Published on November 26, 2011 by Dennis A. Amith

2.0 out of 5 stars Get some good rechargeable batteries and a charger instead.
Usually I love Amazons basics. But this product does not live up to their usual standards.

Published on December 4, 2011 by Two kids mom

2.0 out of 5 stars Get some good rechargeable batteries and a charger instead., December 4, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

It does what it says it will do, keeps the rechargeable batteries charged. But, I would suggest purchasing a few good sets of rechargeable batteries (like Eneloop) and a charger over buying this product. The reasons I think rechargeable batteries would be a better solution are:

It is finicky about getting the connection made, the wrist strap often gets in the way.

You are supposed to take them out after they are charged. This is a pain. A real pain.

You cannot link the remote with the Wii (for example, my son used his remote at a friends house) because you cannot have the battery pack in and also push the button that links them. He had to get some regular batteries and put them in in order to reset the link.

You cannot charge them with silicone covers on the remotes.

Only charges when the Wii is on.

The glowing light is distracting when watching TV, and usually the Wii is near the TV.

4.0 out of 5 stars For a charge station it works and definitely much better than my previous Wii Dual Charger, November 26, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: AmazonBasics Dual Charge Station for Nintendo Wii - White (Video Game)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In the past, I used to use a Nyko Wii Dual Station Charger that would run via plugging it into your outlet. And since getting it back in 2007, one battery refuses to charge and one works. Even though you put it in, it says its charging but it doesn't work. So, I have to admit...I have become bitter towards dual station chargers and decided to go with rechargeable Eneloops.

But here were are in 2011, nearly five years later and reviewing another dual charger. I was surprised to find out that Amazon has its own line of products for the Wii via AmazonBasics.

I. UNPACKING

For the AmazonBasics Dual Charge Station, you get the station, two rechargeable batteries and a USB plug-in. This is my first time using a rechargeable station via USB and definitely prefer that over a wall wart (AC plug-in).

My Nyko chargers were a bit heavier, this one is lighter and I don't want to know what would happen if it was dropped on a hard surface as it seems quite light.

II. RECHARGING

After a full day of the kids playing and effectively powering down the battery, it was time to recharge. Put them in and blue docking lights mean that it's charging, green means they are fully charged.

One thing that caught my attention was that "Charging the batteries for more than 8 hours is not recommended as it could damage the batteries. For me, this is a first. It made me wonder if that is what killed my XBOX360 or original Wii batteries but I am the type of person who have left batteries in a dock while I slept overnight and at times, just forgot I had something recharging.

So, I know that this may be problematic for some (or a lot of) people.

JUDGMENT CALL:

The AmazonBasics Dual Charge Station for the most part works. It does what it needs to do, but for some who can forget that they are recharging these batteries and accidentally left it on more than 8 hours...this can be bad. Granted, I did not test to see how bad these batteries would be after 8 or even 24 hours of recharging but the fact that Amazon added that note made me quite curious.

Also, these are lighter than my previous Wii batteries, so if you are operating a Wii on a hardwood or tile surface, this is one you don't want to drop.

Other than that, these batteries do work and for anyone who owns a Nintendo Wii, while priced at $19.99, you can find others online that are cheaper.

2.0 out of 5 stars I normally love Amazon Basics... but not this one, December 12, 2011
MKinz "Mindi" (Salt Lake City, UT USA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I normally love Amazon Basics, but this one was a disappointment. First, we had to take the silicone covers off and the little square Wii motion sensitivity sensors on the bottom to get these to recharge. This was a really big pain and I was afraid I we were going to lose the accessories. The remotes are a little wobbly in the charging station and you have to make sure the wrist strap fits in the little notch in the back to make them a bit more secure.

The other thing that drove us a bit crazy was the fact that it was a USB attachment into the Wii station instead of using its own power cord. So, it was always glowing right in front of the TV. If your Wii is turned off, then it will not charge the remotes. It has to be at least turned on (green light showing on Wii) or in the standby (yellow light showing on the Wii) position.

We have always just used batteries, so we were hopeful this charging station would work well. However, I think we will go back to using our regular batteries. Maybe if we were true gamers and played all the time, I would think twice, but right now we only replace the batteries in the four chargers ever couple of months and maybe only play the Wii a couple times during the week.

1.0 out of 5 stars Go with a better brand on this one, March 18, 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
These worked ok at first ... I have rechargeable energizers that last longer and Do not fry the wii plus remotes as these ones did after one month of use... I would not recommend these in any case maybe I got a bad set but now I am out a wii mote and a wii motion plus ... and no they were not left on the charger for extended periods ... its pretty simple you put them on and the light stays blue until fully charged then turns green

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money and buy a better system, February 6, 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I purchased this item in mid-December last year. One of the batteries had to be 'handled' just so when placing on the dock to charge and after less than two months refused to charge at all. Also, I noticed that the batteries tended to be overly snug getting into the remotes and required a lot of pressure to get in, as opposed to the Nykko system I just purchased today to replace this item. I know the reviews were mixed before I purchased this item, but I put a lot of trust into Amazon, and this is one of the few times I have been disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dual retarded, January 28, 2014
This product would not hold a charge. I charged them for twelve hours, then put them in Mario cart steering wheels and all they did was blink like they were dead.

4.0 out of 5 stars Necessary accessory if you want to use rechargeable batteries, December 28, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It is so nice to have rechargeable batteries for our Wii remotes and a charging station is a simple way to charge them. This charging station prepares two remotes for use very quickly, usually a few hours. It conveniently uses USB for its power source and includes a cable, so it was easy to get set up. When the batteries are charged, the light surrounding the remote base turns green. It is very noticeable and lets me know the controls need to come off the charger. This charging station comes with the batteries. They are Ni-MH though, so they will be ruined if left on the charger once fully charged. It would be better if the batteries were lithium ion so they wouldn't get damaged from a partial charge or from sitting on the charger. The product page claims the remotes last up to 15 hours from a single charge. I've found it to be more like seven hours. And regular Duracell batteries last longer than any rechargeable battery I've tried.

Lastly, it comes in frustration-free packaging, which is always a plus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice accessory, removes need for batteries!, December 27, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I initially ordered this, I have to confess I didn't pay 100% attention to what I was asking for. I thought this was going to be one of those things that I had to plug into a wall. When it arrived without a power outlet, I thought I was going to have to house it on a USB port at my computer. I had totally forgotten that there's two USB ports on the back of the Wii itself, so I moved it there. It's sitting quite nicely next to the Wii console itself.

I have to say, the need not to have to worry about putting batteries in there is quite nice. Plus, since the device doesn't require a power adapter, makes it especially nice. You basically take off the existing backing to the Wii battery compartments on the Wiimotes, replace them with the ones in this item, and then plug THEM into the adapter.

BIG deal regarding the charger though - if you use those rubber jackets that Nintendo has been shipping for ages on the controllers, it won't fit in the charge slot. You have to take it out of the Wii "Jacket" to put it into the charger. Given I don't generally play with mine on, that's not an issue, but if you do, you might have to consider the hassle of taking it on and off a lot. You can though take the battery compartment off the Wii controller and put just THAT into the charger, but I prefer putting the entire controller in there, less wear and tear on the battery compartment that way. :)

I've had this for about a month at this point, and I can say that the recharged batteries don't last as long as conventional batteries. But, you don't have the issue of paying for new batteries either, so I suppose it's a trade-off in regards to that. I think it's one worth taking.

In all, I was QUITE pleased with the performance of this, and can very heartily recommend it if you burn through a lot of batteries for your Wiimotes.

UPDATE DEC 2014: This got transplanted to my WiiU, as that still uses Wiimotes, and it's still doing its job several years later. Gotta love that for a product - they all can't say that.

3.0 out of 5 stars charging station for Wii-motes - not the best option, March 8, 2012
kre8iv1 (Fort Wayne, IN) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The unit has 2-slots and comes with 2 rechargeable battery packs and costs around $20.

Slots are blue while charging, green when fully charged.... but you can't charge them with silicone sleeves on the remotes, the wrist strap gets in the way, and they only charge when the Wii itself is on (cannot have the "red" light on, must be green or amber).

Also, the instructions say "do not charge for more than 8 hours".... well, that's a problem for me because I like to leave them in the charger and go on with my life. I don't want to have to "remember" to remove batteries from a charger. This may not be an issue for some, but for me it is.

Honestly I am looking for a different set.

Hope this helps.

3.0 out of 5 stars Convenient, with caveats, December 1, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been using standard rechargeable AA batteries for my Wii remotes. They work great, and you can always have an extra set in the charger ready to go for when you batteries lose power mid-game. But I always thought these dedicated charging stations looked pretty cool. You finish the game, set the remotes in the dock, and you are ready to go next time you play, right!

Not so much.

This "AmazonBasics Dual Charge Station" is convenient and cool. The batteries charge fast, and stay charged for a good length of time. The charger is color-coded, with blue lights meaning charging and green lights meaning done. But it does have a couple of major limitations:

1. Batteries can only be charged for eight hours - There is a warning that these batteries shouldn't be charged for longer than eight hours, or it will damage the batteries. So that takes away the plan of setting the remotes in the charging station and having them ready to play, because I usually go longer than eight hours between Wii sessions.

2. Plug is USB only - The goal here is that you plug this directly into your Wii. The dilemma is that it only charges when the Wii is turned on. So in order to charge your remotes, you have to leave your Wii on but not play it. It will also work in "Standby Mode," which is only available if you have your Wii hooked up to wireless internet and WiiConnect24.

Of course, you can plug your charger into anything that has a USB port, like a computer, and use that as a charging station, or even get an adaptor that lets you plug into a wall socket. But having a USB-only cord is not nearly as useful as having a standard plug. I can only assume that it is cheaper on the manufacturing end. The same with the eight-hour charging limit. My AA standard rechargeable batteries shut off when then read as full. I don't see why this charger couldn't do the same.

It is kind of a trade-off. You gain some convenience in exchange for some inconvenience. While having a Wii remote charger is definitely a good thing, it is probably better to shop around for the different models and pick the best one. Because this isn't it.

AmazonBasics Dual Charge Station for Nintendo Wii - White