2,695
AmazonBasics Hard Carrying Case for 5-Inch GPS - Black
Package Type: Frustration-Free PackagingChange
Price:$9.49 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Package Type: Frustration-Free PackagingVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
For the past year or so, I've been carting around my GPS unit in a high-quality zippered nylon bag originally sent with the PSU that I put into my CPU tower about two years ago. I had been carrying my GPS in that pouch for two reasons: first, if I happened to leave it in a visible spot in my car, most people wouldn't expect a PSU pouch meant for carrying extra wires and cords to contain a GPS, thus removing the theft-worthiness of it at first glance; and, second, I still wanted to provide my glass touchscreen GPS with at least moderate protection when I threw it in my handbag. That Fatal1ty pouch covered both of those bases, but me being the picky person I can be, I just wasn't thrilled that the pouch wasn't a perfect fit for my GPS.

Enter this zippered "hard" case by Amazon. Honestly, I can't imagine that any branded product sold by or for GPS makers could be any better suited to comfortably holding your 5" GPS unit. The interior is clean and simple, with a mesh pouch built into one side, and an entirely open side for the other half of the clamshell-style case. The sides are attached with short but wide elastic strips that prevent the case from opening too far, and the interior is lined with a flocked, pumpkin-colored fabric.

My only slight qualm with this case is its page declaration that it's a "hard" case. As my subject heading says, it's more along the lines of a "firm" case, IMHO. The sides are clearly formed of some sort of reinforced cardboard-weight substance, but I'm not even sure that that's made of plastic pieces, because of the give from it when I poke a side. So, while this case DOES give my GPS better protection than my old modular PSU cable pouch did, I can't say that I really consider it to be a hard case. I can easily see the sides giving in if this case were to get squished in my purse (of course, considering all the crap I tend to carry in my oversized purses at any given time, that's not really a big surprise in MY case).

So, overall, I'm glad I've got this case for my GPS. It DOES provide more protection than my old method did, and the Amazon-branded product is just as good as anything else out there, but it's not truly a hard case in my opinion. It's spacious enough to hold the GPS unit within the pouch, with no loose rattling around of it in there, while also holding the power cable in the open side, but my suction cup windshield mount does NOT fit in the case with everything else in there. Does the job at a reasonable price, and well, so if this case is cheaper than the others you're considering for protecting your GPS, I give it a hearty thumbs-up, but if you see something else offered at a lower price, I would be hard-pressed to say that this item would do a better job of protecting it than any other "hard" GPS case.

Go with the cheapest option, be it this case, or another. I would expect the level of protection to be the same, either way.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 17, 2011
The case is large enough to store the car adaptor cord and the 5" system. It is sturdy enough to withstand bumps.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I can't say if the separation between the GPS and the car charger will prevent the car charger from scratching the GPS. It seems like it will though (The car charger also doesn't have any sharp edges). I feel there should have been another piece of material on the other side to keep the car charger in to make me feel positive that the car charger wouldn't scratch the GPS screen. You can always turn the GPS around, and the plastic zipper will not scratch the screen when inserting it. The fabric protecting the GPS seems to be sufficient, although I would have preferred it come up a little higher to completely cover the screen.

The material of the exterior shell usually holds up in the sun. If you've ever had one of those Case Logic Nylon CD cases Case Logic CDW-92 Nylon CD/DVD Wallet 100-Capacity (Black), you'll know that this material stands up extremely well to heat. Leather or faux usually doesn't stand up as well. BTW, Amazon also makes a faux Leather version, but you can only fit the GPS in. You'll have to find somewhere else to store your car charger. AmazonBasics Faux Leather Carrying Case for 5-Inch GPS I personally prefer to keep everything together. Hope this helps.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I was sent an Amazon Basics Hard Carrying Case for a 5" GPS from Amazon Vine. Here's my take on it.

This is a hard carrying case in black nylon with EVA padding. A nylon zipper opens three sides and two stretchy bands keep the top from opening completely. A stretchy pocket in the lid holds the power cable. Outside dimensions are approximately 6 ½ inches by 5 inches by 2 inches deep. My Tom Tom 1505 GPS device fits inside perfectly, although there isn't room to accommodate the car charger. Still, the sleek design protects the GPS unit from bumps or scratches and is ideal for travel or storage. Had the case accommodated the car charger, I would have given it a five-star rating.
on June 27, 2012
I was expecting a smaller case just for the nuvi but I've found that it can accommodate both the nuvi (in the mesh pocket) and the power cord.
review image
on November 4, 2011
This case is everything I hoped it would be. I've had my GPS for a few months now, but put off buying it a case since they were all really pricy. $19 for a SOFT case? No thanks. This AmazonBasics case has been out of stock for a long time, but I waited for it to become available since they were charging $10 for a hard case. It came back into stock for $8 and change! When I first ordered it, all I was hoping for was a case that could comfortably hold my Garmin 1450LMT. It holds my GPS in its little pocket and has room for the charger as well. Note: don't expect a hard plastic, completely crush-proof case. It does have a little give when smushed together. Unless you're lugging it around at the bottom of your tool box, you should be good to go. Well done, AmazonBasics. Well done. <3
on September 19, 2011
Overall this is a great case to give your gps good protection. The case is more of a stiff case rather than a hard case, but still better than a soft case.

PROS

-looks great and feels well made
-space for the gps and car charger (even with the traffic receiver being built in to the charger)

THINGS I WOULD HAVE LIKED TO SEE

-better divider/gps slot
-----I wish the little slab that held the gps was thicker and higher, thicker so that there was more protection from the charger scratching the screen and taller so it covered the whole screen. I have the screen facing the outside of the case to avoid this, but i would prefer to have the screen facing the inside.

-padding
-----There is really no padding in this case besides the case itself. The case feels tough enough while still having flex to absorb shock, but i would have liked to have seen some padding

Overall a great case, and even though i think some things could be better, for the price its an amazing case that offers good protection for your gps.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The nice thing about this case is that if you put a 5 inch GPS in it there is still room for the car power cord. I was forever losing the cord as my old case barely fit the unit.

The outside is not a hard shell but a stiff foam. The zipper is sturdy and easy to zip.

Great case at a good price.
on November 25, 2011
I got this case for my TomTom VIA 1505. It's a good price, and holds the GPS and the car cord with room to spare. I think in part it's the "room to spare" that I don't like, but then, with my older, smaller GPS units, I put the unit in the case and didn't worry about packing the cord in the case. I think I prefer that system, but I can see that some people would prefer to pack everything together, which would be good, for example, if you were taking the GPS on a plane for use in a rental car.

Pros:
1. Sized for a 5" GPS, and fits my TomTom (with attached suction cup).
2. Zipper goes around three sides and a bit on the back side; elastic on sides keeps case from flopping around when not fully zipped.
3. Inside stretch pocket for holding extra stuff.

Cons:
1. Not actually "hard"... it will smush if you step on it, for example.
2. Too big for what I'd like to carry in it (not necessarily tru for you!)
3. The elastic is too short for my tastes; I'd like the case to open a full 90 degrees with ease (it does open that far, but you're pulling on it)

It does the job, and I'm happy to have it. It's just not anything to ooh and aah over.
on September 19, 2011
Bought for my TomTom XXL 540TM 5-Inch Widescreen GPS. The clamshell is asymmetric; 1/3 thickness side has an interior mesh pocket that's stretchy enough to hold the TomTom with its standard windshield suction mount attached, but also snug enough to hold the TomTom without the suction mount attached. I store it with the screen facing the orange lining. The 2/3 thickness side is just roomy enough to stuff the car charger in fairly easily after folding up the cable. Zipper holds it shut securely. Elastics allow the clamshell to open just wide enough (I think I would have liked it a tiny bit wider). Orange lining is a nice touch that makes it easy to see inside.
As other reviewers have said "hard" doesn't mean designed for stepping on. Rather it protects the GPS screen from being scratched and it's rigid enough to hold its shape, presenting a nice neat package that's easy to pack and carry. Pleased with this purchase.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations