1,885 Reviews
 (1,213)

Published on September 3, 2011 by M.D. Edwards

2.0 out of 5 stars Garmin 5" GPS carrying case
Case was reasonable value but to large for a 5" GPS unit. Could not use due to the bulkiness of the case so went to Best buy and purchased a Case Logic case which works better for compact storage.
Published on August 14, 2011 by Keith H. Wooten

4.0 out of 5 stars Good GPS protection, but not a "hard" case so much as a "firm" one., September 3, 2011
This review is from: AmazonBasics Hard Carrying Case for 5-Inch GPS - Black (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For the past year or so, I've been carting around my GPS unit in a high-quality zippered nylon bag originally sent with the PSU that I put into my CPU tower about two years ago. I had been carrying my GPS in that pouch for two reasons: first, if I happened to leave it in a visible spot in my car, most people wouldn't expect a PSU pouch meant for carrying extra wires and cords to contain a GPS, thus removing the theft-worthiness of it at first glance; and, second, I still wanted to provide my glass touchscreen GPS with at least moderate protection when I threw it in my handbag. That Fatal1ty pouch covered both of those bases, but me being the picky person I can be, I just wasn't thrilled that the pouch wasn't a perfect fit for my GPS.

Enter this zippered "hard" case by Amazon. Honestly, I can't imagine that any branded product sold by or for GPS makers could be any better suited to comfortably holding your 5" GPS unit. The interior is clean and simple, with a mesh pouch built into one side, and an entirely open side for the other half of the clamshell-style case. The sides are attached with short but wide elastic strips that prevent the case from opening too far, and the interior is lined with a flocked, pumpkin-colored fabric.

My only slight qualm with this case is its page declaration that it's a "hard" case. As my subject heading says, it's more along the lines of a "firm" case, IMHO. The sides are clearly formed of some sort of reinforced cardboard-weight substance, but I'm not even sure that that's made of plastic pieces, because of the give from it when I poke a side. So, while this case DOES give my GPS better protection than my old modular PSU cable pouch did, I can't say that I really consider it to be a hard case. I can easily see the sides giving in if this case were to get squished in my purse (of course, considering all the crap I tend to carry in my oversized purses at any given time, that's not really a big surprise in MY case).

So, overall, I'm glad I've got this case for my GPS. It DOES provide more protection than my old method did, and the Amazon-branded product is just as good as anything else out there, but it's not truly a hard case in my opinion. It's spacious enough to hold the GPS unit within the pouch, with no loose rattling around of it in there, while also holding the power cable in the open side, but my suction cup windshield mount does NOT fit in the case with everything else in there. Does the job at a reasonable price, and well, so if this case is cheaper than the others you're considering for protecting your GPS, I give it a hearty thumbs-up, but if you see something else offered at a lower price, I would be hard-pressed to say that this item would do a better job of protecting it than any other "hard" GPS case.

Go with the cheapest option, be it this case, or another. I would expect the level of protection to be the same, either way.

5.0 out of 5 stars It was worth waiting for this case, July 17, 2011
The case is large enough to store the car adaptor cord and the 5" system. It is sturdy enough to withstand bumps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic but Good, August 31, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was sent an Amazon Basics Hard Carrying Case for a 5" GPS from Amazon Vine. Here's my take on it.

This is a hard carrying case in black nylon with EVA padding. A nylon zipper opens three sides and two stretchy bands keep the top from opening completely. A stretchy pocket in the lid holds the power cable. Outside dimensions are approximately 6 ˝ inches by 5 inches by 2 inches deep. My Tom Tom 1505 GPS device fits inside perfectly, although there isn't room to accommodate the car charger. Still, the sleek design protects the GPS unit from bumps or scratches and is ideal for travel or storage. Had the case accommodated the car charger, I would have given it a five-star rating.

4.0 out of 5 stars holds Garmin 50 and car charger comfortably, July 25, 2012
Length:: 0:53 Mins

I can't say if the separation between the GPS and the car charger will prevent the car charger from scratching the GPS. It seems like it will though (The car charger also doesn't have any sharp edges). I feel there should have been another piece of material on the other side to keep the car charger in to make me feel positive that the car charger wouldn't scratch the GPS screen. You can always turn the GPS around, and the plastic zipper will not scratch the screen when inserting it. The fabric protecting the GPS seems to be sufficient, although I would have preferred it come up a little higher to completely cover the screen.

The material of the exterior shell usually holds up in the sun. If you've ever had one of those Case Logic Nylon CD cases Case Logic CDW-92 Nylon CD/DVD Wallet 100-Capacity (Black), you'll know that this material stands up extremely well to heat. Leather or faux usually doesn't stand up as well. BTW, Amazon also makes a faux Leather version, but you can only fit the GPS in. You'll have to find somewhere else to store your car charger. AmazonBasics Faux Leather Carrying Case for 5-Inch GPS I personally prefer to keep everything together. Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect home for my Garmin 1450LMT. <3, November 3, 2011
This case is everything I hoped it would be. I've had my GPS for a few months now, but put off buying it a case since they were all really pricy. $19 for a SOFT case? No thanks. This AmazonBasics case has been out of stock for a long time, but I waited for it to become available since they were charging $10 for a hard case. It came back into stock for $8 and change! When I first ordered it, all I was hoping for was a case that could comfortably hold my Garmin 1450LMT. It holds my GPS in its little pocket and has room for the charger as well. Note: don't expect a hard plastic, completely crush-proof case. It does have a little give when smushed together. Unless you're lugging it around at the bottom of your tool box, you should be good to go. Well done, AmazonBasics. Well done. <3

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case for my Nuvi 1450 LMT, September 19, 2011
Overall this is a great case to give your gps good protection. The case is more of a stiff case rather than a hard case, but still better than a soft case.

PROS

-looks great and feels well made
-space for the gps and car charger (even with the traffic receiver being built in to the charger)

THINGS I WOULD HAVE LIKED TO SEE

-better divider/gps slot
-----I wish the little slab that held the gps was thicker and higher, thicker so that there was more protection from the charger scratching the screen and taller so it covered the whole screen. I have the screen facing the outside of the case to avoid this, but i would prefer to have the screen facing the inside.

-padding
-----There is really no padding in this case besides the case itself. The case feels tough enough while still having flex to absorb shock, but i would have liked to have seen some padding

Overall a great case, and even though i think some things could be better, for the price its an amazing case that offers good protection for your gps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well designed and big enough for the power cord (for the car) as well, September 24, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The nice thing about this case is that if you put a 5 inch GPS in it there is still room for the car power cord. I was forever losing the cord as my old case barely fit the unit.

The outside is not a hard shell but a stiff foam. The zipper is sturdy and easy to zip.

Great case at a good price.

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit clunky, but great for the price, November 24, 2011
Mainiac (Portland, Maine, USA) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got this case for my TomTom VIA 1505. It's a good price, and holds the GPS and the car cord with room to spare. I think in part it's the "room to spare" that I don't like, but then, with my older, smaller GPS units, I put the unit in the case and didn't worry about packing the cord in the case. I think I prefer that system, but I can see that some people would prefer to pack everything together, which would be good, for example, if you were taking the GPS on a plane for use in a rental car.

Pros:
1. Sized for a 5" GPS, and fits my TomTom (with attached suction cup).
2. Zipper goes around three sides and a bit on the back side; elastic on sides keeps case from flopping around when not fully zipped.
3. Inside stretch pocket for holding extra stuff.

Cons:
1. Not actually "hard"... it will smush if you step on it, for example.
2. Too big for what I'd like to carry in it (not necessarily tru for you!)
3. The elastic is too short for my tastes; I'd like the case to open a full 90 degrees with ease (it does open that far, but you're pulling on it)

It does the job, and I'm happy to have it. It's just not anything to ooh and aah over.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fits TomTom XXL 540TM, September 18, 2011
NW twin (Morristown, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
Bought for my TomTom XXL 540TM 5-Inch Widescreen GPS. The clamshell is asymmetric; 1/3 thickness side has an interior mesh pocket that's stretchy enough to hold the TomTom with its standard windshield suction mount attached, but also snug enough to hold the TomTom without the suction mount attached. I store it with the screen facing the orange lining. The 2/3 thickness side is just roomy enough to stuff the car charger in fairly easily after folding up the cable. Zipper holds it shut securely. Elastics allow the clamshell to open just wide enough (I think I would have liked it a tiny bit wider). Orange lining is a nice touch that makes it easy to see inside.
As other reviewers have said "hard" doesn't mean designed for stepping on. Rather it protects the GPS screen from being scratched and it's rigid enough to hold its shape, presenting a nice neat package that's easy to pack and carry. Pleased with this purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars But what about the suction cup mount?, September 28, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For a couple of years I've been using a Nintendo DS Carrying Case for my GPS because it was like 50% the price of a "Specifically made for GPS'-branded" carrying case. If the shoe fits....

Well, why do you want a carrying case? It's because you're probably travelling and you don't want your nice GPS-unit getting all scratched up or simply thrown into a backpack or luggage, etc.

I've flown some 550k miles over the years and I take my GPS with me everywhere and I always bring the standard-issue suction-cup mount. The only problem is..there's not a carrying case out there that truly accomodates the suction cup mount. Sure I could go buy a folding-travel-size suction cup mount, but I'm the same guy that was using a Nintendo DS carrying case because it was cheaper.

So is this carrying case better than the Nintendo DS case? Yes, this is nicer made (the DS case started fraying near the zipper, making it tough to zip, but then again it is well-used for many years). Also I can fully zip the suction cup mount inside, BUT it is a pretty tight fit, as in, I'm basically cramming it in there and moving the GPS unit to one side so I don't put too much direct pressure on the unit itself and holding it closed while I zipper it back together. That's kind of hard to describe, but, does this case work, well, it works 4-stars worth.

The only time I will give 5-stars to a GPS carrying case is if somehow they accomodate the standard-issue suction cup mount's dimensions. If any of you were in band, imagine a carrying case for a French Horn, or even a Trumpet. The manufacturers need to think outside-the-box and realize that a simple rectangle houses a rectangular GPS unit, but what the heck are you going to mount your GPS to? The case should have a molded slot to accomodate the suction cup mount, because realistically, that's what you are going to travel with.

Rate and Discover Movies