5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little High-Capacity SD Card That Beats Rated Specs
I really like this SD card. Although it is rated Class 4 (i.e., sustained write speeds of 4 MB/s), my testing revealed it to perform more like a Class 6 card (sustained write speeds of 6 MB/s). Check out my results using H2testw v1.4 (I also tested a Transcend 16 GB Class 10 SD card I own as a benchmark & for comparison. I ran two tests on each card):

TEST...
Published on July 27, 2011 by Tom Tracy

3.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Mediocre
I didn't want to review this card by anecdote alone so I used some testing software and compared this amazon 16GB Class 4 card to others I had handy and here are the results:

Amazon.com SDHC 16GB Class 4
AmazonBasics 16GB Class 4 SD Flash Memory Card
Warning: Only 500 of 15140 MByte tested.
Writing speed: 6.44...
Published on April 29, 2011 by IlPrimitivo

3.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Mediocre, April 29, 2011
IlPrimitivo (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

Amazon.com SDHC 16GB Class 4
AmazonBasics 16GB Class 4 SD Flash Memory Card
Warning: Only 500 of 15140 MByte tested.
Writing speed: 6.44 MByte/s
Reading speed: 12.5 MByte/s

HP Branded SDHC 16GB Class 4
HP 16 GB Class 4 SDHC Flash Memory Card Q6305A-EF
Warning: Only 500 of 15185 MByte tested.
Writing speed: 13.1 MByte/s
Reading speed: 17.5 MByte/s

RiData SDHC 4GB Class 2
(No longer available in Class 2 category)
Warning: Only 500 of 3805 MByte tested.
Writing speed: 4.00 MByte/s
Reading speed: 11.7 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

As you can see, the Amazon card is about 50% slower as the HP card in write speed and 30% slower in reading yet the cost of the Amazon card is 25% higher. Even compared to the old RiData SDHC 4GB Class 2 card the Amazon card is only 30% faster in writing and marginally faster in reading speed. Why is that?

The Amazon card may be adequate for it's class and full retail price point but when compared to the competition there are better choices to be made.

Amazon will need to demand a higher quality product from its suppliers if it wants to compete in the market with its own branded product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little High-Capacity SD Card That Beats Rated Specs, July 27, 2011
Tom Tracy (Northern GA, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

TEST 1

Amazon Basics 16 GB Class 4

Warning: Only 15139 of 15140 MByte tested.
Writing speed: 5.60 MByte/s
Reading speed: 8.58 MByte/s

Transcend 16 GB Class 10

Warning: Only 15378 of 15379 MByte tested.
Writing speed: 9.21 MByte/s
Reading speed: 11.9 MByte/s

TEST 2

Amazon Basics 16 GB Class 4

Warning: Only 15139 of 15140 MByte tested.
Writing speed: 5.49 MByte/s
Reading speed: 8.32 MByte/s

Transcend 16 GB Class 10

Warning: Only 15378 of 15379 MByte tested.
Writing speed: 9.20 MByte/s
Reading speed: 11.9 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

I like it when something performs *better* than it's rated specs! ;o) I would recommend this card without hesitation to family & friends...

4.0 out of 5 stars Good performance and value., May 11, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have used this in both my camcorder (JVC GZ-HM200BU)and my digital camera and it has worked well in both. The speed is beyond adequate for my needs (hobby photography) and the pictures and videos turned out really clear while using it. If you are a professional and using this for beyond "basic" needs, might make sense to compare speeds and classes on the card, but for every day basic photography needs, this card works great and is a pretty good value. It was quick and easy to transfer the pictures to my computer (HP, Windows 7).

3.0 out of 5 stars 8 GB Class 4 Memory Card, May 30, 2011
This review is from: AmazonBasics 8 GB Class 4 SDHC Flash Memory Card (Personal Computers)
The card certainly has capacity to spare, even shooting RAW files. However, like many of you I enjoy taking photographs at sporting events and that is where the difference between a class 4 card and a class 6 card (which I have several of) shows up.

The slower writing speed on the class 4 card, and slower transfer speed when off-loading the images to my computer, is disappointing ~ enough so that I will sacrifice capacity for enhanced speed when making future purchases.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything it should be, June 16, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The AmazonBasics 32GB Class 4 SD Flash Memory Card is everything it should be: a tiny card with a massive amount of storage. Very affordable when compared to "name brand" SD cards. Highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars This card worked surprisingly well for me, even when shooting HD video!, April 28, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love to take photographs and have been shooting for over 40 years. Memory cards may seem expensive but when you think about what we used to spend on film, processing and printing they seem pretty reasonable.

My more serious digital SLRs use Compact Flash cards but my point n' shoot and my video cameras use SD cards. I was a little unsure as to how this card would work (I received the 32GB Class 4 model) for me, especially since my video camera is capable of shooting in full 1080i HD mode and call for a Class 6 or better card. I have using this for a week and found that, although it is a little slower when loading, it works just fine when I am shooting or recording at my camera's highest resolution.

I just shot a couple of videos of Hulk Hogan (he was in town for a commercial and although I am not a wrestling fan I thought that it would be a good chance to try my new memory card out) in HD and they turned out great. I only noticed a small lag time when switching modes on my Samsung HZ15W camera. I posted them on YouTube and they looked really good for that kind of casual video.

As for the packaging; I can't say enough about Amazon's Frustration-Free Packaging! I hate it when I buy a memory card and spend 10 minutes or so trying to get the silly thing open. Those large plastic sarcophagi that they use to protect the cards from theft usually require a knife or a pair of scissors in order to free your newly purchased item. I guess that I can understand them doing that for at a retail shop, but when you order it on-line it's just not necessary. This little card came in a thick little envelope that I opened in about two seconds and without uttering any R-rated words. Bravo, Amazon!

I am very happy with my new card. I can shoot for over FIVE HOURS of HD video and take thousands of 12MP photos. As long as the price is somewhat below that of the Class 10 32GB cards this one should be a winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works just as well as 'name brands'., June 21, 2011
I bought this for use in my Canon 780 and it works fine. I usually use Sandisk cards and this seemed comparable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Buy This Product!, January 21, 2012
Donna J. Shaw (Dayville, CT United States) - See all my reviews
I ordered four of them. None of them would format in my camera, a Kodak Easyshare, or on my computer, a Toshiba laptop. They are completely unusable and worthless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great inexpensive SD Card, November 9, 2011
I bought this from amazon and it works great in my HF200 camera. No problems or complaints with it. It is a great class 4 SDHC card.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good basic storage, November 1, 2011
Carla D. Harnack (Corinth, Mississippi United States) - See all my reviews
I have had no problems with this SD card, and like that it is less expensive than name brands. I'd recommend it.

Rate and Discover Movies