1,291 Reviews

Published on August 25, 2011 by Bob Feeser

3.0 out of 5 stars Great For Home Use, Iffy For Business
As a person who owns their own business I am in constant need of a shredder, and because of this need I go through them like I go through socks. Often.

Published on September 14, 2011 by Misty Baker

3.0 out of 5 stars Great For Home Use, Iffy For Business, September 14, 2011
This review is from: AmazonBasics 8-Sheet Strip-Cut Paper, CD, and Credit Card Shredder (Office Product)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

I decided to take a chance on this shredder for 1 reason. My current shredder took a trip shredder heaven (aka it went up in smoke and is now acting as more of a corner catch-all than a functioning piece of equipment.

Anyways, here are the pros and cons I have discovered over the last few weeks.

Pros:

*It's compact
*It shreds "paper" like a dream (even if it will only take 8 or so sheets at a time) The motor speed is crazy fast
*Easy to set up, Easy to use.
*The shredder head detaches from the top of the basket making clean up/out a snap.

Cons:
*Even though it has a slip for cards/CD's it struggles to shred them. (I found myself having to feed them though at least 2 times before they were properly demolished.)
*It's not a cross-cut shredder which is a bit of an issue if you are running a business that deals in highly classified or sensitive material. (This is obviously not an issue if you are just using if for basic bills or junk mail.)
*When the bin/basket is full the motor will continually run. (Don't know why...but it's a fact.)

All in all...I think it's a reasonably price shredder for home use, but is lacking for anyone needing a business shredder.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want a precision strip-cut shredder this is the one to get, August 25, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a long history of shredders. I bought a Royal first. Then I got a Fellowes that was in the same price range as this one and it doesn't hold a candle to it. First off the Fellowes slows down if you run more than 2 sheets of paper through it at a time. This unit will slightly slow down when running multiple sheets but does 8 at a time without any problem. It is however a strip cut so it is obviously not a level 5 security machine. (Level 5 means you turn the document into smoke :-)

I also bought a MS-460Ci 100% Jam Proof Micro-Cut Shredder(sold individuall) and that is a level 4 that turns your documents into fine confetti; way more than the typical cross cut shredder. Of course with that fine of a cut it limits how much you can put in it at one time. I just placed an AARP envelope unopened and it started to take it, then stopped halfway with a red light lit, and then proceeded to finish the job after the pause.

This Amazon Basics 8-sheet ripped right through 2 envelopes unopened, and only slightly slowed down. That is the big advantage of strip-cuts, they don't have as tough of a job to do, and that results in the max performance for the least amount of money.

I also wanted to mention that this unit from Amazon Basics also sounds like a precision machine. The whir of the motor while it is doing its job is much better than what you would expect at this price point. This unit is not large so it fits snugly under a desk if need be. It looks attractive. Be sure to oil it. So if you are looking for a good unit for an extremely attractive price, and don't need level 5 security then this is for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic Strip-Cut Shredder Ideal For Home Use, September 24, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a handy little shredder for casual use in your home. It doesn't technically "shred" your documents, but cuts them into narrow enough strips that they'd be tough to piece back together. It's small, efficient, and not too noisy.

The stated capacity for shredding is 8 sheets at one time. The manual warns of "extensive damage" to the shredder if you exceed that capacity, so if you anticipate heavier usage, you'll want to look into getting a more powerful shredder.

The CD destroyer of course renders the CD unreadable. I was less confident about the credit card feature. It produced 9 strips, two of which could be placed together to get my entire credit card number.

The shredder will handle staples and small paper clips, but it will live longer if you remove paper clips before shredding your documents.
Here's what the Instructions Manual says about other materials:
"Never shred large paper clips, window or insulated envelopes, continuous forms, newsprint, transparencies, laminated documents, cardboard, any items with adhesives, hard materials or plastic (except credit cards and CDs)."

I haven't yet had a paper jam, so I haven't used the Reverse mode. The manual does provide detailed instructions for what to do if Reverse isn't enough to clear a jam.

Once-a-month maintenance is easy, and is required to keep the one-year warranty valid. Just drizzle a little vegetable oil on a few sheets of paper and run them through the shredder.

I've been using this shredder for about a month with no problems. If any arise, I'll certainly be back to report on them.

2.0 out of 5 stars Updated: Epic Fail in less than a year., August 23, 2011
S. Harrison (East Sacramento, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Update: April 4, 2012
I had the unit sitting on top of a 15-inch wastebasket, supported by the extension (see product images). Obviously, the extension was not heavy-duty enough to support the weight of the shredding mechanism, as the whole thing just collapsed. The extension broke off at the body of the shredder. It now BARELY sits on top of the basket that it was designed for. Since I thought that the basket was too small to begin with, this part failure pretty much turned the shredder into a doorstop as far as I am concerned. Downgraded from four stars to two stars. I've posted a photo of the broken part.

-----
Original review.

Let's make things straight from the start - this is not an industrial-strength shredder. It is only rated for eight sheets of paper, and it's not lightning fast. That said, it seems to be perfectly well suited for home use. One of the primary reasons that I was interested in this unit is because I want to be able to shred old credit cards rather that cut them up by hand.

To test this unit, I ran an old CD, an expired credit card, and several sheets of paper through the unit. It's actually more accurate to say that this device breaks (rather than shreds) CDs, as a CD is rendered into four pieces. The credit card was, however, shredded. (See product images.)

The CD goes into a different slot than the credit card and the paper. To get the CD and credit card into the machine, a slight bit of pressure needed to be applied. Only one credit card or one CD at a time can be run through the machine.

Pros:
The machine accepted up to 14 sheets of paper at a time, but it ran slowly. It was asking a bit much of the poor thing to have it shred 16 sheets. It did it, but only reluctantly, and I wouldn't recommend doing so. I didn't push it further, as I didn't want to have to clean out a jam. Therefore, I would say that the 8-sheet rating is accurate, and you don't have to closely count the number of sheets before you shove them in. For the long-term health and continued cheerful cooperation of the unit, it's probably not a good idea to consistently ask it to do more than its job description requires.

It shredded the credit card and broke the CD without any problem whatsoever.

The instruction sheet is very clear, and contains information regarding use and basic maintenance.

Cons:
A couple of "features" of this shredder are not so hot (at least from my perspective):
(1) the size of the basket - it's about 11 x 12 x 6, smaller than the posted dimensions suggest.
(2) the shape and size of the shredding mechanism.
3) this is not a cross-cut shredder, and therefore not the best for confidential documents.

When I first saw the small size of the basket I assumed that the shredding mechanism could easily be set on top of a larger wastebasket. Well.... not really. As Maxwell Smart might say, "Missed it by that much."

The top piece is adjustable, and can be extended to about 15 inches. However, the ends are curved, and the unit doesn't sit that snugly on top of a rectangular wastebasket. Let's call it a "meh" fit. It would probably be difficult to find a larger basket that it would fit nicely. (Update: I have been using it on top of a 15-inch wastebasket. While it only sits on top of the basket, I have found it to be more stable than I originally anticipated.)

Toss-up:
I would prefer to be able to detach the cord from the shredding mechanism, but it is permanently attached. In this case, some people may like this configuration, others might not.

The real test of this device will be in terms of its long-term durability. Of course, that is impossible to judge durability at this time. It does come with a one year warranty, and the Amazon product page shows a 1-800 customer service line for the device. I am using it every single day to shred junk mail, and will see how it holds up.

If it dies a premature death, I will update this review with all the gory details. Likewise, if this shredder proves itself to be a shredder beyond shredders, a paragon of its species, I will be sure to give credit where credit is due.

1.0 out of 5 stars switch is either on full bore or off- seems to be faulty, January 2, 2012
The shredder seems to shred- but it has an auto switch that doesn't work at all.
It's either on full bore or off. Shuts off hard, have to jiggle to get it to come on..
SO not to impressed with this.
Hope others were better, maybe mine is just a lemon.--SO SAD!

5.0 out of 5 stars FAST AND FURIOUS., December 4, 2011
This shredder is without a doubt worth the $30 price, but the reviewers who said it is quiet must be next to deaf. It is not quiet but it's not an issue as that is not the reason I bought it. It does the job quickly and efficiently.

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic Paper Shredder, August 23, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a smaller size paper shredder - about the size of a waste basket you might have in your bathroom. So if you looking for something that doesn't take up a lot of room, maybe for an apartment or dorm room, or to keep under a desk, this is the perfect size. It shreds up to 8-sheets paper and also has the ability to shred CDs and credit cards. It performs all the functions you would expect to find in a paper shredder and is easy to use right out of the box. Since I'm looking to shred junk mail and not Watergate files, this fits the bill.

5.0 out of 5 stars This shredder does what it is supposed to do, October 31, 2011
T.D. Orr "Dano" (Great Mills, md United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really like this little shredder. It cuts up to about 6 sheets with little effort. It is quiet and efficient. I have a cross cut shreadder in my home office for the most sensitive documents and this one in our bedroom for bills etc. The cross cut is obvioouly going to be noisier because what it does. Overall I recommend this one for nearly every job. It is inexpensive, light and quiet.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very good, June 29, 2013
This shredder is powerful and it can shred up to 8 pieces of paper but when I went to empty it for the first time I realized how poorly it shreds. It cuts the paper in 10 strips down the middle. I was easily able to put all of the pieces of paper I shredded for the past 3 weeks back together and read social security numbers and other confidential information. I had to burn the remnants. I don't recommend this product because of security reasons.

1.0 out of 5 stars a shredder that won't take paper = negative stars, January 13, 2012
Sean "Sean" (near Philly, PA United States) - See all my reviews
Length:: 0:55 Mins

I think the video speaks for itself. In 20 minutes, I was able to feed two pages which did shred. Maybe I should be grateful, because I am not sure how I got the shredder to take those sheets.

Normally what happens is just what is in the video. Doesn't matter if it's an envelope, 8 1/2 x 11 paper, or another size; one sheet or multiple. I tried oiling it (even though it's brand new), cleaned it out (remnants of the few pages I was able to shred are what come out when I reverse the shredder in the video), and tried many times to shred other papers but this thing is useful only as a doorstop or large paper weight. Now I need to waste time sending it back. Irritating.

Rate and Discover Movies