Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Length: 9.8 Feet|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change
Price:$6.49 - $12.99

on August 30, 2010
Many Windows based notebooks are now equipped with VGA & HDMI ports, but no DVI port. Many external monitors are equipped with VGA & DVI ports, but no HDMI port. While the analog VGA connection works, a digital connection works better. As it happens DVI is simply a subset of the HDMI standard.

This cable works great for making digital connections from a notebook with a HDMI port to an external monitor with a DVI port.
1010 comments|430 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 2009
I use this cord to attach a Blu Ray player to my 6 year old Toshiba projection TV (720p) which does not have HDMI ports. The picture is very good and the length of the cord allows me to run it through the top of the etertainment center, down the back, and then into the TV.

Pricing these from other big box stores found this to be about 1/3 of the price. Those store will tell you that their product is better, lasts longer, not as much heat, blah, blah. Well...
1) I see no difference in picture quality between this and more expensive brand names.
2) Heat? Off an HDMI>DVI cable. Ummmm, I have no idea what the Best Buy guy was talking about.
3) I can buy this one 3 times and still spend less money.

This is the best bet all around
88 comments|186 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2010
I use to connect my PC to the TV and the length is excellent, the field is strong, however, should suggest buying "Belkin Audio Y Cable Splitter 1-Mini Plug/2-RCA Plugs (6ft)" with this, because DVI does not transmit sound only video, but in general is just what the doctor recommended me
77 comments|224 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 26, 2010
Purchased this cable to connect a PC (DVI out) to a 1080p flat panel (HDMI in) to use the flat panel as a monitor and to watch movies from the PC (including Blu Ray). No complaint with the image quality at all, but keep in mind that this kind of setup requires separate cable(s) for sound. This cable meets/exceeds the requirements for my setup, so I recommend this cable without reservation. Don't let the low price concern you, as the quality is just fine. Seems like a major waste of money to buy a big brand name cable that would do the same thing at SEVERAL times the price. I have purchased a few of those high-end, high-price cables previously and they are very good, but I can't discern a difference in the image quality.
22 comments|98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2015
im crying happy tears. i spent money on all these other off brand wires and this Amazon Basics wire finally worked. I plugged it in to my ps4 into my monitor (i have an acer g226hql) AND I SAW THE LOGO POP UP AND I WAS SO HAPPY CAUSE ALL I NEEDED WAS ONE WIRE AND IT WAS UNDER $10. THANK YOU AMAZON BASICS FOR HOLDING IT DOWN WITH THE $7 WIRE . U DA TRU MVP
on December 6, 2014
It works! I purchased a new monitor and wanted a duel monitor set-up. My computer didn't have the another DVI connector. So my old monitor (HP 2009m) uses the original DVI connector. While my new monitor (AOC e2050Swd 20-Inch Class Screen LED-Lit Monitor) uses the HDMI port with the DVI connector in the back of the monitor.
on September 21, 2011
I was a bit skeptical at first when I saw how inexpensive this cable was in relation to the other available choices but all I had to do was prove that the "bundled" cable that came with my device was not working properly. I also needed a cable that was a bit longer than the 6' one that I was replacing so I could hook my laptop up to my TV.

The build quality seems to be very good and as I expected, the picture quality was significantly better than the one I was replacing. No more artifact or oversaturated colors, so I'm happy.

I guess another thing that I was happy about was the "frustration free" packaging. I had looked at some more expensive cables at several local retailers and they were packaged in the impenetrable hard plastic, vulcanized shut, clamshells that need to be cut open with a scalpel, sawzall and EMT scissors. I knew I was surely saving myself an additional trip to the ER to stitch a limb back on after trying to cut open one of those crazy packaging jobs that are designed to keep honest people out. So thanks to Amazon, all I had to do was open the box, undo a twist tie and hook the cable up and it was working. No bloodletting involved.

David
22 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 29, 2011
I honestly didn't think the difference between VGA and HDMI/DVI would be this incredible.

Wow. Best $8 I've ever spent.
on March 27, 2010
The cable works great. because it is a DVI connector on the back of the computer, no sound will go to the TV via this cable. I would recommend the HDMI to HDMI if you would want sound also.
on November 3, 2015
works as designed. no issues at all. have one monitor connected via regular HDMI cable, other with the amazon HDMI to dvi.