2,258 Reviews
 (1,819)

5.0 out of 5 stars case for wd 2tb passport
The Western Digital My Passport 2 TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive -WDBY8L0020BBKNESN fits in this case with the usb.
Published 24 months ago by Just another number

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent basic hard case
Bought this to try out instead of the Drive Logic DL-64 hard case I normally use.
The AmazonBasics is much smaller in size than the DL-64, measuring approximately 4-1/4 x 5-1/2 x 1-1/2 exterior and 4-3/4 x 3-1/2 x 1/4 interior.
Published 12 months ago by DH

5.0 out of 5 stars case for wd 2tb passport, September 26, 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars Portable Hard Drive Case Scientific Experiment, February 1, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We all have external portable hard drives. Most of us have several of them. Like rabbits, they seem to multiply over time. And they get larger--much larger. What was 250 GB the day before yesterday was 500 GB yesterday and a terabyte today. The more they hold, the more we stand to lose if they are dropped and the data is not backed up elsewhere.

Sadly, the portable drives that carry around our prized possessions (photos, music, videos, data files, etc.) often go unprotected. (True, some portable hard drives come with cases of sorts--but, really, how good is their protection?) And consider how many portable drives we purchase that come with no case at all. Nothing to protect that which is protecting our valuable data. How can this be allowed?

Apparently, the folks at Amazon have recognized this shortcoming and have offered us a solution in the AmazonBasics Hard Carrying Case for My Passport Essential. The case feels rugged enough and while it doesn't offer a great deal of padding, the webbing and elastic drive strap inside may help in the event of a few minors falls. The case has a stiff outer shell that may provide some additional protection. Most importantly, you have something to keep your portable drive housed in while it is not in use.

Although they do vary a bit in size and shape, most modern portable drives seem close to being the same form factor. That led me to wonder why Amazon singled out the Passport Essential Drive for this case. Was it some cross advertising deal with Western Digital? Was it that they plan to offer an entire line of AmazonBasics Hard Carrying Cases each intended for a specific manufacture's model? So, in the interest of science, I conducted an experiment to see what other portable drives might fit in this case. I gathered my portable drives together and tried each one individually in the carrying case that I had received. Here are my results:

* Maxtor 320 GB (very old drive) - Too large to fit
* OWC Mercury 250 GB - Too large to fit (besides it comes with its own leather case)
* Seagate Expansion 500 GB- Too long to fit
* Seagate FreeAgent Go 640 GB - Too large to fit (besides it comes with its own case)
* WD Elements Portable SE 320 GB - It fits, but it is a very tight squeeze
* Toshiba 640 GB - Fits perfectly
* WD My Passport 500 GB - Fits and actually is a bit small for the case
* WD My Passort Essential 1 TB - Fits perfectly (as was expected)
* WD My Passport Studio 500 GB - Too large to fit
* Apple iPhone 3GS - Fits perfectly (it's not a hard drive, but I just had to give the iPhone a try)

(* No drives were intentionally harmed during this testing.)

Obviously, Amazon was right in making the case specific to one drive. One size fits all certainly isn't the case with portable drives. And having a case to protect my 1 TB My Passport Essential portable drive is really worthwhile. So go ahead. Pick one or more up for your own My Passport Essential portable drives. Your drive and your data will thank you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Portable Drive Case, February 5, 2012
I own this case, and the case logic EVA case. I think they are equal, and they are both great. They are firm cases, with nice heavy zippers. They both have a place to keep a cable as well. I prefer the case logic, only because it is cheaper. I would buy whichever one is cheaper at the time you need it. Either one is a great case.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent basic hard case, September 11, 2013
The case is reasonably hard and covered with a nylon cloth, apparently single-stitched. My WD-My Passport fits very well in the interior, held in place with a 1" elastic strap. On the other side of the case interior is a mesh pocket of approximately 3-1/2 x 3-1/2.
While the case appears adequate and well made, it does not have any padding, unlike the DL-64 case. I find this to be a big detraction, almost a deal killer.
There is no exterior pocket like the DL-64, so I am forced to store the HD cable in the interior mesh pocket. I note that when the cable is stored, it contacts directly against the HD unit. The fit is so tight that on first try I had difficulty closing and zippering the case shut. With the lack of padding and the stored cable in such direct contact with the HD I do not believe is very good for the drive.
Overall, the AmazonBasics is an adequate hard case, is cheaper in price and 1/3 smaller than the DL-64, but I prefer the padding and exterior storage capability of the DL-64 and will stay with that brand.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect case for a Western Digital Passport 2TB hard drive, April 22, 2013
Gregie (Texas, USA & Iraq) - See all my reviews
This is the perfect case for a Western Digital Passport 2TB hard drive. The only thing better would be to have your name embroidered on it. Otherwise, the size is just right for the drive and the cable. The case is firm enough to protect the portable hard drive from a desk height fall, but it is not a hard case that is crush resistant.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME FOR WD MY PASSPORT DRIVES, January 15, 2013
I bought this to protect a new WD My Passport 2TB drive and it perfecty fits and keep out sand and dirt of the harsh Afghanistan environment... Well constructed and easy to grab zipper make for outstanding utility...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, August 4, 2012
Bought this along with a Toshiba Canvio 1.0 TB portable drive - fits like a champ! It's well made and will no doubt provide my drive with superior protection as I'm chucking that bad boy around when I travel. You could spend a bunch more dough, but I doubt you'll get a better case!

4.0 out of 5 stars Smaller than official hard carrying case from Western Digital, February 14, 2011
Jerry Jackson Jr. (Cincinnati, OH United States) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The AmazonBasics Hard Carrying Case for the Western Digital (WD) My Passport Essential external hard drive is a simple yet functional product. I own several of the WD My Passport Essential hard drives and I also own one of the "official" hard carrying cases that WD makes for the My Passport hard drives.

First, let me say that this drive is really only made for the newest designs of the My Passport hard drives. If you own one of the older (physically larger) hard drives then this carrying case from AmazonBasics is probably going to be too small. That said, if you own one of the new drives this case works fine.

The exterior is a black clam shell style case with a durable plastic zipper. The hard shell has minimal padding so it will protect your hard drive from bumps and scuffs but probably won't save it from a drop out of a second-story window.

The interior is orange with a black pocket for holding the USB cable for your hard drive. Again, the case is pretty small, so if you aren't using the tiny USB cable that originally came with the hard drive then the cable might not fit inside the case.

I would have given this case five out of five stars but the official WD hard carrying case (WDBABJ0000NBK-NRSN) is less expensive than this case and the official case is a little larger and can fit older My Passport hard drives (as well as new ones) and has more room for longer USB cables.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Case!, December 29, 2012
Use this case for a 1TB Western Digital Passport and it fits perfectly. Has a nice mesh spot for the USB cable. The case is seems pretty sturdy so far!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit!, December 28, 2012
This fit my WD My Passport 1 TB Portable External Hard Drive like a globe, and there is a side pocket for the cord as well. Love it!

AmazonBasics External Hard Drive Case