Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale

AmazonBasics Backpack for SLR/DSLR Cameras and Accessories - Black
Package Type: Frustration-Free PackagingChange
Price:$29.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on July 25, 2010
UPDATE AS OF June 2015:
Nearly FIVE YEARS later, I am glad to report that this bag has held up tremendously over the years. Besides a few rips and tears in the fabric (due to rough handling on vacations and excursions), the bag is still protecting my gear! I've since traded out some of my equipment and adopted new camera lenses. This bag still handles anything thrown at it. Without a doubt, this is one of my favorite Amazon purchases to date. I hope everyone continues to find my review helpful (man this was shot when I was still in high school!).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE AS OF 1/9/11:
This bag is still doing wonderful, but I thought I should update you guys on the gear it is holding. Currently, it is holding my Canon Rebel XTi (w/ battery grip), Canon EF 70-300mm USM, Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, Canon EF 28-80mm, and Canon EF-S 18-55mm. As well, it is holding my Canon ZR930 MiniDV camcorder, Canon Rebel 2000 film SLR, filters, pouch of accesories such as chargers, memory card reader, etc, and a few little items. This bag seems to hold whatever you throw at it! Still a 5 star bag!

I added a video to this review to show the amounts of gear able to be stored in this bag.

I have been looking to purchase a camera backpack for my SLRs, lenses, and other accessories, and I had narrowed it down to the Canon 200EG backpack. I loved the compact size to the bag, but the large area inside for about two bodies (a must) as well as excess room for lenses. I tried the bag out at Best Buy, and I was about ready to purchase it on Amazon, until this bag came up as a recommended choice. It looks identical to the Canon, but without the giant 'steal me' Canon logo. Reviews for this bag backed up my choice, so I figured I would try this baby out, and if I din't like it, just return it for the Canon.

Little did I know, this bag exceeded my expectations with features much better than the 200EG. For one, the extra padding on the shoulder straps. You also get a belt strap to support your back with heavy gear. I'm about 5'3" and the bag fits snug and comfortably.

The exterior is made of a durable material, which should hold up against rain. The interior is padded very nicely to secure your gear in the bumpiest of my bike rides, which is nice. The zippers are sturdy, although I wish they were easier to put a lock onto. Lets talk about what this bad boy can hold. I am able to fit my DSLR Canon Rebel XTi (w/ battery grip) in the main slot, my film Rebel 2000 infront of the XTi, my PowerShot P&S, my MiniDV camcorder, 75-300mm telephoto lens, 28-80mm walk-around lens, and 18-55mm kit lens, with room to spare! In the meantime, I keep my chargers, minidv tapes, and remotes in the open spot. That is until I invest in a flash unit. If you pack everything right, you can easily pack three SLR bodies, three lenses, a P&S, and other gear in the bag. The top mounted pockets is home to my filters, memory cards, cables, and cloths. The side of the bag can hold a tripod safe and securely. You can also find spots for a phone, or even fit a small notebook pc (more likely a netbook) in the main pocket. Which is nice considering there is no laptop slot.

All in all, this bag is highly recommended in my opinion. Keep it in mind in your searches, and don't click away because it is Amazon branded. It's higher quality than my old Lowepro!
5353 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 3, 2010
Here is a video review of the Amazon Basics SLR backpack.
I really like it. It seems durable, it's relatively comfortable, and most importantly... it can hold a lot of stuff!
I say it's great value for money.
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 12, 2010
I have been using the Canon 200EG backpack camera case since about 2007, and love it. Correction: loved it. I think, on my short sample, that I prefer the Amazon.

The outer size is nearly identical, although the Amazon seems a bit larger only because its squared profile is harder / less collapsible than the Canon. The interior size is nearly identical, and is laid out identically. The small touches definitely favour the Amazon -- the inner zip compartments [perfect size for SD cards, lens cleaning pens, small manuals, tripod quick mounts, etc.] have a flap covering the zipper, which protects your expensive glass and camera bodies. The foam "foundations" for the velcro-ed compartments are firmer and a bit more sturdy [and padded] in the Amazon. As others have noted in reviews, the shoulder strap is better-padded on the Amazon, and there is a belt cinch for ease and a healthier walk when the sucker is weighed down. Not much difference, but a slight edge to the Amazon. Add in the price (and no "Canon" magnet for thieves), and the Amazon comes out ahead.

Make no mistake -- this thing will hold a LOT of gear. In the Canon, I took to Paris two Nikon DSLR bodies, an 80-200 pre-DSLR 2.8 constant zoom (big!), a 50 1.4, an 85 1.8, and a 20 2.8, SB-600 flash, along with table-top tripod, large air cleaning syringe, and assorted. Cramped, but do-able. And I've since put the same rig in the Amazon (but without traveling).

Finally -- I also have Tamrac backpacks, as well as a Crumpler 8 Million Dollar Home Case (Blue/Orange) MD0810A. [what can I say -- I'm a bag junkie!!!]. The others were all more expensive, sometimes over a C-Note more expensive. And NO layout is more accessible than this Canon / Amazon full-zip opening backpack. Lay it flat on the ground, and you can grab anything/everything in moment. No digging, no hassle.

Buy this sucker. I got it in a lightning deal, but the normal Amazon price is still a great one.

And no -- I don't object to the Amazon zippers. . . . .
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 4, 2011
I filled the backpack with a camera body, 4 lenses, and a flash. There was still room for a small lens.

Pros:
Comfortable, good layout, a lot of versatility.

Cons:
On the first day of carrying it the seam started to pull out at the top of the straps then later at the top of the second pocket. This was on the first day of a 10 day vacation so I had to be extra careful the rest of the trip to make sure it would not come completely undone.
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Package Type: Frustration-Free PackagingVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This camera backpack can easily hold 2 full-size DSLR cameras and a few extra lenses, or even some point & shoot cameras all in the same case. A mini tripod will definitely fit inside, not sure about a full-size tripod since I don't own one (if they fold up you may be able to). Whatever you want this case to be for your particular needs, it can morph into it.

The main section of the backpack is configured into 9 separate compartments. However these compartments (slightly padded BTW) are fastened with Velcro, so you can configure the interior of the backpack into anything that you would need it for. You can even remove all the compartments if you want and use it as a regular backpack. Inside the "lid" are two separate see-though plastic zippered compartments as well.

As far as the exterior of the backpack, each side as two Velcro-closure pockets with flaps, which measure approx. 4.5" by 4" wide. The outside top (lid) has 2 huge zippered pockets, there is TONS of storage areas with this case/backpack.

The underneath part of the backpack which would come in contact with your back is made of mesh to keep you a little cooler while hauling it around. The straps are lightly padded and adjustable. It was comfortable for me (I am 5' 4"), but I doubt if it would fit well for anyone over 200 lbs.

As a whole, the backpack is lightly padded with a somewhat soft tricot lining. The exterior is nylon and is easily cleaned with a wet cloth. There is a handle on top if you don't want to use carry it as a backpack, which I do, since I don't think backpacks are all that comfortable no matter how padded the straps are.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 14, 2011
Purpose

Before you purchase a pack for your camera gear, you have to decide WHY you want the pack. If you want to hike into the boonies for an overnight camera shoot, this is NOT the pack for you. It is too small. This pack has no room for overnight gear.
If you want to carry all possible gear to be able to photograph anything that comes down the trail, this may not be the pack for you. It is too small. Consider wheeled photo case for this type of job.

If you want a pack to carry your camera body, a couple of extra lenses, maybe a flash and a few other assorted must-have goodies, keep reading. You may have found your pack. I consider this pack to be an ideal size. On most trails, I only need a wide-angle lens for the scenics, a telephoto lens (and maybe a tele-extender) for wildlife, and a macro lens. This all fits into the pack nicely, along with a sandwich, trail mix, a 16-oz coffee container, and wind/rain jacket. Taking any more than this is not only overkill for the mission, but it is also heavy. Again, this pack is an ideal size for a day hike.

Potential Pack Problems

I have worn out a lot of packs in the last few years. Sometimes the pack material has worn out. This pack SEEMS as if the material is strong enough and protected enough that this should not happen. One frequent problem with packs is that the zippers are not heavy-duty. Although a zipper will occasionally give you warning that failure is imminent, having a sudden breakage five miles into a trail is just not fun. The zippers on this pack seem to be of good quality. However, there is no weather strip covering the zipper. Rain could seep in, although I haven't had the pack out in the rain yet.

Another problem I have had with packs in the past is that the straps will tear off where they are attached to the pack. It is difficult for me to tell how well constructed this portion of the pack is. Only time will resolve this issue. While a broken strap could be a tragedy in the field, I have never seen a strap break suddenly. The rips in the strap extend slowly, giving the user plenty of time to replace the pack. Padding for the This pack's padding for the camera and other gear appears to be as good as any camera pack I have used. The padding between the pack and the wearer is also good.

I have had several side-release (Fastex) buckles break in my life, but that is never a mission killer. Besides, the buckles are the only part of a pack (that I am aware of) that is user replaceable if they break. The buckles on this pack all seem to be of standard grade plastic and should not cause undue problems.

The Big Problem and Solution

All buckles on this pack are set up to be easily adjustable by simply pulling the strap or pulling up on the quick-release end of the buckle. Well, they are all set up that way EXCEPT the buckles on the waist strap. For some inexplicable reason (at least to me), this pack is set up with an extra triglide adjuster on the right side of the waist strap that makes it impossible to easily adjust the length of the waist strap. If you look at the pictures at the top of the main page, the triglide adjusters are the plastic pieces found to the left and right of the buckle on the picture showing the waist belt.

When the triglide adjuster is attached to the right strap (the side with the male part of the buckle attached), the strap cannot be pulled tight, nor can the quick-release mechanism on the male side of the buckle operate to release the tightness. Changing the length of the strap is possible, but it is very cumbersome.

I took the triglide adjuster completely off of the right strap on my pack and the straps now work as expected. [Note: the strap was also not properly wound around the male side of the buckle when I took to triglide off. The picture at the top of the main page shows the proper way to assemble the strap around the buckle.] I suggest you do the same.
Suggestion
Other than removal of the unnecessary triglide adjuster, the other change I would like to see in future versions of this pack is the addition of some kind of weather protection. A pack poncho attached to the top of the pack in a zippered retainer pocket would be a good way to keep weather off of expensive camera equipment during a hike in questionable weather, which is usually a great time to get some awesome pictures. But carrying a small poncho or even a garbage bag would accomplish the same thing, albeit much less elegantly.

Conclusions

I expect any pack to last no less than two years, but I always hope to get five years out of one before it wears out. I fully expect this pack to measure up to my expectations.
I like this pack. It fits me. Because of its size, I cannot carry a lot of unnecessary (and heavy) gear, but it will carry enough gear for a single day hike. If I need more equipment, I carry it in my large, wheeled camera case and leave the case in the vehicle, carrying in the pack only what I need for the shoot.

Pros:
1. Excellent size for day hike.
2. Comfortable
3. Good camera padding
4. Handle on the top
5. Zippers appear to be heavy-duty
Cons:
1. The "belt strap" can't by tightened on the fly (but read text for a work-around of what I consider a major design flaw)
2. I have doubts about the ability of the camera compartment to protect the gear from rain: (a) non-protected zippers; (b) no inner lining for the main camera compartment; and (c)no built-in poncho.
3. There is a piece of stretchable fabric on the chest strap that seems to be a bit fragile.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon September 14, 2010
This bag can hold LOTS of photo equipment and still not make the wearer feel like a beast of burden. Once full, it distributes the weight evenly, unlike some shoulder strap or sling bags. I fit a Pentax K20D with 18-55mm lens attached, Tamron 70-300mm, Tamron 28-70mm, Pentax 10-17mm Fisheye, Pentax 28-105mm lenses, Pentax AF 360 Flash unit in the interior easily, plus storing various filters, cables, extra batteries and memory cards in the front and side pockets.

There are numerous interior dividers that are easily reorganized for a customized fit, details, such as side holders for a tripod, side gusseted pocket and rubberized zipper pulls that make for easy gripping and zipping.

The shoulder straps are nicely padded, as is the back of the bag. Length of straps is adjustable as is the waist belt. My only complaint with the bag is that despite all the adjustments, it still was not as comfortable for a wearer with broader shoulders and a little more endowment in the chest...the straps seemed too close and the across the chest strap just couldn't be made less confining. A smaller person trying it on had no such problems.

Finding the perfect camera bag is a challenging task...finding that combination of carrying capacity, good weight distribution and fit for the wearer can be problematic. This bag will be a great bag for those who:

1. Want to carry all their camera gear - the capacity of this bag is one of its strengths.

2. Need a comfortable bag for a lengthy trek - the backpack style and waistband will keep it in place and secure for the lengthiest hike without shoulder strain. It will not be as convenient for those who need frequent access to change out gear.

3. Are small to average-sized individuals - for those who have broad shoulders, this bag may not be as comfortable.

4. Finally, price - Amazon is selling a quality camera bag for considerably less than many of the major "name" bags companies. Bravo, Amazon.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 27, 2010
This camera bag is very similar in quality and function to the Canon 200EG but cost $10 less. It is comfortable on your back; build quality is sturdy and holds tons of photographic gears: at least 2 bodies + a few lenses.
The only problem I have with this bag is that it holds your tripod to the side rather than having it hang off the bottom of the bag. If you carry a tripod with it, it makes one side of your bag much heavier than the other. The imbalance can be uncomfortable at times.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 1, 2015
I received the backpack yesterday and went on a walk with several lens and some other accessories in the backpack. When I arrived home I lifted it by the top handle and it ripped out and I almost dropped $3000+ of lens on the floor. NOT happy.
review image review image review image review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 19, 2012
The value of this backpack is huge. The construction and the detailing are very nice. I easily fit my Nikon D700, 4 other lenses, flash, IPad and a ton of small items in the pack. Regrettably the hauling loop handle on the top of the pack separated from the pack after its first real use.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...