Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: AmazonBasics Carrying Case for Nintendo - New 3DS XL, 3DS XL - Red (Officially Licensed by Nintendo)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on November 20, 2012
I was very impressed with the overall quality of this case for the price. It's of comparable quality to anything in the same price-range as something from Hori or Nintendo, but it's more readily available as it comes directly from Amazon. The item is sturdy, doesn't smell funny (which is often a problem with similar "hard" rubberized cases), and the screen printing for the logo is nice and clear. The 3 cartridge sleeves for holding games are a tad more tight than I would like, but they'll loosen up with use. I was looking for a case that would keep my new 3DS XL safe, but the majority of items currently on the market that were of a compatible size for that system still read "DSi XL" on the cover, or merely showed the general 2-rectangle DS symbol. I wanted a case that explicitly said "3DS" on it, to distinguish it from my other handhelds. This product from AmazonBasics fit the bill perfectly. So to reiterate, though the product description doesn't say so outright, this case will work perfectly for a 3DS XL.

I would not recommend this case for someone looking to store/protect one of the non-XL DS systems (DS, DS Lite, DSi, 3DS). The case is quite large, and although there are 2 different sizes of elastic straps for holding your system in place while traveling, there's still far too much empty space around the edges for my comfort. Someone who is in a hurry might neglect to use those straps, and then their system would jostle around far too much. A DSi XL or 3DS XL on the other hand is a snug, secure fit even without the straps. I would imagine the smaller system's mentioned in the item's description were simply thrown in as a catch-all because they technically will fit . . . just not securely.
55 comments|177 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 6, 2011
Color: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
In this review, I talk about the following items:

(1) Amazon's "Frustration-Free" packaging
(2) The case design
(3) How it handles the bumps and jolts of the world

I also bring up the following negatives:

(1) No case strap
(2) Only room to store 3 games
(3) No room to store wall plugs

I hope this helps. Happy Gaming!
review image review image review image review image review image
77 comments|246 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 17, 2013
Great case. Can hold 3 games. I use it all the time. Professional quality. XL fits perfect in this case. I mean it's a quality case, but that's it. I am not about to write a 5 paragraph essay about a 10 dollar case. IT WORKS GREAT. Buy it, you won't regret it. Ohhh everyone is not going to find this review helpful. Whatever.
0Comment|96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2013
I recently picked up a 3DS XL and needed some coverage to keep it from getting all banged up in my backpack. The Amazon Basics case fit both the budget and the need. To keep the size down, it really only holds your DS, a few games, and maybe some earbuds. No room for a charger in this case. Overall however, I'm very satisfied with the case and the red goes nicely with the gold DS. :)
on November 1, 2014
The case looks great and feels sturdy. It has space for 3 games, the 3DS, the charger, and maybe some instruction manuals if you want to cram anything else in.

This is a 5 star product that gets 3 stars solely because one of the straps that holds the 3DS broke the very first time I was putting it inside. I wasn't being rough or misusing it at all. I understand that it's a ~$10 "made in China" case, but something breaking on the very first use is just unacceptable.

It's doesn't affect the overall functionality at all, and it's so minor that it makes going through the small amount of trouble of returning it not even worth it.

Overall, this is the best 3DS XL case I've found so far as far as protection and looks go. Hopefully mine was just a bad one, but even if you get one that has the same problem as mine, it's still a great case.
on February 7, 2015
I gave this case five stars because I feel it does what it needs to do: protect your 3DS or 3DS XL/LL.

I'll start with a few cons that might be deal breakers for some people:
- The case only has three slots for games
- The slots are tight and if you stick your games completely in, you'll have to either struggle pulling it out from the edges of the cartridge or push it up from the bottom (thereby touching the contacts, though with cloth)
- There is no carrying strap; the case is only a case, so you had better be in possession of large pockets or a bag of some sort

Now, none of those were what I needed it for. I put the case in my own messenger bag and my games are in another plastic case.

Here are some pros:
- A 3DS XL/LL fits perfectly snug in the case. It does not wiggle with the elastic straps hold it in tightly.
- Inside is padded for added protection
- Inside is also covered in fabric, making it soft and unlikely to scratch your 3DS
- Outside is hard and sturdy, which protects the 3DS from impacts
- Even with a plastic cover like mine on your 3DS, it zips up quickly and without effort
- Duel zippers allow for quick zipping from either side, or from the center

I cannot recommend this case enough. Unfortunately, I've dropped my 3DS XL twice since purchasing this case. Fortunately, I had the case and no damage was had by my 3DS XL.
review image review image review image review image review image
on August 15, 2013
This thing was made for 3DS XLs. It has a great fit, and it's super protective. There's even a spot reserved for your extra games. What's not to love about this case? Nothing. The answer is nothing.
on February 21, 2015
This case is great. It works well with the New 3DS XL that come out in Feb 2015. Its rugged enough to throw in a bag and has card slots. Can't beat the price either. Highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon November 15, 2011
Color: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My wife is the DS junkie in the house, having loved the little Nintendo units for years, and she is currently using a DSi XL. She has a quite large travel case that can stuff away a bunch of games and the charger, but in many cases that's overkill, and a smaller, lighter case that simply protects the XL is more in order. That's where this semi-hard shell case comes in.

Being a molded hard-foam or light plastic, the case keeps the game pretty well protected. It's not going to save it from a massive crash (it's not totally rigid but can be smashed if pressed hard enough,) but it'll definitely protect it from major drops that commonly happen. The benefit it gives is due to its structure, being just a bit soft and spongy, so it absorbs some impact while also fending off small direct hits that would leave your device scarred or broken.

Inside is a set of straps that don't really seem to have much of a purpose. I know they're to further secure the DS, but getting it in and out of the straps is more difficult than it's worth. Unless you're extremely clumsy, there's just no need for quite this much protection. But it's good to know it's there in case you are, or have kids who are.

The three game slots are a little on the meager side, but you can let a few extras slide around in there if you don't care about it being messy. The stretchy slots are mounted on a larger flap that will kinda-sorta hold them in place as long as you're careful opening the case.

The big plus of this case, my wife finds, is that it's just big enough to house both the XL and one of her favorite non-standard styli, DS and DSi Stylus and Screen Protector Kit - Red/Blue. She's taken to not using any storage for the XL everyday to keeping it in this case, which I would say marks this as a success.
on April 3, 2015
This case was pretty much perfect for my needs. It had slots for three games, and the New 3DS XL fit perfectly in the case. The top and bottom of the case provided adequate protection without having as much bulk as the Hori cases. My biggest problem (and for Amazon's sake, I hope I'm the outlier here) was that the case smelled badly of harsh chemicals that I couldn't handle the thing without feeling nauseous. I hope they update their manufacturing processes so this isn't a problem in the future... In the meantime, I think I'm going to spend a couple of extra dollars and buy the plain Hori case.