5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon Value!
Published on October 1, 2009 by Ed

3.0 out of 5 stars Cable good, plug bothersome
Published on December 8, 2009 by Kristin Zhivago

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon Value!, October 1, 2009
Ed (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
The AmazonBasics RJ45 Cat5e Ethernet cable is an excellent value when compared to name-brand cables from the likes of Belkin and others. You get the same quality cables but for less money. You no longer have to take the risk of buying random generic cables in order to find the best value. My only reservation is that Amazon's warranty is an anemic 1 year. Belkin typically offers a lifetime warranty on their cables. Every now and then cables go bad, but it's pretty rare unless you abuse the connectors.

The PVC shielding is flexible enough so that you can wrap the cables easier. The RJ45 connector clips have a snag-free design so when pulling your cable from the tangled mess of other cables, it will not snag or break off. They are also gold-plated to resist corrosion but I have never had Ethernet cables corrode on me. I have crimped thousands of feet of Ethernet cables for work but none as nice as these.

Cat5e is limited to 328 feet, just like Cat5. Cat5e however, will support gigabit Ethernet (1000Base-T) better than Cat5 because of stricter specs on far end crosstalk. Gigabit Ethernet was designed for use with Cat5 but is more typically used in 10/100Base-T networks.

If you are looking for pre-made Ethernet cables, I highly recommend the AmazonBasics cables without any reservation whatsoever. All my future Ethernet cable purchases will only be AmazonBasics cables with the hope that they offer more color choices.

5.0 out of 5 stars What I was looking for..., October 14, 2009
Mace Thomas (Orlando, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Basic Review: Technical highlights are provided by others. When searching Amazon for network cables before coming across this one, I read other reviews by people who were disappointed with their purchases. This was because they thought that they were getting something similar to this product, when in fact, what they were getting was custom made or just the individual pieces. If you are looking for a no hassle network cable just like you would find in a retail store, then look no further. Not only are there no problems, but this cable is much cheaper than you would find in an ordinary store. I am currently using it as I type this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, September 29, 2009
Ed (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: AmazonBasics RJ45 Cat5e Ethernet Patch Cable - 50 Feet (15.2 Meters) (Personal Computers)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

I have no complaints about the frustration-free packaging. I disagree with the other reviewer about these cables being "unbreakable" but I do agree that Amazon could have just put a label on the box rather than wrapping the box with more cardboard.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cable good, plug bothersome, December 8, 2009
Cable is fine - no problems. The design of the plug, however, is a bit of a bother. The flexible, beige protector tab coming from the cable side of the plug makes sense - it is there (presumably) to protect the clear tab at the top of the plug - the one that "clicks" when you insert the cable into the jack. The problem is, the beige protector tab is too long. So when you plug it into certain jacks, the beige protector tab is not only in the way, it makes it more difficult to press down on the clear, clicking tab so you can take the plug out of the jack.

What should be a "benefit" wasn't tested in enough jacks. The packaging might be "frustration-free," but the product itself has frustration built in. Not a big deal, but I won't buy this cable again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed!, April 15, 2010
A Kid's Review
I use this Ethernet Cable to connect my Roku to my computer to stream Netflix. The connection cable is very solid, unlike other cables that don't fit right. Streaming is great and I haven't had a problem at all. Excellent price too!

5.0 out of 5 stars No-frills patch cable for ethernet connections, October 2, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Amazon's ethernet patch cable connects well and solidly, although the little rubber nub that protects the tab makes it slightly difficult to remove the first few times because, at least on my computer, the rubber nub jammed up against the computer. Once it softened a bit, it worked well, both to remove the cable and to protect my fingers.

At 50 feet, this cable is intended for hardwired connections in different rooms or to thread in the walls/under the floor. For most uses in wireless households, the length is overkill; however, many devices still require non-wireless connections to a router, and for those, this is perfect.

But it's still just a patch cable. Nothing special. The Frustration-Free packaging was welcome: the most difficult part to open was label that acted as a seal. You get a plain brown cardboard box containing a coiled cable secured with a single twist tie. No plastic bags or blister packs. The only strange part was that the cardboard box came packed inside another, fairly large cardboard box.

For an affordable, no-frills ethernet cable, this is a good choice.

-- Debbie Lee Wesselmann

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cable that does the job, December 3, 2010
Good cable that does what it's supposed to do. I used it to connect my Panisonic bluray player to my router and it worked fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars AmazonBasics Cable gets the job done, October 25, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I run half of my home computer network wirelessly and the other half on Cat5 cables, which allow for greater security and higher speeds than WiFi. The AmazonBasics RJ45 Cat5e Ethernet Patch Cable seems to be as fast as any of the cables I've used. The white color blends in with my white walls in places where I cannot hide cables behind furniture and equipment.

The price of this cable is comparable to other online stores and less than most brick-and-mortar stores. The Amazon packaging is nice in that it comes straight out the box without having to cut any plastic to free it and without anything hard to untie. I like the protective covers at each end of the cable on the plugs. They should stop the plastic tabs from breaking off, a problem I've experienced with other cables. As for durability, only time will tell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, High Quality Cable, March 28, 2010
Arthur Zhang (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this cable for a few bucks more than a generic cable, for quality reasons. An ethernet cable will work regardless of its quality (it's just a cable), but many cheaper cables have much crappier wire coverings and its extremely annoying to remove the heads once you connect them. With this cable however, the heads are easy to remove, and the casings very high quality. If I have need of another ethernet cable, I'll buy these again for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain ethernet cable, April 30, 2011
DKT "Don" (Wilmington, DE) - See all my reviews
I needed a very long ethernet cable for only one reason: My Motorola Surfboard modem (only 4 years old!) went belly up, so I switched my Internet connection to Comcast's phone modem (which has just one ethernet connection). I have a D-Link 150N router in my basement office that I needed to connect to the phone modem. I wanted to keep the router in the office, but the modem was installed in the center of my basement, 35-40' away. I used this cable to connect the modem to the router. It works perfectly. It was not the cheapest 50' cable, but the ones selling for $5-6 had too many problems (read the reviews!). I run a business from this office that depends heavily on the Internet, so could not chance using an unreliable cable. I opted to spend a little more and get one where the reviews indicated no problems. IMO, it is still a bargain compared to the brick & mortor store prices (typically $35) in my area, including discount stores like Best Buy and H H Gregg.

Rate and Discover Movies