. Fine for an iPhone, but nothing bigger.

AmazonBasics 60-Inch Lightweight Tripod with Bag