Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on DOTD

Package Type: Frustration-Free PackagingChange

on January 25, 2014
I absolutely LOVE this tripod. I have no clue how such a versatile tripod can go for so low...but hey just one more reason to LOVE!!

As you can see I have no arms so I need a tripod that is lightweight but full on perks...this tripod is EVERYTHING I hoped for & then some!!!!

It is VERY easy to operate from manipulating the height to changing the swivel points for various angles. The knobs are nice & big making screwing/unscrewing very easy & effortless.

I got this for my Makayama iPad case & it works seamlessly with it.

Great product! Great pricing!! Thanks Amazon!!!!

review image review image review image review image
7878 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERon January 25, 2012
Package Type: Frustration-Free PackagingVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
One can never have "too many" tripods but few things are more infuriating than a poorly designed tripod. It's always a balancing act to find a starter or spare tripod that is affordable without being "cheap". This strikes a nice balance between affordability and function.

If you are looking at this tripod then you probably have also viewed the Vista Explorer Tripod Vista Explorer 60-Inch Lightweight Tripod with Tripod Bag. I've owned the Vista tripod (and I'm the top reviewer for it) for over three years and will say right up front, this AmazonBasics tripod is VERY similar in style, function and features. Both are affordable options that make a perfect starter, secondary or spare tripod although at the time of this writing, the Amazon tripod is actually less expensive!

Tripod bag - No, not a necessity but it's nice to have a tripod bag and frankly, the cost of most bags is nearly that of this entire unit so you really can't go wrong. This tripod bag (and the tripod) do say "AmazonBasics" so prepare to do a bit of advertising for Amazon in exchange for a great price and highly functional unit.

Quick Connect - Yes, this tripod does include a quick disconnect feature. The camera screws on top and then a lever releases/connects the plate.

Quick Hang Hook - Nice addition for those that desire it.

Ability to set-up on non level surfaces. There is small level built in to this unit which is a change from the Vista unit (perhaps that has been added in the past several years but mine is several years old). However, the level is small and hard to see so of fairly limited potential except in good lighting.

Rotates in all directions - fairly smooth but certainly not professional quality.

Ability to hold a decent sized DSLR - not just a lightweight point and shoot.

Carry handle - pick up and move easily.

Lightweight but with solid spread and decent height. Again, this is not a professional solution whatsoever but for the average hobbiest or someone that needs a spare to toss in the vehicle, this tripod will get the job done.

Really can't beat the price and features! Super starter, spare or secondary tripod.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 7, 2012
I've attached several different items from small point-and-shoots to large sized camcorders(3lbs). All the different sized cameras have remained steady on this tripod.

When used with a larger sized camcorder, I did have to make a few more adjustments in order to keep everything firm. There are many different adjustments you can make in order to change the height, angle, slope, etc.

The feel of this tripod is good, but not great. Everything is basic and gets the job done but don't expect super quality. If you are looking for professional level quality, then look elsewhere; but if you just need something simple but solid, this will do.

Update(Oct 10, 2012): I've been using this tripod for a little over 5 months and everything continues to function very well. I've been using mainly moderate to smaller sized cameras with this tripod.
VINE VOICEon January 27, 2012
I've had several Amazon Basics' items since the line was introduced. Most have been quite good. Unfortunately this tripod wasn't one of them.

The feel is cheap and plastic-y. I wasn't expecting bearings in the pan-head but the plastic on plastic mechanisms are terrible.

I tested this item with my Kodak Z990 digital camera. It weighs approx. 21 oz. with batteries.

The camera mount has a good rubber pad for your camera to sit on and the tightening screw has a butterfly head so no screwdriver or coins are needed to attach/detach the mount from the camera. The mount attaches to the tripod with a spring-loaded release arm. There is actually very little contact area on the tripod itself (only two corners) holding the mount in place, also the release arm does NOT have a safety catch.

Pan Functionality - Fully tightened down I can still, with not much effort, swing the head from left to right. Fully loosened the motion is heavy and awkward easily upsetting the tripod's position. Tightening this knob fully actually interferes with the...

Tilt Functionality - The action is not much better here. You can lock the tilt angle into place and it does stay there. There's just as much plastic on plastic drag when in motion. The arm is generously long and comfortable to grip. The side-tilt mechanism goes reasonably easily from flat to 90°. It does not lock in place well.

Leg Functionality - The legs extend and retract with mild effort. They lock into place firmly. With just the larger leg section extended the tripod is fairly sturdy. Extending the smaller leg sections dramatically increases wobble. There is a weight/gear hook for added stabilization but it is plastic and feels easily broken. The swiveling rubber feet are innovative but only held on by friction and can easily become detached. The center stabilizer locks and unlocks easily with only a quarter turn and holds in place well. There is a serviceable carry handle attached to the leg mount section.

The tripod has two bubble levels. The first, a small button level is at the top of one of the leg mounts. The second, a tube level, is just under and inch long and is under and partially obscured by the camera mount. With a camera attached it becomes useless.

The center section extends and lowers via a crank mechanisms and locks in place with a plastic collar. There is no positive safety lock. Loosen the collar and your camera comes down rapidly on its own. Extending your camera this way will only increase the instability of this tripod.

The included carry bag reflects the quality of it's tripod. Its material is unpadded and thin. It has no extra pockets and the half-inch nylon shoulder strap is also unpadded making it rather uncomfortable to carry.

In conclusion... I wouldn't recommend this tripod even as a starter for someone just getting into photography it will only add frustration to the experience. Spend a little more and get a far better tripod or spend a little less and get something of equal quality.
3333 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 30, 2015
This thing is a ridiculous piece of junk.The legs are made of very thin and cheap plastic. When I was using it, two legs were broken , and my camera Nikon D 7000 fell down and damaged!!!! Who is going to cover the reparation cost?????
review image review image review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 6, 2014
My new point and shoot camera may be cheap but it can take Full HD videos and wide-angle hi-res still shots. I plan to annoy my friends, family, and fishing buddies by taking Full HD videos of them. For that I need a tripod. Nobody likes shaky videos.

I was surprised to learn how affordable such a useful accessory can be so before spent my 27 bucks I watched some utoob videos on how to select and use a tripod (I think I might need a monopod too!). And, of course I read the Amazon user reviews. Only SEVEN one-star reviews, as I write this, against 246 5-star reviews. The few bad reviews seemed to concern the tripod being shaky when the center tube extension was cranked up and/or the total lack of instructions.I think the two issues are related and Amazon could eliminate 5 of the 7 bad reviews by including instructions. The center tube IS shaky, even when it's all the way down, until you tighten the collar.

I had never touched a tripod before this one. It's not hard to figure out but don't clip your new camera into the quick release mount until you are sure you know how to remove and replace the mounting plate and FULLY lock the cam lever. That may be why one of the 7 reviewers that gave one star was unhappy. I have uploaded some photos to the gallery that might help locate all the locks and to tell when the quick release is seated.

Since I'm not going to be recording combat or Kardashians this Amazon Basic unit will do just fine. It's light,well made, sets up or takes down easily, and, when all the locks are tightened, very steady.

The professionals recommend hanging some weight from the center hook because it keeps the wind from wiggling everything and makes the whole assemble more resistant being knocked over by fishing buddies, especially on uneven ground. The professionals recommend using your camera bag but I plan on trying a bucket of ice and a six-pack.

With the center tube cranked all the way up the lens of my camera is 63 1/2 inches high. The quick release feature will be handy for swapping to a small telescope. It's not really quick at all if you don't have a second mounting plate and need to unscrew the plate from the camera and screw it onto the scope. The Velbon QB-4W Quick Release Platform fits the base and is nearly identical to the original plate.

I bought this tripod for my second digital camera, which is about half the size of my first one. I know there are brackets available that let you use the camera in your cell phone or tablet. You can mount spotter scopes or binoculars too. Who knows what cameras will look like 5 years from now, but I bet they will have a screw mount in the bottom and a tripod will still be a good idea.
review image review image
VINE VOICEon February 15, 2012
This is my 4th tripod and I have been using inexpensive tripods for my casual photography. The problems that I have had from low price tripods are stability issue and not-so-smooth operations. In terms of the stability, this tripod is quite good. Everything is firm and the locking mechanism is solid. The plastic material used in this tripod did not give me high quality feel, however the aluminium parts were pretty slick and nice for the price. When it comes to smoothness, this tripod is very stiff. Whenever I tried to pan or to tilt the camera, I had to give much pressure to move and as a result, the video that was taken had stuttered motions. No matter how much I release the knobs to tight the parts, moving of the head and other parts is still stiff. I do not know if it is the problem of the tripod I received only. By the way, I have been using it for 4 weeks and the smoothness did not get improved until now.

Other than the stiffness, I am OK with this tripod. The one thing that I really like is that it comes with a nice case. And the two bubble levels helped me a lot to level the tripod. My other tripods have only one bubble level. For the price, this is a good tripod and I wish the tripod gets smoother.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 23, 2012
I was on the fence about buying this camera stand for fear of it being junk, but it's actually very good. Unfortunately it comes with no manual on how to use it. Having never used a tripod, I had some initial trouble.

Here are some things I stumbled though when using it:
* there is a hand crank located on the side for height adjustment
* there is a clasp near the feet that allows for more height adjustment -- individually for each leg
* the main handle is used like a screw to allow movement: unscrew (counter-clockwise) to loosen and allow adjustments, and screw to keep it locked in place

There are some nice features such as a handle to carry it, a hook on the bottom to hang it, and a detachable base so you can leave it screwed to your camera while not using the stand.

Not noted in the description, but the base uses a 1/4" screw.
on February 6, 2014
The Amazon Basics 60-inch Tripod with Bag is quite nice. It does everything I need for bird photography out my picture window, and then some.

So I have 2 devices I want to interchange. And the tripod comes with only ONE quick release plate. I called and searched these comments - NO LUCK.

So I took a risk and ordered the Velbon QB-4W. IT WORKS FINE.

So ordinarily 4 to 5 stars, downgraded to 3 because of shoddiness in supplying parts or even helping us find parts.
on June 30, 2014
I read some reviews that stated that this tripod wasn't sturdy enough. Probably true if you are going to use it to prop up your car as you change a flat tire, or if you are on safari and are using it as a rest for your elephant gun. As for me, I use it to keep my camera steady, and it does a fine job of that. I do have several tripods that are much more sturdy than this one is, and I will continue to use them when it is necessary. This one however fast became my favorite. It is light, relatively compact, easy and quick to set up. It's also available at a very good price. I also read some reviews that this is not the tripod to use for video. That it is very jerky when panning. That is partially true, but assuming that mine is the same as yours, all I had to do to get excellent smooth panning action was to loosen the adjustment rod a bit more than I would have thought necessary, and then mine pans smooth as silk. Those of you who need an expensive, very sturdy tripod, are simply looking in the wrong place. This one is for those of us who just need a relatively good tripod that you don't have to bend halfway to the ground to be able to use, and that won't empty out your wallet. I like it a lot.