5.0 out of 5 stars Works on USB 2.0 and USB 3.0
This is a well made, sturdy, albeit somewhat thick cable.

I bought it so that I could extend both USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 cables. I.E., you can plug this cable into a USB 2.0 port on a computer and attach a USB 2.0 device or cable to the other end and it will work fine.

Published 7 months ago by Sam

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazon Basics Cable not up to par.
I was having a problem with synchronizing 2 usb 3.0 drives to where only 1 file would copy and then nothing else would happen. I had rebooted 4 times and it would still only copy one file. I replaced this cable with Cable Matters SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Type A Male to Female Extension Cable in Blue 10 Feet and the problem has been corrected.
Published 12 months ago by Jeff Briscoe

5.0 out of 5 stars Works on USB 2.0 and USB 3.0, January 23, 2014
This review is from: AmazonBasics USB 3.0 A-Male to A-Female Extension Cable - 6.5 Feet (2 meters) (Personal Computers)
This is a well made, sturdy, albeit somewhat thick cable.

To be clear: you can attach a USB 2.0 phone cable to this extension cord, plug it into a USB 2.0 port on your PC and you will be able to both charge your phone and transfer data to and from it (at USB 2.0 speeds).

You can, of course, also plug this cable into a USB 3.0 port on a computer and plug a USB 3.0 device or cable into the other end and it will work fine.

Posting this info since some other reviewers were questioning this. The USB 3.0 standard is designed to be backwards compatible with USB 2.0 (and even USB 1.1).

The USB 3.0 connector is designed so that the extra pins needed for USB 3.0 are recessed, and they won't be used if the cable is plugged into a USB 2.0 port.

USB 3.0 is a superset of USB 2.0, so why not purchase an extension cable that will serve both types of devices and ports?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, Very Happy with Purchase, January 7, 2013
I purchased this for an external USB 3 JBOD enclosure I will need for my PC.

At the moment, I haven't received the JBOD enclosure, but I tested this cable with an Intel X25-V 40GB SSD in a MSI Coolmax HD-250TN-U3 USB 3 enclosure using a PCIe x1 Renesas 2-Port (EVGA EU30) card and saw HD Tune 2.55 return the following stats for a 4MB Block Size:
Transfer Rate:
Min: 134.6 MB/sec
Max: 149.2 MB/sec
Average 144.5 MB/sec
Access Time: 0.1 ms
Burst Rate: 73.6 MB/sec

This was with the SSD having 12.2 GB free of 37.2 GB.

When the SSD/enclosure was attached directly to the EU30 without using the extension cable, I saw the following results:
Transfer Rate:
Min: 138.0 MB/sec
Max: 149.4 MB/sec
Average 144.2 MB/sec
Access Time: 0.1 ms
Burst Rate: 74.5 MB/sec

My conclusion: No real speed loss when using the extension cable.

Other observations: The cable is nice and thick; the male/female ends feel strong and unlikely to break even with thousands of insertions/removal

UPDATE: When I used the extension cable with the NST-640SU3-BK enclosure, the disks would appear and disappear in Windows. Removing the cable fixed the issue.

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazon Basics Cable not up to par., August 30, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Important info for you on this, June 22, 2013
This is a topnotch cable. Very good quality. Be aware, while usb 3.0 devices are usually backwards compatible you are not going to be able to buy this cord and connect it to a USB 2.0 port and have it work. I have had experience first hand with this happening to people and want to get this message out to who ever I can and maybe save someone the cost. But other then that one foot note, this item is excellent and the seller was right on the ball and got it out asap. If you need one I would go for it. I will come back to this seller in the future when I need these. Enjoy and God Bless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great extension cord, does what it says, January 21, 2014
I recently bought a USB 3.0 Hub http://www.amazon.com/HT-UH008-Bus-Powered-Detachable-Charging-Strip-Shaped/dp/B00ECTYKWO/ref=cm_cr-mr-title which had a very short USB 3.0 cord. I added this extension cord to my hub, and everything worked as if my hub were directly connected to my desktop. The build quality of the cord is thick, and so far doesn't have any issues. Overall, I would buy this cord again if I needed another one.

Pros:
+ Doesn't interfere with being connected to my USB hub.
+ Thick cord, not flimsy.

Cons:
- None, does everything I need it to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fixes finicky 3.0 cable on WD Passport, December 24, 2013
Everyone needs an extension cable, and my favs of any kind, are Amazon Basics; been getting them for several years, and EVERY one of my Windows desktops, has ALL its ports plugged into these babies. For I do not want to go under the desk and futz with the back of the towers. My only complaint about these cables, is that they're black. They work GREAT. Ergo, I have over two dozen of them.

So when the opportunity arose to get a 3.0 cable, and Amazon Basics carried it, wow. Very happy camper. Especially, because as many know, the WD Passport drives have finicky cables that Windows 7 and XP, sometimes refuse to recognize. Had that very problem, this morning. Unhooked the replacement cable I had been using, and instead hooked in this baby and then reattached the original WD Passport (stinky, scorpion-like) cable, and BINGO! Windows 7 recognized it!

Thank you, Amazon!

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Cable, January 26, 2013
This cable is pretty decent. Hooked up external hard drive (USB 3.0) to it and got 80 MB/s transfer rate from usb drive to internal SSD. Same transfer over USB 2.0 and got 35 MB/s transfer rate.

Bytecc USB PCI BT-PEU310
Patriot Gauntlet 2 USB 3.0 Enclosure
WD 320 GB 7200RPM

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what you'd expect, November 28, 2012
Jeremy Fry (Canton, MI USA) - See all my reviews
Nothing really special here. The cord feels like a good weight and is the length listed. Works great and seems like it will hold up well.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are a novice techy, you need to know what to expect from this USB 3.0 Amazon Basics 6ft cable (A male to A female), October 20, 2013
Lori Parker (Franklin, North Carolina) - See all my reviews
Let's keep this simple. Don't worry about "why" it works like this, just know that it does.

* USB 3.0 is up to 10x faster than USB 2.0.
* You'll use this cord to make a product you already have reach further away from your computer's tower or laptop. It can help you connect with the printer on your file cabinet or allow you to walk around the room with your webcam.
* By lengthening the distance the signal must travel from your device to your computer, you will lose a small percentage of efficiency (up to 5%).
* You "must" use this product in a 3.0 port. Do "not" put it in a 2.0 port.
* You "can" plug 2.0 items into the receptive end of the cable. Only older flash drives and scanners/cameras will pose compatibility problems.
* This cable has sturdy construction and will last for years.

What does "A Male" and "A Female" mean?

The label of "A" in computer cables is the name for full-size traditional USB plugs; "B" is the label for minis, such as goes into a cell phone.

"Male" refers to the pointy end of a cord that plugs into something else. "Female" is the hollow end that surrounds the "male" end of another cord. All the ports on your computer in which you insert cords are female adapters. A flash drive is an example of a male adapter.

I purchased this Amazon Basics 3.0 USB cord to extend the reach of...
Cable Matters 4-Port SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Portable Compact Hub in Black - Bus Powered

5.0 out of 5 stars The whole extra three yards...., May 22, 2014
What happens when you want to put something further away than normal USB cables reach? With a lamp or other electrical appliance we get extension cords. This is just an extension cord for USB. Because I was connecting a USB 3 card to a USB 3 hub, I needed a USB 3 extension cable.

There really is not much to be said for it. It is the length needed and it works. It is very reasonably priced and it does work at the USB 3 speeds, or it feels like it. I'm no bit freak but I know my backups that used to take over an hour to do now complete in about 20 minutes to my USB 3 external drive via the USB 3 hub.

So if you find yourself needing a USB 3 extension cable, I would strongly recommend this one.

Rebecca Kyle, May 2014

On May 21, 2014, at 10:15 AM, Becky Kyle <beckeroo13@gmail.com> wrote:

Is this yours?

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Amazon.com Reviews" <customer-reviews-messages@amazon.com>
Subject: R. Kyle, did 'AmazonBasics USB 3.0 A-Male to A-Female Extension Cable (9.8 Feet/3.0 Meters)' meet your expectations? Review it on Amazon.com
Date: May 21, 2014 4:16:45 AM EDT
To: "beckeroo13@gmail.com" <beckeroo13@gmail.com>

So, R. Kyle, how did this item meet your expectations?

AmazonBasics USB 3.0 A-Male to A-Female Extension Cable (9.8 Feet/3.0 Meters)

AmazonBasics

Start by rating it

Review your recent purchase

TEKTON 2830 Everybit Tool Kit for Electronics, Phones and Precision Devices,...

TEKTON