1,517 of 1,574 people found the following review helpful
on October 12, 2013
=============================
Comment added on 31 October 2013-

AmazonBasics lists three different antennas under one sales entry point but there are major differences in antenna size and reception. Selecting the right antenna will make a difference in the broadcast [OTA] signals your television set receives. My advice is begin by using this site

[...] [antennaweb dot org]

and follow the steps using the ZIP code for your location, and then choose which of these three antennas might work best for your local area.

======================================
I considered the Mohu Leaf products but decided on this AmazonBasics model because prior buys of AmazonBasics cables has proved their worth as a product line to me, saving 15 dollars over a similar Leaf was a plus. I used a zip code based search service to see how many channels are available in my geographic area, 18 in total. With the AmazonBasics amped antenna 16 is exactly what I receive after removing some duplicate non-HD repeater signals and learning two listed stations are private and coded. Excellent reception as I'm approximately 10 to 30 miles away from the originating signals.

Unpacking was easy as was connecting the cable to my television set, selecting channel signal type to "Antenna", and running "Auto Program". Bingo!, bright and clear picture and sound on the first try placing the antenna on an inside wall about six feet up.

I choose the amplified antenna because of my location and signal reception concerns, in hindsight I might have been able to use the AmazonBasics standard non-amplified antenna, but I went for the possible boost in reception performance for my location and distance from signals.

Very satisfied with antenna and results.

Konrad.
4545 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
963 of 1,035 people found the following review helpful
on December 9, 2013
Could not be happier with the AmazonBasics HP flat antenna. This was just what I'd hoped for. After ditching Comcast cable 6 months ago and then last week no longer receiving even a handful of OTA, thanks to Comcast trying to strong-arm former customers by blocking the handful of local OTA channels. Btw, Comcast, hate you even more now; we are never, ever getting back together again. ;-)

So, I shopped around and decided on this AmazonBasics HP HDTV antenna, as well as one Mohu Leaf flat antenna (@ same price). We needed one for the downstairs den/media room tv and one for the upstairs master bedroom tv. I figured one of those two antennas not only do the trick but that one would be better. (Both were forehead slapping easy to install and set-up: plug 'n' play then run channel scan. Any issues, just shift the antenna a little this way or that until satisfied with the reception and picture on all the received channels. We pulled in @ 30 on both the AmazonBasics HP and the Mohu Leaf.)

When they first arrived, I hooked up the Mohu to the 4-year-old Sharp Aquos downstairs, since it's physically half the size of the AmazonBasics antenna and is more unobtrusive (it also has the shorter cable). I hooked up the AmazonBasics HP antenna to the small Samsung upstairs. After running the channel scan on each tv, to be honest, there was no difference whatsoever. Both pulled in the same number of channels, for us intownish big city single family home with lots of local stations, PBS and major cable network. We also have an ATV1 hooked up the lower TV and an ATV2 upstairs for streaming just about every channel we used to receive with cable, as well as some premium movie channels. What neither ATV did was stream local channels, which was why I got the AmazonBasics antenna and the Mohu. Now we're covered, receiving about 200+ channels between these indoor antennas and the ATV1 downstairs and the ATV2 upstairs. I cannot imagine being a cable customer again. Both these two flat indoor antennas paid for themselves in one month. Would buy either of them again in a heartbeat.
2121 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 20, 2015
The indoor/outdoor (“60 mile”) version is a darn good antenna… significantly better than the square/flat ones you hang in a window. First, when dealing with any antenna, there’s 3 golden rules:
1. Line of sight is key.
2. Connections and wire (coax cable) can make—or ruin—a good signal.
3. Re-read #1 and #2 again.
Use any of the free resources online, like antennaweb.org or dtv.gov (and click on consumer resources, then reception maps) will let you know if you’re a good candidate for over-the-air (OTA) reception, and the quality of antenna you’ll need. In my case, I live in San Diego on a pretty prominent hill with little obstructions – no trees, tall buildings or anything else nearby that would impede line of sight (remember #1 above) towards the transmission towers. I have two sets of towers about 15 miles north-west and south-east from me, and another set of towers about 19 miles due south (in Mexico.. TeleMundo, oh yeah!).
When I got this antenna, I tested it by resting it on the front porch steps and got a full 30+ digital channels. On the porch. Fast forward a few hours and after building a simple base out sections of 2x4s and weighting them down with a cinderblock on the roof (didn’t want to deal with risks of leaks by drilling into the roofing), the thing is rock solid up there and gets me 43 digital channels. Placement is everything and although the antenna isn’t overly sensitive to direction, having it going cross-wise perpendicular to where the 2 main cluster of TV towers are got the best results.
Side note: I hooked up the included “amplifier” and the number of stations dropped to 33. YMMV. I say, try running the channel scan without it, then with it, and go with whatever works for you.
On the second point, clean, quality cable runs of limited distance and minimal “connections” are your friend. Don’t piece sections of cable together with splitters. Avoid connections wherever possible. It’s best to spend $12 for a good quality 25-foot cable, than to use splitters to join 2 or 3 sections of cable. And use a good quality cable, splitters (only as necessary), and you should get a good result with this antenna.
review image review image
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Style Name: 25 MileVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Review of the **Regular Performance** Model

Over a year ago I purchased a Mohu Leaf for a bedroom TV, the original version basic Leaf, good for a 35 mile radius under optimal conditions. I was able to pick up 39 channels with the Mohu.

This AmazonBasics antenna looks like a Mohu Leaf, but slightly smaller in size. I placed it in the same location as the Leaf, did a channel scan and came up with 37 channels. Two channels less than the Leaf, but they weren't channels I watched anyhow (local religious channels that operate on low power signals).

I was able to place a framed photograph on the wall OVER the antenna to help hide it, with no loss of signal. I've also experienced clouds, rain and snow flurries the past 2 days with no signal loss due to weather conditions.

I see no difference in color brightness or picture quality with this antenna over the Leaf....and no matter if you choose this AmazonBasics or the Mohu Leaf, they both look a heck of a lot better than ugly rabbit ears. If you don't want to spend twice as much for the Leaf, this is a GREAT alternative.

Of course, this is a "your mileage may vary" type of thing. So many things can affect your signal - not only the distance from your location to the towers, or hills or flat land, or building materials; lots of things determine what strength signal you will receive.

NOTE: Installed on a south-facing bedroom wall, one-story ranch with vinyl siding, not near a window, suburbs, flat ground; most of the towers I pick up are on the other side of the city, 20-25 miles to the northwest, with the exception of one channel where its tower is 8 miles to the northeast.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 17, 2014
I live on a military installation. Currently in a rural area about 5 miles from the nearest major city. I get about 10 Channels and about 5 are HD. Combined with Amazon Prime and or Netflix, Hulu and your favorite internet subscription this can be a great way to get your local channels without having to pay 30 to 40 dollars a month.

Make sure to put as high as you can on a wall and if possible on an outside window facing south as most satellites and radio signals come for this direction. Do a search for antenna lookup and this will help you figure out what channels you can get and which antenna is best for your use.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

I recommend this product.

If this review helped you please give me a thumbs up and let me know.
review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Style Name: 25 MileVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The first thing that struck me about the AmazonBasics Ultra Thin Indoor HDTV Antenna was the size of it by comparison to the Mohu Leaf Ultimate Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna, as well as the Winegard FL5500A FlatWave Amplified Razor Thin HDTV Indoor Antenna, both of which I own and have reviewed. (See the Mohu Leaf Ultimate for a video review of the product and for placement tips of all of these types of antennas.) The AmazonBasics Ultra Thin is about 20% smaller and thus, a smaller area to receive signals, which isn't really a great thing when you're depending upon that area to 'catch' the over-air broadcasts.

I currently have to use an amplified version to catch signals due to where I live; rural setting, with towers approximately 50 miles away. If I was in a city, with towers within 20 miles, this antenna would undoubtedly do a better job than it does for me now. That goes for the Winegard and Mohu products as well. NOTE: You have to choose an antenna that has the range to get the signals!

Over air HD signals from all the major networks can be pulled in with the amplified antennas in my area, but not this one. I picked up about half the channels I could with the others, using the same placement.

NOTE:Placement and power of the antenna's draw (range) are key to success with ANY of the flat, thin antennas.

Finding out where your towers are (easy to do with an online search of 'over air antennas in my area') will help you figure out what kinds of antennas are recommended for your home, and how you should first attempt to angle the antenna for reception. **Do this BEFORE you buy one of these antennas to make sure it has the right range for your area.**

As for build quality, this antenna is on par with Mohu and Winegard. Made in USA and a great value for the price if it works at your location.

I do like to point out that the 15' cable (generous length) is permanently attached to the antenna, so if it breaks you'll have to buy another antenna. The Mohu has an antenna that screws into the antenna, making it a better deal in the long run, assuming it's not the antenna that dies on you!

Overall, I think this is a good option for someone in an urban area that's close to towers (15-20 miles), and already is able to get reception. You can hang them in a window or on the wall, and they are more attractively hidden than rabbit ears as they pick up HD channels.

If you live in a rural area with mountains between you and the towers, you'll probably want something amplified like the AmazonBasics Extreme Performance Ultra Thin Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna - Designed and Assembled in USA or the Mohu Leaf Ultimate Amplified.

REGARDING SIGNALS: You will only pick up signals as they are broadcast. For example, if something is sent over-air in 1080i and your TV can reproduce that HD signal, you'll see it. If it's only broadcast in 480p - that's the best resolution you'll get, even on a HDTV capable of 1080i over air broadcasts.

REGARDING WEATHER: Yes, weather does affect this antenna. If it's windy or storming, channels will go in and out. Satellite TV has this issue as well as do other over-air antennas.

UPDATE: 1/29/14

REGARDING REVIEWS THAT SAY "IT DOESN'T WORK": That's rare that you'll get a dud, but it does happen. More often than not it's more likely that the user has gotten an antenna for an area with over-air channels that are being broadcast from too far out, and they need a more powerful antenna. Or the user has placed the antenna in one location and assumed since they didn't get the TV signals they wanted, it must be the antenna's fault.

It's been my experience that if you do these things, you'll be happy with a flat antenna purchase from AmazonBasics, Mohu or Winegard.

1. Before you buy, make sure you check online where your local towers are, and how far away from your location they are broadcasting over-air signals. If the farthest one is 25 miles away, you will not get it with an antenna like this one that has a range of 15-20 miles. It just doesn't have the power!

2. When you set-up your flat antenna, have about 4 or 5 placement options in mind, and know which channels you expect to bring in. As you place the antenna the first time, do a signal scan on your TV to see if you get all the channels; checking the signal quality. Do this multiple times until you get all the channels you want. You may have to do this scan every week or two in order to maintain quality signals.

3. Remember that you are getting over-air FREE TV, and that alone may be worth the hassle of the first two!

UPDATE: 3/11/14 - NOTE there are (3) different flat antennas with (3) ranges to choose from and all are AmazonBasics. **Regular Performance, High Performance and Extreme Performance models.

In response to the Mohu Leaf and Winegard flat antennas having other models, AmazonBasics has come out with (3) different models. Each one has a different range listed in their product description. They are competitively priced, and appear to be essentially the same thing as the Mohu and Winegard models.

Be sure when you are ordering to get the model that reaches far enough from your location to grab all the possible over-air channels in your area. Locate those channels by using AntennaWeb dot org prior to purchase.

Ranges are 15 (Regular), 35 (High) and 50 (Extreme) miles - so buy accordingly! If you want an antenna that pulls in signals from 60 miles away and can be placed in your attic or on your roof, give the Mohu MH-110533 Refurbished Sky HDTV Antenna a try.

NOTE: At the time of this original review there was only (1) AmazonBasics model - the Regular Performance, 15 mile range model. The original review was written in response to use of that model. The other two antennas are AMPLIFIED antennas; using AC or USB power from your HDTV to offer a more powerful antenna.

I have not tested either of these amplified models of AmazonBasics, but have cut ties with cable by using the amplified versions of the Mohu Leaf and Winegard models. I trust that the AmazonBasics amplified High Performance and Extreme Performance models would work just as well as they look to be physically identical.

UPDATE: 4/23/14

In response to so many questions about over-the-air TV and flat antennas, I wrote a book. Simple Guide to Over-the-Air Free TV which explains setup, the importance of location, supplementing with streaming media, and much more.

Also, if you see in a review or elsewhere that HD over air is 1080p - it's not. It's actually 1080i which means it's uncompressed and actually better quality than the compressed 1080p that is used by cable.

--------------------------

UPDATE 2/23/15

Want to know how to supplement your over air TV with Sling TV internet TV streaming media service? Sling TV gives you ESPN, Disney and some other great channels. If you want to learn more, check out my latest book: Simple Guide to Sling TV.
on December 13, 2014
I purchased this antenna to receive the local channels after deciding to finally get rid of cable. I live within Richmond, VA city limits and bought the 35-mile version just in case i ended up moving further away from the city in the future. Currently, I live on the fourth floor of a seven story apartment building. The antenna came pretty quickly.

Most of the setup is straight-forward as the antenna and cable are one piece. The antenna is pretty flimsy and is made to be attached to the wall or laid out on a surface. You simply need to screw in the coax cable into the back of the TV and run a channel scan. Most HDTV's will have a built in digital tuner. The hardest part of the setup was figuring out where and how to position the antenna. The placement of the antenna can affect the signal dramatically. I tried four placements: (1) on the wall behind the TV, (2) laid flat below the living room window, (3) on the right upper corner of the wall near the window, (4) on the left upper corner of the wall near the window. I found the second option to be the best even though many people recommended to place the antenna higher up to improve performance. I also noticed orientation can make a difference. I rotated the antenna by 90 degrees and noticed an improvement in signal. The final antenna position is shown in the photo. When trying to figure out the placement, it is important that you re-scan for channels for each antenna position in case you missed some channels in the previous setup. Hopefully, you will only notice a difference in signal strength and not in the number of channels you pick up. I notice that I was able to "pick up" may one additional channel in a different position but usually the signal was too weak for the channel to display properly (this was ok as the station that was trying to be picked up was a DC station).

After scanning for channels, I picked up 19 channels including 7 HD channels. Of these channels, 17 have strong enough signals to display properly. The HD channels do come in pretty clear once i figured out the antenna placement. The signal for 6 of the 7 HD channels are fairly strong. My TV displays signal strengths for the individual channels and I get an average of 80% for the 6 HD channels.

Overall, I bought the antenna to watch HD broadcasts from the local stations (ABC, CBS, etc.) and this antenna did a great job of picking up the stations. The setup was easy with the hardest part being antenna placement. As I live in the city, the 25 mile version probably would have been sufficient. I would recommend this antenna to others that live a reasonable distance to a major city.
review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
it does get me 35 channels. It picks them up quite speedily. However, the problem begins when something as small as a truck rides in front of my apartment building in the parking lot. Also, there is a helicopter that flies somewhere over my house and whenever this happens the signals go out until it clears the area.

As if that in and of itself was not a dealbreaker, it does not pick up ABC or NBC. It does pick up CBS. I live in a major metropolitan city where TV stations have towers everywhere. This should not be happening. Due to the signal dropping and lack of better channel selections I am out shopping for a new antenna. I have attached a photograph to this review so that you can see that the placement of it could not be any better
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I'm a lifelong "gadget guy". ..Serious former Short Wave Radio enthusiast & "Ham" radio operator. I can tell you antenna science is 75% of over the air reception. I've tried, experimented with & built antennas for AM, FM. Analog TV, & Wifi & digital TV. I do not know everything but I do know something about signal reception. This antenna is as good or better than the more expensive 'Leaf' & its better than most gimmick amplified antennas.

My neighbors thought I was getting amazing results (22 channels) with a leaf and then a black tile RCA antenna until they saw the 26 channels I get with this Amazon Basics. A lot depends on what you have around you (that can deflect signals) & where you place any TV antenna. YOU MUST try different locations and YOU MUST run your TV's channel scan EVERYTIME you move your antenna.

There is a window on each side of my TV but they face the wrong direction so I get only six or so channels through them. I straddle a corner of the room with the antenna (12feet away from the TV) to get 26 channels. By changing the direction of the antenna face I get five different Channels (and lose four others). I used 2 RCA antennas and a cable switch so I could switch between the two directions. I plan to do the same with this one. With that setup I will get 31 channels total.Height is important, the higher the better. I place mine just below the ceiling.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 4, 2014
My wife and I recently got rid of Direct TV and switched to Netflix, but we missed having the networks for news, weather, & sports. So, I went to Walmart and bought one of their mid-grade antennas (I believe it was the GE 34700). I could only pickup 2 channels with video (very poor quality) & neither of them had audio. I was very disappointed b/c we live in the Wash DC metro and I know there are a ton of channels available. I just figured our house must be in a bad location (our house is situated in a hollow within our neighborhood). So it was with a lot of doubt that I decided to purchase the Amazon AB-5000 (the Mohu version was too expensive). When it arrived & I had this flimsy thing in my hands, I had even greater doubts that it would work. It took about 2 minutes to install & all I can simply say is I am AMAZED!!! We get about 37 channels (every network) all in amazing High Definition for FREE (no more DirectTV for us!!). I would definitely recommend trying this antennae even if others failed. Thank you Amazon for an amazing product.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...