2,418 Reviews
 (2,087)

Published on November 17, 2009 by A. Dent

3.0 out of 5 stars Power But No Data
This cable transfers power to my HTC EVO, but my Windows 7 computer doesn't recognize the phone as a Removable Disk. Works fine without the extension.
Published on November 11, 2010 by Al Thrasher

5.0 out of 5 stars Good price, full Amazon support but be aware that this is an EXTENSION cable, November 17, 2009
Please be aware that this is NOT a longer USB cable. It is an extension cable with 'Type A' connectors at BOTH ends (male and female) - meaning that this cable will NOT connect 2 devices by itself. It will only work with and extend a 'regular' USB cable that has a 'Type A' male connector at one end. 'Type A' is the type of connector that would normally plug into your computer or laptop USB port.

These being said, I found it quite useful with peripherals that come with permanently attached cables that are not as long as I wish they were. I am using mine with a Logitech Driving Force GT Racing Wheel and with a T-flight Hostas joystick on which we can use a longer cable.

There's not much to say other than everything is done right, including the price. It is USB 2.0 certified and connectors at both ends appear to be gold-plated and solidly built. This is important because, unlike a HDMI cable that you usually plug it in at the back of your equipment and it's likely to stay there, USB cables tend to be plugged in and out many times and this is even more so the case with an extension cable.

While USB cables are clearly a commodity item these days, AmazonBasics cables do have a couple of advantages over the competition.

- EASY RETURN - I know because I had to return quite a few items for various reasons. Amazon makes it very easy and, if you are returning the item because it came defective or damaged Amazon pays for shipping.

- WARRANTY - these wires come with a 1-year warranty.I am highly confident that Amazon will be around to honor its warranty and I'm not so sure about vendors I know less.

- QUALITY ASSURANCE - I've never had any problems with 'cheap' USB or HDMI cables but it may be reassuring to have Amazon's name on a wire. My assumption is that Amazon did insist on some quality checks before they stamped their logo on the product.

- PRICE - This cable may appear more expensive than others but keep in mind that, unlike most, it qualifies for SuperSavers and Amazon Prime free shipping.

I am awarding this item 5 stars for price and quality - there's nothing to complain. There may be better deals out there, pricewise but I decided to go with the Amazon brand in this case for the reasons cited above.

____________________________________

Note:

I ended up using the 9.8 Feet / 3.0 Meters version of this wire because the price difference is insignificant and, if you need it to be shorter, just make a little loop, no big deal but if you get a short wire the only way to extend it is to get yourself an... extension cable :)

5.0 out of 5 stars PS3 Compatible!, December 5, 2009
This review is from: AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A-Male to A-Female Extension Cable - 9.8 Feet (3 Meters) (Personal Computers)
I bought this to extend the length of my existing PlayStation 3 DualShock controller cable. I prefer going wireless with my controller, but when the battery runs down the only way to charge it is to plug in the Sony-supplied cable. Unfortunately, that cable was too short for me to sit back in my chair away from the TV, so I always had to quit playing until it charged. I bought this cable to extend the original controller cable's length, not as a replacement.

This AmazonBasic's USB extension cable is a good a quality cable for a low price, and the "frustration-free packaging" means the box the cable comes in is also the box it's shipped in. It works perfectly for the purpose I bought it: extending the length of PS3 Dualshock controller cable, allowing me to continue playing while charging the battery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Use it for flash drives., April 4, 2011
Coolkayaker "ck1" (Fox Valley, Illinois USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Put it atop your desk and no longer have to duck underneath into the dusty morass full of transformers and cables and crap to stick something into your PC's USB port. No more banged heads on underside of desktop.

Just stick this baby into USB, place it of duct tape it to the top of your desk, and voila--sync your iPod, use your flash drive, and place media files from your camera all right there in front of you

Worth it's weight in ice packs for the bruised rear of your squash.

5.0 out of 5 stars for when your USB cable just can't quite reach, this will reach much farther, August 1, 2010
Don Kangol "DKJ" (Wilmington, NC USA) - See all my reviews
I bought a pair of these cables because I had USB cables all over my house that didn't reach far enough with their stock cables. I used one to connect my 2TB external hard drive to my desktop. It allowed me to put the hard drive at the top of my computer desk in a pleasing manageable spot away from the desktop. These cables allow you to be very flexible in your placement of equipment.

I used the other USB cable on my portable devices, the cellphones and the iPad. The iPad doesn't charge as quickly, but it charges well enough. The cellphones are charged flawlessly. Instead of buying another, more expensive and longer cord for your devices, get one or two of these instead. They're inexpensive and work well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Save yourself a trip to the ER, February 16, 2012
There are not a whole lot of exciting things that can be said about a USB cable. It is in fact 9.8 feet long. It does in fact extend my USB connection by 9.8 feet. It does in fact work just like all other USB cables. The most exciting thing is the frustration free packaging. No more plastic clam-shell packaging that requires a sharp knife to open, causing you to cut yourself and go to the ER, where you will have to put in the "why are you here?" box on the forms: "because I didn't get the AmazonBasics frustration free packaged USB cable".

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made, long-life cable, January 30, 2010
The AmazonBasics range of USB cables are well-made and robust, with gold-plated terminals for better connection and longer life, while the cable cores and coatings are soft and pliable, ensuring that they will bend round any awkward corners without taking any damage. Connector shrouds are slim-line and so should not run the risk of fouling adjacent cables should your USB ports be close to other ports, as they often are. They do come at a higher price than budget brands so you may do well to shop around if you don't need something this robust, but if you have a need for a long-life cable that needs to take some knocks without complaint then you will probably not find better.

The "frustration-free" packaging is a large, easily opened box which while undoubtedly more environmentally friendly and less damaging to fingers than the standard plastic bubble pack generally beloved of cable manufacturers these days, is nevertheless excessive for such a small product. The biggest frustration is likely to be the fact that the box will not fit into a standard mail-box. A straightforward strong padded envelope would have sufficed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, but, take note!, August 14, 2012
I have had this item for nearly three-weeks. I agree with nearly all other reviewers in as much as quality and durability is concerned. However, note that the length of the cable will introduce considerable resistance between any charger (needs to be at lease 10-watts for ipad 3)and your device. Copper, at a resistance of 27-ohms per/ft, one can expect an increase of charging time, especially with an iPad 3. There will not, however, be any negative effect on the charger or ipad. This will occur simply because some of the voltage is being dropped/lost within the cable. Apart from measuring, one can easily "feel" the difference (by touching the charger case) when comparing charging with and without the extension cable. Whether charging via a wall charger, of via a PC USB port, the cable affect will be the same.

So, I recommend the cable. Especially, if you are used to charging your device overnight. Otherwise, you can expect no appreciable increase in percentage of charge while charging and using the iPad 3. Otherwise, it's a great deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nearly 10 feet of USB glory, December 22, 2009
Short little USB cables that force you to store all your devices within 3-6 feet of your computer really irritate me. I dislike having all my peripherals sitting in my lap when I'm trying to do work. I bought one of these so I could put my printer on the back side of my office. It did just want I wanted it to, and I'm very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars USB extension cable, December 29, 2009
Great cable. High quality thick insulation and tight usb connection.
would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mouse Cable Short, November 12, 2010
A Kid's Review
Problem solved no more yanking my mouse cord around because it wasn't long enough. Now I can set at my computer and relax....perfect. Why do they make cords so short anyway?

Rate and Discover Movies