Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Gear Up for Football STEM Toys & Games

I have previously tested the AmazonBasics AA Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries (in white wrappers), and concluded that they are just rebranded Sanyo eneloop AA Batteries. When I first heard about the new AmazonBasics High-Capacity Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries, my immediate suspicion is that those are rebranded Sanyo eneloop XX batteries. That's why I purchased this product for testing, just to satisfy my own curiosity.

I measured a set of those AmazonBasics 'high-capacity' AA batteries, using my La Crosse BC1000 Battery Charger/Analyzer. Here are my findings:

- Right out of the box, the average remaining charge was 1204mAh, or 48% of the rated 2500mAh capacity. Date code on them says '2014-02', but just like other eneloop batteries, they were not fully charged when then left factory.

- After just one recharge/discharge cycle, the average capacity jumped to 2547mAh.

- After another two more recharge/discharge cycles, the average capacity settled at 2555mAh. The spread is very tight between 2510 and 2610mAh, which indicates good quality control.

The above behavior is nearly identical to that of the Sanyo XX cell, which I have previously tested in 2011.

Mechanically, the AmazonBasics high-capacity cells appear identical to the Sanyo XX. Refer to the photo I uploaded to the 'Customer Images' section, and you will see that they have exactly the same shape for positive terminals, same texture on their wrappers, even down to the same 'vent hole' design.

I should note that the Duracell 'Ion Core' AA Rechargeable Batteries also have identical electrical and mechanical characteristic as the Sanyo XX and AmazonBasics High-Capacity batteries. The Duracell batteries are marketed as just 2400mAh, even though they were tested to be over 2500mAh in capacity. I believe this is done for price differentiation purpose.

Bottom Line:
As of this writing, you can get an 8-pack of Amazon High-Capacity AA batteries for less cost than a 4-pack of eneloop XX batteries. So obviously the AmazonBasics version is a great bargain. My advice is to grab them - before Amazon gets greedy and jacks up the price.

One important note:
The AmazonBasic High-Capacity AA (or Sanyo XX, or Duracell Ion Core) is fatter than a normal-capacity NiMH AA cell, which itself is fatter than a typical alkaline AA cell. So it may not fit if your appliance has extremely tight battery compartment.

[Update on Dec 10, 2014]
Long-term self-discharge data: Tested one pair of AmazonBasics AA high-capacity batteries after 5 months in storage. The average remaining charge is 2175mAh, or 85% of the original capacity. This is even better than my previous 5-month test result for Sanyo XX batteries which showed 2040mAh, or 78% of original capacity.
8787 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Size: AA 4 PackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
THE battery of choice for electronics, similar to Eneloop XX

The precharged (sometimes called hybrid) NiMh (NOT simple conventional NiMh) batteries are about the best alternative to Lithium AA batteries for electronic devices such as digital cameras. These Amazon Basics are similar to the Eneloop XX high capacity cells at a lower cost eneloop XX 2500mAh Typical / 2400 mAh Minimum, High Capacity, 4 Pack AA Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries. My tests show (see picture - using La Crosse BC9009 smart charger) that they can last up to 75 minutes or 27% longer in digital cameras compared to the older generation 2000 mAh Amazon Basic Precharged and Eneloop 2000 mAh batteries. An excellent deal.

In depth explanation: The reason is that despite the high capacity claims of the NON precharged variety NiMh batteries, they self discharge, and even when they are used right after a charge, they tend to loose voltage more rapidly. With smart electronic devices, they will shut off when the voltage drops below a certain predetermined level (this has been between 1.15 and 1.20 volts in my experience). As a result a higher capacity conventional NiMh battery may give a dead signal quicker than a hybrid/pre charged NiMh battery with a lower rated capacity. You can see this on my picture where the highest rated capacity 2600mAh La Crosse battery was the first to drop below the cutoff point in my test. True it would have lasted the longest in a flashlight (when freshly charged), but not in an electronic device. The precharged cells are now in a third generation where you can choose very high capacities, or up to 1800 recharge cycles. These Amazon cells are the high capacity, and lower 500 recharge cycles rating. The graph is Lacrosse conventional 2600 mAh, Duracell precharged 2000mAh, Eneloop precharged second gen 2000 mAh, Amazon second gen precharged 2000 mAh, and the current Amazon Basics 3rd gen 2400min 2500 mAh rated precharged batteries (Top light blue plot). The capacity as reported by the La Crosse 9009 after two conditioning discharge cycles was 2585 mAh.

Note: Test results back up in user images
review image
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 9, 2014
Size: AA 8 PackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
THE QUICK TAKE: The AmazonBasics High Capacity AA Rechargeable batteries are a nice product, but that comes at a higher price (at current pricing). Unless you need the extra capacity of a 2400 mAh battery, you may want to get the regular 2000 mAh Eneloop or AmazonBasics batteries at a lower price. Similarly, if you don't need to store them before using them, conventional rechargeables will do the job.

The product description on the Amazon product page has a good summary, if you're not familiar with the advantages of "pre-charged" or "low-self discharge" batteries. This is a somewhat new technology, available in the last 10 years or so; the batteries are slow to lose their charge, so they can be sold charged and ready to use; and will hold a charge for some time. It's only relatively recently that higher-capacity versions have been available.

If cost isn't important, and you don't want to have to figure out which battery is which - then sure, stock up on these. But given the cost, most people will want to use these where they are needed.

DO YOU NEED THE CAPACITY? You're paying more for an extra 25% capacity; unless you have a high-drain device that will use that charge, you may be able to use the regular capacity version - such as the AmazonBasics 8 Pack AA Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries, 1000 Cycle (Typical 2000mAh, Minimum 1900mAh) or eneloop AA 1800 cycle, Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries, 8 Pack. Cameras are a good example of a use where the extra capacity could be important. Slower-draining children's toys, on the other, may not need these batteries.

DO YOU NEED LOW SELF DISCHARGE? If you're looking for a high-capacity battery and you don't plan to store the batteries before using them - for example, you're able to charge your camera batteries each night - there's no need to pay extra for the LSD feature.

CYCLES: Note that these high capacity batteries also state a life of 500 cycles, versus 1000 cycles or more on the regular capacity batteries. Many people overstate the importance of this - if you use even 500 cycles, you're getting your money's worth; and honestly, if you're recharging them within a few days of use, you don't need LSD batteries - regular rechargeables will do. Still, it's another example of how you may want to use these batteries selectively.

USE A SMART CHARGER: You'll want to use a charger that charges each battery individually, often referred to as a smart charger.

The ones I received have a black top, and are made in Japan.
on January 8, 2015
After one discharge/recharge cycle 7 out of 8 of my batteries are showing a capacity around 2500 mAh. This was corresponds to what I have been reading in many of the other reviews. However, a single battery was DOA. It doesn't register in my BT-C2000 charger, and zero potential according to my multimeter. All the batteries show the same manufacture date and there is no external signs indicating damage. I guess I got unlucky and got a dud.

Over all I am pretty satisfied considering I am still play less for each battery, even with the DOA, then I would for Eneloop Pro AA.
review image
VINE VOICEon July 21, 2014
Size: AA 8 PackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Amazon Basics are a great value if you're looking for rechargeable batteries that last a long time. They come conveniently pre-charged and ready to use out of the box. In my testing, they had about 85% power left straight out of the box and lasted 3 weeks (8 hours a day) in my Apple Magic Mouse. Each battery is 2,600maH which is really nice since they can compete very well with alkaline batteries that typically have the same capacity.

The batteries charge quickly within 3-4 hours and have no compatibility issues with my Apple brand AA battery charger. They stop charging as soon as they hit 100%, so there's no worry if you leave them on the charger overnight for a few extra hours as it won't harm the batteries. They should work with any Ni-MH battery charger, so it's not a surprise. Just be careful and don't try placing these into an older lithium ion battery charger because you may potentially damage them!

Alkaline batteries can cost a lot of money, especially if you buy a trustworthy brand like Energize or Duracell. These batteries have saved me a ton of money since it costs cents to recharge, and they last for weeks. They even last a long time if you let them sit without use, so they're always powered and ready to use thanks to the Ni-HM technology. I would highly recommend these and would buy more if I ever need more rechargeable batteries.
on May 13, 2014
Size: AA 8 PackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I tested the capacities all 8 batteries with my LaCrosse charger. While most of the batteries exceeded the 2400 mAh rating, 25% of them fell far below. My results are below, with the mAh results:

1 - 2880
2 - 2640
3 - 1306
4 - 3150
5 - 2910
6 - 2680
7 - 1676
8 - 2790

That's a mean average of about 2500 mAh, but two of the batteries are only 54-70% of the rating.
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 31, 2015
They work well? I preformed comparative mAh test (using a Lacrosse battery charger) with four AmazonBasics AAA H.C. batteries versus four Eneloop AAA (first gen) batteries. The data is as follows (in mAh) - AmazonBasics AAA H.C.: 866; 892; 910; 912 & Eneloop (first gen): 818; 821; 828; 830.
The min mAh rating printed on the batteries for the Amazon Basics H.C.and Eneloop (first gen) is 800 and 750, respectively. I have no 'in the field' performance review since I just purchased these batteries. However, I have been using Eneloops for two and a half years and they are performing great. I have high hopes for AmazonBasics AAA H.C. batteries. I came here to answer some questions I had had before making this purchase....and hopefully this helped.
review image review image review image
on July 26, 2014
The diameter of these batteries varies slightly from one to another, but enough that in one camera about half of them had to be pried out if pushed in inadvertently. This happened with two different sets. I have used this camera for years, and no other battery had ever found the clearance at all tight.
on July 17, 2014
used this in my Fenix LD22 and 4sevens aa after two cycles two of the 8 batteries started to leak I even heard one make A pop sound I am returning this to Amazon THEY SUCK in just glad they did not ruin my flash lights.
on December 31, 2014
These cells cause high-draw devices to behave inconsistently.

Both my high-end flashlights (Zebralight SC52, Nitecore EA41) cannot go into their most powerful modes when using these cells. However, both lights work well with normal white eneloops.

My Canon 580ex flash pod won't cycle reliably when driven by these cells. It will say its batteries are dead, then a few minutes later it will work again.

At one point I took 4 cells out of a flash pod, measured their voltage, and found one of 4 was dead while the others were OK. This was strange because all 4 are the same age, and have seen the same usage and charging cycles. Other reviewers have commented that these batteries have varying capacities. That would explain this experience.

IMO, the inconsistent performance makes these batteries more trouble than they are worth. I'll put the ones I've got in children's toys where performance doesn't matter and never buy them again.